Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
U.S. foreign service officer here, my go-bag when I'm overseas varies slightly by country where I'm assigned (different needs in Istanbul versus Libya, for example), but there a few commonalities. I keep one full set of clothing and sturdy shoes by the bag at all time, and in the bag I've got several hundred in cash for each of dollars, euros, and local currency. Passports (tourist + diplomatic) stay in or near that bag, along with a set of phone chargers and backup battery supply for my personal + work phones. Multiple photocopies of major credit cards, passports, local diplomatic IDs, driver's licenses, and emergency contact info in country and back in the US. Flashlight, flares, K-bar knife, hand warmers, radio, GPS tracker if required where I'm serving, and basic first aid - bandages, painkiller, rehydration tablets, whatever. In Libya my go-bag stayed next to my PPE, for obvious reasons. In IST my husband and I each had a designated cat to grab and throw in our respective bags, since the biggest risk we were likely facing was an earthquake, and we knew where the rally points were around the city in the event of an evacuation of Americans on official status, though for some disasters/crises we'd be moved to the Consulate instead to work from there on the crisis. I have never had to use my go-bag (was out of the country on vacation when Benghazi went down) but having one ready to go is as key a part of my preparation for a new assignment as is learning my way around the city or figuring out how to yell "HELP ME, I'M YOUR FRIEND BUT MY ANKLE IS SPRAINED" in the local language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Finding a cat in a disaster could be fun as the little buggers have an instinct to hide whenever anything bad happens.

Yeah we had a small apartment. God help us all if any poo poo goes down when we're in a bigger house.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the_chavi's bag is specifically about a situation where they need to literally GTFO. It's not about disaster preparedness, it's about being prepared to leave as quickly as possible and head for a designated location as part of their job.

Yep, exactly. Moving to Ankara next summer for the same job, so my go-bag will be less earthquake-focused but still heavily document- and cash-focused. Also poo poo that I'll need for a kid. I should figure that out.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Free Market Mambo posted:

And some stuff to read when you have to wait, because you're going to wait.

^^ this is brilliant. Evacuations of any sort are the definition of hurry up and wait and wait and wait.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
30 weeks right now? Arrives in January.

• Locked thread