Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Perth, Australia. All the awfulness of Australia but in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing. Every person in Perth was born, raised, and intends to die in Perth which means that, in any mixed company, I'd be the only person in the group without a 30 year history of friendship with everyone else. The city itself was reclaimed from the desert so when it wasn't over 40 degrees, it was under 5 and everything is covered in a film of dust and despair. It was also the epicenter of a mining boom which enriched mine owners and operators and drove up property values in the city selectively so you could either pay $2000 per month for a two bedroom unit within easy distance to the city or $500 to live in a crime-ridden, redneck poo poo hole in the desert and enjoy your 2 hour commute. Oh yeah, the size; Perth larger than Berlin and almost as large as London with a population of just under 2 million people so getting anywhere to anywhere is a full-day commitment. Luckily there's nothing worth doing or seeing, it's flat, empty, and lifeless. Perth has the distinction of being the "most remote city in the world" with the closest nearest city being over 2,000km away.

As the price of coal and iron continues to tank, I can imagine abject poverty will quickly follow. Good thing the reigning conservative government invested so much tax revenue into creating a local sustainable economy during the period of economic prosperity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I haven't lived in Iowa City but isn't it the rape capital of the US? I grew up in a middle class suburb of Chicago and at my HS, Iowa was your safety school when you want to go to a Big 10 university and are too dumb to get into the UofI/Wisky/Ann Arbor/Northwestern.

DeKalb, Il has to be on the list. I went to high school in neighboring Sycamore. The university had a spree killing, a girl raped/chopped up/burned behind where the new police station would eventually go and has section 8 projects interspersed with Greek Row. A remnant of the HUD vouchers that were distributed when the public housing towers in Chicago were demolished. Also, the university's incoming freshman class is 20 percent smaller than last year's. Every school in the state is loosing students, save for UofI and ISU (I Screwed Up).

Every city I lived in in Europe owns. Vienna and Munich are consistently ranked 1-2 for quality of living. I can't disagree with that. Like Studs Terkel once said, American cities are by and large indistinguishable and crap. I agree with an earlier post about so many great places in the US, just they are "out there", as in rural Utah/Arizona/New Mexico. I agree.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Surrey, B.C.

Lived there from 5yrs old until 31.

Lots of friends dead or in jail

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jonathan posted:

Surrey, B.C.

Lived there from 5yrs old until 31.

Lots of friends dead or in jail

I was gonna say Vancouver in general. Want to own property? Tough, tiny condos start at $300,000, crack shack houses at $1,500,000. Like sun? Tough, it rains 24/7 for eight months of the year and you can go months without seeing sunlight at all. Like riding a bike? Tough, your bike will be stolen out of your garage every year (every month if you lock it up in public) and cops will do nothing. Want to go somewhere? Tough, it can take 2.5 hours just to drive across town due to lack of highways. Want a good paying job? Tough, you're lucky if you get something in customer service, making lovely sci-fi tv shows for America, or getting paid 60% wages for the same tech work people do in Silicon Valley, despite higher living expenses. Want anyone to speak to? Tough, no one talks to each other and half of the population doesn't speak English.

But we have great sushi and pretty mountains.

krustysean
Dec 25, 2014

ethanol posted:

i knew that if i clicked on this thread it would be some california dickhead try living in syria you piece of poo poo try being a gay woman there and see what happens

I'd be a gay woman anywhere! I heard gays have sex, so i hope it's true

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Edgar posted:

I spent a year working in idaho. Geeze oh wheeze no paved roads and everyone lives in cabins. The moment I say I'm from Utah. The locals come out like some cargo cult. Demanding trinkets and beads. However Smitty's pancake house is great.

Also I spent the summer working in Boulder Utah. drat too many germans and frenchies. At the subway in Torrey, you can tell a french Canadian apart from a french national. French Canadians can order sandwiches like pros while the other frenchies take a hundred years to order. I lived on subway all summer.

Knew I'd see an idaho post on the first page. The winters are too cold, the summers are too hot, and it's full of Mormons. Boise is OK though. If you're in that area check out the Dutch Oven. They do badass sourdough pancakes there. Corner of Fairview and 10 mile drive, I think.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
When I was a little kid my family lived in a single-wide trailer with only a subfloor and blankets nailed/taped over the windows because the glass was missing. When my brother was born we didnt have room for him so his crib was just in the hallway.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Bismuth posted:

When I was a little kid my family lived in a single-wide trailer with only a subfloor and blankets nailed/taped over the windows because the glass was missing. When my brother was born we didnt have room for him so his crib was just in the hallway.
i'm bismuth's brother and can confirm this

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Avshalom posted:

i'm bismuth's brother and can confirm this

You have no idea how badly you just insulted yourself

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I lived in Huntington, WV for a few years.

The potholes were so bad that I lost the suspension and the muffler on my car.

When it rained even a little bit the aqueducts would flood and you'd have to divert your route to take another 15 minutes to your destination.

The deer overpopulation of the area was so bad that I almost wrecked my car like every three days.

It was still better than Maine.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Bismuth posted:

You have no idea how badly you just insulted yourself
i am a ghost

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
4 story medium-term sharehouse with 20 people, 4 showers and 4 toilet rooms

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
New York City.

My actual neighborhood (Bay Ridge) wasn't terrible, but it was the only place I could afford to live (in a tiny studio apartment that cost 1000 bucks a month). The commute to work was an hour each way when the subways cooperated and the R didn't decide to turn into a D all the sudden and drop me off in loving Chinatown. Or just stop for two hours in a tunnel. The train line I was on also turned into a pumpkin at 11, so if I was hanging out with people later than that, a 40-minute ride home became a two or three hour ride home.

Also it's crowded, expensive, smelly, and makes just existing a constant source of stress.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
half an hour outside of wichita, ks

never forget, never again

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

you are a drug addict criminal with no education. And you stink.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I lived in Dhaka, Bangladesh growing up. It's city of 8 million people and no pollution laws, noted for having the highest airborne lead content in the world. We bleached our vegetables because so much produce was treated with human waste. 3-inch flying cockroaches would divebomb your face and we had "hand spiders," which were as large as your hand and hideously aggressive. Lake Gulshan was so polluted it couldn't support life, a classmate of mine died of malaria, the city has had an obscene amount of terrorist attacks and it would take two hands to count the number of times my or my family's lives were threatened there.

The worst place I've lived is Greenville, South Carolina.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Serrath posted:

Perth, Australia. All the awfulness of Australia but in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing. Every person in Perth was born, raised, and intends to die in Perth which means that, in any mixed company, I'd be the only person in the group without a 30 year history of friendship with everyone else. The city itself was reclaimed from the desert so when it wasn't over 40 degrees, it was under 5 and everything is covered in a film of dust and despair. It was also the epicenter of a mining boom which enriched mine owners and operators and drove up property values in the city selectively so you could either pay $2000 per month for a two bedroom unit within easy distance to the city or $500 to live in a crime-ridden, redneck poo poo hole in the desert and enjoy your 2 hour commute. Oh yeah, the size; Perth larger than Berlin and almost as large as London with a population of just under 2 million people so getting anywhere to anywhere is a full-day commitment. Luckily there's nothing worth doing or seeing, it's flat, empty, and lifeless. Perth has the distinction of being the "most remote city in the world" with the closest nearest city being over 2,000km away.

As the price of coal and iron continues to tank, I can imagine abject poverty will quickly follow. Good thing the reigning conservative government invested so much tax revenue into creating a local sustainable economy during the period of economic prosperity!

I grew up in rockingham and have finally achieved the dream of moving to perth, fellow worstin australian goon.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Western Massachusetts is filled with assholes and there is zero culture to make up for it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bert Roberge posted:

I lived in Huntington, WV for a few years.

The potholes were so bad that I lost the suspension and the muffler on my car.

When it rained even a little bit the aqueducts would flood and you'd have to divert your route to take another 15 minutes to your destination.

The deer overpopulation of the area was so bad that I almost wrecked my car like every three days.

It was still better than Maine.

When I was a kid we lved near Portland Maine for a bit and it was super nice, same with Bar Harbor and Elsworth. But Bangor and Augusta were weird

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Northern NJ has these dumb old laws so nothing is open on a Sunday :mad: it's very inconvenient, I like doing my clothes shopping on The Lord's Day

There's one big strip mall here that's completely deserted on Sunday except for a Gamestop - I asked a guy there once and he said they just pay the fine every week and open anyway, they make the fine money back in like the first 10 minutes

Other than that north NJ is pretty cool :thumbsup:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Realtalk I went to college in the Lehigh Valley, PA. You can either stay in the big cities (Allentown or Bethlehem) which are poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry cities (Billy Joel wrote a song about Allentown I think?), or you can drive 20 minutes out through the poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry towns with fun names like Mechanicsburg and Orefield. Nice areas to drive around smoking pot with friends though!

Allentown itself is a pretty fun example of the economic cycle of a city. There is an extremely noticable poverty line (17th Street). On one side are crackhouses, pawn shops, dilapidated rowhouses, etc. and on the other side are big single-family homes with nice front lawns, and of course the colleges. A friend of mine got stabbed walking back to his dorm, on-campus, freshman year.

It's the only place I've ever seen an actual street sign that said "No Cruising" because of all the drug dealers

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Realtalk I went to college in the Lehigh Valley, PA. You can either stay in the big cities (Allentown or Bethlehem) which are poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry cities (Billy Joel wrote a song about Allentown I think?), or you can drive 20 minutes out through the poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry towns with fun names like Mechanicsburg and Orefield. Nice areas to drive around smoking pot with friends though!

Allentown itself is a pretty fun example of the economic cycle of a city. There is an extremely noticable poverty line (17th Street). On one side are crackhouses, pawn shops, dilapidated rowhouses, etc. and on the other side are big single-family homes with nice front lawns, and of course the colleges. A friend of mine got stabbed walking back to his dorm, on-campus, freshman year.

It's the only place I've ever seen an actual street sign that said "No Cruising" because of all the drug dealers

My wife wants to start going around the country to visit "Christmas towns" around the holidays. Basically beautiful or quaint towns that do it up around Christmas time. Anyway one of the ones on her list is Bethlehem, PA. I take it from your post that she is completely incorrect and must have heard this was a good place during some sort of fever dream?

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Waterbury, Ct is an unmitigated shithole. It has all the problems of a large city and none of the benefits. Consistently ranks among the worst, most depressing cities in the entire country. The entire place has been decaying for decades and absolutely no one gives a gently caress, least of all the police force and the politicians. We had a run of 3 or 4 mayors in a row serve prison time, with the last being a coke-fuelled pederast. I don't care to look up who's in charge of that dump these days, but he'll probably end up in the clink as well. Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford are crummy too but at least they have some cool stuff to do. Waterbury has nothing, it's pretty much a void.

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe

Booblord Zagats posted:

When I was a kid we lved near Portland Maine for a bit and it was super nice, same with Bar Harbor and Elsworth. But Bangor and Augusta were weird

I lived in a Vengaboys music video once

Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
Happiness is just around the corner
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
We'll be there for you

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Knew I'd see an idaho post on the first page. The winters are too cold, the summers are too hot, and it's full of Mormons. Boise is OK though. If you're in that area check out the Dutch Oven. They do badass sourdough pancakes there. Corner of Fairview and 10 mile drive, I think.

I loved Idaho because it wasn't California, Mississippi, Qatar, or Minnesota. Unless you live in Stanley those winters are mild. And if anyone is in Boise Gernika's is the place you're gonna wanna go.

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 11, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
On a positive note, southern Utah is probably the single prettiest place in the US. The people were really nice, they don't play the Mormon card too hard.

It's the opposite of Wyoming

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

sup fellow mule goon, have you seen our new sports logo which is also the universal logo for the college? it's loving poo poo and they never should have changed it, but our new president is ex-bain capital and has probably never missed an opportunity in his adult life to give money to rich pieces of poo poo in PR. but at least the student body isn't nearly universally white anymore!

at least now there's minor league hockey in the lovely area of Allentown, so if Newark is any indication the area just around the arena will improve while everything else stays the same. there's a reason why the college's administration actively discourages people from straying too far from campus

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Does spending a week in Lawton, OK count?

I'm sure anyone who's spent any amount of time in Lawton would say yes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My wife wants to start going around the country to visit "Christmas towns" around the holidays. Basically beautiful or quaint towns that do it up around Christmas time. Anyway one of the ones on her list is Bethlehem, PA. I take it from your post that she is completely incorrect and must have heard this was a good place during some sort of fever dream?
bethlehem is much better than allentown. you're still better off going to the one in connecticut, which is a quaint new england rural town

and yes i feel that binghamton is worse than allentown. it's safer because everyone is too depressed to harm anyone but themselves

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Laslow posted:

Holy poo poo Lawton. I deployed out of Fort Sill and that town...yeah.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Greenhead, FL, which is 10 minutes away from Vernon, FL. Both are equally terrible.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Maine gets exponentially worse the more north and east you go.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Portland Oregon is really bad. Sucks so much.

Everyone thinking of moving here shouldn't it's real terrible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Laslow posted:

Yes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Denison, Texas

the whole town. It's real segregated but there's a serious meth problem and the police are dirty, but it's not really segregated by income. 500k-1m houses next to 30k meth trailers. just out of sight down the road. everyone there is in a bad mood and entirely ready and willing to bring you into their problem.

anyway it's too close to oklahoma which is the main problem i think. A few miles in any direction except north and people go back to normal

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I lived in Reseda for a while, it was cool living in the same place tom petty sings about and like a block away from the apartments that the karate kid lived in but everything else about Reseda sucks balls there is nothing to do and no good bars and the freeways are all hella far away don't live in reseda

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe
I lived on a pig farm with stinging nettles and rent by the season cows on free graze lease. I threw a watermelon right at a 400lb sows head and it exploded :D

Lots of chickens, geese, and rabbits to take care of too. And burnt out cars to repair.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

utterlycorrupt posted:

Waterbury, Ct is an unmitigated shithole. It has all the problems of a large city and none of the benefits. Consistently ranks among the worst, most depressing cities in the entire country. The entire place has been decaying for decades and absolutely no one gives a gently caress, least of all the police force and the politicians. We had a run of 3 or 4 mayors in a row serve prison time, with the last being a coke-fuelled pederast. I don't care to look up who's in charge of that dump these days, but he'll probably end up in the clink as well. Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford are crummy too but at least they have some cool stuff to do. Waterbury has nothing, it's pretty much a void.

The mall there has signs about how not to get robbed. Place is a shitheap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The mall there has signs about how not to get robbed. Place is a shitheap.

People joke about NJ all the time but really it's Connecticut that is a complete garbage state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
ive lived in arguably boring places but none were bad . and ive lived in a loooooooot of places. try not to live in bad places

• Locked thread