Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Before

"...and so, I hope that the Huginn is to your liking. If not, I'm sure you'll make it to your liking soon enough." The refurbished Remnant vessel is, at least, quite roomy. "I'll manage things from here on the asteroid." The Fourth Man's asteroid home is...spartan, to say the least, but well-concealed and with easy travel to most of the planets in Haven System. He prefers his privacy out here in the asteroids. "You and your counterparts on my other ship, the Muninn, will report back here on a semi-regular basis to share what you've learned. Your payments will be waiting after each successful mission."

The old Palantor turns towards a projection of a map. He is dressed well, if...awkwardly - sweater vest, nice slacks, a bow tie.

"I've been searching my memories...what I have, anyway...and any records I can find to give us leads on potential archaeological sites, both in and out of system. I have a number of leads, but...why don't you start with Mishpacha. The ruins of Beacon are already picked clean by its inhabitants, of course, but it should make for a good place to resupply as you need. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make a map or list of the local colonies there - so many form and die quickly. However, there's something...here."

He gestures, and the map focuses in on Mishpacha and its third continent, the stormy and chilly Orphan. One of its peninsulas is highlighted.

"Somewhere on this peninsula...I don't know much about it, but..." He falters for a moment. "...but I know it had something important. I remember...no. It escapes me. I did some research, however, and it does seem to be the potential site of an old Kaltoran city. Records suggest it was named Feather, but the last reference I can find to it is three hundred years old and fragmentary - some kind of archived reports of a celebration there. Most of it was written in ancient Kaltoran, though, so...honestly, I really don't know what it was about. In better news, I do at least have basic comms for you. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a reasonable price on normal comms, so you'll have to settle for infrared lasers. They'll function only in line of sight."

Now

Mishpacha is covered in rich greenery, both plant and fungal. Orphan is chillier than the other continents but no less lush. Finding a landing site on the peninsula was not easy, thanks to all the trees, but eventually, you did find one. The Huginn will manage well enough there for now. The problem is that after four centuries, the plants have overgrown all traces of Feather to an airborne eye. The birds let out sharp cries, and the plants rustle as animals go about their business, almost entirely unconcerned by your presence. The only sign of any kind of civilization at all are some stones piled up near one of the trees, clear of moss. There is no clear purpose to this small cairn, but it does not appear to be natural.

Finding Feather is going to be a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Evaluation

The Eye regards the jungle critically.

"Disorderly, but inherently predictable. Maintain line of sight. Not a good situation to split groups. Ayaan, watch our backs. Cairn speaks of recent activity by potential hostiles."

They touch the drone that hovers close at hand. "Salt, scan for signs of civilization. Profit, do you have any insight into your species that may assist?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Vera Nova

"Well, this is an.... opportunity!", Vera breaths from under her half-helm, bringing up her holographic interface. She walks up to the cairn as her array takes measurements and pictures, and then adds, "Well, I can begin gravitic disassembly here, see if there are any clues under this thing. Burying your dead under stones! How pastoral." She looks up and around. "Hm. This place isn't inhabited, is it?", she adds softly, as if coming under a vague realization. "Well, let's do a cross-reference on the structure, first."

Let's make a Culture roll to try and identify the cairn, and got a 11 (I forgot my Toolbox doesn't apply there).

pre:
Vera Nova, Avant-Garde Archaeologist

Race: Corp	Level: 1	Resources: 4/5	Influence: 4/5	Spare Time Points: 0
Fate: 1		Defence: 13	vs Impair: 15	vs Psionic: 14	vs Stealth: 15
Combat Order: 1	Armour: +1	vs Energy: +1	vs Slow: +2	at 0 End: +1
Endurance: 20	Recovery: 5	Languages: Corp

Str 2		Ref 3		Mov 2		Foc 1		Int 5		Per 5

Traits

Eureka!: Strong Hit: Eureka! (Failed Spare Time Roll) Gain a Research Unit in any field that you have 8
or less Research Units in.

Skills

Everyday	Professional	Personal Combat	Spaceship Combat

Awareness +1	Astronomy +1	Exotic +1	Command +1
Cultural +1	Planetoids +1	Tactical +2	Operations +2
Wealth +2	Psychology +1

Complications: Prejudice from Kaltorans.

Equipment

Technical Suit
Slots: 6	Weight: 0	Cost: 1
Notes: Counts as a Toolbox (+1) for all Trained Professional Skills.

Personalized Electro-Grav Gauntlet
Hit: +3		End Dmg: 3	Crit: 3	Rng: 2	Clips: 3	Ammo: 6	Load: 2	Wgt: 1
Notes: Gauntlet, Electro-Gravity, Blunt, Armour vs Slow +1, Hit -2 when used by others, No Variations.
Strong Hit: Float Target (Hit) Debuff Target: -1 Cover Step, reduce all Movement by 2 (minimum 0) and
Push moves Target 1 additional space until your next Turn.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 11, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Zhayna Profit

Zhayna pulls her jacket on a bit tighter and actually zips it up the front for once as she comes down Huginn's ramp. "Those are my ancestors you're calling quaint, Corp," she says testily to Vera. "Though I don't know why they picked somewhere so damned cold to live."

She adjusts her gun belt, making sure she can draw her pistol easily as she walks over to the cairn. "Don't order me around, Eye," she says over her shoulder as she squats down to examine it. The Kaltoran picks up one of the stones, turning it over in her hands, then looks up at the jungle around them, then closes her eyes. She's quiet a moment before shaking her head.

"I don't remember this place. But this city was before the war. It would have been... open. No bloody dome. If it survived until the Neph came, they'd have turned it into a charnel house." She pointedly does not look at Torvala. "So we'd be looking for craters, scars, mass graves. But if it was abandoned before then... I don't know what it would look like."

Awareness: 3d6+2 12

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

"Oh, is it really?", Vera says with perhaps a tone of too much cheer over to Zhayna. "Well, then, perhaps that 'genetic memory' I've heard so much about will come in handy, then."

She hasn't actually heard that much about it.

"Also, it was more of a inquiry than an order."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ea Rosa Star-Gazer

Ea paces around the landing site, taking in the surrounding area. The calm, the chill, the lushness and silence of a temperate forest. Has she been to Mishpacha before? Oh, perhaps. Anya reminds Ea that she was commissioned a year ago to make a map on stretch of forest in another continent, the one they called the Spur. But with the way the forests move over here, they're probably long out of date.

"Everyone seems so serious already, don't you think Mr. Ayaan?" She shrugs, looking at the feline monk. "The old man is paying us for an adventure. We should try to appreciate the place before we start trekking to who knows where. There's gonna be a lot of walking if the city is hidden under all this green."

And though she says all that, she's already trying to make sense of the cairn, looking around for markings or etchings on the rocks. It's obviously a marker for something, old-time settlers need such things against an unfavorable wilderness. Hopefully it's the first clue they need.

Survival: 3d6+1 10. Any bonuses for roleplaying? :P

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 12, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Evaluation

"When I give orders, you will know. This is a suggestion," says the Eye. "Cairns typically used to mark graves. If so, whose? Ours? Suspicion is not unjustified."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

"Put it that way, Eye, and no I won't ever know what you giving orders will sound like." Zhayna teases back, wiping her hands off on her trousers. "I don't think it's a warning. Warnings are a bit more in your face than this."

She turns and looks the ship over out of habit, then shrugs at Ea. "Never been much for wilderness. Especially not bloody freezing wilderness. Aren't you cold? The big furball there I'm sure is fine, but you and me don't have built in insulation."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ayaan

Ayaan's voice comes out in a deep baritone.

"It is good to be cautious. That said, I do not think we will be attacked here, not just yet; you need not be paranoid. This place would have been abandoned for centuries. It is possible Nephilim attackers stuck around and went feral, but after 300 years they would have gone to seek other hunting grounds, or they would still be in the city, where it is; they are unlikely to have put up this cairn. And please, simply Ayaan. I am but a humble servant of the All-Being; I am nobody's superior."

pre:
Remnant, Level 1

Strength:   3	Reflexes:     4	  Movement:     3
Focus:      4	Intelligence: 2	  Perception:   4

Fate:	    2	Resources:    0	  Influence:    3

Endurance: 25	Armor: 	      1	  Defense:     15
				   vs Impair   18
				   vs Psionic  21
				   vs Stealth  19

Primary Skills: Astronomy(+1)
		Awareness(+1)
		Medicine(+1)
		Psychology(+2)
		Physical(+1)
		Resolve(+1)
		All Others (-2)

Combat Skills:	Gunnery(+2)
		Operations(+1)
		Tactical(+1)
		Small Arms(+2)
		All Others (-2)

Trait/s:	Ambidextrous

Equipment:	Order of Hope Satchel (+1 Medicine, Toolbox, Weight 2, Cost 14t)
		Tactical Headset (Short range comms, all weapons gain Lock On +1, +1 Defense, Weight 0, Cost 14t)
		Order of Hope Scripture (+1 Resolve, Toolbox, Weight 2, Cost 14t)

Weapons:	Dual Ion SMGs (Hit -2, End Dmg 6, Crit 3, Range 3, Clips 5, Ammo RoFx3, Load 2, RoF 4, Weight 2, Gun, Cost 3)

Outfits:	Monk Robes (Armor 0, Slots 8, Weight 0, Cost 0)

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 28, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ea Rosa Star-Gazer

"The cold isn't a problem." Ea says to Zhayna, smiling. The Twi-Far's monk garb is a little heavy, but probably not heavy enough for anything chillier than the evening wind. "When you're born on a ship where the heating systems work only half the time, worries like that become secondary. As my Master once said," She raises a finger to emphasize. "'The Body is prey to the Void, so therefore steel your Mind.'"

"Anyway, you're right, Mr. Ayaan." She says. "I'm still used to addressing my elders properly, but we're equals in this adventure. I'll keep it in mind, next time."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torvala

Torvala looks around, feeling very out of place; there doesn't seem to be anything here that requires her skills. She seems a bit uncomfortable, but it's hard to tell if it's because she feels useless right now, or because of residual racial guilt.

"I don't mean to second guess anyone, but are we sure we're in the right area? I don't see anything nearby that would suggest there was a city here. I mean, I thought there'd be...the ruins of a foundation, or maybe streets. Something along those lines."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

"Opportunity lurks in uncharted stars.", Vera says, the slogan coming smoothly. "We have an assignment to see to, and our instructions. I don't see a need for concern. We've barely broken ground, here." She shrugs in her coat, smiling lightly. "Point of order, however: this cairn is by no means four hundred years old. That suggests a life and presence beyond that of our fallen city. But who, and how long did they remain?" A slight pause before she adds more excitedly, "Or... do they remain? That would be fascinating, wouldn't it? It would be quite the challenge!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

"I'll stick to a jacket," Zhayna says to Ea. "If your steel mind gets the shivers, I've got one I can lend you."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Evaluation

The others are continuing to let their guards down. Foolish decision. One the Eye will not be making.

"Scanning the area."

Cairn. Nothing moves or leaves such a thing without a trace. Cycle the optic implants through the vision modes.

Observe possible signs of life. Heat traces? Scent analysis? Nothing. Too long ago. Look for trace elements of humanoid life in nearby plant life. Separate footprints from other locomotive modes.

Isolate. Isolate. Isolate. Control. Identify.

Meanwhile, maintain secondary thought process- watch your back.

Awareness: 3d6+1 13
Effort Reroll: 1d6 6
Effort Reroll Part 2 Electric Boogaloo: 1d6 1
For a total of 14, before any Description bonuses.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vera examines the cairn, trying to identify its purpose. It looks primitive, but the general shape of the stacked stones is not reflective of the traditions of Dark Tribe Kaltorans, and feral Nephilim would have no real use for it. Rather, it resembles instead the battlefield markers left by Legion squads who do not have time to erect full graves. That would make it significantly younger than any city - the Legion didn't even exist four centuries ago. The earth near the cairn is disturbed, as if hastily moved. It must be recent - no more than a few weeks old.

Zhayna keeps an eye out for dangers. No waiting ambushes, but as she examines the area she spots a few marks on the trees around - slashed and broken branches in a few places, an impacted hole on another. A few shell casings hide in the underbrush. This was the site of a brief fight. No bodies left behind, except perhaps the one under the cairn. Not an old battle, either - this damage is pretty fresh. Ea joins her, helping her dig out a bullet from the marking on a tree. Unfortunately, the brush shows only meager signs of a trail left after the fight, but the two do manage to find the remains of a corpse after a few minutes search - well, part of one. In one of the trees is the remnant of a spine, no longer than an arm, with spurs for two protrusions on the back. Wings, possibly. There is no skull or evidence of other appendages. It could have been a rogue Nephilim warbeast of some kind - a few are known to have flying forms.

The Eye has better luck. His HUD adapts as more information is revealed. The markings isolated by the others allow him to identify a pattern. Several humanoids made their way to the clearing from the east. There was a battle here. Brief, but violent, against a number of non-humanoid foes. The humanoids won, and then headed south. Numbers cannot yet be estimated. The path they took south stands out to the Eye - it is faint, but there is evidence of damaged plantlife consistent with some of weapon marks left by the battle. They were skilled at wilderness survival and did not intend to leave a trail.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Evaluation

"There was a battle. Humanoid or similar against different bodily shapes. Humanoids won- likely left grave marker?- then grouped up and left. I have the trail-attempts to conceal were skilled but not thorough. We can proceed in that direction if desirable."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torvala

Torvala looks at the spines discovered by Zhayna and Ea. "Interesting; that seems to be an older Nephelim design; less elegant than myself admittedly but probably intended as an assault beast. May I?"

Without waiting for an answer, she pulls a scanner from her toolbelt and reaches past the others to examine the pieces stuck in the tree.

BioTech: 3d6+2 16; Strong Hit will reroll the 3: Strong Hit: 1d6 6 for a total of 19

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ea Rosa Star-Gazer

"Go for it." Ea says, stepping back from the bones. She can already imagine the creature would fit this sort of structure. Reminds her too much of the Oni to her liking.

"If they passed through these trees, I'll find the trail." She tells the Eye confidently, already checking out the route to the south. "I don't think these folks ever planned on throwing off a Twi-far when she wants something bad."

Survival: 3d6+1 16
Effort (reroll 3): 1d6 5
18, I guess!

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 9, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

"Even if they'd planned to, probably wouldn't have worked." Zhayna sticks her hands in her jacket pockets and follows behind Ea. She was going to help her with the tracking, but given the Twi-far's skill, she mostly just ends up watching Ea's back and holding her gear while she checks things.

Rolled an Assist, not that Ea needs it! Bumps the roll to 19 though.
Survival (Assisting): 3d6+1 12

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

"Legion battlefield markers... constructed out of local natural materials, done with efficiency and haste. Which means at least some members were here.", Vera reveals. "Question is: why? And why construct it with haste? Well, best to have caution, but hopefully whatever hostiles exist here were pre-eliminated. But they also presumed pursuit, too." She thinks on that, and then seems to shrug it off. "Well, let's find out what became of them. Discovery awaits!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ayaan

Ayaan, for his part, simply shrugs and readies both of his guns.

"Didn't I tell you? Feral Nephilim, most likely. As to why the haste, one who hurries does so get to somewhere, or to get from somewhere. Any hints on how to injure them, Torvala? I am unused to fighting them on the ground. Also, keep in mind - finding the results of this fight is less important then finding our lost city."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Evaluation

"I feel the two are related, Ayaan. What would otherwise draw a Legion unit to this empty space? Likely, they are on a similar task. We should intercept and suss out their intentions on this world."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Torvala examines the remains. To most, they would seem like nothing - useless. But the basic structure of the creature gives her all the hints she needs. These Nephilim bioforms are nonsapient - little more than an animal intellect, even before they went feral, capable only of obeying simple orders. Colloquially, they are wazps - flying creatures about the size of a Corp's torso. Flight capabilities required decreased mass, so most of their skeletal structure isn't bone, just hollow chitin, lost in death quickly. Brainmass is low for similar reasons. They travel in swarms - anywhere from five to fifty individuals depending on the size of the nest. They were designed to be fire-and-forget - a nesting' unit was launched as a warhead. The unit would embed itself in concrete or plastic surroundings and begin producing Wazps for as long as it had biomass to do so, primarily plant matter or small animals captured via pheromonal attraction.

An individual wazp is not a threat. They are capable of deadly stings and bites, of course, but individually they are extremely fragile. A squadron of wazps, however, is another story. A hive was capable of taking out an urban center in a matter of weeks if allowed to fester and not rooted out. The signs on this one are consistent with typical Legion sidearms. From the spinal patterning, it's a late-generation wazp, likely unleashed at the tail end of the war. It is almost certainly the body of a feral wazp. It almost certainly had no directives beyond defense of its nest territory. That does suggest the city is nearby, given wazpnest targeting locations. With so much plant matter around to feed on, the nest unit would still be producing wazps continuously as long as it was under its production caps. Legion mercenaries that deal with wazps tend to make it a point to find and burn out the nests, though. They enjoy hunting Nephilim they're allowed to kill with impunity.

Zhayna and Ea take the lead in tracking. The trail is faint, but once the Eye pointed out what to look for, Ea's own keen eye is ready to spot it. Ea's faren even puts in help, providing empathic pulses of simple satisfaction while closer on the trail. The group they track were careful but also clearly didn't actually expect anyone to be following them. Their trail has signs of more dead wazps on the way. The trail takes three hours to follow, but it must have taken the group longer - over a day, in fact. They had no idea where they were going. Zhayna helps find shortcuts to cut back onto their trail, which Ea tracks easily. Between them, you find the endpoint much faster than the actual team that made the trail did.

It's obvious why the city never showed up to orbital oversight. It wasn't underground - but it was recessed in the ground, in some kind of artificial canyon. The plants have wildly overgrown the city, and trees have pushed up through many of the buildings. Even now, though, the city is beautiful - designed according to an aesthetic that even Zhayna cannot clearly recall. It's almost Twi-Far in its dedication to both art and engineering. Still, the design resonates with Zhayna - her memories of old Kaltoran symbolism. It's very similar to a number of Kaltoran glyphs referring to various important stars. Hard to say where it came from originally, but it's some kind of stellar design.

Down below, in the canyon, there are a few figures in body armor, milling about. Their armor is a deep red, with symbols painted on the backs - downward-pointed triangles. They are mostly black, except for a blue shape at the tops

They seem to be searching for something.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Interception

"See," says the Eye, "related."

They back off a bit from the group. "If you wish to approach for conversation, do not indicate that I am present. I will support you from here."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

"It seemed like a guess.", Vera replies to Ayaan crisply in what passes for backtalk from her lips. "Though very much the educated, accurate guess! Good job!"

Taking up her holoscreen, she starts to bring up similar hits to the two-tone triangle through a database search, eliminating close resemblances manually. "No, no... not quote... no... let's ID them before we're forced to engage in local relations, at least-", she says, biting her lip in slight concentration as she rushes it a bit.

Got a Culture roll of 12 to identify the symbol, but a Strong Hit and Effort will shift it to 14.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

Zhayna peers down at them. "Paladin Consortium; they're into historical research. Guess it's not much of a surprise to see them here."

The Kaltoran frowns, glancing around like she's expecting something or someone to show up, but shakes it off. "Might be worth going down and talking to them. If nothing else it'd be a good distraction." She adjusts her gun belt and wipes off her jacket, clearly intending to take her own advice.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Interception

"Take Salt with you," says the Eye. "In case of trouble, it has some useful features that will enable me to help you retreat in one piece. Or at worst, in two, survivable pieces. Within a margin of error."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

Zhayna looks at the drone dubiously. "Yeah, sure. Just don't margin of error me in the back."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Eye
Interception

"The targeting laser built into its sensor cluster will help me to avoid that outcome. Try to point it at whoever looks like they're in charge- the included camera will be a great rewatch later for tactical postmortem."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ea Rosa Star-Gazer

Ea lets the others talk while she and Anya admire the fallen city. There's a certain beauty amidst the ruin, much like a ship that's ad-hoc replaced most of their working parts with bits and pieces from other worlds. It's a beautiful mess.

"I'll watch from here, I guess." She gauges the distance between her and the other interlopers. "If they turn gun-happy, Anya can turn them into space dust. If I aim her right."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 9, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vera's quick search returns some results. The logo is, of course, the Paladin Consortium. Zhayna is correct, in a way. They are into historical research.

Specifically, they are hunters of secrets. Similar to the team, but with significantly more financial backing.

Paladin is only three years old, and it consists of thirteen private companies of varying type. Thraxis Space Industries, Lensys Communications, Bio-Surge Dynamics, Argos Incorporated, Dragoon Ventures Unlimited, Hadrian Defence and Security Contractors, Milos and Murdock Exotic Imports, Damascus Metals and Mining, Xin Bing Genetics, the Thirst Family, Cambria Energy Solutions, Carapace Cybernetics and Infinite Explorations Incorporated. Mostly Corporate groups, but with some Legion and Nephilim interests...and, of course, one of the rare Kaltoran families to formally incorporate themselves. Despite the varied portfolios involved, Paladin seems to have only one goal: acquire the remains of ancient technology, study it and develop it. While they are legally above-board, as far as the archived copies of various Data Stream materials Vera currently has access to until she gets back to civilization are concerned, that's not necessarily meaningful.

Every Paladin operation is heavily guarded by armed security forces - or even Hadrian mercenaries. They don't especially like sharing, either. There's some chatter on archaeology boards about them being willing to negotiate sometimes, but there's always rumors about them. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell if posts stop because someone's vanished or because they're out on a dig and away from a Data Stream...or, for that matter, if planetary Data Streams haven't updated in a while because messages from other planets haven't been shipped in yet. And, of course, being out of Data Stream access currently doesn't help.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

"They sound like great folks," Zhayna says with even more sarcasm that usual. "If they kill me I'm haunting all of you," she adds as she makes her way down towards the Paladin group.

As she gets closer she waves her hand at the nearest one, putting on a clueless smile. "Hey! Hey you there! Thank goodness I found you, I had a problem with my ship, I could really use a hand!" Just some idiot Kaltoran scavenger who's busted rear end ship gave out on her at the wrong time. Nothing threatening here. No sir. Everyone just come over and gawp at the moron, right out in the open, where Zhayna can get a good count and everyone else can get a clear line of fire.

Conversation: 3d6+1 11
Any description bonus? ;)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

"Wait-", Vera starts, but her sentence shifts into a whisper of a sigh as Zhayna marches off. "Well. I hope we won't be engaging in a physics-based negotiation quite so soon."

Physics-based negotiation. It's always surprising how well the Corp can torture their own language.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ayaan

Ayaan for his part double checks his guns and gives a short prayer. A short, slightly pointed prayer.

"I thank the All-Being for their guidance, that my aim be true and my arms steady, and that my gun finds it's mark and ends the threat. I forgive my foes in death should it come, and pray that the All-Being finds and guides their souls to a more peaceful existance. I praise the All-Being for the strength They grant me even as I beg the All-Being to forgive this violence should it erupt and ask my skills not be needed. And may the All-Being save us all from such...primitive greed."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torvala

Comrade Gorbash posted:

"They sound like great folks," Zhayna says with even more sarcasm that usual. "If they kill me I'm haunting all of you," she adds as she makes her way down towards the Paladin group.

Torvala looks confused. "What? What did I do?"

She watches Zhayna approach the group and puts her hand on her pistol, but doesn't draw it. "Vera, I don't suppose you know how well this group traditionally deals with competition?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

Looking sidelong to Torvala, Vera replies, "Well, they're not terribly enamored of share-alike licenses regarding discovery data. There are unsubstantiated accounts of them converting today's competition into tomorrow's finds." That may have actually been a joke, but it's a bit hard to tell. In any case, on her faint holodisplay, she does tap the icon that looks like a clenched fist, and it winks out for a moment before her palm lights up for a moment, powering up. "But for now, I trust in Zhayna's survival instincts and confidence."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As Zhayna makes her way down, the armored troops stop their search. One holds a hand up, gesturing to a few of them. He turns towards Zhayna.

"Identify yourself, please, and any of your crewmates. You are on a private dig site." Two of the others come up to watch, perhaps to guard their commander. Unfortunately, that's only three. There's several more hanging back - hard to guess how many, with the shadows from the buildings and the fact that several are moving in and out of cover from the buldings. Still, after the hand motions, they're not paying a ton of attention to Zhayna or their commander.

"What sort of problems are you having, anyway? Why are you out here?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zhayna Profit

"It's just me and my sibs, having some trouble with a bad motivator. Didn't realize this was private anything." Zhayna keeps the grin up, coming closer. "You wouldn't happen to have a spare?"

Zhayna knows drat well he's not buying any of this, but she just wants to get to the right spot now, so she can take a shot at the leader and get to cover.

I'm figuring this isn't going to hold up much longer, so Zhayna was going to move into the "boring conversation anyway" phase of the plan. But I think I need to talk out how to play this out mechanically with Mors.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vera Nova

The Corp has to ask, activating her comm unit-

"Do they have documentation proving a legal claim to this site?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ea Rosa Star-Gazer

"...do you want Zhayna to get blasted on the spot?"