Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
James Morganson

So, as long as it was connected to a generator or some kind… alright, that makes sense. Dad probably had one or two around for his work, in case of black-outs or whatever so it wasn’t too weird. But how would it be set up every night, unless the generators were running at all times?“So complex stuff is right out in any case, but lights and other simple stuff would still work with an external generator running. In that case, things like hand-cranked flashlights would also presumably function? Those are useful tools we can bring along when we go exploring.” Seeing Sam’s interest, I also ask. “What sort of research would we be assisting with, Doctor?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Viola does indeed help as instructed, skipping after Mary and finally taking a cup of tea to sip on very politely. Demons she doesn't really know anything about, so she listens attentively, chiming in when Sam starts talking about computers and gestures at the giant contraption in the middle of the room. "Don't forget about Mary." she says. "She's smaller. And cuter. All computers should be like that. Much easier to talk to as well without the..." she tops to mime typing on a keyboard, which ends up looking more like vigorously playing the piano. "Also, Flynn's computer didn't make tea."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FP: 4/4

The Doctor and his... assistant?... and equipment are a little much to take in, but I accept the tea and nod along with his explanations. It's when he starts talking about mechanical devices and the Dark Hour that I start to get thoughtful. So machines without electrical components can still work? That's... interesting. You can't really circumvent the spark-plug part of an internal combustion engine, but... maybe there's some kind of motor I could make work? ... Not that I might need it, but it'd be nice to have the option, especially if we have to go places. And, I'll admit, just to make me feel better. What can I say? There's one place in this world where I shine, and that's behind a wheel. Steam and petrol motors do open a few doors, but this is gonna take some thought, as well as figuring out just how much I need.

"Appreciate knowing that," I say. "Not that I think I'll be swinging a chainsaw around in the Dark Hour, but it's nice to know what you're working with. And... yeah. What do you need from us?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
FP4/4

Today is a day of strange meetings, it seems! First my friends, then Igor, then Christopher, and now Mary and Dr. Frankenstein. It's also a day of Jester Shadow Girls running their mouths, as I shoot a glare at Viola when she starts to ramble about how computers should make tea. I should snark, but instead I'm focusing on Mary. And the supercomputer. Both of them. How did the doctor--it--I--

"Wow." I catch myself and pick my jaw off the floor before I do something I'll regret. "You made both of these?" I nod my head enthusiastically. I want a robot body...or maybe I should give Talos a robot body first. Can you manifest a Persona like this? Actually, speaking of Talos...

"I definitely feel like helping you look into these things, but, uh, question. Have you ever heard of, well, COMP Daemons and Shadows, like...uh..." I raise two fingers up in the air, then cross them. "How similar are they, deep down?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Christie Fairchild
FP: 5/4

I... I had gotten the impression that Viola was somewhat out there, but this was on a whole other level. I didn't even know who this Flynn was, but most computers didn't make tea! Mary wasn't even a computer! What kind of education did this girl even receive? What was her house life like? I couldn't even begin to imagine. Really, I wasn't even sure I wanted to. I mean, I was doing my best to take the whole situation in stride, but...

"Um, Viola? Mary is an incredible machine and all, but she's not a computer, she's... I guess an android? Is that right, Doctor? The point is that they're not the same thing."

She really was well-made though. At a distance, I wasn't sure you'd be able to tell that she was a machine. There was the whole unblinking, unchanging expression thing that was a little off-putting, but besides that her appearance was remarkably human-like. Really, really incredible, I had to admit.

"...Oh, um, right. I'd be happy to help with any research as well, if it meant having a way to deal with these demons."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Goumaden

Victor retains his smirk at the new round of questioning. "To begin, yes, Mary is one of my creations. My history with artificial life forms stretches back even further than my history as a demonologist, back to my time in Geneva. However, those times need not be elaborated upon. Moving on, the large computer tower you're referring to is simply the newest model of what is, by now, a very old concept. I'd like to preface this by stating that I did not create the COMP, nor have I personally met the creator of it. Before it's invention in the wake of the advent of transistor technology in the 1940s, there were more...archaic means of capturing demons. Quite literally cramming them into special tubes that would seal them away until summoned again. Under the right conditions, one could perform a ritual to combine two or more demons together into something entirely different. I myself have overseen several fusions performed in this manner from my time in Tokyo."

He shuffles back towards the supercomputer and begins gathering a series of documents from a table near it, returning and passing them out. They're several diagrams of various demons, talk about values that only code junkies would understand, a sketch of the back of a Persona card with some theories about them scrawled on them. Most interestingly, there's a sketch of what seems to be the COMP, given the arm-mounted keyboard. The notes are all in Japanese, however, but the sketches seem to paint a decent enough picture: the gauntlet computer runs three cables: one to a power supply worn around the waist, and two into either a monocle or set of goggles.

"Having talked to Igor, it seems the principles of fusing together a new 'Persona' is nearly identical in theoretical concept, which led to a bit of an epiphany: as the COMP stores demons in the form of data, in theory I need only input the data for the 'Arcana' of the demon alongside its tribe and feed it into some card-stock and print it out to create the same type of card he would use in his fusion process. However, both this method and the other way around are merely theoretical. Which is where you come in: you need only obtain both a demon and a 'Persona' card so that I may test my theory in both directions starting from both ends, I.E. turning a demon into a Persona card that Igor recognizes as the genuine, and turning a Persona card into a living, breathing demon. Given your willingness to help, I think it's safe to say you'll agree. In which case," he looks back over at Mary. "would you mind retrieving my two COMPs from storage?"

Mary gives a simple nod and heads over to a bookshelf. She slides the bookshelf to the side, revealing a wall safe. She proceeds to input the rotations needed to open the lock faster in about three seconds, opening it up and retrieving the aforementioned power gauntlet with a set of snazzy blue goggles, as well as...what appears to be a handheld gaming device. She places them on the table for you to inspect.

"What you have here is an original model COMP and one of the latest models, made to resemble a more innocuous object. Both are equally capable of all the functions a COMP can perform: two-way language translation, scanning, storage and summoning. Decide amongst yourselves who will take which. I would suggest you start your search near one of the hot spots for supernatural activity. Ones I know of include the tunnel between this city and the next, and the local rock quarry on the edge of town."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"My vote's for the rock quarry," I say, looking over the COMPs. This electronic stuff is a little outside my comfort zone, but I suspect my friends will know more. "There's a rumor going around about a kid disappearing there, which makes me think there's stuff going down. And if people are in danger... well, we should do something, you know?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Riiiiiight. The rock quarry….” drat drat drat! Okay, don’t panic. There’s no guarantee Dad owns the place, and even if he does it’s not like he’s egotistical enough to stick ‘Morganson’ everywhere, and even if he is it’s not like anyone heard me when I mentioned my surname, aaaaand even if they did it’s not like they would think I’m that same Morganson. “Sure, that sounds like a plan. I’m pretty familiar with the area so I can make up a route for the non-hikers among us.”

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Nu-uh." Viola tells Christie. "She's got a CPU and an Opera-ting system, she told me herself. She's just smarter and more walky and talky. A person that's also a computer." she says, giving Christie a defiant look. "I might not know much about this world but I'm not stupid."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Sam Whittaker
FP: 5, Boost: Quick To Deny, Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

"I'll just take this." I pluck the handheld COMP off the table and give it an enterprising heft. Seems solid enough. "Nothing against the goggles, of course. They just don't really work with glasses, y'know?" I take a seat at one of the tables and begin a closer examination of the COMP. It's a pretty good copy, I'll give it that much. If I wasn't attention, I'd think it was just modded. I reach for the power switch and... Wait. That is a horrible idea.

"So, anything I should know before I turn this on? Any UI issues or anything?"

"Oh, and I say we go to the tunnels. If we're going to have to go to some mystery spot, it might as well be one we're all equally far from."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The game-device-like COMP's been picked up (maybe claimed?) by Sam, so I reach for the set of goggles to look them over. They're a little weird-looking, sure, but it looks like they wouldn't impede your vision or anything. Better to be sure, though. "These things don't block your peripheral vision or anything, right? With the antenna box? I'd put them on to try that out, but... y'know, kind of rude?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
FP4/4

drat, I'm going to have to convince Sam and Laurel to let me see if I can't interface those things with Talos. Later, though. There's a little part of me that still can't believe I'm talking to Dr. Frankenstein, or that he's graduated from biology to computer intelligence. "Sure, we can go stick our noses in the quarry." Alright, I guess we're the Scooby Gang now.

"Viola can be the mascot."

Wait, did I say that out loud?

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Yes!" she says, unclear whether that's in response to Stefan's suggestion or the general idea of exploring places. "We should go inspect the quarray." Apparently she's since pieced together that it's something different than a quandary, if only for the fact that people seem to be talking about physically going there. She still doesn't pronounce it quite right though.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Yes, she might have a CPU and all that," I continue to try and explain to Viola, "but that doesn't mean she's a computer. Being walky and talky is what disqualifies her in the first place."

From the sounds of it, the group had for the most part decided we're heading to the quarries. But... staying out late wasn't really something I was accustomed to, especially so far from home. At least the tunnels would have been closer to Norton, as Sam said. But the Honey Bee kids mentioned something about a missing person? Here? It was something I wanted to look into, yet...

"...Um, I'm fine with investigating the quarry, I suppose. I'll need to text my family I'll be home late though. And we should start thinking about transportation as well; the trains aren't going to be running after the Dark Hour."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Okay, better get ready to face the music then. “Alright, I count that as 5 for the quarry and one for the tunnels. We’ve got a bit of time before midnight so maybe we should prepare a bit before heading in? Quarries are dangerous enough places during work hours, let alone the dead of night. I can pop home and get some gear ready to make things a bit easier; flares, boots, flashlights, rope and things. Oh, is anyone here a designated first aider? Having more then one person in the group would be good if any… accidents happen. Mundane or supernatural.” I suppose if I’m going to pick up some gear, I don’t have time to run everyone through some basic “health and safety”and “first aid” crash courses. Ah well, I’ll just have to be a little extra alert when shepherding the newbies along.

“Well, er. I don’t know about getting back to Norton, Christie, but there is an Inn here pretty close to the train station, so maybe if it comes to it you could spend the night. Or, maybe, you could, perhaps, stay over at one of our places?” I gesture around to Viola, Laurel and myself. “My house could… probably fit you all in for the day? You know, if it comes to it.”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Staying over, huh... I guess that was an option. When was the last time I had stayed over at a friend's place? Hm... I actually couldn't remember. Well, it'd be a nice change of pace I supposed. Before that though, that was an awful amount of equipment that James wanted to collect. Not that he was wrong to want to be so prepared, but it was a lot for one person to handle.

"If you wouldn't mind having me over, I'd appreciate it. By the way, do you need a hand getting all of that ready? With six of us here, it's quite a bit for one person to handle alone."

Pausing for a second, a sudden thought occurs to me. Turning to the rest I add,

"Also, maybe we should head over to the quarry before the Dark Hour sets in, to get the lay of the land and all that before... well, anything dangerous might happen."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

"Uh... okay, sure. If you don't mind helping me haul a few things. If we're meeting everyone else at the quarry, then we can prioritise the essential things on the way over. It'll be a bit of a hike from my house to the quarry though. If you're up for it we can go now. Oh, uh, as long as that's going to be the plan?" I cast a look around to the rest of the party, looking for confirmation.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP4/4

I'm halfway to pulling out my phone to check the time when I remember that time flows weird here. "Uh, yeah, sure, I think we got time. And I can help you haul stuff. I'm dying, not dea---IIIIIiii mean I'm dying to get a look at this sort of thing with other people for myself." Goddammit, Stefan, don't let your guard down like that. Last thing you want is for this to turn into a pity party.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"If we need to bring extra stuff to the quarry," I say, "I've got a car. I don't think it could hold six people and a bunch of gear at once, unless we all get real friendly, but there's always two trips."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Goumaden

"The COMPs are fairly self-explanatory in their function. If the goggles give you trouble, I can have them refitted. I look forward to seeing you all again." Victor heads back to his studies as you all make your way out.

A Simple Supply Run

The trek out to James' manor is fairly uneventful. It's to be expected, considering it's only around 7 PM. Those who haven't been to Honey Bee before will note that there are obvious signs of places where houses once were along the road to this home that were removed, likely due to driving down the property values of the large manor. Speaking of which, this is some very well-made stuff, not even close to the McMansion you likely expected. It rivals several of the private homes in Norton with its size, lawn and condition. The outdoor lights are on, and the gate opens up with the proper 4-digit sequence from James as always. When you step inside, the place seems empty enough that you may be able to just go in and out without--

"You're late. And you've brought riff-raff in without even calling in beforehand."

On an armchair in the corner of the room sits a very imposing older man, looking to be in his early to mid 30s. Given the fanciful old-style silk clothing, you imagine they're the owner of this house, and from the blonde hair, it's safe to infer this is James' father. He continues giving an icy stare to the three of you, continuing the lecture.

"Now just what could be so important that you'd find yourself unable to check in for over three hours after school lets out, hm?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

poo poo! The first time I see him in two days and he’s back home from working early? Alright James, calm down and keep that temper under control. Let’s not air the families dirty laundry out in public.

“Da-Father.” I begin, stutter barely noticeable. I step forward and nod my head slightly. “I apologise. I did not know you would be finished with your work so early today. For the most part, I stayed behind at school; Our Biology teacher put on an additional workshop for those interested in the subject and I decided to attend.”

I gesture to the other two with me. “These are a pair from a group of classmates I met there, Stephan and Christie. When I mentioned the local wild-life in class, the group were quite interested in going for a close up view. We three came back here to pick up a few hiking supplies while the others find a place to start. If I had known you would be here Father, I would have called ahead.”

----

Okay, let’s very “carefully” massage the truth and Dad’s temper. There’s almost no outright lies here afterall, just a version of the truth that doesn't include crazy clowns or personas.

Massage the truth and Dads temper: 4dF -1+3 for the careful approach makes +2.
Since I am the Apple of Daddies Eye I'll invoke that as well, to make it a +4

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
A Slightly Simplified Supply Run

Careful Overcome attempt: Success.

He raises an eyebrow, then seems placated. "I see. It seems trusting a servant to notify you rather than doing so myself was a mistake in judgement on my part. But still, you intend to explore the wilderness again, at this hour? You do remember your curfew, correct? At home by 9, and in bed by 10, and not a minute later on either. I expect all the equipment returned in working order as well. And, James? Do not go into the secondary storage. There's nothing in there that you will need to bring on a simple nature walk."

The basement storage has several emergency situation supplies, as well as extra items that would be used at the quarry: flares, first-aid kits, rope, pitons, flashlights (with a pair of hand-crank models), backpacks, et cetera. As befitting someone of such wealth, no expense is spared in the stock and quality of these items. Of course, any of the actual spare equipment, flood lamps, hard hats with built-in-lights, pickaxes and the like are, as far as you know, stored in the secondary storage, behind a metal door in the basement connected to the main storage. That said, you have orders not to check in, and you should be fine with the materials you have now...

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 13, 2016

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Seriously dad, curfew? We’re doing this again? ”Overprotective rear end-hole.” Well despite all that, the meeting went way better then expected, considering I didn’t call ahead with the fact I was bringing guests. And they were so clearly unprepared to accept company.

I move between the various aisles in our basement, ticking off a mental checklist and carefully avoiding the imposing door to our secondary storage. I don’t actually need to of course; I’ve been down here hundreds of times before, both with and without permission, and I know where everything is off the top of my head. It's just a thing I do before every expedition, a little good luck ritual of sorts. As I move, I talk to the seemingly stunned Christie and Stephan. “Right, slightly new plan. We pick out the absolute necessities only; flashlights, some rope, anything else absolutely essential, and that’s it. We go out for our “hike” then I come back here for nine, and put everything back. When the dark hour hits, I rush down here, grab everything again and sprint to the quarry where I meet all of you. I know these woods like the back of my hand, so it shouldn’t take me more then fifteen minutes. When the dark hour is close to finishing, I come back and put everything away again. Doesn’t matter if I’m a bit late; it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to sneak back in.” I remember something and turn quickly to Chrisite. “Uhm, we may need to put that slumber party on hold for a while.” I look between the pair and ask. “Everybody okay with that?”

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP4/4

I want to say something about apples and trees or programs and forks but all that comes out is "Your dad's a real jack--" before I shut up. "Uh...I guess you have to live with him. You know that already." Seriously, who did that guy think he was, calling Christie and I riff-raff?! rear end in a top hat.

"The velvet club people talked about how the dark hour could be dangerous." Especially if you're connected to me, is the unspoken extra. "How far is it from the quarry to here? You think you can make it?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

So... that was Mr. Morganson. James' dad. He was a little different than what I was expecting. A lot different, actually, and not exactly in a pleasant way either. But it wasn't really my place to judge, and at least he trusted us enough to go wandering around with his son. Well, to an extent, anyways. Giving a shrug to James I say,

"Don't worry, I'll figure something out regarding a place to stay for the night."

I hoped I would, anyways. There was an inn, he had said earlier, and maybe Laurel could give us lodging. Listening to Stefan, I give a nod and add,

"Even if you know the woods, I'm worried about you going through them alone during the Dark Hour. Maybe we can wait for you close by before it hits midnight, and can walk with you back to the quarry?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP3/4

I’m a little distracted ticking things on and crossing them off mentally to get the full gist of what Stephan says right away; something about my dad? It’s only when he and Christie start to mention their concerns that my concentration is broken.

“It’s not that far really.” I quickly map out the quickest trail in my mind to confirm. “We’re going straight to the quarry after we’re finished here, so we’ll find out soon. I have done a bit of exploring in the Dark Hour before now and I havn’t… encountered anything so far. But there’s a first time for everything.” I suck in a break and think before continuing. “Yeah, that could work Christie. On the way over we could pick a spot to meet up at… or… I guess the last option is I sneak out early. I’m not fond of that idea, but the option is there...”

I can’t think of any other possibilities, so I finish up with. “Let’s make the trip and meet the others first. I can judge the sort of distance involved and find out what everyone else thinks!”

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Reunion at the Rock Quarry

At roughly 8 PM, James and his duo catch up to the rest of you at the entrance to the Honey Bee quarry, supplies in tow, and not a moment too soon as darkness falls with the complete setting of the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZw9Q3C4fM8

Ordinarily just a big hole in the ground with several concentric circles creating walkways further down, this place went fairly deep yet not particularly wide, likely due to the forestry blocking it on three sides and roadways on the fourth. As you reach the perimeter fence, the sign states the following: "Property of Diego Morganson. Authorized personnel only." However, given the lack of activity around here, the lock that would ordinarily be on the fence is not here. Obviously it was likely broken off by other explorers or removed due to disuse. There are definitely signs that others have traveled these paths on foot before. In addition to the big pit itself, there is a series of tunnels leading into the mines themselves, as seen by the branching paths of the minecart tracks. One in particular still has it's network of lights active, again indicating recent use.

There's a bit of uneasiness in the air as you step past the signs and onto the grounds themselves. Something definitely doesn't feel quite right with this place, even though it's still not the Dark Hour. As-is, however, you won't know for sure what lies in the depths of this place until you press forward in a particular direction.

OOC: For clarification, the options I had put up were "the lit-up tunnel", "an unlit tunnel", and "the bottom of the quarry".

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Yep. That sure is a quarry. And it's one that's had some activity, so that'll make snooping around a bit harder. Still, it's a place to start.

"Hey, James. Your dad owns this place. You got any idea what somebody would be doing out here this late?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I had to admit, now that I was actually here, there was something exciting about exploring a place like this at night. Of course, I'm sure that once the Dark Hour hit I wouldn't feel so chipper, but I could enjoy it for the moment at least. Handing out supplies to anyone who wanted them, I take a quick glance around the quarry, noticing that there seemed to be three options we had to take. The standout one to me was the lit-up tunnel; after all, light meant someone had been here recently. A worker, maybe, and hopefully someone who could help us find our missing child.

"Perhaps we should investigate that tunnel with the lights still active? If someone is here, then we might want to ask them a few questions before they leave for the night."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP4/4

I grab a flashlight when Christie offers one--I mean, my smartphone has a flashlight in it, but it's always good to have backups.

"Hey, James, does your dad keep people slaving away here all day?" I say as I indicate towards the lit tunnel. "I'm more into computing than mining but I don't think you're supposed to play in quarries after dark...like what we're about to do...uh, let's go see who has the same idea as we do, shall we?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I take the flashlight offered by Christie with a nod, then heft it in my hand a bit. Hopefully these are decent supplies -- otherwise, we might be in trouble. "I agree. We'd better check out the lights first -- or at least have someone scout it, if we're not supposed to be here at the moment, which I'm guessing we aren't, right? And yeah, is there any legit reason someone'd be down there right now?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 3/4

drat, he does own this place. Argh! Around Honeybee it’s harder to find a place he doesn’t own.

“Well, maybe inventory or something administrative. Or maybe maintenance on the equipment when none of it is in use? It’s a bit to late for any of the heavy work, and we would hear the equipment going if it was something like that.” I answer Stephan. “The only quarries I know about Dad owning have been shut down for a while. He might have restarted work here for some reason and not mentioned it to me though... He hasn’t said anything about trespassers or breaking and entering either so I'm pretty sure this is 'official'.”

Laurel brings up a suggestion and I’m quick to interject. “Erm, not to push anyone into doing it, but if some one is going to scout… it probably shouldn’t be Christie or Stephan, in case someone sees and mentions it to Dad… And it definitely shouldn’t be me.” I pause for a second before hastily adding “Or VIola! Definitely not Viola.”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Of course I'm taking a flashlight. I haven't had a chance to recharge my phone all day, and I'm not about to deal with a dead phone in the dark. Besides, I can club someone with it if I really need to. Can't do that with a phone.

"Well, you heard the man. Guess you and me are checking out that light, Laurie." I gesture towards the tunnel with my (unlit) flashlight. "I mean, I'm definitely going to check it out, and you better follow me because I am not going to check this out alone. Alright? Alright, let's go." And so I begin walking down the path, as casual as can be. Is she following me? I'm sure she's following me. Why wouldn't she be following me?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson 3/4

I’m feeling a bit guilty but there’s no way in hell I’m risking things with dad on the chance of being caught. Sam and Laurel are the only two he wouldn’t recognise a description or picture of. Well, he wouldn't recognise Viola either, but sending her on an errand that requires stealth seems… counter-productive. Still, that only applies in places where we're likely to encounter someone.

“While they’re scouting ahead in the lit up tunnels, we can either investigate the other areas and meet back up here in a few minutes, or stay here in case they end up needing help. What do you guys think?”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"I suppose that it'd be in our best interests to scout as much as possible before the Dark Hour hits."

Looking around, there were other tunnels as well. I wasn't entirely sure what, or even if we would find anything, but it couldn't hurt to look.

"How about we investigate one of these unlit tunnels? We can wait to go too far in until everyone's back together."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Of course I'm following Sam. Even for scouting, nobody should be doing this alone, and I'm trying to keep my steps slow and careful. I haven't turned on my flashlight, either, although I've got it in a firm grip in case I need to use it. Or club someone with it, as I think Sam's noticed too -- these things are decent weapons, if we have to fight.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Let's go look at the unlit tunnels!" Viola nods eagerly. Between waiting for people to come back from James' place she seems to have gotten bored and fidgety, having taken apart the flashlight she's holding (though to her credit she's managed to put it back together in working condition). "If someone got lost they're might not where other people are, right? Cause then they wouldn't be very lost."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP4/4

And there's the 800 pound elephant in the room. Or 80 pound Jester Shadow Girl. Whichever!

"Uh...okay..." I say as I look at Viola. "The point is to not get lost, Viola." Still, James does have a point -- I'd probably die a lot faster to a security guard with a gun told to watch out for someone who looks like me than to the Grim Reaper who hasn't shown yet.

"Hey, James. You want me to stick with Viola, keep her from announcing were here on the loudspeakers?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

On the one hand, inflicting a Viola on someone without a full hour prep work is probably a war crime in some countries. On the other hand, he volunteered, so not my problem! On the third hand if they do get in trouble Stephan and Christie are going to be to busy wrangling Viola to get out of there. On the forth hand, someone should probably stay lookout from out here in case anyone comes patrolling. On the fift-

“Let’s all have a look in the unlit tunnels then. We’ll be hidden enough if someone comes patrolling along the face, we’re less likely to encounter someone in an unworked area and we’ll still be close enough to help Laurel and Sam if they get in trouble.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The High Road

Sam and Laurel proceed onwards, into the tunnels marked by lit oil lanterns. Traversing this path is easy, as it seems the workers have cleared the ground and ensured a clear and stable footpath onward. The tunnel itself starts off as a single branch, but splits off soon after, although only one branch remains lit as you go forward. As you continue onward, you can tell that these lit paths were made more recently than the previous ones the further on you go with a specific one, consisting of a sudden 90-degree turn to the left, looking very recent, as if made this same year.

As you continue along, there's one thing that's a bit disconcerting about the path as you go further along: there are, in small numbers, bones scattered along the edges of the paths. Some obviously animal, but as you go deeper, you find ones that look human. The 90-degree turn path even has what seems to be a blackened body towards the end of what you can see, still not yet reduced to bone, with the walkway leading to it more shoddily-made and rushed than the others. The stench of...well, dead body, is in the air.

The Low Road

Meanwhile, the other four of the group, inspecting the unlit tunnels, can see the very clear lines that were taken in order to mine out the mineral deposits and ore veins that were once here. It becomes pitch-black after a few yards, though your light sources hold out perfectly fine as you travel along. The walkway seems relatively untraveled, given the dust that kicks up as four people start traipsing around through them.

However, once you start getting deep enough to warrant writing down or otherwise noting your way back, a curious sight enters your view: another light, albeit this one seems radial and flickering, like a flame-lit lantern. Far more curious is the complete lack of footsteps as the light moves about, not counting your own. Whatever is down here has yet to notice your presence, and from the way the light moves, it may have its back to you at present. For how long, however, remains to be seen.

• Locked thread