Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
James Morganson
FP 4/4 [ ] [X] [ ]

"Yeah probably. Maybe not the lower level workers, but the technicians and managers likely have to sign. There’s a lot of stuff specific to Dad’s company so without NDA's there would be a danger of employees selling industrial secrets to competito- Oh. You mean does he have them sign muuuuurdeeeeer NDA’s."

I let out a long sigh, trying to keep my cool, before continuing. “Look. My Dad is not some Mob boss dealing death whenever he sees fit. He’s just a guy. A pushy, rich rear end in a top hat of a guy, but a guy! I guarantee you, we know more about the Mural and the danger it poses then he does. And where does it say those workers died?” I turn to Stefan. “Finding a fully formed, giant, half naked man mural is pretty drat unnerving. Whose to say they didn’t just quit? Ugh, this isn’t gonna get dropped until we find proof one way or another. I think he’s got nothing to do with this, you think he does, and we’re just going to keep going around in circles sniping at each other. But if there is some small bit of evidence I can placate you with for now, it’s this. If Dad actually was at the centre of all this, if he actually knew that the Mural was dangerous, then why he would not be bothering with all this? If he’s as dangerous as you claim, I would be off to some boarding school in Switzerland for the next five years and you would never be heard from again. If he actually was some criminal mastermind at the heart of some Aztec Death Cult, he would not bother with this charade of a slumber party. Frankie's death is horrific, but I know my Dad was not involved in his death.”

“And no!” I point an accusing finger, darting between Stefan, Laurel and Sam not giving them a chance to talk and form opinions. “Me saying that does not mean you can assume he’s just waiting for the chance to get you! The whole point is he’s not doing that, okay?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4, Stress: -1

"All right, everyone take another deep breath. No one's accusing anyone of murder, James," I state very, very steadily as I glance over at the others. "Everyone's just on edge after everything that's happened, so we're... saying things we don't mean. Right, everyone?"

The glance turns into a glare at that. Seriously, that's the conclusion we're leaping to? Sure, James' dad creeped me out some, but going from that to murderer was a pretty huge leap, especially when the evidence seemed circumstantial at best. Not to say I was some expert detective or anything, but have a little faith in the man, honestly. Of course, going with my gut feeling wasn't exactly a great method either, but it was better than outright assuming James' dad was covering up literal mural killings. Trying to steer the conversation away from this minefield, I say,

"Anyways, um, rather than James' dad, I'm more curious about Mr. Knight. How he knew about the dig is pretty suspicious by itself, but I'm also wondering what he could want from the mural exactly. Pieces of art aren't really part of what G5 usually sells, and that's assuming Mr. Knight didn't know what the mural was capable of. If he did, then... well, that'd be a little worrying."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Sam Whittaker
FP: 5 Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

"Could you give me the benefit of the doubt for five loving seconds? I didn't just mean murder-NDAs, there was so much weird poo poo down there that-"

And Christie's sticking his nose in. Great. Fuckin' great. Can anyone just give me ten seconds to say my goddamn piece? Whatever. Doesn't matter. Doesn't even fuckin' matter. I'll just catch my breath.

"Anyway. Someone's bound to have seen something. Even if they can't tell us what happened, they could tell us."

"And Knight... I don't even know where to start with Knight. Maybe we can get started on something when we're out of here and have internet again, but right now? We got some leads and nothing to do with them."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
FP 0/4

Is that a threat, James?! How else am I supposed to read that?!

"James, just so you know, death threats aren't a good way to make people trust you." I don't know if it is a death threat or not but best to get that out of the way right now. "And you're absolutely right that Mr. Knight is suspicious, Christie, but I don't have his server in front of me. I've got Mr. Morganson's. So I'm working off of that. And just for the record, we all die eventually, and it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if I'm 17 or 21 when it happens!"

...goddammit, Stefan, you had to get up in arms about that.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 4/4 [ ] [X] [ ]

“Oh for the love of god! How is that a death threat?! You can’t just hear the words death, die, or murder and assume someone’s trying to- Okay, no. Sam and Christie are right. I’m sorry Stefan. And no, it’s not a threat. It’s the exact opposite of a threat. It’s proof that no such threat exists. And in fact I’m impressed at the bias and mental gymnastics you had to go through to assumes that it was a thre- No I’m shutting up. I am. I’m sorry. None of you have had good experiences with my Dad so far, so I guess it’s pretty easy to see the absolute worst case scenario in everything. But the point I was trying to emphasise was that no one is going to die over this. He has many faults but he’s not a murderer.”

“And I apologise to you as well Sam, alright? I know weird poo poo is happening and no one has had a pleasant time of it today, but I’m not immune to having weird poo poo happen to me. It gets to me like it gets to everyone else but I'm sorry for taking it out on everyone… Oh, and thanks Christie. It’s pretty hard not to jump to that assumption when on the one hand everyone is asking how evil my Father is and on the other, I’m being accused of making threa-. Just… just thank you.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Evening -> Dark Hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofgVMOjYeGE

The clock hits midnight. Shortly after, the lights go out as the world has stepped into the Dark Hour. It's interesting, having a name for this phenomenon now, albeit one that you've only known for a very short time. As you all get out of your bedrooms for the night, it seemed only logical that, since everyone else should be gone and all electronic devices disabled, there should be nothing keeping you from simply unlocking and exiting through the front door. At least, that was your original intent to do so, when whomever is first to step out manages to catch something completely unexpected.

"...looking worse every night. For how much longer will this keep them out? Where do they even come from?"

Diego Morganson, despite all odds, is downstairs, is looking out a window into the front yard. He holds in his hand the same mask James spoke of, although not presently wearing it.

"No matter, so long as these...things, keep their distance, I've no reason to worry. This has become routine, after all..."

He turns around, thankfully not noticing you in the darkness of the night, and exits through a door into the basement. A short time later, there's a subdued puttering of gas-powered motors and the lights turn on...Until they flicker out again. It would seem it might take another minute or so for the generators to be refilled or whatever task is being performed downstairs to finish.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
FP 0/4

...wait, I thought we were the only ones who knew about the Dark Hour besides Igor and his buddies. How the gently caress...?

I rush back inside the guest lobby area. "James, I hope your Dad must know Igor or something because he knows about the dark hour and the demons and poo poo!"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4, Stress: -1

"Hey, benefit of the doubt, right? Besides, if someone thought badly about my father, I'd get pretty mad too, so believe me when I say I can at least empathize."

I shoot a small grin at James, before the lights go dim. Guess that meant it was the Dark Hour. Never could get used to it, although at least I wasn't alone this time around. And then Stefan comes rushing back in, all flustered and... apparently James' dad is here in the Dark Hour?

"...Wait, what? That's impossible, isn't it? Unless... Mr. Morganson has a Persona too?"

Considering how we all happened to find one another, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he did. Just how many people had Personas, actually? I figured that it couldn't be many, but... maybe there were more out there than I had thought?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 4/4 [ ] [X] [ ]

How… How?! I’ve been sneaking out during the Dark Hours for ages. How have I not noticed this? How the hell has he not noticed me? Thinking about it, the house has always been like this. Has Dad known about all this longer then I have? Does this mean he might actually know just what the hell is going down at the quarry? Have I spent all this time trying to defend him only for him to be as big a scumbag as the others thought he was? The only thing that stops me in my dazed stare from following Dad into the basement is Stefan standing in front of me. Even then it takes me a while to say anything.

“...don’t ask me…” I let out weakly, barely aware enough to know I’m saying it out loud. ”Just don’t loving ask me. I don’t know poo poo.” I’m numb to the endless possibilities of what this all means and to the possible answers I don’t want to know about, which is why I’m even able to ask the next question.

“Should we follow him? Or do we keep going to the Quarry?”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Wait. Wait one minute here. James' dad knows about the Dark Hour. A billionaire industrialist knows about the Dark Hour. And yet, when I, out of the goodness of my heart, tried to tell people about this, I was... No. No. I'm not mad. It happened, it's done, it is fine. I'm annoyed, but I'm not mad.

On the plus side, it's not like anyone else is any less confused than I am. Still, James kind of has a point. Sticking around here won't do us any good if he catches us. ... If he catches us...

"Hey, James. I got an idea." A smile slowly spreads across my face. "How about I just lock him in the basement and we have the run of this place for an hour?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 4/4

I’m tempted by Sam’s idea. Far to tempted; the poo poo Dad has put me through needs to be rewarded with some poo poo of his own to deal with, and I admit, the childishness of just… locking him down there has me smirking from ear to ear. Still, I stop myself from answering outright. After all, it’s not fair if it’s my decision.

“Oh Sam, you don’t know how good that sounds. Hmm, but if we’re actually trying to get ahead of this thing and find out more about the quarry, it might not be the best idea… Although, if Dad is indisposed down there for a while it would leave his office free for a little bit. Perfect chance to root around and find out just what he knows. Ugh, but if we keep on like this we’ll have a million things to do, but nothing actually done. We need to decide.” Conveniently I don’t do any deciding at that very moment. Hopefully someone with a cooler head will have a plan cause of they don’t… hoo boy Dad is going to have a tough time of it for the next hour.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Yes, we do..." I kind of want to just go back to the quarry. I also want to seal that prick in there. Greeaaattt...

"Okay, you three." I point at the rest of the gang. "Stay or go? You have five seconds."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 0/4

"Let's do it and head out to the quarry," I say hurriedly, the words all tumbling out. "And Sam, if you wanna lock James' dad in the basement I'll help you. I..."

How would I describe my feelings about Mr. Morganson? Unease, pensiveness, fight or flight? Let's go with...

"I just don't like that guy."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4, Stress: 0

My brow raises for a moment at James in a "Really? You're okay with it? All right then," sort of way. I mean, locking your own father up in the basement seemed a little much, but oh well.

"If James is fine with it, then... let's go for it, I guess? Makes me feel kinda bad for him, but if people are willing, I'm in too. ...He doesn't have any, like, secret exits in the basement though, does he?"

I give James a questioning look, before continuing,

"Anyways, if we're actually doing this, then we might as well go all the way and look through Mr. Morganson's office before heading to the quarry. Might be our best opportunity to do so. Or only, even."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 4/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

I’m feeling giddy, like every time when I was a kid and I thought I was about to get away with stealing the cookie jar the maids thought they had managed to hide from me. It never went over well with Dad back then, buuuut…

“We’ve had a pretty poo poo day of it so far and Dad… hasn’t exactly been helping in a way we would all approve of.” I say diplomatically, not wanting to re-ignite any more arguments, though I do roll my eyes at Christie when he asks about secret exits. “The only exit down there is the one that leads to his secret under-sea lair, but he's got a plumbing team there trying to fix up some leaks. Go ahead Sam. Make the rest of his day just that much more difficult.”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 5->4 Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

"James, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were having fun." I chuckle and step past him into the hall. If they want to do this, then they'll see what I can do.

The card's in my hand before I realize it's there. The Tower. The inevitable fall, leaving behind only rubble. Let's not think about the implications there. Instead, I casually toss it behind me as I walk for the stairs and say a single word.

"Arachne."

The card is ash by the time it hits the floor, consumed by blue flame. But that's not what I care about. That is crawling out of the ceiling's darkest corner. The woman of the hour, quietly scuttling down the wall on eight legs. It's weird how quickly you get used to things like this.

"Alright, web the door shut." I whisper, but it still sounds too loud, this close to the door. "And give it a double weave. This guy deserves it." Arachne looks at me for just a second too long... Her human mouth smiles ever so slightly, and she starts her work.

Given the circumstances, I'd say that this is a Sneaky attempt at webbing this shut. Or possibly Quick. Either way it's +1, so...
Webbing The Door: 4dF+1 3
Invoking Spiteful Artist to make that a 5 total, because I have fate points to spare and am, in fact, spiteful.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FP: 3/4

"... Okay. I guess we've got an opportunity here, but... let's be ready to move if it doesn't work. Our cover's going to be seriously blown if this doesn't work out..."

On the other hand -- and it's about the only thing making me okay with this plan -- this is probably our only shot at getting to the bottom of this. People are dead, possibly more people than Frankie. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but, well, some conclusions are pretty drat easy to jump to, right? In any event, the clock's ticking.

"Stefan, I'm guessing this is your show. What do you need from the rest of us?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 0/4

"Wait, you don't need to confirm everything with me, you know," I whisper, waving my hands back and forth in a "no thanks!" gesture. Why am I whispering? It's not like James' dad can hear us, right? "I'm not the...well, I'm not that..."

Igor did say I was marked by death. I guess that makes me special.

"...alright. Let's see if we (and Talos) can lift anything we don't already know from Mr. Morganson's personal office before we go."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Files and Records

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssj_jJyG80g

Mr Morganson's office is easily located with James' help. The shelves are packed with binders labeling them things like "Fiscal reportings for 2007", "Contact references and networks" and "Staff records." All fairly business-oriented things, with none of them really standing out as related to what you're looking for, unless you're curious as to how much money he's been earning and spending. His computer, as this is the Dark Hour, is nonfunctional, as are any of the lights unless you choose to light an oil lamp he has by his desk. Speaking of which, the desk drawers, aside from the top one (which contains various office supplies such as paper clips, a spare notepad, writing utensils, box cutter and stapler) are firmly locked. The filing cabinet behind his desk is, in fact, doubly locked; there is both the built-in lock of the cabinet itself, but also a round security padlock placed over the lock to prevent access to the first lock without removing the first, attached to a clasp that bolted onto the side of the cabinet.

On his desk are the aforementioned oil lamp, a map of both Honey Bee and Norton, with the G5 building and several other buildings in Norton circled. Albeit hard to read in the dark, it seems the notes scribbled next to each circle indicate which places are owned by the company or a subsidiary, and an estimate at their net worth. Honey Bee, meanwhile, has...almost every single business in the town circled, noting exact amounts of net worth. Evidently Mr Morganson keeps unerring track of how much money the town pulls in or loses each month, based on the fact that there's also an identical one, albeit with different numbers, underneath the current map. Besides that, there's little to this room that catches your eye.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FP: 2/4

Of everything that's going on here, it's the lock arrangement on the cabinet that catches my eye. It's a pretty secure setup, but I feel like it's probably easy enough to spring if I can get tools and a little time, and better to do this clean and quiet, right? I grab some of the paper clips from the office-supplies side and begin bending. "I think I can take down this lock. Give me a few minutes."

I get to work, slowly and carefully, focusing on precise movements to try and spring the security lock before moving onto whatever lies within... but it's slow going. Very slow. Paper clips aren't really helping, either. Why don't I have a decent multitool, again? Oh, right, because I didn't expect to spend tonight picking a lock owned by someone who cared about it, and lockpicking isn't quite my thing even on the best of days. Still, I think I might be making progress...

Carefully Overcoming the Obstacle that is the security locks, using my Careful +3 and Natural-Born Wrench Monkey feat for an extra +2, since this is a mechanical obstacle:
Disable the cabinet locks (Carefully overcome obstacle, +Stunt): 4dF+5 3
I appreciate the "welcome back to being active" gift, Orokos. I really do.
Spent a FP to reroll using an invoke of Irresistible Force:
Lockpicking reroll (invoking Irresistible Force): 4dF+5 3
Can you get bonus FP for comedy?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Glancing around the office, nothing immediately catches my eye as 'suspicious' or even 'helpful'. Maybe if the computer was working, but, well, that wasn't happening. Not in the Dark Hour anyways. Speaking of dark, the lights weren't working either. Fortunately, I had a light of my own.

"Come on out, Baldr."

The card appears floating above my palm as I speak, though I still had no idea where exactly it came from. Clutching it against my heart, the Sun sparks and ignites without burning either hand or cloth, before bursting into a ray of light that coalesces into the form of a smiling young man wearing strangely modern clothing. Really, why a coat and scarf...? Oh well, whatever. I give him a nod, and at that his figure begins to glow dimly.

"There, that's better. If anyone wants me to go brighter, just let me know."

Then out of the corner of my eye, I spot Laurel trying to... I guess pick open the lock on the cabinet with a paper clip? Man, never thought I'd see something like that in real life and not on some kind of crime drama. Me and Baldr walk beside her to make sure she has enough of a light source to see what she's doing, when I notice the paper clip beginning to bend.

"Oh, hold on a second, Laurel. I think you're about to break the clip. Maybe... try tilting it a little more to the right?"

Using my 1/Scene Self-Stunt Reassuring Aura to give Laurel a +2 to Carefully Overcome this devious security lock, pushing it up to +5. Also calling out Baldr as a light source, so there should hopefully be no need to use the oil lamp.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 4/4

Ah jeez. So many memories in here. That cabinet is where Dad has hid my Birthday and Christmas presents every year since forever. Does he know I know or did I actually sneak that past him? Hah, I was standing in this very spot when he walked in on me drinking something I had snuck out of the drinks cupboard in the hall. He made me stand there for nearly the entire afternoon as punishment! And his crappy desk! Oh, he made that little hollow there himself so I could sleep in here with him for the first few weeks after mum…

drat it. Now I’m not the naughty little boy sneaking around where he shouldn’t be. Now I’m the huge piece of poo poo spitting on everything Dad ever did for me. I can’t think like that though. We’re not vandals and Dad sure as hell wouldn’t share what he knows willingly. We have to do this. Well, Stefan and Laurel need to do what their doing. Christie has cheer-leading covered. “Yeah, uh. Let me know if you need… help? With you're fiddly, delicate tasks. Otherwise, I’ll have a look at those maps.”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 4 Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

The high from trapping Mr Morganson in the basement didn't last as long as I thought it would. Maybe because he had the foresight to lock his filing cabinet. Maybe because there's already too many people huddling around the lock and I have nothing to do besides stare down the hallway and try to hear if anything's happening out there. Did I just hear something crack? Or was it just the floorboards creaking? Either way, I should keep watching...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 0/4

Nuts! I'm no good whatsoever with an actual lock, and...even with Talos, I'm not sure if I can read this hard drive during the Dark Hour. It'd be like talking to a dead computer.

Not without maybe ripping it out from the tower...

"You want me to just steal this whole thing?" I ask to no one in particular, motioning towards the computer. "Or maybe I can see if Talos can talk to house security and turn it on Mr. Morganson, help keep him trapped...you think it'll record user data in the Dark Hour?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

I wince a little at Stefans suggestion but try not to immediately rally against it.

“If we can… let’s not vandalise the place. I mean, if you have to, you have to. And we have to get the information some way I know but… Ugh, do what you have to do. But in here, okay! Please don’t screw about with things unless they help us in here okay. Please?”

I force myself away and try not to think about it to much. Hopefully we’ll find something fast and keep the B&E to an explainable minimum. Seeing everyone getting on with their tasks, I start trying to translate Dad’s notes on the map. The G5 building is in Norton so I start there.

Let’s quickly look at the maps, looking for anything new or interesting, or for any big changes between the maps.
Quickly look at the maps: 4dF+2 1
... and let's burn an FP invoking "Apple of Daddies Eye" for a +2, because of course James pays attention to all that business crap.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Files and Records

Sam hears the sounds of pounding against the blocked door. A few seconds later and a pained grunt as the result of a failed shoulder charge, the attempts stop for now.

Diego rolled, after a reroll, a 4. Not enough to break through.

The round lock opens up after some finangling. The second one is up next, but Laurel is confident with a few minutes of uninterrupted effort that they can get it open. Meanwhile, James, looking at the map, notices something everyone else would have ignored: papa's investments into the various businesses around town. It would appear he's providing quite the economic safety net, paying for about a quarter of Honey Bee's business expenses. The school is notably blank on that front, and has been that way since around the same time he started correspondence with Knight, likely around the same time the merger was being discussed. Going back, he didn't even start including the Norton map until about three months ago. He notes a single location in particular in Norton as well: a warehouse owned by a dummy corporation under G5's payroll. The note on the map reads "Possible location of 'new project?'"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4

The map is both sweet vindication and a stab of guilt all at once. I’m half tempted to lead with Dads seeming generosity, but however good it is to see evidence of Dads good work, extolling his virtue isn't going to save us if he walks in part way through a speech about how great he is.

“Here’s a thing to be aware of Stefan. A warehouse in Norton.” I quickly sound off the location. “The G5 and Knight are using it for some unknown ‘New Project’. Something to look out for if we start looking into Knight more. I don’t see anything else useful here… How’s that lock coming?”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Come on, stop trying to break out. You know you can't, I know you can't, just stop already... And he actually did. It... held. Of course it did. Always knew it would. I breathe a sigh of relief and turn back to the others.

"Alright, sounds like he gave up on kicking down the door. Should give us at least a few more minutes. It should be long enough to... Wait, you said something about Norton?" I shove my way past James to look at the map and... Okay, it's kind of all chickenscratch to me. It's dark and I'm not into business, so sue me. Still, I scan the Norton map and... "Huh. Guess there is. I don't really go to that side of town much, but that's definitely something. Guess we have something to go on with Knight now."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 0/4

"Thanks, James," I nod at him as he points out the warehouse. "I guess that means I won't have to steal the computer for now. Maybe later."

...look, there are many ways to acquire data and access, and physically stealing the drive isn't the most elegant solution, but it's on the table, okay?!

"Since you have that handled, hey, Sam," he says as he motions to the sound of Diego trying to break down the door. "Want me to try making sure he stays down there?" Talos was built to ensure none passed him, after all...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Files and Records

The other lock pops open. You finally have access to whatever it is Diego Morganson decided to hide behind two locks. First off, you find a notebook. It seems to be his memoirs. It dates back quite far, based on the age of the book and the earliest entries. You have to flip through a considerable amount of thoughts on family and his dedication to maintaining this "snow globe" of a town to get to things relevant to your interests. Meanwhile, the thumping begins again. This time with the sounds of something metallic hitting the door. Likely a sledgehammer. Unfortunately, his decision to use metal-lined doors is now coming back to bite him, it seems.

Diego rolled another 4 in trying to use some of the tools downstairs to bash down the door.

Resuming your inquiry once the noise ceases, everything seems to line up with his electronic records. However, there's one more entry that, even when Stefan was looking, knows wasn't a date in the list of entries. This one is set two days after the discovery of the mural.

Diego's Memoirs posted:

It seems that there's more to that mural than initially thought. I've felt a distinct sense that there's more buried there, and yet I know I should not know that, much less consider digging it up and risking the structural integrity of the mural. Ever since I touched that fossil bone mask, I've also become acutely aware of this strange, 25th hour, a time where most devices fail, everyone else vanishes, and creatures roam the darkness. Perhaps it's because I've started using the backup gas generators to keep the lights on, or perhaps it's the mask, but something is keeping them out of this house. I intend to see this mural with my own eyes for the first time tonight.

You turn the page.

Diego's Memoirs, Continued posted:

What even was that?! The mural had an aura of hatred, as if it wished me dead more than anything else. As a spike began reaching its way towards me, something stopped it. A strange creature unlike one I've never seen before, and yet I knew its name and nature all the same. Quetzalcoatl, my "Persona," saved me from the mural and burned away the tendrils with searing light and roaring winds. I also learned something else: there's more than just what's buried beneath the dig site. Perhaps it is intuition, or perhaps it is Quetzalcoatl, but I know for certain there is something of great value and importance buried in the mountains between here and Norton. Which makes it all the more suspicious that the proposed train track goes through, rather than around the mountain. Things involving Mr Knight are starting to make a great deal more sense.

Before you can continue, you hear a sound of roaring winds below. There's a very loud KACHINK. You're fairly certain that was the sound of the hinges breaking off.

This time he stopped playing around and tried using his Persona. It worked.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 0/4

"Holy poo poo, Mr. Morganson has a Persona."

I mean, I guess since he knew about the Dark Hour he would at least be familiar with Persona, but...I dunno, I guess to see it written down so--

*WHOOOSH CRUNCH*

...gently caress. I guess it takes a Persona to break a Persona...'s constructions. If Mr. Morganson has a Persona, we're going to need to use our own to get out of this.

And Talos was known to be nearly invulnerable...

"...I think I got this," I tell everyone with a nod as I whip out my smartphone, the Temperance wallpaper glowing softly. Well, glowing more than a smartphone usually glows. You know what I mean! "Talos won't break."

I head for the basement door and tap my phone with a cry of "TALOS!"

I think this would be an active defense or blocking? I'm not sure if I'm creating a new barrier or reinforcing the old one--probably creating a new one--but let's let Talos Quickly do the arms-out-blocking pose!
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:07 PM
@Davin_Valkri: 4dF +2 = (+++-)+2 = 4

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

poo poo poo poo poo poo! To much, way way way to soon. I just can't process all of this with the likelihood of getting caught getting higher every second. And then Stefan literally shouts Right. Next. To. The. Door! Sure, if Dad's got a Persona and is starting to use it, using one of our own is probably the only way we're gonna have enough time to get out of here. But it doesn't exactly set of good precedent for any future sleuthing. “Alright” I whisper as quietly as possible, partly to maintain some semblance of stealth but mostly because I'm also going to start shouting if I get any more panicked. ”Dad is not playing around any more. Plan later or on the way, but I- but we need to get out of here right now."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

drat it, he got through. He got through, and his persona's strong enough to blow through it. This is bad. This is really bad. We got to get out now, before he catches us. Which won't take long, because I really don't have the time to make more webs. Maybe I should start running now... Alright. Talos is buying us some time. Good.

"Stefan, I owe you one." I give him a nervous wave off as he goes before turning to James. "So, uh, you got a back door we can run out of, right?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

“Yeah, just follow me” I whisper quickly. “We’ll go out the back way and run straight for the trees; no one can navigate the forest better then me. We’ll be fine as long as Talos can hold long enough for us to get there.” With a quick turn and a conspiratorial whisper I rush to the end of the hallway.“Come on! Let’s go!”

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
An Escape!

Talos attempts to impose its will and prevent Diego from reaching you all as you make your way out the back entrance of the home. Diego spots this creation and, in response, says one word. "Persona!"

After crushing a card within his hands, a feathery high-priest-ish humanoid appears and moves forward, attempting to slip past Talos. Talos, however, intercepts and refuses to allow passage. What follows is a series of high-speed punches from Quetzalcoatl being intercepted by equally-fast palm thrusts from Talos. From a distance, however, you can't even see the punches so much as the impacts of each collision causing fluctuations in the air. This goes on for about a solid minute before you have left the building, at which point Stefan has gone beyond Talos' effective range, and his Persona vanishes just moments before a final punch can connect.

He tied your roll with a 4, so you just sort of JoJo clashed with one another.

Now outside and with the back door locked behind you with James' housekey (for what few seconds that'll give you, given it can be unlocked from the inside), you can see the green-lit skies tinting the land and the shadowy blobs moving about in the distance that indicate creatures of the night. More importantly, you can see a purple miasma in the skyline, above the trees, even from here. It's coming from the direction of the quarry, and gives a sense of dread. Time is convoluted within the Dark Hour, however, and while the forest would take the least amount of time to reach it, the shifting figures you see give you pause for consideration of the logistics of running through a dark forest and having to fight among the trees and brush. Going through the paved streets of Honey Bee, on the other hand, would take significantly longer, but would mean seeing any threats long before they're within effective range, very few obstacles, and, for the less morally-inclined, a chance to potentially stock up on additional resources before heading into the great unknown.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

I have to hunch over to recover my panicked breath, less because of the groups flight out of my home and more from the whole shock of… just about everything. The biggest shock though is Dad’s persona. Just how did I miss that over the last few days? Talk about oblivious. Even more so is the state of the town in the Dark Hour; things were always a bit off during this time but the sheer malaise over everything has come more or less out of nowhere. Could something we did at the quarry be the cause of this change? Then again, if Dad and I somehow walked around each other without noticing for more then a fortnight, maybe this miasma didn’t quite come out of nowhere.

“It wasn’t always like this, was it Laurel?” Even while she answers, I move on quickly. “Okay, that door isn’t going to hold him off for more then a couple of seconds and Dad is certainly going to be coming up after us. That forest is way worse for wear; I could probably get through it fine on my own and I still think I could lead us through easily enough, but do we want to risk it? It might not be a good idea to get caught between my Dad on one side and whatever is lurking in the forest on the other, especially when we've got a way safer option through the town. Safety, or speed?”

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

I burst out the back door and onto the back lawn, nearly tripping over my own legs as I force myself to slow down. Now, I may look like I'm scared out of my skin right now, but I in fact am having a perfectly reasonable response to someone literally blowing through all my webs. First I get some actual space between me and the man who will probably punch me in the face for locking him in his basement, then I can relax a little.

"We could definitely lose your dad in the woods, if he realizes we left the house. If he follows us into town, he could probably see us about as easily as the shadows."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Safety or speed, was it? Would have been nice if we had the choice for both, but alas, nothing we could do but decide quickly before Mr. Morganson caught up to us. I stop to weigh the ups and downs of our two options as I listen to James and Sam speak. After a bit of deliberation, I reply back to them,

"...I don't know. Going through the woods would certainly be quicker, but what if one of us gets lost in the chaos? And like James said, if we get caught with demons on one side and Mr. Morganson on the other, that's not going to work out well either. Personally, I think it would be better to take the long road here and head through Honey Bee."

Slow and steady, that was the way, I thought to myself. Rushing through things only made matters worse. Well, in normal circumstances, anyways. This was, of course, far from normal.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson
FP 3/4 [ ] [ ] [ ]

I want to veer towards the woods. I know the routes through them better then my own house in a few cases. But the shadows I see peaking through the overgrowth give me pause. I would be fine going through there, but as Christie said, would the others? And given recent events, I can’t really say that I’ve had the best judgement, or observation skills, of late.

“Okay. Fine. I vote Honey Bee. Better that we get caught by Dad at the end of It then let someone get lost on their own in there.” I motion towards the woods and the closest shadows to emphasise my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The Long Way Around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI

Heading into the city streets, you see the following: a lack of light beyond the pale green moonlight what with the electricity being out for the entire town, save for the faint hum of blue from the Velvet Room, which seems to still be in operation. A lack of electricity would also mean no such things as alarms, or really anything beyond manually-moved mechanical devices keeping you out of anywhere you'd choose to 'explore.' Putting possible skullduggery on hold and looking at the straight shot simply down the nearest road that runs perpendicular to the quarry entrance, you're in luck! You only see a pair of Shadows in the distance, taking the forms of lions with a ball and chain attached to them. They've yet to notice you, so you might be able to get the drop on them. The rest of the city makes a few intermittent sounds of Shadow activity, albeit, likely more randomly spread out than the cluster the forest was.

• Locked thread