Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I feel like this might not count, but...

Kind of based on the original Coveted Jewel. It was originally 'draw', but this makes it more unique than just the standard draw-whatevers, as well as preventing at least a bit of the inevitable 'instant speed draws' abuse without impacting intended functionality. (Also makes it much harder to abuse with Top.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 26, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

imagine the last one is a cycle --
blue - esteem of the aloft - have flying ... creature with flying
red - esteem of the swift - first strike
black - esteem of the clever - menace
white - esteem of the watchful - vigilance

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's flip the crown.

A Masticore, A demon, a delayed action looter, all with a drawback that acts as a deterrent.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I'm not entirely happy with this, but I'll toss it in anyway.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 29, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 29, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Honorable Mention: AJ_Impy's Pauper

I wanted to give this one a shout out for creating a new monarch type object. I initially wanted to make that specifically the subject of the contest but I figured there wouldn't be enough entries.

3rd Place: PMush Perfect's Cycle of Revenge

This is nice removal, if a little bit too strong at 6 to any for 3 on an instant. It being so strong could lead to your opponent just chosing not to cast it to give it back to you so that ruins the fun a little bit. I think it is conceptually sound, but just needs some tweaking.

2nd Place: Only 17 characters's Darksteel Field

This is quite a deterrent. I could see this being used in an artifact deck with tricks to be very one sided. There are a few different play styles that could abuse a card like this and that makes it fun.

1st Place: desktop_metaphor's The Monarch

This card fits right in the same space as the mechanic of the same name. Giving it a plus 3 makes sure it sticks and slowly ramps up the game filling everyone's hands. The minus 6 is a nice touch. I would almost want it to start at 4 loyalty or be a minus 5 to make sure that your opponent can't just immediately turn off the fun. Overall I think it just fits my idea the best of a card that is going to be tossed around the table and influence attacks as long as it is on the board.

Congratulations desktop_metaphor!

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Li'l Folks

Make a card based on Peanuts! I really enjoyed the Pokemon contest, and the DnD one that I watched from afar, so my contest is in the same vein. Anything at all in any way related to Peanuts is fair game, from the comic strip itself, to the specials, to the merch, or even Charles Schulz himself. (I'll even accept other Schulz-penned comics like Li'l Folks or Young Pillars)

The main difference between this contest and the pokemon and dnd ones is that Peanuts doesn't take place in a world that's all about fighting (which dnd and Pokemon share in common with magic.) Try to keep your cards in line with the feeling of the Peanuts universe. For example, in the comic Lucy and Charlie Brown don't fight to the death. That doesn't mean you can't have cards that attack, or die, or destroy other creatures, but do your best to represent the Peanuts world with the language and mechanics of magic, rather than transporting the Peanuts gang to the battlefields of the Magic universe.

(Also, feel free to use images from the comics for your card art, don't worry if they're b/w lineart.)

Contest ends Sunday August 4th at 11:59 PM, PDT.

desktop_metaphor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 29, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated. Desktop Metaphor now has the full podium set after claiming their first gold.

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

edit: made blackjack snoopy a little more black-bordered

pup tart fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 29, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Edit:

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 29, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yes, they're real.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 2, 2019

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019
HONORABLE MENTIONS
There were a lot of cards entered that adapted recurring peanuts gags into magic cards, but this one stood out to me as maybe the most direct. In the comics the Kite-Eating Tree is represented as something truly monstrous, with Charlie Brown and occasionally Linus looking on in terror and disgust as it annihilates Charlie Brown's latest kite. It's as close as the Peanuts universe gets to some of the more ferocious creatures in magic, so it's a very smart candidate for its own magic card.

I thought both of these niche equipments were very cute. Both repurpose the flavor of magic in such a simple way and make great use of quotes and artwork from Peanuts, while not doing much at all. They're maybe the most likable cards submitted, and the ones I'd most want to own and constantly put in and immediately take out of decks. (Also I want everybody to know that Snoopy's brother, Spike, does indeed canonically wear Mickey Mouse's shoes.)

This is just a simple card that makes some birds for Snoopy to take on wilderness adventures, and that's charming enough on its own-- I've always been a fan of cards that create friends. What puts it over the top (into the honorable mentions) is the quote. I know I cautioned against transporting the Peanuts gang to the battlefields of the Magic universe, but I never considered the possibility of Snoopy and his Beagle Scouts trekking over the werewolf-infested hills of Innistrad. It's a very funny way of tying together the two worlds, and it brings up a lot of interesting questions. Like, what would be a scarier thing to run into in the woods: a run-of-the-mill werewolf, or a cartoon dog and some birds going on a hike that clearly don't belong in your world?

3rd PLACE: Mikl's Subdivision of Gifts
This card made me laugh when I first saw it, and my love for it hasn't abated since. The rock gag is by far my favorite bit of the Peanuts Halloween special AND this adaptation of it creates a completely useless permanent, which I'm also big on. Okay, it's not completely useless, there's some decks that would be happy to have it, and because it's random sometimes the player with Urza, Blinkmoth Urn, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, and Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge will end up with a pretty useful Rock. But it's almost as funny to imagine an alternate universe where Charlie Brown gets a rock Trick-or-Treating and thinks "I got a rock, and now my Constructs get an additional +1/+1" as it is to imagine a player just sitting with a Rock on their field, taking up space, a permanent monument to the card they didn't get to draw.

2nd PLACE: Lack of Bear's Expected Results
There were quite a few cards submitted that adapted Charlie Brown's famous failure to kick the ball, and I liked them all. However, this was the only card that I felt really got to the heart of the football gag, and did it in a beautifully simple way to boot. The structure of the football gag is as follows: Lucy offers to hold the ball for Charlie Brown so he can kick it, but Charlie Brown knows from past experience that Lucy will pull the ball away at the last second and that he'll kill himself by landing flat on his back. Of course Lucy finds some reason that this time will be different, and sometimes she's very clever about it, but sometimes it seems like she is not really even trying. It doesn't matter. Every time Charlie Brown lets Lucy convince him, and every time the inevitable happens, and Lucy pulls the ball away, and Charlie Brown lands flat on his back. So Charlie Brown's failure to kick the ball is not really what the football gag is about, even though it's always the most visceral moment. What it's about is Charlie Brown's boundless trust and optimism in an uncaring world, and that's what this card does such a good job at representing. Imagine it in a multiplayer game of Commander. You're playing with friends, for fun, but within the system of the game itself friendship doesn't exist, only temporary alliances. You realize that, but want to trust that it's not that way, and go for the attack to get that sweet reward of drawing a card that your friend should want for you. What a crushing moment when your friend destroys your creature just because, ultimately, their strength and your weakness means the game is more fun for them. And then you do it all over again the next time you play Magic.

1st PLACE: pup tart's Blackjack Snoopy/Joe Blackjack, Master of Bridge

A lot of the other cards I've featured concisely represent one idea in a simple way. After all, Peanuts is a strip known for its minimalism, and so I've tried to prioritize that in my judging. But Peanuts is also meandering, not in a hurry to get to the punchline. Sometimes just the language is the real focus of a strip, or even a week of strips. Or just a silly premise, one that's not just milked for jokes, but sort of slowly turned over in the hands to shine light on its texture from different angles. This card embodies that aspect of Peanuts. It's much more complicated than any of the other cards submitted almost automatically, being a flipwalker, but there's just so many little details to like! It's based on one of Snoopy's lesser-known alter egos: Joe Blackjack, a world-famous river boat gambler who's definitely not very good at cards. He starts out as a creature and in order to flip into a planeswalker has to essentially just draw a lucky hand. The card represents this using the awful clash mechanic, and before seeing this card I've never thought about how clash DOES kind of turn Magic cards into playing cards, where the most important thing about a card is its value, and the card with the higher value wins. And when Snoopy wins, his spark presumably ignites and he "planeswalks" into the realm of his imagination, where he's Joe Blackjack, Master of Bridge (which is a funny little reference.) Once he's Joe Blackjack, world-famous river boat gambler, he's still Snoopy and he still doesn't even know how to shuffle. The art, with the dialog helpfully preserved, carries that gag over from comic. The card represents this mechanically with the static ability, which is mostly useless but under certain very specific circumstances seems pretty powerful. If an opponent forgets and plays, say, Tempt with Discovery, you could look at the order of your entire library without shuffling afterwards. Being inept has advantages. The -2 ties into this same idea by making your opponent shuffle their library, something you yourself cannot do, and is an amusing thing to be able to make your opponent do. It could even be useful in some situations (like for example against the Gods from War of the Spark.) Finally, the +1 Scry 2 makes this a card worth using, and is very funny in the context of traditional playing cards, where "Scry 2" is of course known as "cheating." Overall, a funny, well-thought out card that manages to combine not only Peanuts and Magic, but also playing cards into one cute little Snoopy.

Congratulations pup tart, I'm looking forward to your contest!

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
elder goon highlander 2019

design a card for inclusion in one of the commander 2019 decks which are being spoiled as we speak! for your reference, here are the four new commanders:

(oh, by the way, this whole contest will be spoilers for commander 2019, so if you don't want that for some reason, sorry... i think people don't really care about spoilers in magic though?)

to clarify i'm looking for cards that could be printed in the decks that will be released for these commanders. if it's not obvious, please specify which deck your card is targeting (if i can't figure it out, and you didn't specify, you probably won't win! it's a good idea to specify!). cards will be judged on how well they stay true to the theme of the commander, and how likely i feel they are to be one of the actual cards that will be printed in the decks! if you design a card that, during the event, is the same as an actual card that is spoiled later, you will probably win! if you design a card that, after the event, is the same as an actual card that is in one of the decks, and you didn't win, then i retroactively lose and have shamed myself for eternity!

hopefully the continual rollout of previews for commander 2019 will inspire a continuous stream of new ideas for you! have fun!

Contest ends Sunday August 11th at 11:59 PM, PDT.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

a tutor for kadena

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Wanted to explore possible double-populate options for Ghired.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A gift for Anje Falkenrath, something that you actually might not want to cast with Madness.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Reckless Rage is rotating soon but we'll never forget it, and by we I mean mostly I, but still.

It's for Sevinne the Chronothing in case unclear.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

For the populate commander

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How 'bout something they all can share ?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think tokens can be turned face down

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Google seems to say it can. The rules themselves don't explicitly say it can but they don't really say it can't either. It's pretty uncharted territory.

707.2a If a face-up permanent is turned face down by a spell or ability, it becomes a 2/2 face-down creature with no text, no name, no subtypes, no expansion symbol, and no mana cost. These values are the copiable values of that object's characteristics.

Permanent, not card.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. I become only the second to reach 20 honour, and Pup tarts doubles his tally in every category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

For Ghired

For Kadena