Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Sam Whittaker

You know what I miss most about Forrest Academy? No commute. You go to sleep on campus, you wake up on campus, it's all as easy as pie. Or at least better than taking the bus all the time. Six Sisters says they have the best buses in the city, but let's be honest. A bus is a bus, no matter how many convenient little add-ons you stick on it. All the wifi in the world isn't going to make the guy I'm sitting next to not elbow me in the ribs every time we hit a bump.

But hey, I might as well look on the bright side. At least I got a window seat.
---
Most people would be using this time to find their classes. New school, new classes, an assembly you need to attend in ten minutes, you'd be a fool not to do something. Me, I think that's a bit too much work for this early in the morning. That's why I'm just going to loiter over here where I'm out of the way and wait for someone interesting to show up that I can follow to the auditorium and try not to look tired. It's easier than running around campus and staring at my schedule for ten minutes, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Maybe this loitering plan wasn't the best idea. It's been a few minutes and I haven't seen anything that interesting. Maybe I should just get going and find that auditorium...

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Aaah! Please don't move your foot, it's a Mythic Rare!"

I freeze. Here I thought I'd never find anyone interesting and who comes along but the queen of all nerds. This is... actually not what I was looking for at all, but I know literally no one at this school so I'll take what I can get. I reach out to shake her hand and-wait. She has a business card? You got to be kidding me.

"I'm, uh... Thanks?" Screw me sideways, this is actually a decent card. The typography's good, they didn't cheap out on the paper, it's actually... Well, it's complete overkill for anything you'd do in high school, but maybe that's just the kind of place Six Sisters is? Forrest had weird actually-true ghost stories, Six Sisters has confusingly high quality business cards. Not that that matters, since Sabrina already ran off while I was gawking at her card, so I better- Never mind, she's back. With snacks? And she just shoved them into my hands and left again? That's... just...

"Hey! Slow down! You can't just drop junk food on me and walk off! I'm not that cheap, y'know!" I run after Sabrina and... Okay, she didn't rush that fast. Didn't really need to run, actually. Lesson learned.

"I'm ha I'm Sam Whittaker, good to meet ya. I don't have a card to give you, because uh... Because I have dignity, mostly. So, uh... Do you know where the auditorium is? Because I don't."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Oh come on. We have to go to Golden Bee every day? You might as well have dorms at that point..." You know, for a few minutes there I almost thought going to Six Sisters wasn't going to be that bad. Maybe it wasn't going to be that bad here, once I stop comparing everything to Forrest. But no, they decided to do something legitimately terrible and add two hours of bus rides to my day so I could take classes with a bunch of country yokels. What an utter waste of my time. I crack open my can of tea and take a sip to try to relax. (Are there rules against eating in the auditorium? Probably, but no one confiscated my food when I came in so I don't really care.)

... But now that I'm thinking about it, maybe this won't be as bad as I think it is. I mean, they're a bunch of yokels. They probably haven't heard about, you know, everything I said on Twitter about shadows. I'm sure they've heard less than anyone in Norton, at least. And really, isn't that why I'm here? To have a slightly more normal social life? So maybe this will work out fine in the end, despite being incredibly annoying? Eh, whatever. I'll think about that later. For now, the only thing that matters is this free can of tea and waiting for the dean to shut up.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Alright. First class of the day is intro psych, room 105. Shouldn't be a problem, as soon as I find it. Which shouldn't be that long, since I just passed room 103. And here's room 104, and next should be... room 112? How does that make sense? Alright, let's just check the map and... Wait... How is everything else so expensive here when the map's this bad? You'd think they could afford to make a map you could actually read... Oh screw it, I'm asking for directions.

"Hey, you." I wave over one of the other students in the hall. "Do you know where room 105 is?"

Which other PC did I just ask for directions? :iiam: (But probably Stefan, just so I ask the one who also doesn't know where anything is yet.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Of course it's down. They spent so much on wifi they didn't have any left for servers." Of course I asked the one person who's just as new here as me. Sure, I'd meet him eventually, but right now he's just useless so... Ugggghhhhh. I'll just look over this map again and hope for the best.

Orrrrrr some random guy could offer to help. That works too.

"Uh... Yeah? I mean, it's better than staying lost."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"I'm Sam. Good to meet ya." Well, at least these guys seem nice. Or nice enough to help a random stranger out, which is all I can really ask for at the moment.

As for psych... Of course the teacher's a weirdo. Why wouldn't he be? This school's been strange enough already, so of course the faculty's strange too. But hey, at least this class is going to be easy. Aaaand everyone's going to lump me and Sabrina together, aren't they. Long black hair, glasses, weird occult connections, it's obvious. So obvious I'm already tired of it.
---
"Eh. Seems like it'll be an easy A." Well, Christie's still being friendly. Well, friendly or chatty. You can't really tell the difference when you've only known someone for an hour. At least he hasn't gotten into anything too-

TheFireMagi posted:

"Did you hear about that ridiculous rumor people were talking about before the lecture started? I mean seriously now, it's only the beginning of the semester and we already have a new absurd superstition going around."

I laugh. It's not a pleasant laugh. More like a crow getting punched in the gut. Everyone's probably looking at me. That's not important. What matters is that this boy just told me about how fake a rumor about mirrors is, and there is no sign that he has any idea what he just said.

"Ooohhhh. Oh Chris, I do not know where to even start on that sentence."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"No it wasn't my makeup. If it was my makeup, you wouldn't have heard about it because telling people about weird things that happen around mirrors never goes well for anyone." No, I'm not mad. Why would I be mad? It's not my fault everyone won't shut up about mirrors every time I turn around and I am so tired of this.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit mad.

"No, you don't need to... Whatever. Apology accepted. Let's talk about something else."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Huh. Guess everyone's getting testy today. That... actually makes me feel a bit better. Maybe this conversation isn't actually that bad.

"Don't forget the hours of travel time." My shoulders untense as I slip my hands my hands into my pockets. "If they're going to be taking this much of our time, they might as well just put us in dorms and call it a day."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

History was fine. Not good. Not bad. Just fine. And now I'm stuck on this train for entirely too long to go to a school that's entirely too far away, and that will also go fine. I'm not going to get bored out of my skull, I'm not going to get into a stupid conversation, I am just going to sit here and play phone games until we reach the station and nothing in the world could stop-

quote:

You have lost connection to the NICAEA BETA servers.

Tap here to retry connection

Maybe one thing. I sigh and shove my phone back into my pocket. This is going to be a very long trip...
---
One damp but relatively edible chicken sandwich. One carton of milk. One scoop of canned peaches. All in all, not the best lunch to start the school year on. But hey, at least it's cheap. Now to just find somewhere to sit and... This place sure got crowded fast, huh. Well this just got difficult. Okay, there's sea-never mind, it just got taken. And there's a seat there but that guy looks like an utter memester and I do not need that in my life right now. And... Huh. There's that guy from earlier. Might as well sit with him.

"Hey Steve. Ya saving these seats?" I drop my tray on the table and take a seat. I mean, he's probably not holding them for anyone, he's as new as I am. "Some food they got here, huh?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Eh. You're nice and I needed a place to sit. Seemed like a good idea at the-Oh, hey Chris. Funny how we keep running into each other." I give him a quick wave as he sits down. Really, this isn't that bad. Maybe Six Sisters isn't going to be that weird...

Why is a jester staring at us? Did... Does that jester recognize me? And also think I'm the antichrist instead of just a joke? Because that's... weird. That's really weird. And now her friends are coming over. That's great. That's just great.

"I'm new here too. I don't do that." I'm staring now, aren't I. That's good. I have reason to stare right now.

Please do not comment on the fact that Sam kind of did actually do that back when... you know.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Okay, so Viola's friends are only slightly less weird than her. That's okay. I'm just going to sit here and sip my milk and listen to what they have to say. After all, it's just a little conversation. I'll

OscarDiggs posted:

Persona-able

be

quote:

Persona

perfectly

quote:

Persona
fine

I slam my carton onto the table. Everything shakes, for a second.

"Okay. I get it. I know I'm 'that persona lady', you know I'm 'that persona lady', we can all stop beating around the bush about it." I scowl and hunch over in my chair. "I thought I could leave that reputation behind at Forrest, but I guess I was wrong."

(I'm not even going to touch on Viola going on about death. I mean, I know I'm weird, but I'm not marked by Death weird.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

This is a lot to take in. Most of this isn't news for me, but... now there's other people that know it too. That's big. That's bigger than I ever realized. And then there's all the talk about death. It's all so much, and I know so little about what's going on and no one really knows what's going on. And not knowing what's going on isn't what I do, y'know? But no one knows what's going on or where to find out, so... here I am. Guess I'm just going to be quiet and see what happens.

"Where were any of you three months ago?" Did that sound cool? I mumbled it, but maybe it was cool anyway? Whatever. That really doesn't matter right now.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"That was... kind of worrying." I suck my breath through my teeth. "We should probably follow him."

"Okay, fine. I'll go make sure Stefan doesn't jump off the roof or something. Feel free to tag along." I stand up and turn around. Time to...

"Oh. I'm Sam, by the way. We can talk more when we're not chasing a rogue prettyboy."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 4

Oh James. You're trying, but that's never going to work. She's a curious nerd, she's not going to just leave because someone asked. Trust me, I'm a curious nerd who would have totally followed us if I saw all this. I would know. No, someone's going to have to give her something else to pay attention to. Something someone who's enough of a nerd to make business cards for her hobby club would be interested in. Something that is up to me to do, because I don't think anyone else here has actually met her before just now. Great.

"Hey, Sabrina! Fancy meeting you here." I'm suddenly standing next to Sabrina, a smile plastered on my face. "Don't worry too much about those cards. This new RPG was doing a mail-in campaign, they sent everyone a tarot card as a promo. You can't really get them now, but hey, what are you going to do with a single tarot card anyway? Nothing, that's what." My hand's on her shoulder now, and I slowly turn her away from the rest of the gang. Just before we're fully faced away, I mouth "I got this" at James.

"Remind me to show you that game sometime, by the way. It's kind of like the next Sixth World set thematically, with the iconic spirits and the urban fantasy and all that. I think you'd like it. Or at least more than those new Aztech cards they've been previewing. I just don't get how Catalyst keeps missing the point of lifetap in a proper Aztech deck, y'know? It's..."

I'm trying to get Sabrina to turn around and pay attention to something besides all of us standing around and about to talk about persona stuff by distracting her with a bunch of nerd poo poo. UQ ruled that I'd roll with Clever if Sam actually knows about said nerd poo poo, thus here is my roll. Distracting Sabrina: 4dF+3 3

That's less than Sabrina's roll in response, which was resolved in Discord, and so after discussion I will succeed at a major cost. In this case, I'm going to take a moderate consequence due to anime hijinks that will happen in the next GM post, but I will successfully distract her from the Persona business I'm sure you all want to settle right now.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 4, Boost: Quick To Deny, Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

Thanks to All Part Of The Plan!, I get a boost. In this case, I'm taking Quick To Deny, because Sam is pretty much ready to deny literally anything anyone says about her right now.

Well. That was... something. That was definitely something. So. Things I learned. One, those Honey Bee folks weren't kidding about seeing cards. I didn't get the person talking, but at least I can verify half of it. Two, Sabrina looks nice without glasses, but that may be the head injury talking. Three, I am very hot right now. Maybe Honey Bee has underfloor heating or something. Whatever. I did what I was trying to do and Sabrina probably isn't going to share the pics, so I'm fine. I'm just going to get up and...

"Where did Stefan go?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"What? Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine?" Come on, I just tripped. It's not like I split my head open or anything. I just need to dust myself off and... Huh. Stefan just kind of popped back into existence. That's weird, even for me.

"I'm probably not doing anything after school, so... sure?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Wow. This guy is a piece of work. I wonder if he actually has a doctorate or just calls himself that? He seems like the type. Then again, if he was going to give himself a fake title he'd also give himself a better last name than Cleaver. Unless he wants to look like a serial killer? It'd explain why he hasn't cleaned off that blood. I wonder if he had to get these home movies approved by the faculty...
---
"You're attending Cleaver's extra credit class? Huh. I might join you, if you're going to get Stefan to wait for you anyway. It'll help me avoid-" don't mention that don't mention that don't mention that "It'll let me kill some time, if we're waiting anyway."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

One reason. I had one reason to go here instead of literally anywhere else. And that doesn't matter, because Sabrina came here anyway. That's great. That is just-

"Hey, Christie. Chris. Buddy. Let's talk." I slip behind him and put my hand on his shoulder, leaning in close so I'm (hopefully) not overheard. "It is entirely your fault that I'm here, you understand. That means that it will be entirely your fault if I have an incredibly awkward conversation." My fingernails dig into his shirt. "And trust me. I will blame you. Don't think I won't."

And then my hand's off and I'm stepping back and I'm back to vague smiles and not really caring. "Anyway, I'm going to grab a microscope. Have fun."

(I'm still not taking a seat close to Sabrina, though.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Doctor Cleaver is... Well, he's something. Maybe a mad scientist? He's the got the secret lab and mysterious stains for it. And the badly-explained past that could be made up entirely. But hey, if he's going to be some smug weirdo, that's no skin off my back. I just have him for one class and once this extra credit assignment's done I'm never going to have to see him more than that. All I need to do is keep staring through this microscope and...

Did... Did Christie just say what I think he said? Because I'm pretty sure he just...

Christie, you had one job. You had one single job and you hosed it up. And now I'm going to have to- No. Let's see how Sabrina reacts first. Then I can give him one shot. One single change to salvage this. Then we'll see if I have to bring this around, whether I want to or not. You better salvage this, Christie. For your sake.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 5, Boost: Quick To Deny, Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

Taking that compel.

I'm not going to say anything. I'm not going to say anything. I'm not going to-

"Hey! It's not that big a deal."

drat it. But I already started talking, so I guess all I can do now is lean around Christie and keep talking. You know, to be polite.

"You weren't in the way, it was just a private conversation and... Okay, that implies you were in the way but... Whatever. Just pretend I said something nice here." Do I look annoyed? Because I think I look annoyed. And am annoyed. Not at her, necessarily. Just, you know. In general.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

I art thou and thou art I and I do not have the time to think about the web of connections I'm weaving myself into right now so I won't.

Instead I'll focus on how I actually failed to shoo Sabrina off in the slightest and Christie is just talking about bugs for no good reason. This shouldn't be this hard, but I guess we're all a bunch of incompetents today. Which is fine for Christie, but me? A vague awkward feeling isn't enough to justify that sorry performance. But that's done with. I'm going to go out there and get this set straight now, before it gets any weirder.

"Okay. That's enough of that, Chris." I gently nudge Christie out of the way and try to put on my best serious-but-not-mad face. "So. Here's how it is. It's not that I, which is to say we because I'm speaking for everyone here, don't want you to come. It's just that I, which is still we, planned on this being a six person thing and adding a seventh to said plans is potentially the most awkward thing in the world. Alright? Alright."

And that was... Oh, good. Laurel's taking over. That's a weight off my chest.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Well, that was a mess. Enough of a mess that I haven't said anything since that conversation finished. Not that that matters now, anyway. That chat is resolved and I can focus on... whatever it is we're doing now.

"I'm not that worried about missing the train. What's the worst that could happen, we disappoint our parents more?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

So this is it. The Velvet Room. The one place that knows what's up with Stefan being marked by death. Also the one place that uses the nightlight I had when I was six as ambiance, but that's not important. What is important is that there's a strange old man that Stefan's being buddy buddy with that just offered to explain what's going on, and I'm going to get every drop of knowledge out of him I can. I can't help but smile as I step forward. "I"

Atropha posted:

. "Oh! I have a question." she pipes up when prompted. "Why is your nose so large?" she asks, leaning forward a little as if this was the most important thing in the world.

"Am going to get a drink. Don't wait up." I pivot in place and start walking to the bar. The bar with an illegally-employed bartender. I hope this isn't a sting. Not enough to not lean on the bar and wave this literal child over, but still.

"Hey, kid. What is it you do here? The stuff with shadow magic and dark hours, I mean. Not the incredibly shady nightclub shtick you got going here."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Well, his subconscious needs to stop giving bartending jobs to freshmen." I grab the juice and just listen to the rest of the explanations. It's all stuff that I wish someone explained to me three months ago, to be honest. I'd be almost tempted to make a website or something about all this if I didn't know that was the worst idea in the world already. Unless...

"Hey, I got a question. Is there a way to... prove any of this? I'm not saying I don't trust you. It's just that this stuff isn't exactly easy to explain to the layman, y'know?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

It's an answer. It's not an answer I like, but it's an answer. That's all you can ask for, when you're talking to tarot club owners and being chased by death-by-association. And now we're just talking about whether we should go upstairs and talk to Frankenstein, which is dumb because of course we should. I down the rest of my juice for unneeded confidence and very pointedly not look at the others.

"Oh, who cares. Let's all just go upstairs and talk to Vic together. He knows enough that we'd regret not talking to him."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Okay, Vic. You've impressed me. I came up here expecting Universal Pictures and you gave me Captain Harlock with a robot maid. And he's even giving us the best explanation he can for all this. It's not exactly calming to find out that the mysterious supergenius answering all our questions doesn't actually know how the Dark Hour works, but he knows more than I do and that's enough for me. And he's giving out presents too! This just gets better and better.

"So. When you say 'miniature computer', how miniature are we talking? Because the only other computer you have is, uh." I wave vaguely at the supercomputer dominating the room. "That."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"I'll just take this." I pluck the handheld COMP off the table and give it an enterprising heft. Seems solid enough. "Nothing against the goggles, of course. They just don't really work with glasses, y'know?" I take a seat at one of the tables and begin a closer examination of the COMP. It's a pretty good copy, I'll give it that much. If I wasn't attention, I'd think it was just modded. I reach for the power switch and... Wait. That is a horrible idea.

"So, anything I should know before I turn this on? Any UI issues or anything?"

"Oh, and I say we go to the tunnels. If we're going to have to go to some mystery spot, it might as well be one we're all equally far from."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Yep. That sure is a quarry. And it's one that's had some activity, so that'll make snooping around a bit harder. Still, it's a place to start.

"Hey, James. Your dad owns this place. You got any idea what somebody would be doing out here this late?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Of course I'm taking a flashlight. I haven't had a chance to recharge my phone all day, and I'm not about to deal with a dead phone in the dark. Besides, I can club someone with it if I really need to. Can't do that with a phone.

"Well, you heard the man. Guess you and me are checking out that light, Laurie." I gesture towards the tunnel with my (unlit) flashlight. "I mean, I'm definitely going to check it out, and you better follow me because I am not going to check this out alone. Alright? Alright, let's go." And so I begin walking down the path, as casual as can be. Is she following me? I'm sure she's following me. Why wouldn't she be following me?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Oh gently caress. Oh gently caress. This... This got serious quick. Doesn't look recent. Doesn't smell recent. But the lights are on, so either someone turned on the lights, saw this and didn't do anything about it, or this guy got killed recently enough to leave the lights on and he rotted way too fast. Or whatever killed him likes keeping the lights on. No matter what, it's not good. Whatever. It's a bad situation. I'm just going to try to figure something out and maybe not pace so hard I wear a groove into the floor.

"No no no. No moving the body. Not when it'll only make us look suspicious. Don't know about you, but I'm not about to go to jail for finding a corpse. No, no, we should just call the cops and get out of here. But we're trespassing right now, so... gently caress, maybe we should just leave an anonymous tip about the quarry. Or make James call, he's the only one with any connection to the quarry in the first place. Maybe he'll be able to talk his way out of it. Assuming we even get cell signal out here. And that whatever killed him doesn't hide the body as soon as we turn around. Or... I don't know."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"How should I know?!" This is bad. No, it was bad. This is worse. I've seen this movie, I've played this game, I know how this goes and I am not going to deal with a drat zombie apocalypse. I'm just going to take out my COMP and... wait, poo poo, what pocket did I put that in? No, no, it's... Okay, the zombie's still shambling, it's cool. And the comp's there, so here I go. Comp in one hand, flashlight raised in the other so I can crack it's skull open, I'm good. As long as it doesn't start sprinting. Let's hope I can use this thing one handed.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Comp's not hard to use. Good. And Laurel's shining a light at it. Not as good. Better than nothing, but it doesn't solve the problem. Which means...

"I guess it's up to me, then." I grimace and tighten my grip on the flashlight. This isn't hard. People pretend to do it all the time. And then... I'm off. My legs are pumping as I charge down the tunnel. I bring down the flashlight with as much force as I can muster and-

Something cracks. I try not to think about it.

Going to forcefully attack this zombie, now that it's been set up. Attacking Forcefully: 4dF+2 4

Spending one invoke to knock that up to 6 total, may spend the second free invoke too depending on how well the zombie rolls for defense.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"gently caress." That was... gently caress. I'm covered in that, aren't I? Some got on my glasses too... I slump against the tunnel wall. Cracking an actual human skull is more draining than you'd think. Haaaa...

"So... We should probably make sure the others didn't get eaten by zombies before we check out that glowing thing, huh?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Not sure why I didn't get up when the rest of the gang showed up. Maybe I don't want to talk about it. Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe both. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Maybe they just directly asked me a question so I should answer them.

"Oh. You know. Zombie nightmare. It came at us. I caved it's head in with a flashlight. The usual."

Still haven't wiped my face clean. I should. But I haven't.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Hey, if you want to follow the weird ghost, go... ahead..." And they're already following it. Great. Guess I have to stand up now. And this thing is... not actually leading us into a trap, so that's a nice surprise. At least Christie brought some binoculars, too. Maybe I should I take a loo-okay, actually I'll take a look once I get this junk off my glasses.

"So. While I clean up a bit, let's see if I got this straight." I slip my glasses off and start rubbing the lenses on my jacket before continuing. "So. We get told to check out this seemingly normal rock quarry. We come in, and it's literally crawling with undead. One of those undead dug a literal already-cut diamond out of the wall before he croaked. Now we've found some kind of weird bas relief carved into the end of this tunnel." I hold my glasses up to the light and... Yeah, that's good enough. I slip them back up.

"James, I'm starting to think your dad isn't actually running a quarry out here."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Chill, I was just making a point." Ugh. If James was going to get snippy, he could at least do me a favor and actually start something. Now everything's just awkward.and I'm even more tense than I was before and uggghh. And I can't even unwind after this because we have to-"Oh. Thanks for the binoculars." Because we have to stay around to check this place out during the Dark Hour. Hopefully this day'll be over soon.

"Hey, Stefan!" I lean back against the wall and give the far end of the room a half-hearted scan. "You see anything interesting?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

Oh no. Oh no no no, this is not good. This is getting really weird really fast. Dropping the binoculars (no it won't break when it hits the floor, it'll be fine), get the COMP out now, figure out what this thing is as soon as I can.

Let's try to discover some of this thing's aspects, with Quick because that's just the most accurate approach for what I'm doing. Quickly Scan: 4dF+1 0

Locking on? What do you mean locking on? Today has been too goddamn weird for me to wait for this thing to lock on. No, this is going to work, and it's going to work now.

Using that Quick To Deny boost I've been holding onto to add +2 to that roll, because I'm rushing this instead of waiting two seconds for it to lock on properly. Which is a bit of a stretch, but I need to use this boost at some point. End total for this roll: 2.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker
FP: 5 Moderate Consequence: Awkward Tension

That, uh, ended faster than I thought. Which is good, because those vines were weird and killing people, but also bad because I still don't actually understand what just happened. At least I got some scan info before it stopped doing... something... ohrightChristie'srightthere

"Oh, uh, it's... It's an Aztecatl. It's an Aztec superhuman warrior priest, apparently... Worships Mitch... Mitclantecuhtli, apparently... Oh, there's more info. Come on, hurry up..." Come on, if I tap faster this'll load faster...

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

"Well, Miclantecuhtli is... something. Does ritual cannibalism, which shouldn't come up... Hates wind and sun gods for leaving him with this job... Judges the dead and their deaths... Anyway, he seems pretty reasonable other than that so I guess we'll be fine? Other than you two, I guess." I look up from my COMP and... Okay I just said we'd probably be fine, but that doesn't mean I want to start poking the thing. And they're actually bringing the gem back, aren't they. And he's just going to do it himself even though he knows he's going to get stabbed over it. Great. Do I have to... Yes, yes I have to.

"Okay, hand it over. I'll carry the diamond over for you. Don't go splitting your head open just to poke a petrified superman."

Feel free to assume that I'm also carrying this over to Stefan without me actually posting that I am, by the way. I might anyway, but don't slow things down just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sam Whittaker

I shrug at Laurel's question. "Dunno. We can figure it out when we're not trespassing." I turn to the others and... keep turning, because I am not going to give those Jacks one minute of my time. If they want my attention, they shouldn't leave us in the lurch the moment things get dangerous. Now to move back over to the rest of the gang and keep talking.

"So, do you think Igor's place has a shower? Because I could really use a shower right now."

• Locked thread