Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kuiperdolin posted:

Too strong?
Even if you can only use one of the 4 each turn, you're still turning what's supposed to be a cost (discarding) into a benefit (mana ramp). Hell, even being one-use would still make them significantly better in certain decks than Simian Spirit Guide,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Throwin my hat in. Had this idea when I saw the art

A 3-mana repeatable Control Magic that can't be interacted with by non-Eldrazi? Seeeeeeems good.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ZeroCount posted:

A 3-mana repeatable Control Magic that can't be interacted with by non-Eldrazi? Seeeeeeems good.

Enh; that's a big drawback to get around for the initial cast and the 3C cost felt fair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Enh; that's a big drawback to get around for the initial cast and the 3C cost felt fair.
I'd say either CCCC, or an additional cost of discarding a card.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Attempt at nonbroken Panglacial Wurm effect. Vaguely resembles the Force of Will pitch cycle. Expanded when you can cast it so it can be used with scry and other weird things.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Lone Goat posted:

I think you want to force them to exile the card from hand so they're not accidentally Madness/renanimator enablers.

True true.

Yes, the art style for the green one is off. I could only look at so many drat nature sprites before I settled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Not Alex posted:

True true.

Yes, the art style for the green one is off. I could only look at so many drat nature sprites before I settled.

Instant speed Artifact destruction in Green is usually around CMC 2. Why is it 3 here?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Xelkelvos posted:

Instant speed Artifact destruction in Green is usually around CMC 2. Why is it 3 here?

All of those cards cost one mana more than the effect usually costs. It's still more than fair because these cards don't need to be maindecked.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All of those cards cost one mana more than the effect usually costs. It's still more than fair because these cards don't need to be maindecked.

This.

Also doesn't Tattered Heir need hidden agenda to function?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Not Alex posted:

This.

Also doesn't Tattered Heir need hidden agenda to function?

Hidden Agenda is just for hidden information stuff. "Secretly name a card as you start the game with this."

The Conspiracy type lets Tattered Heir start the game in the command zone.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 17, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You might want to give him a p/t

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You have One hour left.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One more silver-border just under the buzzer!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Entries are closed. Judging in progress. Great turnout!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Honourable mentions:
The Human Cruton's Cost of Greed. A zone so obscure they haven't made cards for it in well over twenty years, good catch.
Pmush Perfect's Rediscovered Knowledge. That's a beautiful cantrip with fun synergy potential.
ZeroCount's Fickle Intruder. Cute and versatile, pester your opponent or just make it even more annoying a blocker than a Licid.

3rd:

Whee. Prismatic Omen loves this. With a little setting up, it's a beautiful toolbox, although being mandatory complicates matters. Good use of the trigger, fun with Genesis wave.
Lottery of Babylon scoops the bronze.

2nd:
I love the synergies with this! Hoses blink and flicker effects beautifully, adds a twist of the knife to oblivion ring and its descendants, and has an on-tribe thing with Faceless Butcher. Turns Eternal Scourge, Misthollow Griffin and Torrent Elemental into token engines.
Nebalebadingdong earns the silver.

1st:
Always available, but you still need to get the mana for it, tricky in almost any draft. Really fun protection ability, which almost always gives it protection from You but only after it's swung for 8. Brilliant use of the zone and card type.
Congratulations, Lottery of Babylon!

Spreadsheet updated.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Someday LoB is gonna sweep 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in one of these things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think most of us deliberately avoid giving him more than one slot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

I think most of us deliberately avoid giving him more than one slot.

He's gotten more than one slot on several occasions, and he's not the only one. (I've been bracketed a fair few times by one person.) To be honest, I ranked the entries before double checking whose they were.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I've been playing the Yu-Gi-Oh game on Steam a lot lately, so I wrote up a bunch of other entries but they were all basically trying to use the sideboard as an Extra Deck for XYZ Dragon Cannon-style fusions and it was peak Yu-Gi-Oh trainwreck design and let's just say there's a reason I didn't post any of them. At best, they were just a way of making DFC-style designs in a product without DFC's.

I guess Meld cards basically did that fusion mechanic but in a non-stupid way. I'm glad they were able to take a bad mechanic and find a good way of implementing it.

In fact...

:siren: Rehabilitate a Mechanic :siren:

Some mechanics develop a reputation as problematic. Are they too powerful? Too weak? Too frustrating to play against? Too fiddly? Too complex? Too weird? Too underdeveloped? Too pointless? Depends not only on the mechanic but also on who you ask. But one way or another, there are some mechanics that go down in history as mistakes.

But that doesn't mean they can't be salvaged.

Maybe the mechanic can be rewritten to be more balanced. Maybe the mechanic can be made more elegant and given a clearer purpose. Maybe the mechanic is actually fine, provided that the cards using it are designed in a particular way. One way or another, a lot of mechanics that are looked down on today had interesting and worthwhile ideas behind them, and there's a lot of good design space to be found in those ideas if the kinks in the original mechanic can be ironed out.

Pick a mechanic that doesn't have a good reputation, and design three cards showing me how you would fix that mechanic in a new set. You don't have to use the original keyword (if there even was one), but it has to be clear that you're drawing on the same general concept, and if you can use the original keyword then that's great too.

To give you ideas, a list of keywords can be found here. Obviously not every mechanic is bad enough to need fixing, not every bad mechanic can be fixed, and not every mechanic has a keyword associated with it, but that might at least spark some ideas.

Entries close Saturday, August 26th at 9pm EST.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obligatory Banding fix rebranding. Setting it up as a counterpart to Exalted, and a sister to Battle Cry. Potentially provides a lot more P/T, but I figure it balances out alright because it's got (what was supposed to be) the Infect Problem, that it's a keyword that ends up on a rare few creatures, unless put on manually.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 18, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think I'll be the only person in this thread to touch megamorph.

Here the player has different options on different turns.

For having been morphed, this creature is now actually different than a regularly cast creature in a more meaningful way than just getting a +1/+1 counter.

Effects that happen upon a card turning face up are nice, but now the player has the option to turn a card face up to use its face up stats while waiting for the right time to use the ability.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 20, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
What's in a name?

Imagine a reality where the Ambush mechanic was known by a world-specific name, from an unpopular world. A name which would have precluded its return, and eventual evergreen status.

A reality where the Mardu raiders of Tarkir had to look elsewhere for their nomadic horde surprise attacks.

A place where Planeswalkers didn't fear Ornithopters or bird tokens.

A world where cats didn't pounce on their prey.

Sometimes, all that holds a mechanic back is what you call it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I want to see a version of Clash that you can build around properly without being in blue. One where they do something with it.

One that's useful in limited.

One with some real pros and cons.

One with some kick.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Landwalk, revisited.

Old landwalk was cool but swingy; it punished decks for playing a specific color, with little recourse. This one punishes deck archetypes across the colors, or asks you to do some work, and gives the enemy an out beside "don't play color X."

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/storm-scale-khans-tarkir-block-2016-02-29
Here's a Maro article talking about individual mechanics, might help people get ideas! (including me)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't really have an excuse for this.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
manaburn's back baby!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That's loving beautiful, man. Beautiful.

I can't top that, but I might as well show some of my stuff.

My main problem with radiance was that it was all unequivocal upside, all the time, except that sometimes your opponent gets to eat some of your loving lunch for no good reason. I tried addressing this by making it slightly more build-around and flexible. You can give your team a boost at a critical moment, or gently caress over your opponent's strategy by altering his board math.

A strict reading of Offering's official rules text means it can apply to more than just creature subtypes. It can also apply to any super types or non-creature subtypes, as well as color identity.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
completing the rarity cycle I guess

e: powered it up a bit

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Same.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Honorable Mentions

PMush Perfect's Banding: The mechanic you've presented here is perfectly serviceable, and while incredibly parasitic it would work fine as a block mechanic like Slivers, Allies, and Infect. I do think it loses something from the original, though -- creatures with banding could form bands with anyone, but these can only form bands with other creatures with banding. Banding was also an evergreen mechanic, and I can't see something this parasitic being evergreen, so it can't fully take Banding's place.

Veyrall's Offering: I like the idea of extending Offering to other qualities and other card types, and the kill spell takes advantage of the instant speed nature of Offering to showcase what Offering can do that Emerge wouldn't do better. Unfortunately, I'm a stickler for the rules, and the official definition of Offering specifies that it applies to subtypes, not to arbitrary types. Of course, you could always amend the rules to make it work here, much like how other people invented or rewrote keywords, but your claim that it already works bothers me because I'm weird that way.

The Human Crouton's Megamorph: This does some nice things that Megamorph doesn't, but almost all of them could be done by Morph alone. Megamorph has essentially been changed from a keyword to an ability word here, doing something different on each card, which opens a lot of design space but leaves it feeling inelegant.

Kuiperdolin's Landwalk variants: Landwalk is dumb and these are all really nice cards, but there isn't a clear mechanic to draw from them, just a loose theme of unblockability that cares about lands somehow.

PMush Perfect's Clash: Every time the players clash, both their hand sizes go down by one. That seems like a huge design flaw to me. Original Clash was kinda nice to have around because it gave everyone free scrying to fix their draws, so in formats with Clash you had good hands; in formats with this Clash, both player's hands will instead be emptied over trivial effects. You're also now effectively giving colors other than black discard effects, and at instant speed with low mana cost. What hurts is that I feel you missed a trick here, because with one simple tweak this mechanic would become amazing: let both players draw a card afterward. Now Clash isn't draining the players' hands, it's handing out free cycling/looting to sculpt your hand, fulfilling the original Clash's function but in a way that makes it possible to build around. If you'd included that simple change, I would have named this the contest winner.

Third Place

Nebalebadingdong's Manaburn: I really love the inventiveness of turning mana burn from a core game mechanic into a set keyword. Unfortunately, there's still the underlying problem with mana burn: in 99% of games it never happens anyhow. The higher rarity cards can try to make it happen, but without them around to force it, the commons may as well not have their Manaburn abilities at all, and when the commons can't stand alone, that's a sign that something is amiss. Making it functional just seems too clunky to me. I'm still putting it in my top three because even if it's a little clunky, you still made it work, and making mana burn of all things work is clever and impressive.

Second Place

AJ_Impy's Ambush: It's been remarked many times before that the only problem with Ninjutsu is its name, but your implementation here is really nice. The first strike + combat trick on-hit is a clever design, and I love pouncekat. I wouldn't have picked Ninjutsu for an evergreen mechanic even with a different name, but you make me believe it.

First Place

Veyrall's Radiance: Now this is cool. Original Radiance was basically "'creatures you control,' but clunky", so if you tried to wash the clunkyness away there wouldn't be a mechanic left. Going the opposite direction and embracing the misfire aspect makes this a very cool design. The cleverness of turning the worst part of Radiance into its main feature makes this my favorite entry of the week.

Congratulations Veyrall!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you'd included that simple change, I would have named this the contest winner.
:negative:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Congratulations Veyrall!
Awe, shucks, now I'm all bashful.

I also have to come up with a contest.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sheet updated. Some interesting tidbits:

Veyrall joins the ranks of the repeat winners, one of five on two wins.

Pmush has more honorable mentions at 18 than every player so honored once or twice combined.

My unrivaled collection of silver medals is only two short of Lottery of Babylon's ridiculous pile of gold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Alright, so I've been talking about Yu-Gi-Oh with some friends who quit the game, and it's got a lot of mechanics that sound like they could have been amazing but turned out to be underwhelming, like the different types of summoning, or creatures who attack the board or the deck instead of the other player.

So, for this contest, I want to find weird ways to jazz up the basic parts of the game that we've been taking for granted. Maybe a card that adds another main phase between blockers being declared and damage being calculated. Maybe a card that says you can exile it on your left, another that you can exile on the right, and lets you summon new creatures that can only be summoned when you have both sides filled.

You know, weird poo poo.

Deadline at September 10

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

"But I was just getting started!"