Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Nebalebadingdong posted:

aether hub is uncommon and mine will benefit your opponents' lands as well (which is why i made it common)

So noted, point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
well it was worth a shot!

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Dr. Julius Jumblemorph's Jamboree

This week, in the spirit of Ikoria, I'd like you to make a creature with a unusual combo of creature types. It doesn't have to be unique in the history of Magic, just weird.

You can find the list of all the creature types here. You can go here and get a random list of creature type combos if you want inspiration (just hit Execute).

Contest ends on Sunday, May 17th at 11:59 PM EST

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
resubmission:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

President Ark posted:

resubmission:
Murderous Rider ended up being weirdly similar

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Murderous Rider ended up being weirdly similar

it's actually backwards murderous rider; MR kills first then is a creature, while this is a creature first then kills (and is also a better creature in return for no recursion and being better at fighting things and a more stringent casting cost)

e: plus you have to actually run murder in your deck

e2: they're definitely eerily similar cards though, being "A black creature with a killspell stapled to it which has its own mana cost"

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 12, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 12, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Resubmission:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Resubs!

AJ_Impy posted:

Resubmission:

:hfive:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Criminal that it took until RNA for lizard wizard to be a card type

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Been following this thread for a while but never took the time to post. My idea was to combine the Demigod Theros: Beyond Death Cycle with one of my favorite creature cycles, the incarnations:

And just for fun:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Something for Ikoria :

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Have some wordplay:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

wizards doesn't like giving blue very good creatures and a 1U 2/2 flash creature is way above rate for blue

i could see it costing GU though, or even being slightly bigger than 2/2 for GU (although that would negate the bear part of the pun)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

President Ark posted:

wizards doesn't like giving blue very good creatures and a 1U 2/2 flash creature is way above rate for blue

i could see it costing GU though, or even being slightly bigger than 2/2 for GU (although that would negate the bear part of the pun)

UU and hybrids that allow UU there are several examples, including one in the most recent set.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

merfolk trickster and brineborn cutthroat are recent and powerful, cunning nightboner even has upside!

this could just be double hybrid though but ti'd need some boost to put it on nightboners level

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 18, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Each other attacking bear you control*.

That pun is amazing, though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I just straight-up forgot about this, sorry y'all.

3rd Place

Neat twist on Norin.

2nd Place

great things come in bears

1st Place

This cycle has my favorite mechanics of the week. Gluttony is my favorite, but they're all solid.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0mQeLWCCo

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Glad you enjoyed them, I personally loved PMush Perfect's use of Detain on Spiderman.

The end of May is my Birthday, so your challenge is to make a new card based on my favorite thing in Magic:

D E S T R O Y I N G

Y O U R O P P O N E N T ' S

S T U F F

AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

Now, your card should include the words Destroy and Permanent, but there have been very clever ways in the past of "Destroying" permanents. Looking at you, Recoil.

I won't begrudge an Exile effect, but it shouldn't come back from exile... otherwise it's not really gone.

Voting will end on 5/30/20 at 7pm PST.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I decided to riff on the best designed Magic card currently in Standard.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Focus Energy 1UR
Sorcery, uncommon
As an additional cost to cast Focus Energy, tap any number of wizard creatures you control.
Destroy a number of permanents up to the number of creatures you tapped this way.
"What ho, might you cast us a spell?"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

resubmission:

President Ark posted:

explanation of miracle suspend because i couldn't figure out how to write reminder text in a way that looked good: you can only suspend this card if it's the first thing you drew this turn

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 22, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Resubs!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
DESTROY TARGET CONTEST!

Honorable Mentions:

I enjoyed the idea of passing this back and forth if it said "Another target permanent", sadly your Opponent can just destroy this and tap out. They should not be given that option unless everything else they have is destroyed!

3rd Place:

I love this riff on Fractured Identity and it's well costed in Grixis, but the flavor is a little off because you're not destroying the item when you pirate it, you actually make more of it and redistribute.

2nd Place:

I think this is an excellent take on Karmic Justice in a well costed shell, but it has nothing to do with Auras or Scraps. I think mechanically it was the most clever, but it needed a brutal Jund name like "Sulfuric Shrapnel" or "Caustic Consequences".

1st Place:

It's President Ark's resubmission:

I love the different options on this and how it blends together the anticipation of destruction, the heavy mana commitment and the flavor. The End's "Nigh" being relative with the introduction of a Miracle Suspend really puts this over the top in enjoyment for me. Well done.

Thanks again for everyone participating in this contest!

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

The name, ability, and flavor are a play on Aura Shards. It was mostly because Collateral Damage was already taken and I couldn't think of anything else.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

It's time (not to) Dual

(or, to toot my own horn, these submissions, which is when i came up with the idea.)

Dual lands, dual lands, dual lands. I'm sick of 'em. They're in nearly every set and half the time it feels like people judge supplemental sets (masters, etc) by what dual lands are in them (lookin' at you, fetches!). Recent sets have had some land cycles that aren't two-colored though, and that's nice. I like variety. Design some land cycles that are anything but two colors. One color, three color, four color, five-color-but-with-a-monocolored-ability, colorless or non-mana-generating with an ability, whatever. Either show one member of the cycle if they're identical except in colors generated, or at least two if they differ in some way (like manlands or something) to demonstrate what sort of space this plays in (you can either leave out the rest, or just summarize them without card images). Do all 5 if you're feeling spicy, but it's in no way required.

e: thinking on it more, cycles may be a bit too restrictive. Non-cycle lands are fine, but I'm goint to prefer cycles over single lands.

e2: contest ends next sunday, the 7th

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some resubs while I come up with an idea for a cycle.