Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Is there really much or any outreach to the working class or especially to rural communities from leftist groups? I know there's a fair amount in larger cities, through unions, but my experience from living in the South for a while was that "Leftism" in the less urban US was that sort of pro-corporate democrat thing with some occasional concessions to environmentalism and expanded personal rights, and everything more lefty was the domain of university critical theory classes and punk rock house parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Regarde Aduck posted:

That's because your two party system consists of two right wing parties. One further right than the other. This has resulted in a skewed perception of left vs right politics compared to the rest of the world.

Global left = Welfare, public services, regulation, equality, generally higher taxes of the rich, historically pro-violent-revolution but modern leftism is generally anti-military, internationalism.
Global right = Low taxes all round (everyone likes this but it benefits the rich the most), corporate welfare (IE the government won't give its poor a penny but it will bail out companies), private services, less regulation, personal freedoms, pro-business, historically hawkish militarily, nationalism.

American "left" = LOL Laissez-faire capitalism can run everything!
American "right" = LOL Laissez-faire capitalism can run everything! Says mean things more often.

I don't disagree with your assertion that we have two generally right (or at least one centrist and one right wing party - the issues each one takes on changes like the wind, we don't really have political parties as much as political brand names with shifting ingredients) but I'd completely disagree with your descriptions of American Left and American Right, as silly as it is to try and correct hyperbole.

My point though, isn't about the nature of US mainstream politics but my general observation that the "extreme" left, as it exists in the USA, talks a good game from the college campus, but fails to even attempt engagement with anything outside of unionized labor. A college professor yelling how cool Kropotkin is from their twitter account isn't going to impress Joe from Montana who voted for fracking and pipelines because it might bring skilled labor jobs to his town.

• Locked thread