Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I no longer know my true self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I feel bad for the queen of Kanji Castle :(

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think you've finally nailed it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You say that, but I don't think the first introduction episode of an LP is a good indicator of whether it will work or not.

Perhaps we need to see a few alternate versions of episode 2 before we can decide.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

EagerSleeper posted:

I no longer know my true self.

LSD is a very deep and touching game and this reaction is normal.

Gloomy Rube posted:

I feel bad for the queen of Kanji Castle :(

It's one of the saddest parts of the LSD Lore, in my opinion. From the start, she was cursed by her own hubris. It's ironic, really.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think you've finally nailed it.

:)

Carbon dioxide posted:

You say that, but I don't think the first introduction episode of an LP is a good indicator of whether it will work or not.

Perhaps we need to see a few alternate versions of episode 2 before we can decide.

:(

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I don't like criticizing, but since watching that last video, I've had a constant feeling of being watched, including a shadowy figure standing in my bedroom doorway, motionless, every night, and most of my own video games have gone wildly off-script, featuring hyper-realistic blood, the Happy Mask Salesman from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and oddly convenient arrangements of the second-generation Pokemon, Unown. This is a fairly common encoding error, you may need a fresh upload.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

I don't like criticizing, but since watching that last video, I've had a constant feeling of being watched, including a shadowy figure standing in my bedroom doorway, motionless, every night, and most of my own video games have gone wildly off-script, featuring hyper-realistic blood, the Happy Mask Salesman from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and oddly convenient arrangements of the second-generation Pokemon, Unown. This is a fairly common encoding error, you may need a fresh upload.

That sounds like it might be on your end though. Have you tried restarting your computer, turning your monitor on, waking up, praising satan or lighting some incense?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

NewMars posted:

That sounds like it might be on your end though. Have you tried restarting your computer, turning your monitor on, waking up, praising satan or lighting some incense?

You're right, I got confused, the same day I'd purchased a copy of Blinx the Time Sweeper from a toothless old man at a yard sale in front of a house I'd never seen before that was gone the next day. It had supposedly belonged to a boy who was serial killed by a man who got a blood transfusion from Ted Bundy's hairdresser. I should have known something was up when I noticed that the iconic character of Blinx was replaced with Slender Man in the first level and the only music was Lavender Town from Pokemon, except played backwards. Well, long story short, I just had to call Microsoft and they traded me a clean disc, easy-peasy, turns out they're really interested in acquiring copies of games with those kinds of defects.

That said all the video captions were in Japanese, and I'm not good enough at kanji to read them, so maybe RSB could post a translation?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

EclecticTastes posted:

You're right, I got confused, the same day I'd purchased a copy of Blinx the Time Sweeper from a toothless old man at a yard sale in front of a house I'd never seen before that was gone the next day. It had supposedly belonged to a boy who was serial killed by a man who got a blood transfusion from Ted Bundy's hairdresser. I should have known something was up when I noticed that the iconic character of Blinx was replaced with Slender Man in the first level and the only music was Lavender Town from Pokemon, except played backwards. Well, long story short, I just had to call Microsoft and they traded me a clean disc, easy-peasy, turns out they're really interested in acquiring copies of games with those kinds of defects.

That said all the video captions were in Japanese, and I'm not good enough at kanji to read them, so maybe RSB could post a translation?

Of course, no problem. This is probably the most accurate translation of the script I could find:

Бог се драги на Србе разљути за њихова смртна сагрешења. Наши цари закон погазише, почеше се крвнички гонити, један другом вадит очи живе; забацише владу и државу, за правило лудост изабраше. Невјерне им слуге постадоше и царском се крвљу окупаше. Великаши, проклете им душе, на комате раздробише царство, српске силе грдно сатријеше; великаши, траг им се утро, распре сјеме посијаше грко, те с њим племе српско отроваше; великаши, грдне кукавице, постадоше рода издајице. О проклета косовска вечеро, куд та срећа да грдне главаре све потрова и траг им утрије; сам да Милош оста на сриједи са његова оба побратима, те би Србин данас Србом био! Бранковићу, погано кољено, тако ли се служи отачаству, тако ли се цијени поштење? О Милоше, ко ти не завиди? Ти си жертва благородног чувства, воинствени гениј свемогући, гром стравични те круне раздраба! Величаство витешке ти душе надмашује бесмртне подвиге дивне Спарте и великог Рима; сва витештва њина блистателна твоја горда мишца помрачује. Шта Леонид оће и Сцевола кад Обилић стане на поприште? Ова мишца једнијем ударом престол сруши а тартар уздрма. Паде Милош, чудо витезовах, жертвом на трон бича свијетскога. Гордо лежи велики војвода под кључевма крви благородне, ка малопред што гордо иђаше, страсном мишљу прсих надутијех, кроз дивјачне тмуше азијатске, гутајућ их ватреним очима; ка малопред што гордо иђаше к светом гробу бесмртног живота, презирући људско ништавило и плетење безумне скупштине. Бог се драги на Србе разљути: седмоглава изиде аждаја и сатрије Српство свеколико, клеветнике грдне и клевету. На развале царства јуначкога засја света Милошева правда, окруни се слава вјековјечно Милошева оба побратима и лијепе ките Југовићах. Српској капи свуд име погибе. Постадоше лафи ратарима, истурчи се плахи и лакоми - млијеко их српско разгубало! Што утече испод сабље турске, што на вјеру праву не похули, што се не хће у ланце везати, то се збјежа у ове планине да гинемо и крв проливамо, да јуначки аманет чувамо, дивно име и свету свободу. Све су наше главе изабране! Момци дивни, исто ка звијезде; што су досад ове горе дале, сви падали у крваве борбе, пали за чест, име и свободу. И наше су утирали сузе вјешти звуци дивнијех гусалах. Просте наше жертве свеколике кад је наша тврда постојбина силе турске несита гробница. Што је ово ево неко доба те су наше горе умучале, не разлежу ратнијем клицима? Почину ни рђа на оружје, остаде ни земља без главарах. Некршћу се форе усмрђеше... Уједно су овце и курјаци, здружио се Турчин с Црногорцем, оџа риче на равном Цетињу! Смрад ухвати лафа у кљусама, затрије се име црногорско, не остаде крста од три прста!

I know it's a bit inconvenient that it's in Serbian, but it's really impossible to translate it in English and maintain the spirit of the original. Both Serbian and Japanese have a lot in common, being very melodic and phonetic languages. But since Japanese is actually impossible to learn unless you are from Japan, it's much easier for everyone to learn Serbian if you want to understand this specific part of the game better (and trust me, it's worth it).

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
New Video: LSD Dream Emulator - Part 01 (8)

I had to scrap the WIP episode, because the render just kept getting messed up. Since I lost like 20 hours of work, I'm going for something less time consuming until I can fix the other video. I know post-commentary might seem like a mundane form, but hey, there's a reason it's used by all the top Let's Players. It's simple and effective.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, I never like having to do this, but there was an issue with the commentary. There wasn't any. No voice, no subtitles, nothing, just a still image of the Queen of Kanji for four-plus minutes. The LP Curse is loving ruthless this time around, you have my deepest sympathies, but I think you may need to go back to square one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I never like having to do this, but there was an issue with the commentary. There wasn't any. No voice, no subtitles, nothing, just a still image of the Queen of Kanji for four-plus minutes. The LP Curse is loving ruthless this time around, you have my deepest sympathies, but I think you may need to go back to square one.

Weird, I had the opposite problem, the commentary and video won't stop playing for me. Also, I seem to be stuck in these ruins now. I really don't want to just jump in the pit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Weird, I had the opposite problem, the commentary and video won't stop playing for me. Also, I seem to be stuck in these ruins now. I really don't want to just jump in the pit.

Well, be careful, you might be experiencing unrelated phenomena. I nearly flagged an old Chip Cheezum video when I blacked out after watching it, and came to three days later, thirty miles from home. Turned out I'd ventured too far into the woods on a hike a few weeks prior and attracted the attention of a dark and ancient evil, so I contacted my city councilman and he had the area bulldozed, took care of the problem right away. Boy, could you imagine how embarrassed I'd have been if I'd gone through with flagging Chip's video?

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I'm not saying that there is a problem with the latest one (version 8 looked fine but the audio portions were out of order, but the context worked out fine for me), but if you're still having troubles communicating points in the episodes you might want to try screen shots with recorded audio. It might help get across the points you that uploading with video sharing sites like Youtube might make hard to get across.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh my god, I swear Twitch's video hosting can't come soon enough. I am just so done with YouTube processing messing up my uploads. The local file is completely fine.

I am so sorry this keeps happening, everyone. I'm at my wits' end at this point.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
New Video: LSD Dream Emulator - Part 01 (9)

Hey all, after reading up on some suggestions from this thread and doing my own research, I've realized that the biggest issue with the Let's Play was the lack of emotion. LSD is a very emotional game and when it comes to emotional communication, studies show that 55% of it is non-verbal. That means that when you read my subtitles, you are only getting 7% of my emotions, and while I'm narrating, only 38%. This is probably why the story of LSD is not coming across as it should. So I have installed a camera in the corner of the video that will relay my non-verbal emotions fully, leading to 100% emotional communication.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: LSD Dream Emulator - State of the LP

Hey all.

I am going to be honest, and say that despite my best efforts, this Let's Play has been a mess. Especially the last attempt. After a month of work, I am unable to produce more than one episode. I am really sorry I disappointed everyone looking forward to this game being properly let's played. We have a solution detailed in the video above. I guess I'll see you all in November, after my pilgrimage ends. I will be updating the status of my journey to enlightenment on Twitter @MDKII, as it's the most popular social media platform among Japanese game developers. Wish me luck.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Good luck on the pilgrimage! Hopefully it'll help get this LP on track. It's a great game and it's a shame you haven't quite been able to show it off.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
FINAL UPDATE: LSD Dream Emulator - Part 01 (10)

Hello everyone. After my two week pilgrimage to Japan, I finally understood what this Let's Play was missing. The deep design of LSD stems from the philosophy of "Asobu", or "to play". It is the core upon which all great Japanese games are built upon, and why Western games often feel like they are "missing something" by comparison. That is why doing a Let's Play of LSD is so hard; we're not "Let's Playing"... I'm playing, you're watching. It's a "Let's Watching" and by losing the interactivity, LSD Dream Emulator just falls flat.

I have found the perfect way to rectify this, however. Here I present to you LSD: Dream Emulator - A Choose Your Own Adventure Let's Play. Now, with the interactivity deeply ingrained in the actual Let's Play, I believe there is no way anyone will misunderstand the beauty of this work. This is my Magnum Opus. This is the pinnacle of my Let's Play skills. The Let's Play is finally done. Please enjoy it.

Will you find all the endings?
Will you save the World of Dreams?
Will you uncover all the secrets of this Let's Play?

Let's Save Dreams

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That was incredible, and I, for one, thank you for putting all this work into a truly excellent, if brief, LP.

However, and you know I don't like doing this, mere hours after your upload, all of my nightmares became manifest and now threaten the entire world. Might be an unrelated issue, but just thought you should know. Not that it does anything to undermine that raw quality of this masterpiece, that's definitely the one worth keeping.

(But seriously, goddamn, this was a hell of a trip, and I'm glad to have been a part of the thread.)

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

EclecticTastes posted:

That was incredible, and I, for one, thank you for putting all this work into a truly excellent, if brief, LP.

Thank you!

EclecticTastes posted:

However, and you know I don't like doing this, mere hours after your upload, all of my nightmares became manifest and now threaten the entire world. Might be an unrelated issue, but just thought you should know. Not that it does anything to undermine that raw quality of this masterpiece, that's definitely the one worth keeping.

Your problem is similar to what the protagonist of LSD, Hiroko went through. As you remember from the original post, LSD is based on a dream journal spanning 10 years, which means it is based on true events. Her own nightmares spiraled out of control and threatened to destroy all imagination and progress of humanity as we know it. However, she realized that even if it takes years, even if there are failings, even if things seem hopeless, as long as you remember that the World is full of friends cheering for you, you can overcome any nightmare manifestation, any enemy that tries to use hate to justify noble goals. Do not give up, because remember, "If we refuse to fight evil when we can, it will challenge us when we can no longer fight back." I am sure we will overcome this nightmare, because Love Stops Damnation.

EclecticTastes posted:

(But seriously, goddamn, this was a hell of a trip, and I'm glad to have been a part of the thread.)

Thank you all for contributing to the thread. It made this weird experiment worth it.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is probably the most creative LP on the forums, drat. Good job!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yes thanks for the thread, this was very cool!

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

Each of you must approach him. If he snarls and growls, he considers you a chump.

poo poo, I think I got the bad ending... Could I have a do-over RSB?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
It's a real shame this LP hasn't got more attention, it's about the only one I've seen (or can imagine) that can really match the game.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Lacedaemonius posted:

It's a real shame this LP hasn't got more attention, it's about the only one I've seen (or can imagine) that can really match the game.

Thanks! I'm used to not getting much traction with my LPs, so it's fine. I'm glad that people who did watch it enjoyed it.

Now you can tell your non-forum friends to watch it too, because it's on the LP Archive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Hello everyone.

I was hoping 2017 would be a good year, but on the first night of the first day of the first month of this year, I dreamed that I got an angry e-mail criticizing me for not showcasing all LSD had to offer. It was a very disconcerting dream. According to Japanese lore and tradition, if I do not act upon requests in the first dream of the year, I am sentenced to 365 days of discomfort. Being a big believer of Japanese lore and tradition, I take these things seriously.

This is why, on Friday the 13th (January) at 11:59PM Local/5:50PM EST/10:59GMT I will be streaming some LSD: Dream Emulator to showcase things that this LP failed to deliver upon. You can watch it live here: https://www.twitch.tv/RealSovietBear

I will be answering any questions you may have pertaining the LP, LSD and general life advice in the chat.

• Locked thread