Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Zogo posted:

I've seen fallout shelters under residential homes. You wouldn't believe how deep these things are buried.
These guys are going to be renting rooms during the apocalypse.

Has there ever been an A/T thread from a bomb shelter/panic room installer? I feel like that would be... interesting :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Has there ever been an A/T thread from a bomb shelter/panic room installer? I feel like that would be... interesting :tinfoil:

Probably not. When millionaires and billionaires have people in their houses doing work they frequently have them sign NDAs. These people are generally very paranoid.

Agean90 posted:

Assuming they don't burn to death or suffocate as the fires raging above drain all the o2.

:lol:

OK, they'll be dead if a nuclear bomb detonates right on top of their house (or relatively close) but that's not the assumption when people build these things out in the suburbs and rural areas.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Doesn't every building in Switzerland require them by law or something? What are they like?

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
There is a house on a regular suburban Belfast, N. Ireland street which has a government nuclear command place under it. It looks like any other terraced house in a medium income area, but under a trapdoor in the floor is a whole other dimension.
I was taken there by a guy I worked with - he makes sure the place stays operational if needed. Another guy is the caretaker, and lives there (rent free!) so that no-one thinks it odd to have an empty house, no cars moving around, etc.
It was 12/14 years ago, but I remember it went down 6 floors, all huge lead-lined doors, stank of damp but everything apparently worked. It was made to sleep 20 people - just bunk beds and a painted floor/walls, nothing fancy apart from all the comms gear, which actually looked fairly recent.
Workmate wouldn't show me everything as he wasn't allowed to, but I was awed by it.
Big generator room (generator ran from a huge underground kerosene tank in the back yard, also powered the heating), water filters the size of a car, and lots of locked doors!
Fun place to see, but kind of spooky knowing that there could be loads of these, all over the place, and you would never know!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I used to work with a guy that had buried shipping containers filled with guns and I assume other survival stuff on a property that he owned in Buttfuck Nowhere, Texas. Last I recall, he was having a discussion on the phone with the sheriff regarding how the sheriff could go gently caress himself if he wanted to come on the property and inspect any part of it.

I'm sure that ended well for him.

He was not, shall we say, a well person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ohnonotme posted:

There is a house on a regular suburban Belfast, N. Ireland street which has a government nuclear command place under it. It looks like any other terraced house in a medium income area, but under a trapdoor in the floor is a whole other dimension.
I was taken there by a guy I worked with - he makes sure the place stays operational if needed. Another guy is the caretaker, and lives there (rent free!) so that no-one thinks it odd to have an empty house, no cars moving around, etc.
It was 12/14 years ago, but I remember it went down 6 floors, all huge lead-lined doors, stank of damp but everything apparently worked. It was made to sleep 20 people - just bunk beds and a painted floor/walls, nothing fancy apart from all the comms gear, which actually looked fairly recent.
Workmate wouldn't show me everything as he wasn't allowed to, but I was awed by it.
Big generator room (generator ran from a huge underground kerosene tank in the back yard, also powered the heating), water filters the size of a car, and lots of locked doors!
Fun place to see, but kind of spooky knowing that there could be loads of these, all over the place, and you would never know!

There's one like this in Essex, UK. It's now a private museum and open to the public

http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/index.php

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Comstar posted:

Doesn't every building in Switzerland require them by law or something? What are they like?

Yes, but they're more like reinforced basements to protect people if any of the nuclear power plants go wobbly. I also got iodine tablets from the government when I moved here!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I live in an area that was destroyed by hurricane Katrina, and I got to live in the aftermath of that (we evacuated and returned the day after, because staying for a predicted big one is stupid). I have plenty of water, a small amount of canned food, and my piece of poo poo revolver. If it's a big enough storm to kill me, I'm not going to be here, and if it's just enough to cut me off from going to the grocery store, I'll easily survive on my minor preparations plus whatever I happen to have in the fridge.

If it's the collapse of civilization, that's what my gun and my neighbors' stocks are for.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ohnonotme posted:

Yea, the one I saw was a surprise. I was in a completely normal basement and then was shown a door and then a staircase that went really far down. It's intriguing to see stairs going down at least 40-50 feet underground.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm just lazy and never bothered to empty my camping gear from my last camping trip out from my car boot. Instant bug-out kit!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pixelante posted:

Stealing a couple ideas. The bright tarp is a good idea, so's tape or rope to use as a signal. There's always a scraper in my car because Canada. The worst case scenario that's plausible enough to prepare for, I think, is losing control in the mountains and getting stuck where I can't get back on the road and aren't visible. The cops patrol the route for exactly that, because it happens all the loving time, but mostly to people stupid enough to take that route on all-season tires. I only carry tools I know how to safely use, ditto with the contents of the first-aid kit. (It helped keep a stupid drunk biker from bleeding out before the ambulance arrived once. Lucky fucker went through all my gauze and I never got his name.) I think I also have duct tape back there, for no particular reason other than it being duct tape. The biggest one I forgot is extra windshield fluid--I'd put that pretty high on an essential list for winter. I don't carry a knife, except for the one in the multi-tool. I do carry EMT shears. I also have various lengths of bungee cords to help secure loads or rig the janky trunk latch. My summer kit fits in one milkcrate. The winter kit adds a second, plus the heap of outer-wear.

It's not the Highway of Tears, but I'd 100% rather bundle down in my car for a night than flag down a stranger at night to get a ride. If it were safe to approach the road, I'd try to flag someone during the day, but only ask them to report my location to the cops when they reach cell coverage.

This is the one I have, it was cheap for what it is.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I like to hike, was in the military and lived in tornado alley, so between all that I have enough gear and knowledge kickin' around. Important documents are mostly sitting in a fire safe, but I never added cash - probably should. My bank recently offered a free safety deposit box as part of some loyalty program, and while I like the idea of stashing duplicate or electronic copies of important things there, :effort:

I don't believe the apocalypse is come or anything like that, but if I woke up to Walking Dead I'd only need a minute to grab enough stuff to live until winter comes or the Saviors kill me. There's some good discussion about water filters and first aid kits in some of the megathreads out there - good stuff to know imo.

e. wife and kid probably wouldn't make it though, rip them.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 25, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Comstar posted:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I feel like there should be different terms for "basic first-aid kit, lighter, and a few MREs" bug-out bags versus "crates of 7,62 and jerry cans on my four-wheeler to ride out to my buried crates of jerky innawoods I spent years excitedplanning for" bug-out bags.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Lacedaemonius posted:

I feel like there should be different terms for "basic first-aid kit, lighter, and a few MREs" bug-out bags versus "crates of 7,62 and jerry cans on my four-wheeler to ride out to my buried crates of jerky innawoods I spent years excitedplanning for" bug-out bags.

One is a pile of stuff.

The other is a lifestyle. Or at least, a consuming hobby. One of my exes had parents who were really into learning old skills. They could hunt with bows, had a forge on their property, and could make yarn for weaving. Because they were a bit off the beaten trail they collected rain-water as a precaution against fire. Everyone up there has backup generators and wood-burning stoves. I don't think they believed the world was going to end, but if it did, they'd be off to a good start. The dad was probably one S.M. Sterling novel away from digging a bunker, though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Are there any good/reputable "dig your own bunker" guides?

What about sub-basements? I always thought it would be cool to have a tiny looking ranch with like 5 levels of sub-basements.

I've been reading through the Silo/Wool series by Hugh Howey, which got me thinking about underground bunkers

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Are there any good/reputable "dig your own bunker" guides?

That's not something you want to DIY unless you have a lot of experience in construction. Plus there are many different design considerations in a buried structure vs an exposed structure.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bunkers are like 100x more damp and claustrophobic than you think "oh an 8x8x8 bunker would be diggable in a week or two" and it'd be a claustrophobic hellhole. You need way more space underground than above if you lack natural light.

I have a backpack that i could camp for 3 days or get us to a city center with little problems; we also live in a motorhome so we're kind of prepped by default. Plenty of water, generator capacity and mobility. even a washing machine

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Everyone''s favourite nutter built one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKNajCgpEs

EDIT: It's not a very good build - too much expensive steel for what it is, but it is fun to watch

spog fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 26, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's not something you want to DIY unless you have a lot of experience in construction. Plus there are many different design considerations in a buried structure vs an exposed structure.

Obviously, was looking for more like premade kits. I haven't seen any sitting next to the pre-made dog houses and sheds at lowes though.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This thread requires archives, but please don't try to build your own bunker.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3050819&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Obviously, was looking for more like premade kits. I haven't seen any sitting next to the pre-made dog houses and sheds at lowes though.

Not exactly bunkers, but there are prefab tornado shelters that you can put in your garage or basement. Something like this:

https://www.groundzeroshelters.com/

I am not sure if they will just sell you one, or if they want to install it too.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ That site doesn't seem to have anything on it? http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/ seems pretty awesome though

From the site "There are over 100,000 round corrugated pipe shelters in America and not one reported catastrophic failure!"

:eyepop: that's a lot of bunkers

I guess they build even stronger shelters out of massive propane tanks, that's pretty cool

Edit: The ultimate safe posting station :tinfoil:

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 26, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A few years ago I did an Ask/Tell about Emergency Preparedness. Is there any way to find it? I imagine it's in archives by now. I did some brief searching but no luck.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panic, Anxiety Spark Rush to Build Luxury Bunkers for L.A.'s Superrich
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bunker-builders-anticipate-lucrative-trumpocalypse-932748

"Rising S Bunkers installed a 37-room, 9,000-square-foot complex in Napa Valley for an Academy Award-winning client that rang in at $10.28 million, with a bowling alley, sauna, jacuzzi, shooting range and an ultra-large home theater. Swimming pools, greenhouses, game rooms and gyms are other amenities offered.

This year, on another Napa Valley property, the company constructed a $9 million, 7,600-square-foot compound with horse stables and accommodations for 12, along with four escape tunnels leading to outlets on the estate, multiple hidden rooms — in case "you let someone in whom you do not fully trust...

"Power technology has improved tremendously thanks in part to Tesla and lithium-ion batteries that only degrade a maximum of 10 percent after 30 years," says Corbi. "And now there is food with a 25-year minimum shelf life. [The owners] could be the next Adam and Eve."'

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ugh. Who wants to survive an apocalypse? The day I run out of coffee and tampons, quick blow to the back of the skull, please. You can trade my corpse to the cannibals for the batteries you didn't pack because the gold ore made your bag too heavy.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I like how half the posts in any emergency/apocalypse/preparation thread half the posts mock preppers then immediately segue into how well prepared they are.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
U.S. foreign service officer here, my go-bag when I'm overseas varies slightly by country where I'm assigned (different needs in Istanbul versus Libya, for example), but there a few commonalities. I keep one full set of clothing and sturdy shoes by the bag at all time, and in the bag I've got several hundred in cash for each of dollars, euros, and local currency. Passports (tourist + diplomatic) stay in or near that bag, along with a set of phone chargers and backup battery supply for my personal + work phones. Multiple photocopies of major credit cards, passports, local diplomatic IDs, driver's licenses, and emergency contact info in country and back in the US. Flashlight, flares, K-bar knife, hand warmers, radio, GPS tracker if required where I'm serving, and basic first aid - bandages, painkiller, rehydration tablets, whatever. In Libya my go-bag stayed next to my PPE, for obvious reasons. In IST my husband and I each had a designated cat to grab and throw in our respective bags, since the biggest risk we were likely facing was an earthquake, and we knew where the rally points were around the city in the event of an evacuation of Americans on official status, though for some disasters/crises we'd be moved to the Consulate instead to work from there on the crisis. I have never had to use my go-bag (was out of the country on vacation when Benghazi went down) but having one ready to go is as key a part of my preparation for a new assignment as is learning my way around the city or figuring out how to yell "HELP ME, I'M YOUR FRIEND BUT MY ANKLE IS SPRAINED" in the local language.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
surprised you're able to take a knife, but if you can why not bring a swing army knife or multitool as well?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lacedaemonius posted:

surprised you're able to take a knife, but if you can why not bring a swing army knife or multitool as well?

Because it's a bug-the-gently caress-out bag and that's another pound to schlep across town on the off chance you need to undo a 3/8" bolt or cut a hangnail. That's a situation where you know your A and B points, and you know B is safe and well equipped, you won't need to gently caress with Phillips screws on the trek there. But you might need a shovel, hammer, door pry bar or large knife, all of which a Ka-Bar is. Gotta tune the bag. my stuff is vastly different, I do go heavier on the multiple use tools and gadgets, but my bags are much more combo oriented, and have about 80% of what you need for either most nominal bugouts or most 2-day camps.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 25, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I unironically recommend an ereader in a waterproof bag. Keep copies of any documentation on that, and load it with reference books. And some stuff to read when you have to wait, because you're going to wait.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Because it's a bug-the-gently caress-out bag and that's another pound to schlep across town on the off chance you need to undo a 3/8" bolt or cut a hangnail. That's a situation where you know your A and B points, and you know B is safe and well equipped, you won't need to gently caress with Phillips screws on the trek there. But you might need a shovel, hammer, door pry bar or large knife, all of which a Ka-Bar is. Gotta tune the bag. my stuff is vastly different, I do go heavier on the multiple use tools and gadgets, but my bags are much more combo oriented, and have about 80% of what you need for either most nominal bugouts or most 2-day camps.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of 'disaster' is. Personally, I'd rather have the ability to open a tin of beans and a decent Bordeaux, than pry open doors or dig holes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spog posted:

I suppose it depends on what your definition of 'disaster' is. Personally, I'd rather have the ability to open a tin of beans and a decent Bordeaux, than pry open doors or dig holes.

the_chavi's bag is specifically about a situation where they need to literally GTFO. It's not about disaster preparedness, it's about being prepared to leave as quickly as possible and head for a designated location as part of their job.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope
So I have a legit BOB. It's an internal frame backpack that can carry a lot, with lots of smaller external pockets. I put it together when we moved from our old house to an apartment while our new house was being built. The apartment complex we were moving into got flooded during Sandy and everyone had to leave, so I figured get a little ahead of the curve. It has a combination of camping stuff, like a small propane heater and water purification supplies and 4x 1liter hard bottles, then a bunch of protein bars and survival rations that could keep us alive for probably a week. I also have a first aid kit, some paracord, knives, cups, a couple of the US Army survival manuals, which are pretty great, a pair of socks and underwear for each person, 4 toothbrushes and toothpaste, a couple bars of soap, work gloves, 4 shrink wrapped ponchos, mylar blankets and firestarter supplies.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

the_chavi posted:

In IST my husband and I each had a designated cat to grab and throw in our respective bags,

Finding a cat in a disaster could be fun as the little buggers have an instinct to hide whenever anything bad happens.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Mine is more of a get-home-bag. I live in the country but work in a city of ~100,000 people so if poo poo gets nuts while I'm in town my goal is to make it back to the woods, even if it means on foot. I keep it in my trunk while at work.
Contents:
- hatchet
- sharpening puck for hatchet
- Sawyer water filter kit
- bar of soap
- one of those survivalist hipster shemaugs or w/e
- can of spam
- rope
- fire making poo poo (strike anywhere matches in a waterproof container, lighters)
- $5 in change and another small amount of paper money
- phone chargers
- ham radio
- two flashlights and one head lamp
- multitool (plus another I always have with me)
- fork
- beanie
- gloves
- extra socks
Most recent addition: four days worth of potassium iodide. Because politics.

I would like to add a handgun but I'm super lazy about getting my concealed carry license.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ditch the flashlights, headlamp much better.
Also, up the amount of money to $50.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I keep a suitcase full of mountain dew and cool ranch dorritos, I'm ready for the apocalypse

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Finding a cat in a disaster could be fun as the little buggers have an instinct to hide whenever anything bad happens.

Yeah we had a small apartment. God help us all if any poo poo goes down when we're in a bigger house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the_chavi's bag is specifically about a situation where they need to literally GTFO. It's not about disaster preparedness, it's about being prepared to leave as quickly as possible and head for a designated location as part of their job.

Yep, exactly. Moving to Ankara next summer for the same job, so my go-bag will be less earthquake-focused but still heavily document- and cash-focused. Also poo poo that I'll need for a kid. I should figure that out.

• Locked thread