Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:justpost: before the contest ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

For centuries, the Elves and Goblins on this plane have been at war. But now that the plane is threatened by Eldrazi/Phyrexia/Bolas/Jace, they've put aside their differences to face this common enemy.

Elves are still green and goblins are still red, which I'm hoping will encourage making an Elves And Goblins deck, instead of an Elves Deck That Includes The One Good Goblin (or vice-versa), since once you're using both tribes' colors, you may as well use both tribes. The lords cost two colored mana so that you can't easily splash for just them, and there's a legend because Commander.

Not every Elf/Goblin in the set/block will be focused on this alliance, but there wold be enough to draft around.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 5, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I have one

And the big payoff card

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yikes. That last one with a changeling gets +234/+234.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this needs a p/t box

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

AJ_Impy posted:

Yikes. That last one with a changeling gets +234/+234.
Yeah, I'm figuring out a more elegant workaround than just limiting the per-turn activations or limiting it to non-shapeshifter creatures, which solves the Changeling problem but looks so, so bad.

This one encourages going wide, but emphasizes the Taker himself, which kind of plays into a little narrative. I think this better resonates.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, I'm figuring out a more elegant workaround than just limiting the per-turn activations or limiting it to non-shapeshifter creatures, which solves the Changeling problem but looks so, so bad.

Remove all creature types from a creature you control?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

AJ_Impy posted:

Remove all creature types from a creature you control?
Beat me by 3 seconds

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

this needs a p/t box

Thanks for the catch, fixed it.

Veyrall posted:

This one encourages going wide, but emphasizes the Taker himself, which kind of plays into a little narrative. I think this better resonates.

This doesn't care at all which or how many subtypes it removes. It does something to creature types, but there's nothing really tribal about it, except that it can't really go in tribal decks.

Although that gives me an idea...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
That's a wrap.

Honorable mentions:

I feel like you designed this card and then tried to force it into a cycle (which is something I do all the drat time, trust me). It's probably a bit weak, but it's interesting enough that I'd want to try it in some variant of a W/B token strategy.

This particular variant on a 'big game hunter' is really cool.

:allears:

Our winner is:

This is a super cool card that makes for some actually interesting deckbuilding choices. I could totally see it being printed in Morningtide, given that expansion's focus on class tribal, and the white Kithkin had a lot of all four of these creature types. The fact that it might be powerful enough to make Changeling a viable Modern deck is just icing. Congratulations, Lottery of Babylon!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ungulateman posted:

I feel like you designed this card and then tried to force it into a cycle (which is something I do all the drat time, trust me). It's probably a bit weak, but it's interesting enough that I'd want to try it in some variant of a W/B token strategy.

Yeah, pretty much, and that was indeed the first.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

:siren: Extra Shadows over Innistrad :siren:

Shadows over Innistrad was originally designed as a three-set block. With the switch to the new two-set block paradigm, a lot of extra cards that belonged in the block were cut, as the "Mirrodin Besieged"-esque set between SOI and EDM was cannibalized. Which cut cards were your favorites?

Go crazy with SOI/EDM mechanics, invent a new mechanic that you think would have fit naturally in a small set in the block, or just make some cool horror-themed one-offs.

Yes, Return to Innistrad isn't exactly topical at the moment, but this thread was on hiatus when it was released, so we need to make up for lost time. As a reminder, the block mechanics that are already present are DFC's, Delirium, Investigate, Madness, Skulk, Emerge, Escalate, and Meld.

Edit: Contest ends 2/15 at 10pm EST.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 8, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Right then. Let's mix in Eldritch Moon's body horror/merging creatures together with Innistrad's tribal themes and mechanics and see what wakes up on the slab.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

There's probably more to do with this mechanic, I'll keep toying with it.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
As a middle set, an evolution of investigate seems natural. And one of the ways investigate could evolve would be to print nontoken clues. These cards would still interact with cards that care if clues come into play, and all clues by rule must have a way to sacrifice themselves, so they would interact with cards that care about sacrificing Clues.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The middle set of the Shadows block was meant to be a bridge between the Gothic Horror of SoI and the Cosmic horror of EMN. Avacyn is dead, but that doesn't mean Emrakul could just show up, we have to have a cool set of creeping dread that's ramped up from the rather boring investigation of SoI.

The way this was accomplished is through partly the use of Enchant Worlds. The enchantments represented the darkening, maddening atmosphere of the world. Each was a specific mood, from an ever-increasing chaos in the actions of everyday people to the increasingly maddened spirits inhabiting Innistrad. It was a 10-card semi vertical cycle, one for each two-color pair. As they were enchant worlds, only one would be active at a time, and the effects were 'symmetrical.'

So here's the cycle from SoI's middle set, "The Coming Night"

Uncommon:

Rare:

Mythic:

*I used proliferate here since its inclusion in other cards in TCN would have played well with proliferate later on in KLD block, and it's a good way to represent things spreading (which is why they used it in SoM)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 11, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Good entries so far, keep them coming!

Also, a clarification on the contest rules: your entries don't have to come from the Mirrodin Besieged-esque middle set. Maybe they were cut from one of the other two sets to make room for cards evacuated from the middle set. Maybe they were in the sets long after the block was condensed into two sets, but were cut for other reasons, like design deciding they didn't really need two werewolf legends. Maybe they were from an early design structure of the block when the third set was an AVR-ish thing set after Eldritch Moon.

Basically, I don't want the flavor text I wrote at the start of the context to limit your designs. Make anything you want, as long as it could have appeared in some version of SOI block.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
These two submissions were a collaborative effort by the goons in #mtgoon on IRC.

The art isn't perfect on the last one. I'd prefer a portrait with some blood splattered onto it for the front half and the backhalf ideally would've been the guy in front of a wall with the two eye holes. But hopefully you get the concept.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
No mocks, but here's Portend, a mechanic about the people of Innistrad getting random glimpses of the horrors to come. I went with random reveals so there's some play around getting the right result and also because discarding cards from your hand to thin it synergizes with Madness and Delirium.

Manic Watchman | Creature - Human Scout 2/1 | 1R (Common)
Portend - When Manic Watchman enters the battlefield, reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Devil creature card is revealed this way, creatures you control get +1/+0 and haste until end of turn.

Geist-Given Wisdom | Sorcery | U (Common)
Portend - Reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Spirit creature card is revealed this way, scry 2.
Draw a card.

Gibbering Medium | Creature - Human Cleric 2/2 | 2WW (Uncommon)
Portend - At the beginning of your end step, reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Spirit creature card is revealed this way, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Shambling Griever | Creature - Zombie 2/2 | 1BB (Uncommon)
Portend - BB, T, Discard a card: Reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Zombie creature card is revealed this way, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Otherwise, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.

Mindrending Prophet | Creature - Human Shaman 1/1 | 2BB (Rare)
Portend - When Mindrending Prophet enters the battlefield, you may discard two cards. If you do, reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Demon creature card is revealed this way, target player discards two cards.

Festering Boar | Creature - Boar Horror 4/4 | 2GG (Rare)
Portend - When Festering Boar enters the battlefield, reveal a card at random from your hand. If a Horror creature card is revealed this way, return Festering Boar to its owner's hand and put four 1/1 green Worm creature tokens onto the battlefield.

And the big tease:

Maddening Clarity | Sorcery | 3UU (Mythic Rare)
Portend - Reveal a card at random from your hand. If a colorless creature card with converted mana cost 4 or more is revealed this way, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost and it can't be countered.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

All the entries this contest were great, well done everyone.

Third Place: PMush Perfect's Purge: This is a really cool ability and fits the setting thematically while also being easy to reflavor in other settings, and seems like it would lead to a lot of interesting interactions and gameplay decisions. My biggest concern is that the interactions might cause rules confusion. For example, if Westvale Cult Leader gets purged, what happens to its power and toughness? To my knowledge, there is no precedent for this -- every "loses all abilities" effect ever printed either makes the target a noncreature or sets the target to a specific power/toughness.

Second Place: black potus's Portend: I'm not sure how well the random reveal would work in gameplay -- even if you've gotten rid of almost all of your other cards, a card that has a 50% chance of completely whiffing feels pretty bad, and the payoffs don't particularly seem to make up for the risk involved (Hymn to Tourach is a great card, but not when it costs twice as much and hits both players and requires you to still have a particular fattie in your hand). In spite of that, I really like this mechanic. Geist-Given Wisdom has perfect flavor and is a good way to get them to finally put blue cantrips back in standard, it plays well with Madness/Delirium, and on principle I love "reveal a Demon/Devil" effects for giving your huge 7-mana creature a chance to be relevant before the very end of the game. What really makes it work for me is the way the flavor comes through chillingly in the gameplay -- in order to properly devote yourself to a demon, you must empty your mind of all other thoughts. That resonates with me a hell of a lot better than whatever Delirium is meant to feel like.

First Place: Skyl3laser's Enchant Worlds: Considering the change to the legend/planeswalker rule, I can't imagine Wizards ever bringing Enchant Worlds back. But I absolutely love what you've managed to do with them here. The way these hugely distort the game rules creates a far better feeling of the world being twisted by Emrakul's influence than anything in SOI itself ever managed to do. I have some quibbles with individual cards (the RG effect feels more white than anything else, and the UB one doesn't really do anything), but overall these just look so much fun to play with, and something about them really speaks to me.

Congratulations Skyl3laser!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For example, if Westvale Cult Leader gets purged, what happens to its power and toughness?
I'd imagine it'd be 0/0, the way the rules used to work that would, say, make the Goyf a 0/1 while it's in your graveyard.

Currently trying to decide which of Skyl3laser's cards to put in my favorites list.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thanks! The UB one is meant to synergize with Emrakul heavily, as well as more easily enabling delirium.

Onto the new one!

Gold Cube Cards!

Cube is the best limited format is MtG, but it has some issues. Certain color pairs + mana costs just don't have many interesting options, so your mission is to design at least 3 cards from the following categories. They don't have to have a common theme, just be interesting in a cube environment.

For clarification: Color here is Color Identity, and they don't have to be creatures unless specified

A) Red/White, CMC 2 or 3
B) Blue/Green, CMC 2 or 3
C) Red/Green, NON CMC 4
D) Black/White, CMC >4
E) Red/Black, CMC 2
F) Blue/Black, CMC 2
G) Blue/Red, CREATURE

This contest will last until Thursday, February 23 @ 6pm EST so I can judge when I get back from work.

More clarification: Winner will be based on best ENTRY as a whole, not for a single individual card. I might do sub recognition or something idk.

Good Luck!

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 16, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Please also note that I'm a judge so if your card is templated like total garbage or has insane rules baggage it will hurt your chances.

Also, specifying which category each entry is in would help.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 16, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Skyl3lazer posted:

The UB one is meant to synergize with Emrakul heavily

:doh: I completely missed that that's what the extra turn interaction was for. Okay, that's really clever.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I liked the idea of a ritual that could also be used to fix for heavily colored costs later in the game. Technically speaking black doesn't get rituals very often these days, but I figure in a cube environment you're more likely to have them.

A little hybrid of Lumbering Falls and the Zendikons from the original Zendikar block.

I wanted to do a hybrid U/R creature at a low cost, but the overlap between blue and red in creatures is small. I went for a sort of hybrid of Soldier of Fortune and Dakra Mystic.

It's Soul Manipulation, but Unsummon instead of Remove Soul. Good work, me.

I've always liked R/W in cubes to be Equipment focused, especially if you can build around Sunforger, so I catered to both wants here.

A land-only ramp card for red and green, to push that archetype away from going wide with mana dorks or cheating with rituals.

I like Incarnations, and Valor was taken, so Chivalry it is for the embodiment of Knights.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't think Stoneforge Mystic really needed to be made stronger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ungulateman posted:

It's Soul Manipulation, but Unsummon instead of Remove Soul. Good work, me.

It's actually Rise as an instant.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't think Stoneforge Mystic really needed to be made stronger.

That would be horrifically broken in the wild (decks with four Batterskull and no other equipment) but in Cube it's OK.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
For the 'Red/Blue creature' category, let's get a fun little enters the battlefield effect.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

R/W 3 drop posted:

Battlefield Offering | Sorcery, 2R
Battlefield Offering deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures and/or players. Until end of turn, whenever a creature dealt damage this way dies, if another creature dealt damage this way is in a graveyard, put Battlefield Offering from your graveyard onto the battlefield transformed.
---------
Hard-Fought Blessing | Enchantment (White)
White creatures you control get +1/+1

U/G 3 drop posted:

Reconstitute | Instant, 1GG
If you cast Reconstitute from your hand, sacrifice a creature. Otherwise, exile a spell you control. If you sacrificed a creature this way, search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. If you exiled a spell this way, search your library for an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 3 or less and exile it; you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.

Flashback 1UU

R/B 2 drop posted:

Tibalt, Agony Sculptor | Planeswalker - Tibalt (Loyalty: 2), RB
0: Until your next turn, Tibalt, Agony Sculptor becomes a legendary 1/1 red and black Devil creature with flying, indestructible, haste, and “whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a loyalty counter on it.”
-1: Exile the top card of your library. You may play it this turn.
-2: Target opponent discards a card.

U/R creature posted:

Scepter Bearer | Creature - Viashino Advisor, 1UR
Menace
Imprint - When Sceptre Bearer enters the battlefield, exile target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard.

Whenever Scepter Bearer deals combat damage to a player, you may copy the exiled card. If you do, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
2/1

U/B 2 drop posted:

Gitaxian Coup | Sorcery, 1U
Kicker 1BB
Exile the top two cards of target player's library. If Gitaxian Coup was kicked, you may cast any number of nonland cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them without paying their mana costs, where X is the number of spells cast this turn (Including Gitaxian Coup).

Storm

black potus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 22, 2017

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I'm submitting these as three separate submissions under three broad categories.

Theme Cards:

I designed these cards to fit themes in my old cube. Specifically, U/R Artifacts, R/W Equipment, and B/R Sacrifice. I'm unsure about Dark Phoenix Rise's wording on the return ability, even though it is obviously trackable due to LKI. I didn't want to use a wording similar to Modular since it would be a bit strange for it to say 'put blaze counters on it equal to the number of blaze counters it had on it'.

Planeswalkers:

Everybody loves planeswalkers in cube. Tamiyo's formatting is a bit off, I wouldn't get MSE to not have the last part of her text overlapping the loyalty counter for some reason.

EDIT: Redid Tamiyo's final ability to make it clearer that you don't have the permanents for the extra turns.

Modal Cards:

Everybody loves modal spells in cube.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 22, 2017

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

A) Red/White, CMC 2 or 3

Yet another red/white equipment synergy card!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Blue and green, I think, have the potential for a fun Threshold archetype. Here's a card for that.

Skyl3lazer posted:

C) Red/Green, NON CMC 4

Pretty simple ramp card that turns into an ETB Shock once you don't need it any more.

Skyl3lazer posted:

D) Black/White, CMC >4

I like Black as a "sacrifice synergy" color in cube, so here's a card for that.

Skyl3lazer posted:

E) Red/Black, CMC 2

Mostly just a Firebolt that upgrades into an Annihilate on the back half. It does have some fun synergy with Red's "temporary draw" exile effects, though.

Skyl3lazer posted:

G) Blue/Red, CREATURE

Panharmonicon For Instants And Sorceries. Juices up Kiln Fiend decks, if your cube supports them, and even on its own gets +2/+2 for instants.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Last day, submissions close in 9 1/2 hours!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Skyl3lazer posted:

F) Blue/Black, CMC 2
Turns out, good mtg-style lorwyn faeries are only drawn by people hired to, well, draw mtg lorwyn faeries.

Skyl3lazer posted:

A) Red/White, CMC 2 or 3
I've been trying to come up with a niche for RW, and Blaze Commando is one of my favourite cards.So what if RW made spells better? Not like UR,but like this?

More an homage to lightning helix, but you see the picture.

A little more reach, a little more pain.

And this would require a retemplating of the rules, but could totally be done.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Here's mine. I had fancy cards made and everything but I've had technology issues this week (Also these all had a lot of help from the #mtgoon team. Thanks dudes!):

GU 2 drop: Stubborn Vegetation UG Instant: Return target non land permanent to it's owners hand. For each permanent returned this way, it's controller creates a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. Overload 4UG

BW Large Drop: Luci, Angel of the Edge 2WWB Legendary Creature - Angel: Flying, Lifelink. Whenever Luci, Angel of the Edge attacks, create two 1/1 white and black Cherub creature tokens with flying and deathtouch tapped and attacking. Exile those tokens at end of combat.

RG 2 or 3 drop: Totem of Blood: 1RG Enchantment: At the beginning of combat, target creature gains +X/+X and haste, where X is the number of creatures you control.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I didn't know this thread had started back up!

Forgive the crappy-looking MTGCARDSMITH templates, I'm at work and don't have access to MSE right now.

UG ramp is a classic cube archetype, right? This ramps you or finds your payoffs or both.

E) Red/Black, CMC 2

RDW card with bonus counters theme support.

G) Blue/Red, CREATURE

Fun dude for a UR flash / control deck. I figure your typical cube will have lots of stuff to trigger it, and you can play it in response to e.g. a fetch crack or a Path to Exile or what have you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
All right I made some cards that I think would be neat to have in cubes for various reasons

UB:

This puts some extra value on basic lands and artists that have multiple entries. It should be silver-bordered of course.

RW:

I feel like red/white aggro decks tend to have lifelink and life gain just as a rider on some of their strong cards, so why not reward the player for having those life gain effects on a guy that also plays well with equipment?

BW:

This is bordering on ice age small text but I like reanimator as a theme and I wanted to push the quick killing potential of that theme.

Thanks to irc goons for helping me fine-tune these cards.

EDIT: I came up with a blue-green effect that goes against the ramp-draw trends of the color combination and pushes the ophidian theme a bit and splashes into graveyard enabling:

GU:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I love armchair design so I'll gladly do all seven. Also I love high power levels.

Skyl3lazer posted:

A) Red/White, CMC 2 or 3

Lightning Helix is the only good RW card because it's the only one Jeskai control would play. Okay that's hyperbolic but I wanted to make a card that'd be good in RW aggro but also good in RWx control. To that end I basically made Aurelia's Fury but good, by making it Arc Lightning + tap. It's versatile, shock a player + remove a blocker, tap down their board before attacks, or just bolt them to the head if needed. If nothing else, it's a RW spell that doesn't say "blocking" or gives +2/+0 and first strike.

quote:

Coiling Oracle, eat your heart out. UG as a theme has always seemed to be ramp with blue's card draw and filtering to have ramp targets, so here's something for the low-end while also aiding playing in your opponent's end step. The ETB had to be weaker than Coiling Oracle's IMO to justify the flash and better stats.

quote:

C) Red/Green, NON CMC 4

I wanted something like Atarka, a huge game-ending haymaker, but more like Burning-Tree Shaman, something that punished the opponent for trying things. No trample because blocking it is the only safe way to get rid of it. I waffled on 7 or 8 CMC and I went 8 after giving it the uncounterable clause.

quote:

D) Black/White, CMC >4

Putting the monarchy on a wrath is harsher than it looks because they won't have any creatures over summoning sickness on their turn, so this is going to draw a few cards for you. Intense color cost to make it hard to splash for.

quote:

E) Red/Black, CMC 2

I wanted to make a Pyroclasm that's useful against bigger things. While it still won't take out Thrun it's going to make him easier to deal with later.

quote:

F) Blue/Black, CMC 2

Distress variant that gives incentives to discarding certain things. This went through like 50 iterations before I hit life loss and scry as riders for the discard. I also wanted to twist the conditions and payoff in a sense, so dealing with black's weakness of removing noncreature things gets you a black effect, and getting rid of a creature for good gets you a blue effect. Scry doesn't have that strong of a color identity, I know, but there wasn't much else besides a cantrip, which is a bit much at 2cmc, and milling, and gently caress milling.

quote:

G) Blue/Red, CREATURE

Nearly every extant UR creature either is a plain blue guy with direct damage for red somewhere, or something that cares about casting instants/sorceries. I decided to blend red's tiny hasty aggro guy with blue's tiny evasive aggro guy and power/toughness shifting, to create a creature that is aided by tempo plays by providing a clock, but doesn't get mad if you don't cast something before combat. 3 cmc both to homage Wind Drake and because hasty evasive 2 power is a bit much at UR.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So because I didn't actually see how many entries and individual cards there were before I started, I wrote a card-by-card breakdown of all of the entries.

I'm assuming you'd like to read that, so it's HERE.

To the Winner's Podium! We had 10 people submit a total of 12 entries, so I'm doing a winner and second place, with some honorable mentions for specific cards.

Honorable Mentions

ungulateman

I think this card was stand out cool. It's super simple, moderately powerful, and has so many small synergies, as well as a good flavor and design. Unfortunately much of your entry was chaff, and your two stand-out cards didn't bring you to the top.

black potus
----
Scepter Bearer | Creature - Viashino Advisor, 1UR
Menace
Imprint - When Sceptre Bearer enters the battlefield, exile target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard.

Whenever Scepter Bearer deals combat damage to a player, you may copy the exiled card. If you do, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
2/1
----

This is probably my single favorite card in this contest - alas, again other submissions dragged it down. If Tibalt hadn't said YOUR next turn you'd probably be #2 spot.

Second Place

ChewyLSB's Planeswalkers

I really liked the designs of each of these. A small weird wording on Tamiyo that I mention in the full review, and the fact that I think two of your color combinations already have a glut of walkers hold this back from first place. That said, a really strong showing.

Winner!

Zoness

Congrats! The stand out card for me here ended up being War Hymn Chanter. I think it really came together well for a super cool and synergistic design. The silver border card I can totally see existing as well (given the proper cube), and it manages to do the silver border thing while still being a good and playable card. Creator was cool - I think it has some power level issues, but overall it's still an interesting effect. Shroud was the weakest card here (Dredge is GB!), but I don't think it detracts too much from the rest of the entry.

Congrats to everyone who won here, and thanks to everyone for your submissions! I think this contest ended up creating some of the most Magic-seeming cards of any of our contests so far, and you guys hit all the right marks for interesting cards to fill each of the categories.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The shroud card was gonna be UG boots but then Chewy reminded me that it would be GU therefore ruining the joke, thanks Chewy.

All right the new theme is going to be Large Enchantments

- Submissions should be Enchantments with CMC 6 or greater (addendum - or a splashy mode has this kind of casting cost)
- The card's effect can be aimed at limited or constructed
- Auras are ok but Enchantment Creatures and Gods are not
- As a secondary parameter, the effect can be long in wording but overall it should be intuitive what the card is doing, for example:

or

These are cards that use a lot of words to say "magic is now birds" or "I am a dragon", which is cool and good.

Basically I'm looking for

High CMC Enchantment
Intuitive and powerful effect

This is an example I came up with:

Let's say the deadline for this is Monday March 6 at 8 pm EST

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2017