Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
populate deck:

resubmission:

also this isn't a submission but i feel like i get a honor point for almost getting the name and general idea of "set your deck on fire for short-term benefit" things right here (although maybe this'd work in the flashback deck?)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

for morph

for flashback

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

For the morphin deck.

for the madness deck

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

A card for Sevinne that you could also play with Anje.

A secondary legend for the Kadena deck.

e:
Another card for Ghired.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 12, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

an equipment for flashback deck

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
and that's time! thanks to everyone who made cards for this contest. we always make mtg cards, of course, but it's been interesting to see people design for a specific, real, product -- to try to exactly emulate and predict the people who make the real cards that we exchange our dollars for. before i attempt to exactly emulate the people who tell those people "no", it's time for honorable mentions!

Honorable Mentions:

this time around, the honorable mentions are ranked! i tried to rank the honorable mention cards based on a combination of how well they fit the contest, and also how much i happened to personally like them.

Honorable Mention -- Fourth Place: President Ark's Burn the Future:

of course, i didn't expect you all to predict the flavor of the cards in addition to their mechanics, but i think President Ark does indeed deserve an honor point for getting both pretty close. honestly, i'm not sure if it's in my power to give an honor point for this, since i don't know if the card is even in this contest, but i'm gonna try, and the spreadsheeters will have the final say. (also i have been meaning to read paranatural for a while, so thank you for reminding me!)

Honorable Mention -- Third Place: Kuiperdolin's Born // Kill:

reckless rage's drawback is very fun, especially when there's a chance that you may have to copy it. i really like the idea of not being able to cast this as your first graveyard spell on your turn, because you might end up killing one or two of your own creatures in the process. sevinne, though, has that handy "prevent all damage" ability, which turns this drawback off, so it ends up feeling a bit unnecessary.

Honorable Mention -- Second Place: desktop_metaphor's Cloistered Tutor:

i really like how the not-revealing of the tutor leads into the not-revealing of the face down permanent the card becomes, but i feel like this card is very strong at BB. i'm not totally sure how i would cost it myself, because if you can flicker the manifested permanent, you can play any permanent in your deck for two mana... but it's a neat combination of mechanics that i would like to see printed in some form.

Honorable Mention -- First Place: Tulul's Unsettling Inkeeper // Psycho Killer:

i really like recursion, so of course this card has a lot going for it. a card that sticks around and does a bunch of cool stuff is a great card for a commander deck. i think this card does a little too much, though... it's removal, it's a deathtouch blocker, it brings stuff back from the graveyard, it itself can give you madness triggers... this is a card that i would love to have, but the part of myself that is imitating a designer at wizards won't let me print it.

and now, the main event:

Third Place: Jade Rider's Hydra's Boon:

this card is so green, but at the same time, it has that touch of green-red-white flavor in its mechanics that makes it feel totally at home in ghired's house. i like how this card is sort of polyraptor-y, which is a mechanic that magic seems to really like at the moment, but in a way that feeds into giving you reasons to actually attack people instead of hanging out with all your tokens and trying to collect more.

Second Place: Lack of Bear's Make or Break:

this card is just really neat. i think that the harsher downside than most of the "an opponent chooses" cards (exiling instead of graveyarding) does a very good job at counterbalancing the upside of manifesting the chosen cards. unlike most of the "an opponent chooses" cards, the cards aren't revealed to the table, though; just to the one player that the spell's controller picks. i like the weird politics of that player deciding whether to get the table's feedback on which cards to manifest, or whether they feel a benefit to keeping that information to themself! also, most of the time your opponent can pretty easily prevent you from manifesting good things by choosing non-creature cards, but you can turn the tables in your favor by using most any of the cards from aminatou's commander deck last year (especially primordial mist) which is a nice touch. also also, the spell's instant speed can give you a couple of blockers in a pinch, if you didn't draw the support the card needs to really shine, which gives it an alternate purpose and keeps it from being a theoretically cool card that ends up just sitting in your hand.

First Place: Only 17 characters's Herald of the Octagon:

"so imagine a blue stop sign" —sans undertale
i am personally very fond of this mechanic, so i waffled for a while on whether it should be an honorable mention card or not. there's nothing keeping this card from being actually printed, though; it fits right in with similar cards that end the turn, and the new card from this commander set that ends specifically a combat phase, and it feels very at home with kadena -- it's similar to kadena's silencer except that it's a bit more pricey and is in exchange way more interesting. one of my favorite things about commander is getting to see and build around interactions and strategies that just aren't feasable in a more strictly competitive format. the best of those interactions and strategies are the ones that have synergy with a large number of cards from the whole history of magic. energy-counter-based cards, for example, don't interact with many cards except for other energy-counter-based cards (and proliferate and proliferate-y cards, but still), and in the same vein i sort of wish that the main commanders in this set weren't so specifically devoted to particularly narrow mechanics from magic's history, even if they are providing support for mechanics that really could use that bit of extra goodness to make them deckbuildworthy. ending a turn, or phase, is a mechanic that obviously has very rich interactions with almost every card in the game, but even within the vast confines of commander there are only a few cards with the effect, and most have downsides that limit how much fun you can have with them. this card cuts out a little slice of that mechanic pie, prices it reasonably, and hands it to kadena on a neat little platter. congrats on first place!

thanks again to everyone who entered and gave me new cards to wish i owned. good luck to us all in the next contest!

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

Wow I am honored! Everyone did awesome stuff so I'm flattered to be the winner.

The Peanuts themed contest got me craving a Garfield contest so let's do ...

Legalize Lasagna

Make a card based on Garfield the comic strip. I'd like it to match the spirit of Garfield the comic strip as closely as possible. Cosmic horror Garfield I'd advised against but canon Garfield horror is definitely acceptable (halloween special, so on).

Let's see some Pure Garfield, Baby. Person who best encapsulates the True Spirit of Garfield wins the Lasagna.

Contest ends Sunday August 18th at 9:03 PM, PDT.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I refuse to apologise for this.

e. Minor correction in the card.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 13, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Don't apologise for greatness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My only complaint about the winning card is that it didn't use the Jack Black Sesame Street thing.

Edit:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 12, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And a creature version.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

e: added "instead"

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 14, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

:colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 13, 2019

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Once upon a time this card was the same as sprouting phytohydra. But with egg tribal suddenly being a thing, it is now very good.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, that's cute. A bit expensive for what's basically 'hexproof from black', though.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yup, that's a Garfield cartoon.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

:frogout:

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 19, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, that's cute. A bit expensive for what's basically 'hexproof from black', though.
thanks! you're probably right, i just wanted to keep it from being a card that's only good because it's a cheap artifact.

a couple last minute entries:

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

And that's it! Thank you everyone who participated. Results shortly.

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

This was VERY difficult for me. There were so many solid entries and some genuine love for Garfield.

honorable mentions:
Third - Pup Tart - Moral Dilemma

Reflecting on the duality of life and implication of the complex morality in the world of Garfield is captured well here. Exestential dread hides well within this card.

Second -
itsmekidney's The Garfield Telephone

VERY BOLD to make this non-silver border. It is absurd and I enjoy that about it.

First - Mikl's Cup of Coffee

This infamous strip was bound to get crafted and you did a good job at capturing the implied horror that Jon is faced with off panel. Exert got me!

MAIN EVENT:

3rd - Lack of Bear's Substitute

This one made me laugh out loud when I saw it and that is one of the inidcators of the spirit of Garfield. Fights falling short of expectations is a pretty common theme in the world of Garfield and this card executes that very well.

2nd - Eeevil's Setup // Punchline

Wow, the June 29th 1984 gag (a Friday) that has a punchline on the following Monday as a split card is seriously awesome. 2 time counters. It is a really solid execution and only slightly got edged out by...

1st - Desktop_metaphor Jon's Naptime

The simplicty of this one is what really worked for me. I saw it and laughed instantly. The original strip ends with Garfield sneaking off to take a nap and this card really captures that as a magic card. Wonderful and congrats.

Only 17 characters fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 19, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019
It Becomes You

For this contest, I’m looking for cards that are mutable, that don’t stay the same as they’re printed (or don’t allow other cards to) especially where it comes to Types and Subtypes. Usually this involves noncreature cards becoming creatures, but you don’t have to limit yourself to that, anything in the spirit of transformation beyond the printed is allowed. Try to use the words “BECOME” or “BECOMES” on your card. (You may also use “IS” as on Starfield of Nyx, and “CHANGE” as on Artificial Evolution.) Artifacts becoming creatures, warriors becoming cowards, enchantments becoming artifacts, lands becoming animated, nonbasic lands becoming mountains, every instance of a creature type on a printed card becoming a different creature type.

There ARE a couple of restrictions, though. The first is that, while you’re free to make a clone card (~ BECOMES a copy of…) we recently had a clone contest, so I’m less interested in seeing them for this one. Clone cards will be at a disadvantage, but clone cards that specifically clone something of a different type less so. Transformations that are more specific are more interesting to me.

The second is that while color changing also uses the word BECOMES and changes a pretty fundamental part of a card, I usually don’t find them that interesting on their own. A blue card becoming red just doesn’t have the same flavor appeal as an artifact becoming a creature, it’s too abstract. Feel free to make color changing cards, but, like clone cards, they will be at a disadvantage. Unless they are also changing something else.

Finally, stuff like “becomes blocked,” “becomes tapped/untapped,” and “becomes the target of...” are not the focus of this contest.

Other than that, though, it’s free reign. Change or add to the printed attributes of cards, and let’s erase boundaries and all live in a world where anything can be anything else.

Contest ends Sunday August 25th at 11:59 PM, PDT.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a good contest.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 20, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Certainly this is meant to effect only artifact creatures, right? As written I believe this let's you crew a vehicle that has no value for power or toughness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

itsmekidney posted:

Certainly this is meant to effect only artifact creatures, right? As written I believe this let's you crew a vehicle that has no value for power or toughness.
There's no clean way to make it enchant an artifact creature without immediately falling off. (Just look at the ridiculous gatherer text required to make Animate Dead work.)

How's this?

AJ_Impy posted:

You could make crew cost, power and toughness all equal to CMC.
Yeah, that's probably cleaner.

Edit: More content!

Basically weird but supercharged Nature's Revolt. The Pillar Men Theme spontaneously plays whenever you cast it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
You could make crew cost, power and toughness all equal to CMC.