Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its cheap because people think its a stewing meat but its actually great for cooking like a normal steak observe.

Its great as a normal steak, for tacos, basically anything that involves frying for colour and then a little time in the oven to finish off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Jose posted:

Its cheap because people think its a stewing meat but its actually great for cooking like a normal steak observe my panniculus.

A moo moo.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
That's a good lookin' steak. I think I might steak tonight.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
So how do you go about to butcher a skirt?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It's my favorite cut for steak, it's not cheap here though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

It's my favorite cut for steak, but you can't even find it in stores here

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Churrasco is p much the most well loved steak down here in latin america. Churrasco + chimichurri sauce = heaven

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

It needs a lot of processing, i.e. either mechanical (beating), physical (low and slow) or chemical (marinade) tenderizing, lest you end up with a tough and chewy steak.

That's why it's usually cheaper than say, a prime cut of ribeye.

Very tasty when done right tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you just need to slice it the right way and its fine

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

long labia = skirt steak

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
i don't eat thats why im not fat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

kazr posted:

long labia = skirt steak

I was hoping the thread was a euphemism for this yeah

disappointment

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i almost always order lengua over steak when its available, which is almost always because i only go to real taco/burrito joints and not chipotle. sure its kinda like french kissing a dead cow but man is it gooooood and that fattiness just absorbs the flavours around it like a sponge instead of dulling them down

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Can I talk about my t-bone here, I'm making a t-bone and eggs for dinner

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i find that cooking the steak ruins the flavor

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Nice.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Having a rib-eye

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Skirt steak has been getting expensive, it used to be like $4-5/lb and now it's like $8/lb everywhere except for like supermercados

It's still delicious though. Try hanger steak if your butcher has it ... even more flavorful imo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

It needs a lot of processing, i.e. either mechanical (beating), physical (low and slow) or chemical (marinade) tenderizing, lest you end up with a tough and chewy steak.

These are white myths

Just cut it across the grain when you eat it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Bananana posted:

That's why it's usually cheaper than say, a prime cut of ribeye.

Very tasty when done right tho
It needs to be cooked medium rare and sliced very thin across the grain with a razor sharp knife, when eaten this way it is the best steak.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

T-bone also very good

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been eating Flank Steak lately because it's cheap. You can eat it like steak or cut it up into strips, which is super easy thanks to the way the "grain" runs.

Sometimes I buy small roasts that are ~3" thick and cook them like steaks. They're bloody as hell and good.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

A good dinner imo

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Take that skirt and cover with cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and jalapeños and roll it tight. Put in a Ziploc with some citrus juice, usually lime or a mix with orange. Give it an hour you don't want the citrus to cook it. Grill or broil and chop for the best street taco meat ever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At first I read that as boil and almost punched my screen to try and punch you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

almost punched my screen to try and punch you
Okay but you should turn it on first

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Speaking of steaks, I cooked a t-bone on some hot wood coals this week at camp. I don't mean I put a grate over the fire either; I pushed aside some logs to expose some white-hot coals and put the steak directly on them for like 2.5 minutes a side. That fucker came out perfectly medium rare and crispy as gently caress on each side. We're talking steakhouse-quality cooked, with the awesome addition of fire pit smoke (make sure you're only burning cured firewood and not some pressure treated lumber poo poo though).

Next time you guys are going camping and know you're going to have a campfire going, try it. And don't explain to other people what you're doing either - just let the steak sit out and come up to room temp while seasoning it with some salt, pepper and olive oil (or melted butter if you want to gently caress some arteries up. Which you do) and then watch people's reaction as you casually plop that fucker in the fire on some coals.

Then watch their reactions after you've let it rest for a few minutes and they taste one of the best steaks they'll ever have.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 10, 2016

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
churrasco, yes

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
So, speaking of grilling meats...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tumble posted:

Speaking of steaks, I cooked a t-bone on some hot wood coals this week at camp. I don't mean I put a grate over the fire either; I pushed aside some logs to expose some white-hot coals and put the steak directly on them for like 2.5 minutes a side. That fucker came out perfectly medium rare and crispy as gently caress on each side. We're talking steakhouse-quality cooked, with the awesome addition of fire pit smoke (make sure you're only burning cured firewood and not some pressure treated lumber poo poo though).

Next time you guys are going camping and know you're going to have a campfire going, try it. And don't explain to other people what you're doing either - just let the steak sit out and come up to room temp while seasoning it with some salt, pepper and olive oil (or melted butter if you want to gently caress some arteries up. Which you do) and then watch people's reaction as you casually plop that fucker in the fire on some coals.

Then watch their reactions after you've let it rest for a few minutes and they taste one of the best steaks they'll ever have.

this sounds good. Normally i reach for my 900F cast iron sitting there on the burner

then i burn myself and yell, then reach for it again with an oven mitt

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Who the gently caress would burn pressure treated wood? A huge idiot?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Professor Shark posted:

Who the gently caress would burn pressure treated wood? A huge idiot?

Someone who doesn't want to eat their pressure treated wood raw, duh. Come on man, think.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Professor Shark posted:

I've been eating Flank Steak lately because it's cheap. You can eat it like steak or cut it up into strips, which is super easy thanks to the way the "grain" runs.

Sometimes I buy small roasts that are ~3" thick and cook them like steaks. They're bloody as hell and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfr8C60VgM&t=10s

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey I saw you quoted me and I clicked your link and saw a bunch of pothead poo poo that I watched without sound so that my family wouldn't think I was a weirdrone but I just thought I'd say I looooove flank steak, haha yeah!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Mariana Horchata posted:

i almost always order lengua over steak when its available, which is almost always because i only go to real taco/burrito joints and not chipotle. sure its kinda like french kissing a dead cow but man is it gooooood and that fattiness just absorbs the flavours around it like a sponge instead of dulling them down

Lengua tacos are where it's fuckin at.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

the culminator posted:

Churrasco is p much the most well loved steak down here in latin america. Churrasco + chimichurri sauce = heaven

Where are you from? Because churrascos are okay if we're talking day-to-day, just cooking on an iron, but bife de chorizo is much better, and lomo a la pimienta is amazing and you can easily cook it at home.

If we're talking asado, then flank steak (vacio) is my favourite, and then of course tira de asado, and like the OP says, skirt steak (entraņa) is very nice, but I'm used to it being a lot thinner and longer.

And of course eat it with fries.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I buy the cheap steak at my associated food store and cook it up on my george foreman. It's the best steak ever I think. I went to Ruth Chris's with the wife. That steak wasn't as good as my ranch steak or my chuck steak on the ol' georgie.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Edgar posted:

I buy the cheap steak at my associated food store and cook it up on my george foreman. It's the best steak ever I think. I went to Ruth Chris's with the wife. That steak wasn't as good as my ranch steak or my chuck steak on the ol' georgie.

I believe this. Ruths Chris is garbage.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Hanger, flank, and flap are all really good and similar to skirt. Hanger being the best. Petite tenderloin if you can find it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm lucky that Bumble Bee tuna is on sale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread