Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE
What is cultural hegemony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js8E6C3ZnJ0

So, cultural hegemony can be understood to be the culmination of external influences that control what you believe, and therefore dictate your actions.
This is not an inherently negative thing, but its important to understand how a person's personal belief can be wielded by another.

We exist within a culturally hegemonic society in which the norms are established primarily by media and advertising,

And this overarching narrative of media and advertising culture has been named by Guy Debord as "The Spectacle"

http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/debord/1.htm

The spectacles we are encountering are more and more ludicrous pushing people further away from this false media reality.

Now, if we can disillusion ourselves from some of these narratives, and truly start to question our beliefs, we are left lacking

This lacking is the malaise I see so many people in, and it just feeds into ironic detachment.

But we can't keep detaching, as it just pushes us further from the truth.

If we really want to discover the truth, we need to engage socially through Socratic discourse,

This is a method of using constructive questions to make people examine there personal beliefs.

http://www.umich.edu/~elements/5e/probsolv/strategy/cthinking.htm

Recent Martin Shkreli took questions for 2 1/2 hrs. from "people who hated him live", and by asking questions of his listeners, he made them question there assumptions about him.

So truth can be discerned and people can be convinced with this method of socratic constructive discourse

But my question is: With the media failing as a prevailing spectacular narrative, how can we as individuals change our cultural hegemony and narratives to something that unites us in positive association ?

Memes perhaps try to function in this space, but memes alienate individuals further without any focus.

Please critique my thoughts, I am trying to discern some reality for myself.

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

quote:

“Irony and cynicism were just what the U.S. hypocrisy of the fifties and sixties called for. That’s what made the early postmodernists great artists. The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. The virtuous always triumph? Ward Cleaver is the prototypical fifties father? "Sure." Sarcasm, parody, absurdism and irony are great ways to strip off stuff’s mask and show the unpleasant reality behind it. The problem is that once the rules of art are debunked, and once the unpleasant realities the irony diagnoses are revealed and diagnosed, "then" what do we do? Irony’s useful for debunking illusions, but most of the illusion-debunking in the U.S. has now been done and redone. Once everybody knows that equality of opportunity is bunk and Mike Brady’s bunk and Just Say No is bunk, now what do we do? All we seem to want to do is keep ridiculing the stuff. Postmodern irony and cynicism’s become an end in itself, a measure of hip sophistication and literary savvy. Few artists dare to try to talk about ways of working toward redeeming what’s wrong, because they’ll look sentimental and naive to all the weary ironists. Irony’s gone from liberating to enslaving. There’s some great essay somewhere that has a line about irony being the song of the prisoner who’s come to love his cage.”

-David Foster Wallace

How do we engage with people authentically to build a positive cultural hegemony that engages with the problems we face globally?

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 12, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Only through our participation in ideological fads like feminist cultural critique, outrage culture or the alt right can we hope as individuals to impact the largest forces in the western cultural fabric.

Living within those constructs and melding your personal values around them without conflicting with the ideological framework seems to be the most accessible path for people.

It seems to be the most common path toward getting what the op mentions which sorta sounds like trying to make an attempt to manipulate the moral continuum for the sake of vanity or some poo poo.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The phrase "outrage culture" is an excellent example of advanced irony poisoning.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

The phrase "outrage culture" is an excellent example of advanced irony poisoning.

Denial of its existence is great loyalty to the ideology.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Sethex posted:

Only through our participation in ideological fads like feminist cultural critique, outrage culture or the alt right can we hope as individuals to impact the largest forces in the western cultural fabric.

Living within those constructs and melding your personal values around them without conflicting with the ideological framework you've chosen seems to be a common path toward getting what the op mentions which sorta sounds like trying to make an attempt to manipulate the moral continuum for the sake of vanity or some poo poo.

I appreciate the fact that you are calling into question the assumption I am making about us needing to find a new culture that unifies.

Do you think that we don't need to have a more unified society (locally? nationally? globally?) Or is this an unattainable goal?

How can we deal with the problems we have nationally and internationally without having a framework from which to solve them?

Does this framework of change need to be from America, or should we start looking towards a multipolar solution to our worlds problems with the BRICS nations leading this change?

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

Denial of its existence is great loyalty to the ideology.

Thank you for demonstrating that for the irony-poisoned in such a final stage before total collapse of the soul, authenticity is found in a position of phony asceticism- you express contempt for everything but do not actually reject it, and you conclude that anything which is not in accordance with this pose is a lie, ultimately derived for some malicious end.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is a pretty vague thing to say, maybe try again without the attempt at sounding brainy?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Toothy McBeard posted:

I appreciate the fact that you are calling into question the assumption I am making about us needing to find a new culture that unifies.

Do you think that we don't need to have a more unified society (locally? nationally? globally?) Or is this an unattainable goal?

The initial part reminds me of the whole 'workers of the world unite the only thing you have to lose are your chains'

An sure I am sympathetic to that end but I think the cause in most ways requires a submission to individualistic and materialist values or a conformity toward the western cultural model in a way I don't think a lot of the left, the religious right, or the traditionalist orientals (among others) is going to be receptive to.

Toothy McBeard posted:

How can we deal with the problems we have nationally and internationally without having a framework from which to solve them?

Does this framework of change need to be from America, or should we start looking towards a multipolar solution to our worlds problems with the BRICS nations leading this change?

I don't hold a lot of hope for America. Tbh I sorta think an expansion in technology over some vague cultural evolution enveloping the world will hold more promise in delivering justice, abundance and egalitarianism or a polar opposite circumstance; so for me directing effort at that dichotomy is more likely to yield the most utility toward your personal values.

Ever increasing innovation is more certain than an unprecedented cultural shift imo *shrug*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Work hard to spread good memes and stifle bad ones. Also, become a cyborg ninja.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I don't hold a lot of hope for America. Tbh I sorta think an expansion in technology over some vague cultural evolution enveloping the world will hold more promise in delivering justice, abundance and egalitarianism or a polar opposite circumstance; so for me directing effort at that dichotomy is more likely to yield the most utility toward your personal values.

Ever increasing innovation is more certain than an unprecedented cultural shift imo *shrug*

Ah, the First Church of God-Robot. Nanotech be upon you, netizen!

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Sethex posted:

That is a pretty vague thing to say, maybe try again without the attempt at sounding brainy?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound brainy.

I know I have been vague, and maybe I am trying to justify that vagueness to myself by using it is to build (in vanity) a personal narrative to justify a more global-social order.

but that doesn't help us get closer to an answer perhaps.

Okay, so lets break it down then.

I believe that our society is very fractured right now.
I also believe that in this fractured society we have an opportunity to build something better.
Something better would be defined as a global-society that is willing and engaged to deal global challenges.
Namely the global challenge of climate change.

I see the problem of dealing with this issue being one of national sovereignty.
The only way to deal with what we are facing is to force actors (nations, companies ect.) to comply.
but national sovereignty is so embedded in our cultural hegemony, we need to shatter our confidence in it first.

You cannot get masses of people to buy into something without first building a narrative around the existing system, that calls it into question.

This didn't help did it.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Sethex posted:

Thats a great point!

I have the question, can innovation exist separately from a cultural shift?

Or are we relying on innovation to change the culture with it?

Can we influence how innovation is able to effect our societies?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Prevent dangerous cultural elements (e.g. whites) from reproducing.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 12, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Stop entertaining grandiose delusions about what you're actually capable of and find some achievable objectives you can work toward.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Helsing posted:

Stop entertaining grandiose delusions about what you're actually capable of and find some achievable objectives you can work toward.

That is a fair statement.

I am not capable by myself, but maybe through discourse we can uncover some of those achievable objectives.

Those achievable objectives are really what I am trying to find out though.

Can an individual actor have real influence on the public narrative in a meaningful way through these achievable objectives?

Or is this just an intellectual dead end, with no real reason to talk about it.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Helsing posted:

Truth.

We've reached a point in which so much more is possible but individual s are stifled by decision making.

Also I like this thread. Toothy is committed to a Socratic dialogue. Let's try and not poo poo it up too much.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

BlueBlazer posted:

Truth.

We've reached a point in which so much more is possible but individual s are stifled by decision making.

So with this premise if we had less possibilities we would have greater social action?

Do you think that in order for cohesive social-action to be undertaken , the obstacle we must overcome then is too many cultural narratives and symbols competing for an individuals buy in?

Can people be stripped of false narratives?

I would say that, one possible example of a narrative being stripped would be currency collapse.
Do you think something like that could restrict the possibilities of the individual and convince them to buy into a different cultural hegemony?

I used the word force before, but I think that neglects the individuals actors choice of what narratives they buy into.

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 12, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

I wanna gangbang that strawman with techno dicks

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Brainiac Five posted:

I like this comment, because it highlights one of the ways in which a belief in technological savior can be tied to a formal social structure.

Can we find cultural-social redemption through a codified shared belief in a higher power, be it technological, philosophical, or spiritual?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't calling your original post brainy or whatever, my "brainy" comment was directed at Brainiac 5 getting triggered at the mention of 'outrage culture' as a personal attack then spouting some needlessly verbose attempt at an insult.

Toothy McBeard posted:

Thats a great point!

I have the question, can innovation exist separately from a cultural shift?

Or are we relying on innovation to change the culture with it?

Can we influence how innovation is able to effect our societies?

No one who answers these questions with any degree of confidence is telling the truth. Basically the only substance that cam be extracted is conjecture and speculation.

So for me culture can develop outside of innovation, I base this on the assumption that culture developed in the past during a time when innovation was relatively stagnant.

And innovation can be tapered by culture as we see in the Christian groups that reject technology or the government's that reject human cloning.

That said technology has expanded the ability for grand narratives to spread which is a mixed blessing and to me the outcomes will be unpredictable.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 13, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I wasn't calling your original post brainy or whatever, my "brainy" comment was directed at Brainiac 5 getting triggered at the mention of 'outrage culture' as a personal attack then spouting some needlessly verbose attempt at an insult.

No one who answers these questions with any degree of confidence is telling the truth. Basically the only substance that cam be extracted is conjecture and speculation.

Can we change the way innovation changes things? Sure, legalistic or cultural efforts can restrict technology or hinder adoption, but it would be unprecedented

So for me culture can develop outside of innovation, I base this on the assumption that culture developed in the past during a time when innovation was relatively stagnant.

And innovation can be tapered by culture as we see in the Christian groups that reject technology or the government's that reject human cloning.

That said technology has expanded the ability for grand narratives to spread which is a mixed blessing and to me the outcomes will be unpredictable.

This post was already some epic loving technofetishism (in both senses) but then you added "triggered" to it, pushing it to new heights of insipidity.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

This post was already some epic loving technofetishism (in both senses) but then you added "triggered" to it, pushing it to new heights of insipidity.

I don't really know how or why my prev post means I worship technology, is it the expectation that innovation will continue long into the foreseeable future?

Its pretty clear that mentioning 'outrage culture' has outraged you; motivating you to write a bunch of barbed posts.

This is all fine an to be expected by people who make ideology their personal identity, but your writing style is sorta cliche.

It comes off trying to sound smart mixed with an effort filled departure from vocal english in a way that just comes off as annoying.

I'm sorry that what I said easily offended you.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I don't really know how or why my prev post means I worship technology, is it the expectation that innovation will continue long into the foreseeable future?

Its pretty clear that mentioning 'outrage culture' has outraged you; motivating you to write a bunch of barbed posts.

This is all fine an to be expected by people who make ideology their personal identity, but your writing style is sorta cliche.

It comes off trying to sound smart mixed with an effort filled departure from vocal english in a way that just comes off as annoying.

I'm sorry that what I said easily offended you.

You're pretty bad at lying.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Toothy McBeard posted:

That is a fair statement.

I am not capable by myself, but maybe through discourse we can uncover some of those achievable objectives.

Those achievable objectives are really what I am trying to find out though.

Can an individual actor have real influence on the public narrative in a meaningful way through these achievable objectives?

Or is this just an intellectual dead end, with no real reason to talk about it.

I don't think you're going to identify any achievable objectives when your starting point is an extremely vague and sweeping denunciation of "irony". You're describing a nebulous and complicated cultural trend driven by decades (if not centuries) of technological and social change. These are fun conversations to have in undergrad while you're getting high after your media studies class but I don't think they are an effective basis for actually changing the world.

Generally speaking the ways an individual becomes influential is by dedicating years or decades of their life to helping some movement, cause or group(s), and typically these causes have more targeted and specific objectives than overcoming an internet culture of irony. If your model of change is a two hour livechat by Martin Shkreli then I don't think you're going to accomplish much. So when you ask this:

quote:

But my question is: With the media failing as a prevailing spectacular narrative, how can we as individuals change our cultural hegemony and narratives to something that unites us in positive association ?

The answer is that as individuals we can't do anything. You're setting a grandiose objective you have no hope of accomplishing when there are actually plenty of decent causes that would benefit from some enthusiastic help.

That isn't to say it's a bad idea to read Guy Debord or think about the role of the media and internet in shaping peoples perspectives, but you need to purge yourself of this, quite frankly, teenage sensibility that you're going to use "socratic dialogue" to over come the culture of irony. I mean, come on man, step back and actually think about how silly that sounds.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Brainiac Five posted:

Thank you for demonstrating that for the irony-poisoned in such a final stage before total collapse of the soul, authenticity is found in a position of phony asceticism- you express contempt for everything but do not actually reject it, and you conclude that anything which is not in accordance with this pose is a lie, ultimately derived for some malicious end.

i love your music father john misty

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

Helsing posted:

I don't think you're going to identify any achievable objectives when your starting point is an extremely vague and sweeping denunciation of "irony". You're describing a nebulous and complicated cultural trend driven by decades (if not centuries) of technological and social change. These are fun conversations to have in undergrad while you're getting high after your media studies class but I don't think they are an effective basis for actually changing the world.

Generally speaking the ways an individual becomes influential is by dedicating years or decades of their life to helping some movement, cause or group(s), and typically these causes have more targeted and specific objectives than overcoming an internet culture of irony. If your model of change is a two hour livechat by Martin Shkreli then I don't think you're going to accomplish much. So when you ask this:

The answer is that as individuals we can't do anything. You're setting a grandiose objective you have no hope of accomplishing when there are actually plenty of decent causes that would benefit from some enthusiastic help.

That isn't to say it's a bad idea to read Guy Debord or think about the role of the media and internet in shaping peoples perspectives, but you need to purge yourself of this, quite frankly, teenage sensibility that you're going to use "socratic dialogue" to over come the culture of irony. I mean, come on man, step back and actually think about how silly that sounds.

You are missing the entire point.

This isn't about me pointing out your ad hominem attacks.

This isn't about giving reasons why we shouldn't be having this conversation.

Instead lets talk about the one potentially useful part of what you said,

The concept of acting on a personal level towards decent causes.

You are suggesting that the best way for an individual actor to most influence our current social realities is through helping a good cause?

Or are you saying that there is no way for an individual to influence the world on a real level under there own will and as such they should not try?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toothy McBeard posted:

I mean I'd say that no we don't necessarily. Difference of ideas is not really a problem I don't think in a great many ways, consensus is required only to facilitate needful changes, but so much of society concerns things that aren't especially important one way or another, or at least they pale in importance to things which, traditionally, we have a deep lack of unity on.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'd say that no we don't necessarily. Difference of ideas is not really a problem I don't think in a great many ways, consensus is required only to facilitate needful changes, but so much of society concerns things that aren't especially important one way or another, or at least they pale in importance to things which, traditionally, we have a deep lack of unity on.

This is a good point.

So, is it fair to say our global social differences cannot be overcome fully by technology? (after re-reading this question has no bearing on your quote)

Are you proposing that the if you appealed to the crux of the individuals social concern, and by finding out what is most important across all (many?) cultures, one can have a greater ability to frame a new socially-and globally- positive cultural hegemony?

Thereby building cohesive beliefs that can be shared on one level of global hegemony?

Hegemony operates on so many levels, and individuals can hold multiple hegemonic ideas of how reality should function at once.

But would a coherent social global order require complete buy in to a single ideology?

Or could the same beliefs be shared across multiple cultures, in many manifestations (religion, philosophy?)

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Olives
Jun 6, 2013

Toothy McBeard posted:

I would say that, one possible example of a narrative being stripped would be currency collapse.
Do you think something like that could restrict the possibilities of the individual and convince them to buy into a different cultural hegemony?

Are you the guy who was trying to sell people on his *coin/social network thing with the ex IDF devs, Reality Apologist or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toothy McBeard posted:

This is a good point.

So, is it fair to say our global social differences cannot be overcome fully by technology?

What about, a building of cohesive beliefs that can be shared as a level of global hegemony?

Now hegemony operates on so many levels, and individuals can hold multiple ideas of how reality should function at once.

Would a coherent social global order require complete buy in to an ideology?

Or could the same beliefs be shared across multiple cultures, in many manifestations (religion, philosophy?)

1) Probably not, technology is not all pervasive and as pervasive as it is, it is not all-replacing, unless everyone gains the ability to teleport at will geography will still dictate a lot of our environment.

2) Already got that in some ways, e.g capitalism. Basically everyone sees that as the way to live in a pretty significant way whether or not they agree with it, it's ingrained into our lives, and serves to limit a lot of our thought in that we would find it easier to conceive of being higher up in that particular social order rather than changing it completely.

3) Depends what you mean by ideology, for a coherent society you need enough common ground for people to interact and feel somewhat integrated, as well as to desire to support the society and each other against outside predations such as antisocial people and the threats of attrition to communal edifices (state institutions, laws, working currency, that sort of thing) We have laws and money and people don't kill each other because we all work together to support those things. You need that communal effort to have a functioning society so what you would need for a global society is something the entire global population (or a sufficient critical mass of it) is willing to support. That doesn't have to be a dictatorial ideology necessarily in as much as I would hesitate to call the common human desire to not murder each other most of the time an ideology, it just has to be something people will defend and support of their own volition.

4) The rest of people's ideas can differ how they like, you can have all sorts of stances on a lot of social issues and the underlying society still functions, regardless of whether you have slavery, gay marriage, abortions, redistribution of wealth, wars, religions, the death penalty, conscription, all sorts of things that people have traditionally sought to enforce very rigid conformity on, across the population. But in terms of whether a society basically functions, none of that is really very important.

Toothy McBeard
Jan 13, 2008
DOG DETECTIVE

OwlFancier posted:

1) Probably not, technology is not all pervasive and as pervasive as it is, it is not all-replacing, unless everyone gains the ability to teleport at will geography will still dictate a lot of our environment.

2) Already got that in some ways, e.g capitalism. Basically everyone sees that as the way to live in a pretty significant way whether or not they agree with it, it's ingrained into our lives, and serves to limit a lot of our thought in that we would find it easier to conceive of being higher up in that particular social order rather than changing it completely.

3) Depends what you mean by ideology, for a coherent society you need enough common ground for people to interact and feel somewhat integrated, as well as to desire to support the society and each other against outside predations such as antisocial people and the threats of attrition to communal edifices (state institutions, laws, working currency, that sort of thing) We have laws and money and people don't kill each other because we all work together to support those things. You need that communal effort to have a functioning society so what you would need for a global society is something the entire global population (or a sufficient critical mass of it) is willing to support. That doesn't have to be a dictatorial ideology necessarily in as much as I would hesitate to call the common human desire to not murder each other most of the time an ideology, it just has to be something people will defend and support of their own volition.

4) The rest of people's ideas can differ how they like, you can have all sorts of stances on a lot of social issues and the underlying society still functions, regardless of whether you have slavery, gay marriage, abortions, redistribution of wealth, wars, religions, the death penalty, conscription, all sorts of things that people have traditionally sought to enforce very rigid conformity on, across the population. But in terms of whether a society basically functions, none of that is really very important.

This is great!

So by ideology, I was referring to something more codified in nature, that would demand attention by the presiding cultural hegemony.
Perhaps my initial thoughts for it were too rigid.

Okay so lets re-define the initial premise to fit our newly explored ideas.

In order for an individual to have any real effect on cultural hegemony (with the goal of a unified perspective on how to deal with global issues) :

1. One should attempt to affect it through already established systems.

2. The effect cannot be exceptionally large in scale (except for in cases of technological innovation)

3. Different forms of cultural hegemony can hold the same belief, which would result in the concurrent action towards the same end.
therefore We should fashion our personal efforts through established systems that have mindfulness of this shared belief.

can you add to (or fix) this definition?

Toothy McBeard fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that the "presiding cultural hegemony" as you put it isn't really a directed thing, it's emergent. It's the sum effect of all sorts of different pressures from different sources that no individual or organization has a very compelling degree of control over.

To use again the marxism analogy, no individual can entirely control the culture of even a single nation, or to the degree they can, they are very limited in what they can actually achieve. The ideal goal is stateless communism but nobody has an effective method of getting there because nobody controls the environment of a nation sufficiently to produce people for whom that mode of social organization would be stable, and to the degree people can control that environment you end up with things like the USSR which run up against the limits of exactly how much and in what ways you can control a person's environment enough to create a coherent ideology, and even on the national level you run up against international issues where a wildly ideologically divergent nation would be necessarily opposed to all other nations, and thus a lot of its ideology would be necessarily a sort of siege mentality which would impede global integration.

I would essentially argue that the "presiding cultural hegemony" is hegemonic because it isn't directed. It's emergent as a result of material circumstances and simple ideas. We live in societies with laws the world over because laws are a very simple solution to organizing groups of people in an orderly manner, even if the laws themselves differ. Industrialization and the concept of property ownership that comes with it shape the way we work and live, and until you replace industrialization for some reason you're likely to see that continue. So everyone reacts to these immanent material circumstances in similar, simple ways, and the more complex variations on that (what laws do we have, who specifically owns what) can be wildly variable because they don't really change the underlying systems.

So the idea that anyone can effect significant change to that seems... kind of odd because everyone else in the world, individually, is pushing back. Because they've experienced the same common material circumstances and have the same fundamental responses to it. If you're looking to change something based on those basic responses to the world you're going to have a lot of trouble unless you can do something to change the material circumstances of the world, as the industrial revolution did.

• Locked thread