Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Inspired me to look back at my lands.

Is it against the rules to have a colorless land with a two color ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lack of Bear posted:

Is it against the rules to have a colorless land with a two color ability?

that's pushing it, i'll allow it only because it's hybrid G/B instead of costing GB

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I will stay away from two colors.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

This contest is harder than I thought but it's also a ton of fun :O

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 31, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Resubmission:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 1, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i'm confused, is this "the first land that is tapped for mana produces an extra g" or "each land, when tapped for the first time, produces an extra g"

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Needs the Tribal supertype to have a creature type.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

President Ark posted:

i'm confused, is this "the first land that is tapped for mana produces an extra g" or "each land, when tapped for the first time, produces an extra g"

It should only be once per turn. Otherwise it would be ridiculous. I just wanted to make a land that can add a mana each turn but needs another land to do it. This should make it work properly:

This is basically the same thing but restricts it to green:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

revised

Anshu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think you might be overvaluing the drawback of exert.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lack of Bear posted:

It should only be once per turn. Otherwise it would be ridiculous. I just wanted to make a land that can add a mana each turn but needs another land to do it. This should make it work properly:

This is basically the same thing but restricts it to green:

I don't think I'm following. In the case of the first card, why would I not just play a forest?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Lack of Bear posted:

I think you might be overvaluing the drawback of exert.

Yeah, that got away from me a little. Revising.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It is better than a forest because you can get mana on your turn and your opponents turns, but the drawback is that you need another untapped land to use it.

It is probably not worth the weird wording but I keep trying to make the idea work in my head.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 3, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lack of Bear posted:

It is better than a forest because you can get mana on your turn and your opponents turns, but the drawback is that you need another untapped land to use it.

It is probably not worth the weird wording but I keep trying to make the idea work in my head.

This plus Chromatic Lantern is infinite mana on turn 3 for any deck, and there are probably other, colored ways to make it happen even faster.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Fixed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:hmmyes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm always a fan of those humble workhorse commons and uncommon that you always snatch up when drafting, then get slipped into a bulk box to never be seen again. They deserve more love.

The rest of the cycle shouldn't be hard to figure out. Uncommon to be a decent fixing land in limited for three-color decks, legendary and with requirements to keep it from being just straight-up better than Gates, etc.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 4, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Submissions:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Crater of Karakas is such a cool combination of references.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

I uploaded a couple of these already but I wanted to show my attempt at making a little cycle. Each shard commanders based on a legendary creature.

I didn't include the tribal supertype when I made this card the first time, so here it is, with the tribal supertype.

Also another one.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 6, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:eyepop:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That's a rad card, not gonna lie. Wish I had that idea.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I like it, but its gotta be broken as hell right?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The latest set in Runeterra came up with a mechanic called Deep for their pirate faction. It reminded me of Shelldock Isle. So here's a similarly themed Rare cycle of Deep lands.

It's intentional that the only one that doesn't sacrifice itself is the Kelp. I couldn't settle on a cost for the Blue and Red lands either, but 1U and RR seem like they'd work?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I searched for this card's name on gatherer, but apparently there isn't a card named Mana Forge yet? Seems weird.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i didn't specify when this contest ends, so I'm going to say it ends 3 hours from now, 7PM est.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

contest is closed, getting the results up once I finish this monster train run shortly

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Monster Train is so good.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Results!

The So good it's bad placements (these are things I wish could work, but are ultimately too good)

quote:

quote:

These all place here for basically the same reason: It is very above-rate for a land to tap for two mana without some sort of serious drawback (usually bouncing or sacrificing other land(s)). I like the concepts behind a lot of these (especially Isle of the Phelddagrif!) but they're just too good, to the point that I could easily see decks that do not actually run these colors including them just because it's free ramp from the government.

quote:

This, on the other hand, scares me. I really love the idea of something that can be tapped in place of something else and "add <tap symbol>" is very cute, but I think it's too cute (it'll confuse people) and there's approximately a 100% chance this does something hilariously broken.

Honorable Mention 1 - Shabadu's Deeps cycle:

These are close, and I like the cycle and things that encourage you to play the long game. The problem is that there's a lot of ways to pull lands from your graveyard and at that point these are less "powerful ways to spend lands lategame" and more "powerful 0-mana enablers in self-mill decks that recur lands constantly to do degenerate stuff." I'd like these a lot more if they exiled themselves, or even if they always exiled instead of going to grave to make it harder to just play them by flushing your deck down the toilet by making you get them out 'legit' first.

Honorable Mention 2 - Irony Be My Shield's Burgeoning Oasis

I dig it. This directly compares to Evolving Wilds. On one hand, it's reusable out of the box; on the other hand, doing so is really slow (reusing EW with land recursion would be better); on the third mutant hand, it works well with untapping effects.

Third place - Pmush Perfect's Halloween Town

quote:

:yohoho: I love this, I love skeletons, I love the idea of lands that are aligned with specific creature tribes, and I love the idea of a cycle of lands tied to holidays. What else would we get - Christmas elves? Valentine's day plants?

Second Place - Anshu's cycle

This is a cool cycle. Solid. My one complaint is the wither treefolk would probably be really annoying to play against.

First place - Lack of Bear's "Shrine of the Godsire"

Grand slam, clear out of the park. This doesn't make a cycle easily, but you could easily extend this out to the other Alaran mechanics (esper - metalcraft/artifacts, bant - exalted/attacking alone, jund - devour/sacrifice, grixis - unearth/exiling from grave). I could see each doing something slightly different based on those requirements. And I love that of course as the center-green shard the Naya one would let you ramp more - I could see the others maybe giving bonus mana under the right circumstances, but this one lets you ramp (and in a way referencing the named card, even!) Love it.

Congratulations Lack of Bear!

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 8, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Proud to have made too good, scary, and just right.

This week with m21 spoilers coming out and with the recent bannings, a lot of people are talking about Teferi. So for the contest I was thinking we could make

Teferi Themed Cards

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Teferi

Teferi is a blue white associated planeswalker who has been around Mirage. He comes from Zhalfir, studied at the Tolarian Academy, and has been a big part of a lot of Magic story. Cards representing his younger years are more based around mischief, while his later magic if focused around time manipulation

Mechanically, Teferi has been associated with phasing, card draw, untapping, and flash. You can either make a card representing Teferi himself, as a creature or planeswalker, or a spell he would possibly cast or permanent associated his story. Teferi cards are usually blue and white, but if you can justify it, surprise me.

Contest ends Sunday, June 14th, 11:59AM PST.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've got more ideas that need time in the tank but this one came to me instantly

VVV Fixed thanks VVV

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 8, 2020

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Shabadu posted:

I've got more ideas that need time in the tank but this one came to me instantly

You'd have to have them reveal their hand, not just look at it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is