Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Christie Fairchild

I always hated riding the bus at the beginning of the school year. Not because I actually disliked riding the bus, but because I wasn't sure what to do in the meanwhile; a few weeks into the semester, I could be studying my notes or reviewing my schoolwork, but as of now I was being more idle than I preferred. Admittedly, it was a rather silly complaint, so I tried to let myself relax. I wouldn't say that I succeeded, but at least I tried, right?
---
Putting aside my curiosity as to what the announcement was about, I decided that since I had the opportunity, it would be smart to go figure out where some of my classes were; I was already fairly familiar with the layout of Six Sisters, so I figured I had the time before I needed to start making my way over to the auditorium. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, I was somewhat restless after having nothing to do during the bus ride over, and this was a productive way of working off that energy. Making sure to carefully keep an eye on my watch, I started my trek around the school grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Oh, good morning... Dr. Cleaver? I figured I should look for my classes since I'd just be sitting around waiting otherwise."

I didn't recognize the man upon first sight, but that was to be expected; there were a number of teachers throughout the academy, after all. Still, you'd think I would've heard of a name like that before. Taking his offered hand, I shake it for a moment before my eyes catch glimpse of the time; I had wanted to ask more about exactly what he had meant, yet we were both going to be late if we didn't move now, and it apparently had something to do with the announcement anyhow. At least I had managed to find most of my classes.

"We should probably start making our way to the auditorium, Dr. Cleaver; it's almost 8 already."

Honey Bee, huh? I... didn't know much about the small town, honestly, which made me all the more curious as to what the train schedule was doing here. There was a thought or two about what it could mean, but I put them aside; I'd know for sure in a few minutes anyways.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

As I had begun to guess, the "HB" meant that my classes were in Honey Bee; what I hadn't expected was the reasoning for it. "Six Sisters, Honeybee Division..." It was...unusual, to say the least. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure what the point of it was from an academic perspective, but I figured that if the administration had made this decision then they had their own good reasons for it, even if I couldn't understand them. Besides, a change of scenery and some fresh air might be good for me. Studying under an apple tree or by a, a lake or something like that could be nice...?

I really had to wonder what the administration's reasoning was. Thankfully the train rides were free, although even I'd have something to say if they weren't. Oh, speaking of, I thought, when was I meant to take the train? If it was my third and fourth period classes then... the 12 to 1 time frame? I wonder what kind of restaurants Honey Bee has? I'd really have to do some research about the place if I was going to be there half of the school day.

The principal continues talking, though I only half-listen as my thoughts shift to forming a mental picture of what the town might look like as well as what the people there are like. Making friends outside of the city had a nice ring to it the more I thought about it...

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 13, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Still somewhat lost in thought as the dean ends his speech, it takes me a moment to snap out of my daze, by which time everyone has begun leaving for their classes. Luckily, I already found mine beforehand, so even though I was slow to leave I'd make it on time. As I make my way over to the Social and Behavioral Sciences building, weaving through the crowd of students, I catch the tail end of a conversation between two unfamiliar faces. A conversation about Psychology class, in fact, which meant they were my classmates. Darting my way back through the crowd, I call out to the duo as I approach.

"Excuse me! You two said you were looking for Room 105, right? Introduction to Psychology? I'm not sure why when Room 104 is right here, but 105 is down a different hallway."

It was rather odd, now that I thought about it. Maybe it had something to do with the construction? Or was it possibly an error with administration? Well, the reason didn't matter, really. Though if it was confusing new students, maybe it was something I should bring up to the dean? Hmm. Shelving that notion for another day, I smile towards the pair and motion at said hallway.

"I'm headed for 105 myself, so I can take you two there if you'd like."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Follow me then! We should still be good on time if we move now. Ah, by the way, my name is Christie. Nice to meet the two of you."

Realizing that I had yet to introduce myself to the pair, I do so before leading them into the classroom. Inside, I took the opportunity to choose a seat in the front row before the seats were all filled, and brought out all the supplies I needed for proper note-taking. As expected, most people were discussing the merger with Honey Bee, although the rumor about the mirror briefly caught my attention. How people came up with these superstitions already when it was still the first day, I had no idea. Although, if one of the janitors had gotten injured...

Before I can give much more thought to the rumor, our teacher comes in and introduces himself as Mr. Schlaf before beginning the lecture. And what an odd lecture it was! I was wondering why his expression had looked so blank; I was assuming lack of sleep, but I can confidently say I never would have guessed auto-hypnosis to be the answer. Still, for the sake of a productive environment, I really hoped that situations like this wouldn't be the norm for Psychology.

---
With the rest of the lecture proceeding normally, I find the two that I guided earlier once the bell rings. They seemed nice enough, and besides, they probably needed help finding our next class.

"So, what'd you guys think of your first lecture here? Mr. Schlaf falling asleep aside, that is. Honestly..."

Searching for another topic to talk about, I'm led back to the train of thought I had earlier.

"Did you hear about that ridiculous rumor people were talking about before the lecture started? I mean seriously now, it's only the beginning of the semester and we already have a new absurd superstition going around."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 17, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Surprised by Sam's sudden outburst, I find myself staring confusedly without a reply ready. Had I made a mistake somehow? It seemed like a rather harmless topic, so I just threw it out there. But for some reason, it seemed as if she had taken offense? Well, regardless if it was hers or not like Stefan had ventured, I should apologize.

"It seems like I said something wrong, so, um... sorry."

Man, talk about embarrassing. Would it be better or worse if I asked what I had said wrong? Probably worse? Unable to decide, I rub at my tensed shoulder while waiting for her response.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Okay, something else, something else... shouldn't talk about the rumor, already talked about the class... oh, of course!

"So, um, how about that merger with Honey Bee, huh? It caught me completely by surprise, to say the least. I've never gone there myself, so it could be interesting, don't you think?"

There, found a completely different topic! Hopefully Sam wouldn't take this poorly as well, because I was more or less out of ideas after this. Hmm, maybe that was something I should study if I had free time: "Topics for casual conversation." Ah, but, that's not really something you should have to study, is it...

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Did I somehow just manage to step on a second landmine? At least this one didn't seem to be as bad as the first. To be fair, their points were valid, and if I was being honest, I'd probably learn better in a familiar environment than having to adjust to a new one. Still, being this down on the idea right from the start seemed a little harsh. Before we went there even!

"At least we'll get to meet new people? The air's probably fresher than here in the city too. Um, and..."

I pause as I try and look for something else to argue with. Wait a second, I thought, why am I defending a place I've never even been to? Reflecting on that for a moment, my eyes widen as I glance down at my watch.

"And...and...and we are going to be late for class if we don't leave now! Come on! I remember reading a note saying that History'll be on the third floor of the Arts and Humanities building for today..."

Totally wasn't using a handy excuse after running out of reasons. At least, not completely anyways.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Thankfully, History passes by without any more hiccups, both with the teacher and on my end. I did find it harder to concentrate in class than normal, but I managed to pull through. And after that, we were in Honey Bee. It was... well, it was more or less what I expected. I still wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing at this point, but there you had it. What was a bad thing, or at least embarrassing, was all the attention us Norton kids were attracting. Did we stand out that much? I guess we must have. I'd just have to get used to it, I suppose.

---

Awkwardly, I glanced about the cafeteria, my homemade lunch in hand. Hadn't thought about this part. Where was I supposed to sit? Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spot Stefan and Sam sitting down at a table with a few other kids. The memories from this morning were still unfortunately fresh in my mind, but just standing around like this wasn't accomplishing anything. Besides, it wasn't as if they were actually mad at me or anything. Probably? More nervously than I should, I walked up to the table with a light smile.

"Hey, Stefan, Sam. Mind if I sit here too?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Well, we do kind of stand out in our uniforms, so I noticed you two even from across the cafeteria," I say offhandedly as I sit down beside Stefan. Humming as I unwrap my lunch, I'm about to say something when a girl comes up to us. In...jester wear? I thought we stood out, but I guess Honey Bee allows their drama club to wear costumes around campus?

Then she suddenly pales while looking over at us, and now two more kids are coming over. Did we do something wrong? Did I do something wrong? I hope not, because that'd be the third time today. Should I say something? I didn't know her though, so wouldn't it be awkward? Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides, at this point, what did I have to lose really. Other than looking like an idiot in front of everyone present, of course. That cheerful thought in my mind, I set down my lunch and walk towards the jester girl, hands opened in a peaceful gesture.

"Excuse me, but is something wrong? Are you okay? ...Please don't tell me we messed up somehow by sitting here."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Tarot cards? Marked by Death? Persona? There was so much information being thrown at me that I was having a hard time keeping up with the conversation, and yet something about it all felt...right. Like I was meant to be here, listening to all this babble that to anyone else would have sounded like the ramblings of a madman. I fished out that familiar card, and held it up between my thumb and index finger. On it, the Roman numeral XIX, and the depiction of a sun with a small smile. Not unlike my usual expression, thinking about it.

"I'm not going to say that I entirely get what's going on here, because I really, really don't. But I have one of those cards too, for what it's worth."

Even as I said it, there was a sense of warmth that filled my body, although I still wasn't certain whether I was imagining that or not. The warmth, the comforting figure from back then, and...

"...And as crazy as it sounds, I've experienced an hour between midnight and one that shouldn't exist," I say out loud, though it's more to myself than anyone in particular. Please, I thought, let them have experienced it too.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
And...there Stefan went. Well, that could have gone better. I give a nod at Sam as she stands up from the table.

"We should definitely check up on him. ...And maybe we don't bring up this whole 'Persona' thing until we're sure he's okay."

"Right, and I'm Christie. Christie Fairchild. Nice to meet all of you, despite all the weirdness going on."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP 4/4

The girl with the glasses was... Sabrina, was it? She was in our class, if I remembered right. Before I can say anything, James and Sam step in and... well, they managed to get her to leave anyways. Not that I could say anything with how all of my recent conversations had been going. Instead, I decided to focus on pursuing Stefan, who apparently just vanished into a wall. Wait, what?

"I... don't think he's a ghost. But he definitely just somehow walked through that wall."

Then, moments later, he comes walking out, Laurel just managing to step out of the way as he does so. Somehow even more confused at this whole situation than I was earlier, I follow up on Laurel by saying,

"If you are a ghost, please say so now, because I honestly don't think I'd be surprised at this point."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4

Hearing Stefan stutter, I can't help but feel a little bad as if we were putting him on the spot. Sheepishly, I clap him on the shoulder with a warm grin.

"Don't worry, we're with you, to...whatever you want to show us after school."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4

As usual, I sat up at the front for third (and fourth) period. So Dr. Cleaver was our Biology teacher, huh? Made sense. His opening statements about no lab experiments had me disappointed at first, up until he mentioned the after-school workshops. Not only were we being given the opportunity for a more hands-on experience, but there was even extra credit being thrown in? Frankly, I couldn't see a reason to not go... except for the fact that today, I had promised Stefan I would go with him someplace after school. Well, I wasn't certain how long Stefan's meetup would take. Maybe there was time to do both? But I didn't want for us to miss the last train home. What to do, what to do...

By the time Biology was over, the only thing I could think of was asking Stefan to wait until after the lab ended before going. But wasn't that rather rude on my end? Especially after telling him that "we're with you." Yet what else could I do? Feeling more than a little guilty, I found and spoke to Stefan before we left for fourth period.

"Hey, Stefan? I, um, know that I said I'd follow you after school, but I really don't want to miss out on Dr. Cleaver's labs, so... would you mind not leaving until after it's over? You don't have to if you don't want to, of course! I'd totally understand."

Asking made me feel even worse, but I was the jerk here for pretty much immediately backpedaling on what I had just promised, so I didn't exactly feel sorry for myself. Hopefully he wouldn't take it too badly...?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Huh? Wait, Sam-"

Before I had time to respond, Sam lets go of me and walks away. My fault? I glance over at Sabrina, off on her lonesome at the end. I guess I could understand why Sam would want to keep her distance after what happened, but... what was I supposed to do here? It's not like I knew her very well. Yet somehow, I got the sense that I really, really didn't want to let those two speak, for everyone's sake. Oh well, nothing to do but get to it. Having absolutely no idea what Sam expected of me, I take up a microscope beside Sabrina and say,

"Hey, Sabrina, was it? Do you mind if I work here?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4 (+1)

All-Smiles one...? I mean, I smiled a lot, sure, but having that be used as part of my identity was something new. Well, no reason to be offended, I suppose, since she meant it as a compliment. I think? It was a little hard to tell, honestly. On the other side of the lab, I overhear the others as they start to talk about... "exploding toads?" Huh? I must have been mishearing them at this distance, because that sounded absolutely ridiculous. But I had to admit, I was awfully curious- no, no, had to focus. Came here to learn, after all, even if Sam also wanted me to keep Sabrina busy.

I look through the microscope, occasionally drawing back to take notes, only partially taking in what Sabrina is saying. Something about... more people than she expected? She wasn't wrong there; most people wouldn't bother coming to something like this. Heck, if it wasn't for our meetup being delayed until later, I wasn't even sure how many of us would have shown up. That thought standing out to me as my mind was more intently concentrating on the lab, I offhandedly say without really thinking about it,

"Well, I would have headed home with them, if it wasn't for this lab and the fact we're all meeting up with Stefan after this... not that I'm exactly sure where he plans on taking us."

Compel: Single-Minded Diligence to put a(nother) foot in my mouth while focusing on the microscope.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 5/4

I stood there in a daze as an unexpected ringing fills my mind. Emperor Arcana? What did that even mean? I mean, it presumably must have had something to do with these cards we all had. Wait, no, not all of us. As far as we knew, at least, Dr. Cleaver didn't have one, and neither did Sabrina-

That's about when I realize exactly what I had just said, in a far too late flash of insight. At least it explained why Sam had suddenly decided to come over and start talking around me. If looks could kill though, I'd be dead ten times over, judging by how annoyed she looked. With good reason, admittedly. So...now what? I couldn't just take back what I said after all. Well, I technically could, but I'd feel terrible for doing so. Yet I got the sense that whatever it was Stefan wanted to show us was something he wanted to keep between us six. What to do, what to do, what to do? Trying to mask the fact that I had no idea what to do, I throw out,

"Well, um, I don't know about imposing exactly, but honestly it's probably not going to be that interesting. It, it's pretty quiet out here compared to Norton, you know? We asked James about the nightlife here, and the first thing he thought of was actual nightlife! Like insects and bats and all that. I mean, if that still sounds fun to you..."

Yeah, I seriously had no idea where to go from there with that tangent. I awkwardly turn and smile at Sam, shooting her my best non-verbal expression of "Sorry I'm an idiot but please help me here."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 30, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I glance down at my watch at Laurel's words, still somewhat shaken up from what happened in the lab.

"If I remember right, the final train leaves from here at 11:30, so we have about six hours. Still, I'd like to get home before it gets too late- Hold on a second, you're taking us to a club? What for?"

From what Viola had said, it didn't exactly sound as if it was a lively place. Not that I thought Stefan was taking us there just to have fun; his demeanor was way too nervous and worried for that. So rather than mistrust or hesitation, I was more confused than anything else.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

...If I was being entirely honest with myself, I did find this "Igor's" nose to be curiously large. But there were definitely more important questions to be asked right now, and James had taken most of them right out of my mouth. I almost felt bad for Igor for the sudden barrage of inquiries shot at him, although he seemed like the always composed type.

"Hold on, James, give the man a moment to answer. Um, you do have answers, right? This whole Persona business has me a little confused, truthfully, and I find it pretty strange that we all happened to meet each other like this."

My eyes take in the surroundings and my ears the music. It wasn't really my kind of place, but it did have an odd charm to it. There was just...something about this "Velvet Room" that I liked. A certain je ne sais quoi, as the French might say.

"For my own question...what exactly is this Velvet Room for? Are you here just to answer our questions, or...?"

I end with a vague motion, unsure as to what function this Velvet Room could have. Other than atmosphere and drinks, that is. Speaking of, I was keeping a close eye on Sam. I really hope she wasn't planning on actually drinking. Did they even serve actual drinks here? Possibly? The bartender was just a boy though. Admittedly, a boy bartender was far from the weirdest thing I had seen today, but still. It wasn't exactly my place to stop her either, but I couldn't help but worry nonetheless.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Emotional peak, huh? That was one way of putting it. Wasn't so sure about the enlightenment part, but maybe Igor knew something I didn't. Sure gave off the impression that he did, anyways. But, did that did mean everyone else went through something similar to what I went through? Something worse, even? It was unpleasant to think about, so I stopped; if it came up, I'd worry about it then, but there were other issues to consider now. Like the fact that apparently Stefan was being stalked by the literal Reaper! And that said Reaper was just hanging out in Norton! Also demons were apparently a real thing too! Hearing all of this back to back was stressful, to put it lightly, and I wasn't even the one Marked. Laurel seemed intent on leaving the Reaper matter to the man himself, but I couldn't help but ask,

"This "Reaper," is there something we can do to make him stop hunting Stefan? I'm not expecting a game of chess to work or anything, but...something? And these Shadows and demons, are they a threat outside the Dark Hour? ...Do we need to be worried about them attacking people we know?"

My throat tightens as the last of my words comes out. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind until I started talking, but there it was, ready to give me a panic attack. Please say no, I thought, please say no.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

From the sound of it, it seemed like a visit to this Dr. Victor was in order; there were a fair number of questions that Igor and Christopher didn't have the answers to. Plus, I was a little curious on what the resident demon and apparently tech expert was like. Looking around, there was a set of stairs in the back that curved upwards. I glanced around, saying,

"Then, I'll be going to speak with this Dr. Victor then. Did anyone want to come with me?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I can't help but stare at the woman as she first greets us. Somehow, I really didn't expect a maid of all things to be here. To be fair, she was almost definitely not human, what with the skin and red eyes and all. Thinking of it, the boy downstairs had yellowish eyes, didn't he? How strange. Then a man comes out, the Dr. Victor we were looking for. He was a lot less mad scientist than I was expecting for an expert on demons. Kinda reminded me of a ship captain or something, actually.

"Um, hello, Dr. Victor. I'm Christie, and we had a few questions about demons; we asked downstairs, but they said you'd be the best person to ask? I guess first and foremost...are we talking about actual, literal demons here? Fire and brimstone and all that? It sounded like there was more to it from what Igor said, but I figured I should ask. My main question though is whether or not these demons are dangerous outside the Dark Hour."

I had more to ask, but that seemed like the most important concern, at least at the moment. I'm sure once he inevitably dropped a bombshell or two on us, I'd have something else to ask, judging by how the rest of our conversations in the Velvet Room had been going.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I... I had gotten the impression that Viola was somewhat out there, but this was on a whole other level. I didn't even know who this Flynn was, but most computers didn't make tea! Mary wasn't even a computer! What kind of education did this girl even receive? What was her house life like? I couldn't even begin to imagine. Really, I wasn't even sure I wanted to. I mean, I was doing my best to take the whole situation in stride, but...

"Um, Viola? Mary is an incredible machine and all, but she's not a computer, she's... I guess an android? Is that right, Doctor? The point is that they're not the same thing."

She really was well-made though. At a distance, I wasn't sure you'd be able to tell that she was a machine. There was the whole unblinking, unchanging expression thing that was a little off-putting, but besides that her appearance was remarkably human-like. Really, really incredible, I had to admit.

"...Oh, um, right. I'd be happy to help with any research as well, if it meant having a way to deal with these demons."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"Yes, she might have a CPU and all that," I continue to try and explain to Viola, "but that doesn't mean she's a computer. Being walky and talky is what disqualifies her in the first place."

From the sounds of it, the group had for the most part decided we're heading to the quarries. But... staying out late wasn't really something I was accustomed to, especially so far from home. At least the tunnels would have been closer to Norton, as Sam said. But the Honey Bee kids mentioned something about a missing person? Here? It was something I wanted to look into, yet...

"...Um, I'm fine with investigating the quarry, I suppose. I'll need to text my family I'll be home late though. And we should start thinking about transportation as well; the trains aren't going to be running after the Dark Hour."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Staying over, huh... I guess that was an option. When was the last time I had stayed over at a friend's place? Hm... I actually couldn't remember. Well, it'd be a nice change of pace I supposed. Before that though, that was an awful amount of equipment that James wanted to collect. Not that he was wrong to want to be so prepared, but it was a lot for one person to handle.

"If you wouldn't mind having me over, I'd appreciate it. By the way, do you need a hand getting all of that ready? With six of us here, it's quite a bit for one person to handle alone."

Pausing for a second, a sudden thought occurs to me. Turning to the rest I add,

"Also, maybe we should head over to the quarry before the Dark Hour sets in, to get the lay of the land and all that before... well, anything dangerous might happen."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

So... that was Mr. Morganson. James' dad. He was a little different than what I was expecting. A lot different, actually, and not exactly in a pleasant way either. But it wasn't really my place to judge, and at least he trusted us enough to go wandering around with his son. Well, to an extent, anyways. Giving a shrug to James I say,

"Don't worry, I'll figure something out regarding a place to stay for the night."

I hoped I would, anyways. There was an inn, he had said earlier, and maybe Laurel could give us lodging. Listening to Stefan, I give a nod and add,

"Even if you know the woods, I'm worried about you going through them alone during the Dark Hour. Maybe we can wait for you close by before it hits midnight, and can walk with you back to the quarry?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I had to admit, now that I was actually here, there was something exciting about exploring a place like this at night. Of course, I'm sure that once the Dark Hour hit I wouldn't feel so chipper, but I could enjoy it for the moment at least. Handing out supplies to anyone who wanted them, I take a quick glance around the quarry, noticing that there seemed to be three options we had to take. The standout one to me was the lit-up tunnel; after all, light meant someone had been here recently. A worker, maybe, and hopefully someone who could help us find our missing child.

"Perhaps we should investigate that tunnel with the lights still active? If someone is here, then we might want to ask them a few questions before they leave for the night."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"I suppose that it'd be in our best interests to scout as much as possible before the Dark Hour hits."

Looking around, there were other tunnels as well. I wasn't entirely sure what, or even if we would find anything, but it couldn't hurt to look.

"How about we investigate one of these unlit tunnels? We can wait to go too far in until everyone's back together."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

At first, I intended on calling out to the new source of light, curious as to who might be wandering around. But the lack of footsteps... what could be the explanation for that? Slightly on edge, I whisper to the others,

"Something about this feels wrong. Perhaps we should turn back, go get Sam and Laurel?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

A... jack-o'-lantern? And it was floating? And talking? And... then my mind registers something it had just said. "Heck, you ain't even a demon." It took a substantial amount of willpower to not curse under my breath, and instead I curve my lips into a half-hearted smile. If this was a demon, and I had the feeling the answer would be yes, it wasn't hostile. Yet. But that could change at any moment, so we'd have to watch what we said-

...At least Viola wasn't actively antagonizing the floating pumpkin. Yet. Trying to keep my voice steady, I add in,

"Yes, it's...nice to meet you. Um, if you don't mind me asking... what do you mean by last one?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe not all demons had hostile intentions? Feeling unsure and rather overwhelmed by the whole situation, I'm taken by surprise when we learn that someone had died, no was killed around here recently. And then Viola just casually offers for the demon to come along with us. Seriously? But... it had helped us out so far, and didn't seem particularly malicious. Ugh, what to do at a time like this? ...What would Dad do?

Benefit of the doubt, I thought, and always try to see the best in people. Those were things that Dad taught me, and demon or not, Pyro Jack hadn't given me any reason to openly distrust him. So, with that in mind, I quietly added,

"... Yeah, what Viola said, Mr. Pyro Jack. We'd appreciate any aid you could lend us."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

That... that was a body, wasn't it? And that was blood on Sam? I felt sick, and scared, and... gods, this was messed up. So, so messed up. My lips dry, I stumble for a bit, before managing a weak,

"...Sam? Laurel? What, what happened here while we were gone?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP:4/4

Still more than a little shaken, I watch as Pyro Jack makes his way down the hallway, towards... whatever it was that killed this poor guy. The first time, that is. Gods, demons, and now zombies. A mixed bag didn't even begin to describe this situation, not one bit. Since we had come this far, I figured we might as well investigate what exactly had Pyro Jack so excited. From a distance, that is, a very safe distance. Fumbling around through the supplies we gathered back at James' place, I manage to dig out the pair of binoculars I was looking for.

"I... l'm gonna take a look at what has Pyro Jack so worked up. If I, I dunno, start to go Lovecraftian or something then..."

Not really sure how to finish that sentence, I just bring up the binoculars and focus in on the end of the corridor.

Spending a Fate Point for convenient binoculars.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

I... what? I don't know what I expected, but it sure wasn't this. A... mural did this to Frankie? Or was there something I was missing? Confusion beginning to overtake my dread, I begin to describe to the others.

"There's... a mural of a man. Maybe Roman era clothing? But there's this kind of Central, maybe Southern America theme to it too, plus a whole bunch of mask-like faces embedded into the wall and... well, maybe it's better if you guys just see for yourselves."

Saying that, I hand off the binoculars to anyone who wants them as I continue speaking.

"I don't really see how a mural could be dangerous, but... I mean, I'm willing to believe just about anything at this point, honestly. Do we... want to take a closer look?"

My eyes glance down at Frankie, bloodied and lifeless; I didn't know him, but I didn't have to in order to feel regret this happened to him. More importantly for the moment though, I was hesitant to go anywhere near something that could potentially kill and then zombify us.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

If I was being honest, I didn't really want to go anywhere near that mural, but Stefan had gone over there and nothing had happened so it was... probably all right? Probably was a scary word to be using in this situation, but at least it was better than "definitely a deathtrap." Not much better, admittedly, but hey, had to look sort of on the bright side here. I give a nod in response to James' question, before glancing back at Viola and Laurel. They were hesitant to approach the mural, it seemed, and with good reason; having Baldr by my side right now would do wonders for my confidence. Or my bravado, maybe. Still, I put on the best smile I can muster in the face of literal death and say,

"It's fine if you stay here, Viola, Laurel; I think the three of us should be able to handle investigating. Four if Sam wants to come along, of course."

Saying that, I start after James, though I try to follow Stefan's lead as I approach with caution.

Carefully walking up to the Mural. Try was the operative word there, it seems.
<TheFireMagi> !roll 4dF+3
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, -/-/+3 = 1

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Hearing James' warning, I immediately start to move out of the way. Not fast enough that I don't get clipped, unfortunately, but at least I don't have a hole in my head.

<TheFireMagi> !roll 4dF+3
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, +/+/+3 = 5

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
FP: 4/4, Stress: -1

"I'm fine! I'm fine. It stings, but I'm fine. Thanks for the warning, James."

All things considered, that could have gone far, far worse. I glance over at Sam, who's taken out the...COMP, that's what it was called. Wiping off the blood with my hand (which wasn't exactly sanitary, after I thought about it), I get to my feet and call out to her.

"Anything useful on that thing about what this mural is?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

"No arguments here," I reply to James, letting him pull me away from the mural. So it hated me cause of my Arcana, it seemed. Wasn't that just great. And of course, the fact that both me and James would approach the mural at the same time while also being the two people here it really didn't like was... I dunno, ironic, I guess. A cruel twist of fate or fortune, whichever you believed in. But we were alive, and didn't get maimed in the process, so that was a plus. Glancing down at Frankie... at Frankie's corpse, rather, I noted that the diamond was still on his person. Reaching down, I very carefully grab it with minimal looking at the body, before holding it out and saying,

"Anyone want to try handing this to Stefan, or should I just... lob it to him?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

Well, Stefan returned the diamond and we hadn't all died in some kind of new death trap. So that was good, very good. But now Pyro Jack was back, and with some friends too, who immediately start fighting among one another. I can tell it's not serious, but with that knife the trenchcoat Jack has and Pyro Jack apparently being able to light fires, I'm a little wary of them accidentally hitting one of us or something.

"Hey, hey, relax you three. Like Stefan said, it was moving earlier. Got this nasty cut on my forehead to prove it. So... you're all Jack? Um, just Jack, or...?"

It only occurred to me after I finished talking that I was trying to settle the Jacks down as if they were kids. Which, from the way they were acting, I wouldn't have been surprised, but they were still demons. Needed to be more careful in the future.

• Locked thread