Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Form of the Saga or Saga of the Form
Enchantment - Saga
I - Create a form enchantment token. You are that token
II - Wait, that doesn't work. Do it over
III - Ok, no this time I've got it, seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Several months ago, I challenged Mystic Mongol to make a rubik's cube.

Mystic Mongol posted:

What was the challenge again?

Ah, I'm sure this is fine.

It greatly delighted me! While we wait for this contest to wind down, I thought I'd share my own version that I came up with a few days ago

e: accidentally posted an old design

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 3, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lots of great contribution. I did not expect the thread to go that far afield. Many submissions fulfilled the "change the rules of the game", but fewer really had a transformation flavor (as opposed to a regular enchantment). I think complexity creep was a problem for some; I found myself more excited by some short, to-the-point cards (which did not mean they did not have complex, far-reaching potential impact).

Honourable mentions :
Lone Goat's Form of the Goat

The only submission to follow the classic "Form of the [creature type]" template (Form of a goblin and Form of the Fungusaur were close). Nice and clean, I get it (I'd never play it, though). The rub is that while eating objects is a real-world stereotype about goats, Magic has not gone there so far. Maybe a bit too silly for black border.

Lack of Bear's Verdant Transformation :

Becoming mana? That's a cool concept, and very green.

Third Place :
Eeevil's Form of the Titan:

Titan's not a creature type, but it could have been. This immediately brings to mind the 6/6 M11 Titans, and does of good job of representing being a big, imposing creature throwing your weight around on the battlefield.

Second Place :
Gorp's Form of Lightning

Become the lightning! I give it a slight edge over Xelada's Form of Flame (which was podium-worthy too) because it has some mechanical resonance (you become an instant) in addition to the flavour.

First Place :
Xelada's Vampiric Transformation

The moment I saw this I had a hunch it would be the winner. Two simple effects that are both classic black and completely resonate with the well-established tribe. This card truly feels like being a vampire, embracing the power... and the thirst.

Congratulations Xelada.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 3, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Honourable mentions :
Lone Goat's Form of the Goat

The only submission to follow the classic "Form of the [creature type]" template (Form of a goblin and Form of the Fungusaur were close). Nice and clean, I get it (I'd never play it, though). The rub is that while eating objects is a real-world stereotype about goats, Magic has not gone there so far. Maybe a bit too silly for black border.

Technically it should've been Form of the Atog (or Gremlin, I guess) but atog is an anagram of goat and I gotta stay on-brand.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. The gold and silver were claimed by new entries.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lone Goat posted:

Technically it should've been Form of the Atog (or Gremlin, I guess) but atog is an anagram of goat and I gotta stay on-brand.

:doh: can't believe I never saw it before.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Plays on both sides
Cards with "target" can theoretically apply to anything that fits the target type, but most are intended to only target one side, I mean, you could have your Tim ping himself, or Giant Growth one of your opponent's creatures, but outside of really janky strategies you are unlikely to do either of those.
On the other hand cards like Path of Exile and Flicker are good cards to use on your own creatures, or your opponent's, depending on the context.

So here's the challenge: Make (a) card(s) where there are good reason to target things on your side AND good reason to target things on your opponent's side

Deadline: April 11, noon BST (ish)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Neat! I'm going to make a cycle of uncommons. Here are some placeholders:

Blue
U
Instant
Return target creature to its owner's hand. Its controller draws a card.

Red
R
Instant
~ deals 5 damage to target creature. Its controller draws a card.

White
W
Instant
Destroy target attacking or blocking creature. Its controller draws a card.

Green
G
Instant
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Its controller draws a card.

Black
B
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature or planeswalker. That player draws a card.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I would push my traitor mechanic again but it wasn't received well.
Do they have to be targeting spells or can they enter under opponents control?

On an aside, this is literally a Yu-gi-oh card.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 4, 2018

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

The ultimate was the first thing I thought of.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 4, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I think WotC doesn't like these kinds of cards the more I think about it.
Berserk is the ideal green card to "make" for this contest and they like to pretend it never happened.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 4, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

The Gorp posted:

I would push my traitor mechanic again but it wasn't received well.
Do they have to be targeting spells or can they enter under opponents control?

On an aside, this is literally a Yu-gi-oh card.

What sort of format would you anticipate this for? Because in limited, this represents milling more than half a deck over five mana. If opponent keeps 7 then they're down to just nine cards on turn 3.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
The first card is inspired/stolen from another card I saw somewhere, probably this thread. So it's out of the competition, it's just super cool, I think. The other two are good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Neat contest!

Back to Basics
1G/U
Uncommon
Instant
Target creature has no ability text until end of turn. (Any variables in its power/toughness become 0.)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Gorp posted:

I think WotC doesn't like these kinds of cards the more I think about it.

Sea Legs is literally in the most recent set

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A nice Persecute/Mind Sludge/Eureka/Dramatic Entrance/Fastbond mashup.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Melt Into Ooze
BG
Instant
Rare
Destroy target creature. If you do, that creature's controller creates X black and green 1/1 Ooze creature tokens, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PMush Perfect posted:

Melt Into Ooze
BG
Instant
Rare
Destroy target creature. If you do, that creature's controller creates X black and green 1/1 Ooze creature tokens, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.

you've been making lots of ooze stuff lately. is there something you're not telling us????

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

you've been making lots of ooze stuff lately. is there something you're not telling us????

PMush's Secret
BUW
Enchantment - Aura
Special
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player reveals a custom card, if it is an Ooze card, that player gains 2 life. Otherwise, they lose 2 life.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

Melt Into Ooze
BG
Instant
Rare

Um...

Er...

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 4, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Shame planeswalkers don't have as convenient templating as "Haste."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Not Alex posted:

You can template it as "you may activate the loyalty abilities of that planeswalker twice this turn rather than only once" and then you get a bonus activation if your opponent hasn't already activated their PW when you use it

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
I'm actually trying to avoid the double activation for enemy walkers. Don't want it to be too easy to minus them to death. Plus the double is supposed to be the incentive to target your own walker.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Seems red, not blue

Also, I think it should let you target creatures too. Planeswalker only cards are way too narrow to actually print into a set.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Not Alex posted:

It's a sorcery. There are exceptionally few means of activating a planeswalker off turn. Otherwise you can use the Chain Veil's wording."you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whoops.

Okay that second one is absurdly overcosted if the controller makes the tokens, but point taken with the first one.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PMush Perfect posted:

Whoops.

Okay that second one is absurdly overcosted if the controller makes the tokens, but point taken with the first one.

second one you (the caster of the spell) get the tokens regardless of whose creature it is.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I am still stuck in transformation mode.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What sort of format would you anticipate this for? Because in limited, this represents milling more than half a deck over five mana. If opponent keeps 7 then they're down to just nine cards on turn 3.

If giving up turns 2-3 in terms of board presence and drawing your opponent four cards is worth the cost.
Specifically in limited where you won't run into multiple copies of this most likely, it seems fine. Unless games in that format go on for 15 turns or more.

With that said I only play constructed and mill is historically a limited bomb. See Hedron Crab.
Keeping that in mind your choice with mill cards would be "Never print them" or "accept the fact that they will ruin drafts or be useless".

I guess I could tone it down.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 5, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

that card is extremely strong and would see modern and probably legacy play

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I see it as equatable to Mind Funeral or Sign in Blood.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Both sides you say ?

(I know it doesn't work with the rules as they are.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

Both sides you say ?

(I know it doesn't work with the rules as they are.)
I think it would work if you transformed it, locked it into that form, then made a copy?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Not really sure if this is the right cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Gorp posted:

I see it as equatable to Mind Funeral or Sign in Blood.

If you're not playing a combo deck(and maybe even if you are) this card is basically 1B draw 2 Flashback 2BBB. You might not want to play the full four copies in your deck but the first two are pretty far above rate