Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Cyron posted:

As someone who had a above ground pool in my childhood, heath is fighting for the greatest reward ever.

And apparently he won Rhyno too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
It coulda lasted til 11 if they did a 20 minute 9/11 tribute.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
AJ Styles is the 48th man to be the WWE Champion.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

That was a very very good show

to The point where I halfway regret not looking into tickets for the follow-up show here in Philly (but on the other hand it's Restaurant Week and I'm going to Amada with the misses)

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise330 posted:

It coulda lasted til 11 if they did a 20 minute 9/11 tribute.

I got one for ya

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Shinjobi posted:

It really did hurt the match.

If I have any serious complaint about Styles winning the belt, it would be the implication that John Cena is the kingmaker. By beating John Cena, Styles was elevated to the best of Smackdown. The feud with Dean felt like an afterthought.

you say that, but Styles didn't kick out of Dean's finisher and he resorted to cheating

it was a great result for not really hurting dean's credibility at all but still making AJ champ, as he should be at this point

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I did enjoy the show but it's like ingrained in my consciousness to not care about smackdown

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I did enjoy the show but it's like ingrained in my consciousness to not care about smackdown

your consciousness is wrong

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Yeah that show was better than I thought it'd be. I was thinking we'd get a dusty finish involving low blows, but instead we just got a good match that ended with a low blow.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shinjobi posted:

If I have any serious complaint about Styles winning the belt, it would be the implication that John Cena is the kingmaker. By beating John Cena, Styles was elevated to the best of Smackdown. The feud with Dean felt like an afterthought.

Well, Dean's character as Champion has kind of consistently been to not give a gently caress and be completely assured of his own superiority. What matters now I think is the follow-through. If Dean comes back looking for blood in response to the loss of his belt and things get really hot, it will make the feud more meaningful retroactively and move the spotlight off Cena's loss and onto Dean and AJ where it belongs.

If Dean goes for the immediate Free TV rematch and the story moves on to AJ as top dog and a long search for a worthy challenger which will probably end at TLC or RR, then yeah, its all about Cena as Kingmaker. Which would suck for Dean, but would open the door for a heel turn in response to the crowd's reaction to him.

Wait And See(tm)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I liked it!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That show was good. It was obvious the roster is spread super thin and they had to give every match lots of time as a result....but all the matches actually came off pretty well and didn't feel like they were being stretched. It actually felt brisk, if anything. There were some screwjob finishes, but they didn't feel like they came out of nowhere and the feel good title wins for Becky and Heath/Rhyno offset them. Glad I watched it. That said, I hope the SD roster beefs up much more before the next exclusive PPV.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That DICK! posted:

I liked it!

:)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
TNA asylum>Ambrose asylum

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Borrowed Ladder posted:

oh I'm definitely not going to start watching Smackdown or anything, that would be crazy

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

StarkRavingMad posted:

oh I'm definitely not going to start watching Smackdown or anything, that would be crazy

that is pretty stupid. "hey this show was great but i won't watch it becuase it now raw"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

StarkRavingMad posted:

this makes sense if you're also not watching raw, but I urge you to pick the shorter and better show if you are watching raw

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

solid ppv but that god drat styles clash has got to go. what a lame finish(ing) (maneuver).

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Is Smackdown better than Raw though? Maybe if raw was very bad I might switch shows, but I'll never watch both. They're asking for too much time from me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guys, Slater is the most over character in the WWE at the moment and just had a satisfying conclusion to his story. What is this world coming to?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Is Smackdown better than Raw though? Maybe if raw was very bad I might switch shows, but I'll never watch both. They're asking for too much time from me.

Smackdown is usually way better. The 2 hours helps a lot. Maybe we'll see when the cruisers come to raw though

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Smackdown has been the better show since week 2 of the brand split

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The only weeks Smackdown has been worse than Raw were the two where Raw had a new champion crowned.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

#getwoke

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I hope they bring all these cruiserweights to raw just to have them get squashed by braun and nia

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i fell asleep when during the kane/bray match is the rest worth watching

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Seams posted:

i fell asleep when during the kane/bray match is the rest worth watching

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Hot takes: Dean/AJ was a hell of a thing, one of the best WWE matches this year. Smackdown owns. I think the only really bad thing was Alexa going out way too early in the women's match, especially since she had some of the best offense in it. I never liked the Usos but I have to give credit where it's due, their turn has been done really well and they work a lot better in the ring as heels imo.

Also Bray Wyatt owns and I'm sad that he's never going to win anything, but at least Backlash didn't just make him look like poo poo. It really looked like he was going to beat Kane until he got RKO'd, and it's hard to be too pessimistic about where this is going, considering how good Smackdown has been.

AJ Styles is WWE world champion. Even just a year ago, how many people thought that would ever actually happen?

• Locked thread