Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
James Morganson

I say bye to my driver and walk into the main schoolyard where I am immediately set on edge. What kind of idiot plays around in abandoned quarries? Don’t people know how dangerous that is? Why would anyone choose an abandoned, unexplored, untouched quarry when you’ve got a perfectly good forest to explore. You’d have to be pretty stupid to think that some place that's been left on it’s own for years without any people to disturb it would be cool to… explore… God drat it. Now I’ve got the itch. But as cool as it sounds, quarries are still dangerous. Dad owns a few and I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about what can go wrong. Hmm, thinking about it maybe dad knows the owner or hell, owns it himself? No don’t get distracted, that doesn’t matter at the moment. What matters is that Frankie might have gotten himself in trouble and none of his friends feel like lifting a finger to help. Hmm, I know where the quarry is and it won’t take me long to get there after school. Maybe I can head over, look around a little bit? But only to make sure that Frankie guy is okay! If he even went there at all, which he might not of. But still, better safe then sorry, right?

The little bubble of excitement and anticipation I’m nursing is almost immediately burst when I hear the second rumour of the day and I nearly scream out loud. I calm myself down enough to just whisper out “That self-aggrandizing, obsessive rear end in a top hat!” before I clamp down fully. I feel bad as soon as I finish; Things are a little bit better between dad and me and baseless accusations aren't going to help fix things. Maybe this has nothing to do with him? Maybe it’s a different corporate group buying up the place? Maybe the school isn’t being bought and the rumours are full of poo poo? I don’t want to get into an argument with dad again, especially if he isn’t even here. I need to have faith that he wouldn’t try this moronic stunt. I have to, I don’t want things to get even worse.

I stop to take a minute to calm down, watching as everyone else slowly drifts along to the gymnasium. Getting out always helps calm me down so I end up planning my trip to the quarry later today, losing myself in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I catch and have to immediately stop myself from texting dad to get him to fix this whole mess.I mean seriously; who thought it would be a good idea to take a whole hour out of the study day to account for travelling? And if that wasn’t enough, if I get stuck in the Norton campus at days end, I have to travel back home again cutting into my time. Ugh. No I can’t tell dad any of this. Hopefully he doesn’t already know or he’ll make some excuse to try make me stay over in the penthouse on Norton days, and that would be even worse! Things are a bit better between us now but nowhere near good enough to spend a whole day together with no me time!

Some girl I’ve never seen before makes a point about trains running late. Something to worry about I suppose, but then again I can just pay my driver overtime if he ends up needing to pick me up from the city. Brooding on that additional bit of joy, I very pointedly avoid the T-Shirt and cap a passing teacher tries to foist on me as I collect my new schedule. Time to see just how deep this rabbit hole of an idea goes.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I’m pulled along with everyone else toward the library for the ID photo but I’m jolted out of my sulk thoughts by some sort of disturbance. Apparently a new students name wasn’t put down on the list and she was making a complaint. Typical, the idiots in charge set up this insipid experiment into student logistics and it doesn’t even last one hour before problems start to crop up. Fortunately, the new girl seems to have got the problem fixed up pretty quickly. Ishinomori High, well the artist formally known as Ishinomori High, is small enough that these sorts of problems can usually be handled personally thank goodness. God knows how the Norton students will be handling any problems with that extra layer of bureaucracy to deal with. Ugh, god knows how we’re going to handle it when something inevitably goes wrong over in the city.

I don’t know why but I end up drawing up closer to the exchange student. I don’t really have that many friends at school; when people hear the name Morganson they either get too intimated by it, or they become sycophants looking for an easy ride. Honeybee is too small to find someone who has never heard of my dad or his company, but maybe just this once, Morganson won’t be the first thing someone hears.

“Erm, hi there.” I mutter awkwardly to the new girl “Viola, right? Jeez, what a day to start at a new school. I can’t believe it’s the first day and there's already been a screw up. My names James, James Morganson. Class 2-B”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morgan

“Oh no, that’s not quite right.” I interrupt mildly. I reach for my ID only to realise I haven't had my photo taken yet. “Ah well.” I try to cover my fumbling “That’s you’re student registration number. You need that for exams and things. You’re class number should be on the class schedule… Did you see you're name on the schedule? I mean if they messed up you're name on the ID list, they might have missed it off the schedule as well. Just let me just get my photo taken and we can go and figure it out!”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

"Didn't have a...? Oh hey” I say, Viola’s infectious enthusiasm distracting me from some of her more odd aspects. “We’re in the same class!” My mood finally improving from this mornings news, I take another look at our new schedule. While I recognise some of these names, a good amount are ones that I’ve never seen before. In a school as small as Ishinomori this would have been unthinkable, but now… “I know some of our other classmates. Well I don’t know them but I know of them. It seems our class has a good amount of students from Norton though… Maybe we should see about gathering up the Honey Bee students of class 2-B together, just to help head off any other problems the school has managed to concoct. You know, unless there was something else you wanted to do beforehand.” Unable to contain my curiosity I also add “If you don't mind me asking, since you’re an exchange student where are you staying at the moment?”

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 13, 2016

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

“I understand. Cheap housing for students probably isn’t a main concern for the town so of course it gets shunted off into the bad parts of town.” Stupid stupid stupid! Why say that James, why? “Well the upside is I know a ton of secluded spots and quiet places, so if it ever gets to busy or noisy near the station you’ll be able to find a quiet place to study.” I breathe a sigh of relief at that successful deflection; hopefully Viola won’t take it badly if she ends up finding out about the whole… fortune thing. “Well, at least you won’t have to walk far when it comes to travelling to Norton. My driver- driv- my driving level of ability is going to be sorely tested on those early morning journeys!” Oh my god! Shut up before you make even more of an rear end out of yourself! “Let’s go find everyone else!”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Oh thank god, someone has come to save me from putting my foot in my mouth any more. I turn around and I’m greeted by a somewhat familiar face; someone I’ve seen around school some but that I don’t know personally.

“Er, yeah hi” I sheepishly begin, the earlier awkwardness of my conversation with Viola still hanging over me. “Yeah, we’re both in Class 2-B. We were planning on finding everyone else before the Norton half of the class shows up. My names James and this is a new exchange student that started today.” I turn to Viola to let her introduce herself.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Another somewhat familiar face I couldn’t quite put a name to.

“I’m James. This is Laurel and Viola, a new exchange student that’s just started.” I indicate to my left and right, introducing everyone. “We’re just going around meeting up with everyone in our class before the Norton half comes over.” I hesitate, Flynn’s attention constantly flying between phone and me is a bit off-putting but I try not to let it show. We’re the ones intruding after-all and he is the first person to really pay us any mind, even if we have to share that attention. “So, erm, how are you and your girlfriend split? Are you in the same campuses at the same time, at least?” I ask with sympathy. This ridiculous plan is just screwing over everybody.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Met online? Is that a thing now? I mean, I know it’s a thing but I thought it was something only adults did. And Viola! I mean yeah, computers and things aren’t exactly my strong point but I still know my way around a cell phone. Dad makes me carry one in case of emergencies. Where did she come from the cell phones are such a rarity? Someones going to have to sit down with her and figure out exactly what kind of cultural clashes are going on, which is probably the schools job somehow but I doubt they're going to get around to it.

“Ah, that sounds… interesting!” I say placidly to Flynn; I don’t want to be rude and I don’t know the circumstances. What do I know when it comes to girlfriends and boyfriends? “It must be some game to bring two people together like… this.”

I’m trying to think of what to say next when Viola mentions that word; Persona. No, it can’t be. It has to be coincidence. Still, I’m panicking. “Violacouldwehaveareallyquicktalkrealquick?!?” I rush out, desperately trying to compose myself and not lose it in front of everyone.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I don’t even think about Flynn as I drag Viola to a secluded corner, nor do I notice Laurel trailing behind us. I’m too focused on what Viola let slip. When we’re sufficiently secluded, I notice my grip on Viola’s arm. “Oh, god, sorry” I splutter, frantically disconnecting myself from her. In my haste to bring Viola somewhere safe to talk, I haven’t even thought thought of what to say to her.

“So…” I begin, just talking and hoping something that makes sense comes out “Er, Persona. That’s a, a very specific word choice there Viola. And well, you know different words mean different things in different places… So, well, erm, what do you mean when you say it? Persona, I mean?” I finish up, just in time to notice Laurel come into view.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I breath in a calming breath. “I can apologise to Flynn later. But what he showed you on his phone? That wasn’t his Persona, that was like a game thing, the one he plays with his girlfriend. Persona’s aren’t actually that common Viola, in fact your the only person I’ve met that seems to know about their true meaning, other then myself.” There, I admitted it. After that night weeks ago, I haven’t met anyone that knew what I was talking about when I spoke about Persona. Until today.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I’m about to have a heart attack when I notice Laurel turning around the corner and the floor practically falls out from beneath me when she mentions Persona as well. It can’t be, it’s just way to much of a coincidence to meet two other people in on the same day who know. I’m still struggling to process the meanings, the implications of all this when Viola gives her explanation.

“I, er.” I’m floundering. “No, I don’t think Flynn has a Persona.” I eventually settle on, just ignoring the weirdness until it hopefully starts making sense. “Most people don’t, in fact. Like I said, the only people I’ve met with any idea… it looks like it’s just us three.” I glance unblinking between Viola and Laurel, unsure of what happens next.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

This talk of destiny set’s me on edge, especially with the way I must have pissed off Flynn earlier. But maybe that’s just guilt from how I ended up blowing him off. I’m still deep in thought as Laurel and Viola talk. Then Laurel asks her question.

“Yeah, yes.” I try to placate her. “We are definitely going to try and figure this out, together. And I should probably go and apologise to Flynn about earlier, destiny or no.” Before I head back to the annoyed blonde, I turn to Viola. How do I say this without sounding paranoid and/or a jerk? “You should probably be a bit more careful with who you talk to about Persona’s Viola. Not that there’s anything wrong with it exactly; you’ll either find someone else who knows like us or you’ll get a blank expression like with Flynn. But if you go around to everyone with this sort of thing, you’ll get worse then a few odd looks. People don’t generally do well when other people are out of the ordinary.” Heh, speaking from experience. “Look, I’m not telling you not to or anything but… Ask Laurel or me if you’ve got a question first, okay? We’ll answer it just fine and I promise we won’t think any less of you for it!” Oh god, that was so awkward. “I’m gonna go apologise to Flynn for freaking out real quick.”

- - - - -

I find Flynn much as we left him, playing on his phone presumably talking to his girlfriend. I walk up to him and wait for a lull in their digital conversation. “Er, hey Flynn. I just want to apologise about earlier. Viola’s a new transfer student see, and it looks like the school hasn’t done their job in getting her up to speed with how things are here…” Oh come on James. Own up to it. “But that doesn’t excuse me freaking out like a lunatic. I’m sorry. I hope you won’t think any less of the three of us for it.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

“Er, okay, sure. I mean, if we’re all all right with that?” I throw a questioning look toward Laurel, unsure if she wanted to do anything else for the rest of the hour. I can’t really say I know what to expect from this Eorzea thing; you don't generally get very good internet connections when you're up in trees. Gaming as a whole isn’t really something I’ve ever gotten into, but seeing Flynn’s passion for it, even if it's mostly about his girlfriend, is catching a little. But if nothing else, it’s an hour to get a better handle of some of Viola’s other… quirks under the gaze of the pretty forgiving Flynn. Making sure she doesn’t get herself into trouble is going to be important going forward, especially when the Norton kids show. City kids are a lot nastier then the ones around here. I swear, when I get a spare second to contact one of the maids, this school is going to be receiving some serious complaints about the level of prep they provide to transfer students! “I’m in as well, as long as Laurel didn't want to do anything else before the Norton half show up.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Devil? Flynn?!? But… but he didn’t seem like a bad person. Did he? I’m as confused about this whole thing as I’ve ever been. I spare a glance toward Laurel and Viola to see if this… voice from beyond has them as spooked as me. I also spare a glance toward Flynn. Maybe Devil isn’t a bad thing? I mean it’s not like I’m an actual, physical Chariot. And marked by death. What poor bastard is marked by death, and how in the hell are we going to find them? And then it hit’s me, something that Laurel said earlier; destiny. It’s frustrating, but as much as I hate to admit it maybe there’s some truth to that? Within an hour of starting here, I’ve found two others like me and the entire school isn’t even here yet. It’s on its way on the train right now.

“Hey er, since it looks like we’re the official welcoming committee for Class 2-B, we should probably go out and meet the Norton students, now that they're arriving.” I look to Flynn and say “We can continue with this a little bit later, okay?” I make my excuses and apologies and we’re soon away from Flynn where we can talk freely. “Laurel, something you said earlier might be important. I’m not one for destiny, but it can’t be coincidence that we’re discovering all of this today of all days. I think we should look among the Norton students for anyone like us. I know we all want to find out what… that was, but that voice said we should look for someone marked by death and with how everything else has gone today, I think we have a good shot finding them in the arriving students.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Oh Jesus Viola! Damage control, damage control! “No no, it’s nothing any of you have done. Viola has a few quirks we’ve been trying to iron out. The school dropped her here with basically no support; didn’t even know what a cell phone was! She’s usually very…” An idea. Oh this is going to be so embarrassing if Viola went off half-cocked. Even more so then for the poor transfer student.”She’s usually very Persona-able is all. She has a very bubbly Persona most of the time. Maybe one of you has a friend with a Persona like that? That’s how Viola usually is. Laurel and I will go over and talk to her, maybe try and help her settle a bit.” I look directly at the boy Viola pointed out and try a very subtle hint. “Maybe you should come with us. Over to where Viola is. I’m sure she’ll want to apologise for freaking out. And then we can figure out why she freaked out in the first place. Just between us… Erm, I’m James. And this is Laurel.” I introduce the last member of our trio.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I turn, horrified, toward Viola. “Viola!” I practically hiss “There’s a tactful way to go about this and it doesn’t involve talking about it out in the open where anyone can see how crazy you are!” I instantly regret saying it but I’m so shocked and appalled I don’t let it stop me. I can apologise later, after I stop the new girl getting her poo poo beaten in by the city kids. My fear’s are almost realised when I hear the table slamming. I turn defensively, trying to keep the clownish girl out of sight of the trio, preparing to defend her when the girl on the end starts going on at me.

“Forrest? What? You know about all this as well? Wh-why are you-” I stop, I breath a deep breath and then I sit down. As I sit, I pull at that special place, the one that has been there since that night months ago, a pocket stuck between real and unreal and I pull out my card. I feel oddly exposed, vulnerable, letting everyone see it so plainly, as if my entire existence could be summed up and judged into the existence of a single object. I can’t help but fiddle with it as I start talking. “I’m sorry if I’ve upset or annoyed you. I am, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. I haven’t had much of an idea of what’s been happening since I came to school this morning. All I know is a few months ago, I gained a Persona. Today, I met two others who had them as well.” I stop, pointing toward Viola and Laurel to emphasise my point. “We were speaking to someone else in class, a new friend, when suddenly we were… spoken to. A voice told us about Arcana and Devils, and then said to search for the one “Marked By Death” who will open the way. We figured, there’s too many coincidences today and that we should look for someone from Norton. When we can in, Viola saw you” I point at the boy in the centre “and freaked out, saying that you were the one marked. Now we might just be crazy, maybe Viola is wearing off on us too fast, but if the word Persona means something to you then we need to talk. To both of you. We’re already to public for all this crazy talk.” I finish, looking toward the last member of the trio. Hesitantly, I put the Card of the Chariot away, feeling incredibly embarrassed and shamed.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

It seems like the only thing I’m doing today is pissing people off somehow and then apologising to them. I’m sort of glad the attention isn’t on me as much as it is. Still, this is big. All those months thinking I’m on my own, then suddenly finding 5 others like me in the span of a day?

“If we’re all in the know, then we should at the very least know each others names. You already know ours, can we have yours?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

“James Morganson” I introduce myself surreptitiously, looking away and covering my mouth. I mean hey, you’re concerned for your friend so no ones fault if you didn’t catch my surname.

As our new group slowly trails behind Stefan I keep close to Viola. I don’t really want to be the girls keeper but if I don’t it seems that no one will. Maybe I’m the crazy one but a lot of what she’s been saying is far too on point compared to how… well… ditzy she is where everything else is concerned. And that stuff she said before Stefan stormed off? Not an exchange student? Hoping no one took her place? Something isn't adding up and like dad always says, if it’s not adding up it's time to do an audit.

I’m busy thinking of ways to keep Viola from making the Stefan situation any worse when we’re ambushed from behind. The girl looks to be from Norton so I’m sure one of the two city kids hand- oh god Viola’s right at the back, she’s going to be the first person to talk, tag in tag in tag in!

“Hi” I sidestep to the back of the group. No plan except “keep Viola from clowning around”. I can do this, as much as it pains me to. “Now I don’t mean to be rude but we’ve got a bit of a situation here.” Make it personal. “My names James and if you noticed us showing off our Arcana, you probably also noticed Stefan running off to the bathroom, something about a bad headache. Now I only met him a few minutes ago, but his friends Sam and Christie seem pretty concerned about this and I’m inclined to trust them.” Let her think she's got her foot in the door. “As fun as it would be to chat with someone a bit more knowledgeable about this stuff, like yourself, I’m more worried about Stefan; our school may be small, but I’m sure none of you city folk know you’re way around here yet. If he needs to go to the Nurses office, we’re going to have to take him there.” And seal the deal. “Again, I don’t want to just blow you off. Maybe we can all have a chat about this later? Today’s lunch is almost over, but I’m sure there’ll be time over at the Norton campus tomorrow.” Done, just like Dad taught me. Ugh, I feel slimy all over. Let's hope she buys it.

Let’s distract and fob this new girl off with an excuse. We’ll have a way more plausible alibi this time tomorrow. Like I said in the application this is my first time with FATE Accelerated, so I’m not sure if this would count as a clever or a careful approach. We’ll chat in Discord about it then I can make the roll afterwards, assuming no one else intervenes in the meantime.

Edit: Spoke to Unknown, Careful approach used.

Oscar_Diggs !r 4df+3
Krysmbot Oscar_Diggs, /---+3 = 0

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 23, 2016

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

“Are you alright Sam?” I’m to distracted by the slip-up in front of me to notice Stefans disappearance but I hear the reactions from everyone else. I am fully there for his reappearance though.

“After-school huh? Well we are all in the same class so that’s easy enough to arrange.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

The biology teacher is a bit strange but compared to everything else that’s happened today, something that’s only a bit strange is down right normal. Plus, the idea of these labs sound interesting; one of the things that has always kept dad off my back is my relatively good grades. I’ve got a feeling that things are about to get hectic, so the chance to secure a few points and keep my grade up is something I can’t pass up. It seems other people are agreeing about attending the labs, if for different reasons.

I’m surprised when Stefan asks about the nightlife; I didn’t think that was the sort of thing city kids would be interested in. “Oh there's loads about if you’re quiet and know where to look. Bats, Owls, Foxes, a couple Badger families clustered here and there, Hedgehogs, loads of insect species milling about. Hey, if you’re really interested, I could show you, and anyone else who wants to come, a couple of good places! We could make a day of it. Night of it, I mean.” I manage to slow myself down before I start listing every nocturnal animal it’s possible to find close to town. But I’m still pretty excited; I was worried the only thing I was going to have in common with everyone else was this Persona business!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

“Oh, er, how do I… Oh, never mind! Never mind I figured it out!” I say out loud to no one in particular. I was sort of worried I would be the only person in class that needed help with the microscope but after a few experimental wiggles everything sorted itself out. It was a serene experience looking down through the lenses, seeing the building blocks of well… everything. It was so intriguing I had to ask.

"Dr. Cleaver, how much is it to rent or buy a microscope like this?" I ask, not bringing my eyes up from the Archaea specimen I had been observing, only to hear Stefan say something about coffee. "Coffee? Who's drinking Coffee in a lab? Is that even allowed?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I know I shouldn’t but I have to. I’m just too morbidly fascinated by the various implications to even consider letting the questions go unasked. So I plough right ahead and drat the consequences. “Dr Cleaver. What on earth can cause an epidemic of Toad explosions? And if it was so long ago, why didn’t you get a new jacket after this one got so badly stained?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Hmm, four thousand dollars for a microscope all my own? Well, it’s a bit outside of my monthly budget but I bet I could convince Dad with the whole schoolwork angle. I’m really glad I decided to come today; the subject is so interesting and while he’s a bit unorthodox Dr. Cleaver really brings it… alive for lack of a better word. It’s a shame he already has a full time job because he would be a lot better then some of the other, stuffier private tutors I’ve had over the years. Then again, a tutor just for biology seems a bit much, even if the subject is so interesting.

I keep tooling around, looking at the various subjects that have been put up and waiting for Dr. Cleaver to move on with the "special sample" when I hear Christie open his mouth to Sabrina. My god, I don’t want to be mean to either of them but is he the Viola of Norton? I notice the look Sam is giving him and slowly sidle closer. I'm not quite sure what I plan to do but Sam looks like she's going to kill Christie, who doesn't look any the wiser. Oh I hope we don't end up kicked out over this.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Alright, Biology is officially the best class and Biology workshops are the best way to spend an afternoon. The “Bubble Algae” is just to cool to leave unharassed and only the creepy “Thou art I” speech brings me out of my observation. If Flynn was the Devil at the time, then Dr. Cleaver must be the Emperor. I look quickly around the room and see that most of the other members of the group also heard the voice. The only two that don’t appear to have noticed are Christie, who looks like a deer caught in headlights and Sam, who looks ready to seriously harm him. That is an improvement over how she was looking at Christie earlier though.

And then he name drops me and I start sidling further away from the trio. I don’t mean to be cruel Christie, but I already tried dealing with Sabrina and it didn’t work out so well. I don’t like the odd’s of us getting outing of this situation without severely insulting Sabrina and I spare a look to Stefan and Laurel to see if they might have any ideas.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

I frown in confusion. A club? Honey Bee is a bit to small for that sort of thing. One or two pubs for the adults, sure, but actual clubs were a city only thing. Then again, Viola seems like the expert in all things Dark Hour related so if she says it's weird, it's probably not normal. Well, when Viola is the only expert how normal could it be in the first place. "If you've got to be home sooner rather then later, we should get a move on now."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

I would be worried, if this whole thing weren’t so ridiculous. Blind Piano players, little kid’s tending bar. It’s so… opposite? Or reversed from how things should be? I almost burst out laughing at the whole thing when Viola pulls out another classic Violaism.

“Er, Viola. Remember when we talked about tact? Perhaps insulting our host isn’t the most polite thing in the world.” Someone is going to have to put that girl on a leash. I raise my hand partially, trying to distract this Igor’s wrath from the tactless girl. “I have a question. A few questions, actually. This whole dark hour business. What exactly is the point? I mean, why does it exist? How does it exist? What changed that allowed us to start being aware of it? And why us?!”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

Maybe the full weight of all… this still hasn’t settled in because I’m still in a pretty good mood. Though if the story of some ancient Scottish rebel from nearly nearly a millennium ago resonates with me like no other ever could, what does that say about me? Even I feel the mood of the room souring when Christie brings up The Reaper; a selfish little bit of me worries about the risk I’m putting myself in going there most days of the week but I squash it down. If Igor can be trusted The Reaper is only a threat to Stefan. But even if that is the case, it’s not something that can be ignored. No one deserves that sort of threat hanging over their heads.

“If “old-school” magic is what it’s going to take, then old-school magic is what we’ll get! You can count on it Stefan” I turn to him and say, hoping I don’t sound to over-eager. And then Igor says something. It’s pretty innocuous on it’s face but despite that, it niggles at me uncomfortably. I can;t quite put my finger on it and I find myself gravitating towards the bar like Stefan and Sam for a steadying drink… but Dad’ll kill me if he thinks I drank anything from the liquor cabinet again.

“Igor, you mentioned electronic devices. So that’s stuff like phones, computers, tablets and the like right? Simple stuff shouldn't be affected. Light bulbs are just electrical currents going through a filament so street lights, lamps, erm, house lights... simple things like that should still work, right?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Christie and eagerly respond. "Sure, let's go up and meet him. Not like we can't come back later on, right?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson Fp 4/4

Poise, decorum, eager to look after her employees interests, well kept; however, the fact that she didn’t know her employer was expecting someone shows a lack of care and attention to his schedule. And she didn’t have tea ready beforehand! At best, a C+ maid. Dad would have her tossed out of the manor in a week. Then I catch onto the fact that she doesn’t seem quite human and I decide to keep my thoughts to myself.

Christie seems pretty on the ball with his question so I hesitate to interrupt and ask my own until Viola comes up with another… Violaism? Well, at least the questions aren’t incredibly insulting this time around… I think? Well in any case I doubt Viola would be in too much danger in this place so we may as well let her run free for a little bit, get rid of some of that excess energy. And if someone has a problem with that, they can be in charge of clown watch duty for the rest of the day.

“Igor did mention that you were the expert when it came to the Dark Hour. Christie has a fair point about how dangerous it is to other people outside of the hour itself, but I have other questions. According to Igor, electronic devices don’t work in the Dark Hour. I know that likely accounts for phones, computers and things but what about simple devices like say… light bulbs?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

So, as long as it was connected to a generator or some kind… alright, that makes sense. Dad probably had one or two around for his work, in case of black-outs or whatever so it wasn’t too weird. But how would it be set up every night, unless the generators were running at all times?“So complex stuff is right out in any case, but lights and other simple stuff would still work with an external generator running. In that case, things like hand-cranked flashlights would also presumably function? Those are useful tools we can bring along when we go exploring.” Seeing Sam’s interest, I also ask. “What sort of research would we be assisting with, Doctor?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Riiiiiight. The rock quarry….” drat drat drat! Okay, don’t panic. There’s no guarantee Dad owns the place, and even if he does it’s not like he’s egotistical enough to stick ‘Morganson’ everywhere, and even if he is it’s not like anyone heard me when I mentioned my surname, aaaaand even if they did it’s not like they would think I’m that same Morganson. “Sure, that sounds like a plan. I’m pretty familiar with the area so I can make up a route for the non-hikers among us.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Okay, better get ready to face the music then. “Alright, I count that as 5 for the quarry and one for the tunnels. We’ve got a bit of time before midnight so maybe we should prepare a bit before heading in? Quarries are dangerous enough places during work hours, let alone the dead of night. I can pop home and get some gear ready to make things a bit easier; flares, boots, flashlights, rope and things. Oh, is anyone here a designated first aider? Having more then one person in the group would be good if any… accidents happen. Mundane or supernatural.” I suppose if I’m going to pick up some gear, I don’t have time to run everyone through some basic “health and safety”and “first aid” crash courses. Ah well, I’ll just have to be a little extra alert when shepherding the newbies along.

“Well, er. I don’t know about getting back to Norton, Christie, but there is an Inn here pretty close to the train station, so maybe if it comes to it you could spend the night. Or, maybe, you could, perhaps, stay over at one of our places?” I gesture around to Viola, Laurel and myself. “My house could… probably fit you all in for the day? You know, if it comes to it.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 4/4

"Uh... okay, sure. If you don't mind helping me haul a few things. If we're meeting everyone else at the quarry, then we can prioritise the essential things on the way over. It'll be a bit of a hike from my house to the quarry though. If you're up for it we can go now. Oh, uh, as long as that's going to be the plan?" I cast a look around to the rest of the party, looking for confirmation.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

poo poo! The first time I see him in two days and he’s back home from working early? Alright James, calm down and keep that temper under control. Let’s not air the families dirty laundry out in public.

“Da-Father.” I begin, stutter barely noticeable. I step forward and nod my head slightly. “I apologise. I did not know you would be finished with your work so early today. For the most part, I stayed behind at school; Our Biology teacher put on an additional workshop for those interested in the subject and I decided to attend.”

I gesture to the other two with me. “These are a pair from a group of classmates I met there, Stephan and Christie. When I mentioned the local wild-life in class, the group were quite interested in going for a close up view. We three came back here to pick up a few hiking supplies while the others find a place to start. If I had known you would be here Father, I would have called ahead.”

----

Okay, let’s very “carefully” massage the truth and Dad’s temper. There’s almost no outright lies here afterall, just a version of the truth that doesn't include crazy clowns or personas.

Massage the truth and Dads temper: 4dF -1+3 for the careful approach makes +2.
Since I am the Apple of Daddies Eye I'll invoke that as well, to make it a +4

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

Seriously dad, curfew? We’re doing this again? ”Overprotective rear end-hole.” Well despite all that, the meeting went way better then expected, considering I didn’t call ahead with the fact I was bringing guests. And they were so clearly unprepared to accept company.

I move between the various aisles in our basement, ticking off a mental checklist and carefully avoiding the imposing door to our secondary storage. I don’t actually need to of course; I’ve been down here hundreds of times before, both with and without permission, and I know where everything is off the top of my head. It's just a thing I do before every expedition, a little good luck ritual of sorts. As I move, I talk to the seemingly stunned Christie and Stephan. “Right, slightly new plan. We pick out the absolute necessities only; flashlights, some rope, anything else absolutely essential, and that’s it. We go out for our “hike” then I come back here for nine, and put everything back. When the dark hour hits, I rush down here, grab everything again and sprint to the quarry where I meet all of you. I know these woods like the back of my hand, so it shouldn’t take me more then fifteen minutes. When the dark hour is close to finishing, I come back and put everything away again. Doesn’t matter if I’m a bit late; it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to sneak back in.” I remember something and turn quickly to Chrisite. “Uhm, we may need to put that slumber party on hold for a while.” I look between the pair and ask. “Everybody okay with that?”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP3/4

I’m a little distracted ticking things on and crossing them off mentally to get the full gist of what Stephan says right away; something about my dad? It’s only when he and Christie start to mention their concerns that my concentration is broken.

“It’s not that far really.” I quickly map out the quickest trail in my mind to confirm. “We’re going straight to the quarry after we’re finished here, so we’ll find out soon. I have done a bit of exploring in the Dark Hour before now and I havn’t… encountered anything so far. But there’s a first time for everything.” I suck in a break and think before continuing. “Yeah, that could work Christie. On the way over we could pick a spot to meet up at… or… I guess the last option is I sneak out early. I’m not fond of that idea, but the option is there...”

I can’t think of any other possibilities, so I finish up with. “Let’s make the trip and meet the others first. I can judge the sort of distance involved and find out what everyone else thinks!”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson FP 3/4

drat, he does own this place. Argh! Around Honeybee it’s harder to find a place he doesn’t own.

“Well, maybe inventory or something administrative. Or maybe maintenance on the equipment when none of it is in use? It’s a bit to late for any of the heavy work, and we would hear the equipment going if it was something like that.” I answer Stephan. “The only quarries I know about Dad owning have been shut down for a while. He might have restarted work here for some reason and not mentioned it to me though... He hasn’t said anything about trespassers or breaking and entering either so I'm pretty sure this is 'official'.”

Laurel brings up a suggestion and I’m quick to interject. “Erm, not to push anyone into doing it, but if some one is going to scout… it probably shouldn’t be Christie or Stephan, in case someone sees and mentions it to Dad… And it definitely shouldn’t be me.” I pause for a second before hastily adding “Or VIola! Definitely not Viola.”

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson 3/4

I’m feeling a bit guilty but there’s no way in hell I’m risking things with dad on the chance of being caught. Sam and Laurel are the only two he wouldn’t recognise a description or picture of. Well, he wouldn't recognise Viola either, but sending her on an errand that requires stealth seems… counter-productive. Still, that only applies in places where we're likely to encounter someone.

“While they’re scouting ahead in the lit up tunnels, we can either investigate the other areas and meet back up here in a few minutes, or stay here in case they end up needing help. What do you guys think?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

James Morganson

On the one hand, inflicting a Viola on someone without a full hour prep work is probably a war crime in some countries. On the other hand, he volunteered, so not my problem! On the third hand if they do get in trouble Stephan and Christie are going to be to busy wrangling Viola to get out of there. On the forth hand, someone should probably stay lookout from out here in case anyone comes patrolling. On the fift-

“Let’s all have a look in the unlit tunnels then. We’ll be hidden enough if someone comes patrolling along the face, we’re less likely to encounter someone in an unworked area and we’ll still be close enough to help Laurel and Sam if they get in trouble.”

• Locked thread