Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

That's funny I almost suggested draw two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nightmare Leash
3BU
Enchantment - Aura
Rare
Enchant creature
When Nightmare Leash enters the battlefield, choose a player.
Chosen player controls enchanted creature.
At the beginning of their end step, the chosen player loses life equal to enchanted creature's power.

Has this been done? And would control return to its owner when the enchantment is destroyed? The formatting is hard. Simple effects with hard to word rules are The Best.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 8, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

And would control return to its owner when the enchantment is destroyed?

No. For that you need something like:

Enchant creature
When Bloodcurse Command enters the battlefield, choose a player.
Chosen player controls enchanted creature.
At the beginning of each of its controller's end steps, enchanted creature deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll use that, thanks.

Edit: I realize controlling creatures isn't really in black's identity. Maybe it should be UR?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I could see it in UR or UB or UBR. If you have B in there you could switch it to loss of life.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like either UB or RB, because even if mind control isn't in black, the idea of "here, have this 'gift'" absolutely is. I think I'll do UB.

Edit: Done. And I get to reference an existing card, too!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 8, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ensalve is a black mind control at least

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

There is also Soul Ransom

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

i made the big no-no of having hexproof + indestructible

Lker fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 10, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

(Idea sparked by the card in the previous post.)

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 10, 2018

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Dude, this is best Pongify

And it's nuts with indestructible creatures! Super cool.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So a sorcery version of soul separator

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Yeah it is a sorcery version of soul separator that hits a creature on the board instead and separates it between two players.

You can steal/donate a creature's soul or their body.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

edit: changed to the way it should obviously work!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 11, 2018

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
And that's time up. (sorry, meant to do this at noon, stuff happened here we are)
Results coming soon.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
So, xelada, can we get an update on when the results will be posted?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Is there a protocol when a judge is unable to post results?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is there a protocol when a judge is unable to post results?

Suicide pact.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let's at least give him a couple days before we talk about revolution. Meatspace is an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

We spent a whole fuckin week waiting for the last guy, give this one at least a day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For future reference, though, I'd probably set up a quick and dirty Google poll.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
An elaborate tournament, involving only home made cards from previous contests to determine the next judge is the only way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, some kind of "use only cards you've submitted previously" contest would be interesting, since 'recycled' designs tend to be pretty much dead in the water most of the time. The main issues are what the theme would be, and how new people would contribute.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Sorry for taking longer than expected, IRL stuff happened. Although I have to admit another part of it was that there where so many amazing cards that it was hard to narrow it down, I kept on adding, removing, moving, and re-moving cards, I'm sure if I where to do it again in a few days I'd have a completely different set. So don't be too disheartened if you didn't win.
Honourable Mentions:
I tend to like cycles, especially when it is clear that all cards are part of the cycle; unfortunately it is very common for such cycles to result in cards that wouldn't work separate from the cycle and/or the cards that feel too similar.

I agree with MartianAgitator, this fits the tribe and colour well, unfortunately it feels like the target player effect is a little secondary to me.

I'm going to be honest, I picked this card partially for the name, it also fits the theme and seems like a vaguely usable card, honestly the only reason this didn't get a podium position was that there where so many other amazing cards.

Third

I love how simple and versatile this card is, it can fit in so many different decks and can be useful against plenty of others.

Second

I love how much room this card has to cause a massive swing, regardless of who it targets it can potentially be used to massively turn the tide, and in either direction, I can see it being what results in someone's wincon coming into play, I can also see someone being hoisted by their own petard in so many different ways.

First

There is nothing about this card I don't love: I love how the name and art are so evocative it is; I love the flavour text, which is both the best and funniest of any submitted to me; I love that the more you think about it, the more ways to use it come to mind.

Congrats The Gorp

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Thanks a ton! I'm all riled up so I'm going to get right into it.

Contest Theme: The Pie Must Die

Hey guys, remember this card?

Fairies used to be green before a certain block made them blue/black and had them dominate everything. The justification was that fae live in the deepest untouched parts of nature and protect it through trickery, even if mechanically it's a completely blue creature. The page long discussion over one of my cards got me contemplating cards like this for longer than it should. The contest theme is this: Create a card that blatantly ignores the color pie mechanically, but justifies itself through flavor. The mono-color player that burns within me insists that the pie exists to be (occasionally) broken!

Other examples of these types of cards include....

Using red mana to halt an advance by creating thick smoke.

Taxing mana itself as a means to prevent casting a spell.

Faking a drowning for a clever tactical advantage.

Forcing someone to choose between paying with their flesh or their time.

Forcing a threatening entity back into nature, where it belongs.

Cards will be judged on flavor and general playability. Give the colors mechanics that they normally have to splash into multicolored decks for.
Contest ends Saturday 4-21 at 6pm MST.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 13, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BREAK MAGIC THROUGH ANGER! :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OP (finally) updated!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Janky red enchantments are the best part of Magic. This is AWESOME.

So, I kinda made a bunch of these already. Let me start off with a bad one:

Fateseal is only on two cards and they are both blue. This felt like very low-hanging fruit. I kept banging my head trying to put fateseal on a cool white card, or a green one like Sylvan Library or something, but totally blew it. I just wanna bring attention to fateseal because I think it has some cool space that some brighter goon can do something cool with.

Edit: found it right after I posted this. She's the evil queen of fairies, so she transforms, she seduces, and she dooms you forever, in none of those colors.

So Doomblade doesn't target black creatures because...they are already doomed? Black is parasitic and back-biting, I don't get it. The Earth Opens exiles chumps by throwing them into the center of the earth, and of course it can't target red creatures because they are the only ones with the reflexes to get out of the way.

This started as green-shifted Journey to Nowhere because that card is weird. Who actually gets lost by falling down some random bottomless pit? People in Zendikar, maybe. Ozzie Smith in that one episode of the Simpsons. But cmon, if you are going to get lost forever in Western mythology, where do you go? The Dark Woods.

Began life as black Veteran Bodyguards. In order to make it feel black (and make the card suck less) I wanted them not just to protect you from combat damage, but also let you use their toughness as a resource to replace you paying life for, e.g., Necropotence, Sign in Blood, or whatever. Seemed like a Thrull thing to do, and the white/black nature of thrulls meant that you could heal it, too. And then torture it some more! The name sucks, I know, but so does Scapegoat Thrull, Expiative Thrull, Sacrificial Thrull, Bitch Thrull, Algesis-Resonant Thrull...if you have a better name, let me know.

The artifact cascade ability is probably more broken than the regular cascade ability, I don't know. I thought it was neat and wanted to explore it. It's clearly blue, or blue-red, or maaaaybe white. And there's a universe very nearby ours where it's red. I couldn't ever see it being green. Black probably has the fewest interactions with artifacts of all the colors, outside of Antiquities (Phyrexian Gremlins and Xenic Poltergeist represent!), so here it is in black.

This guy is so clearly a red orcish warlord, I love it. But it makes total sense reskinned. He has first strike not because he's got a giant sword and wicked martial prowess, but because he's a living nightmare that can always strike you from dark corners you could never expect. He's got firebreathing not because he's a crazy berserker but because terrifying visions get more power the more fear they inspire. And instead of summoning orcish warriors that disband after combat, he gathers evil shades that discorporate as soon as you stop looking at them.

To avoid damage, blue jukes it. It disappears, runs away, or is never there to begin with. Or is just untargetable! Blue doesn't prevent damage in real-time. But what if it did? Well, blue could do that by just blasting as much raw magic at it as possible.

Green and white don't get much haste. What would motivate little green creatures to haul rear end? What if their Psychic God Empress was pushing Fallen Empires-style Saprolings to wildly tear down civilization in an orgiastic frenzy, and willingly sacrifice their mindless lives to become the mulch that will grow the next generation of zealots? Conviction fuels the ever-hastening cycle. Faith and harmony. Green and white. And a cool EDH general.

No picture; I wanted to see if the flavor text alone can sell it. Goblin Advisor best creature type.

I hate playing against permission decks. This card is the epitome of blue draw-go. Blue's not supposed to gain life. How would blue gain life? Pure. loving. Smugness.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 13, 2018

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

If I'm reading it right, the second ability on this card does absolutely nothing, because Covetous Aether-Lich isn't actually on the field when you're casting the card off of cascade.

Also, Alara block had black do a ton with artifacts, because Esper is a place that exists. Even now, Black still cares a lot about artifacts, considering the artifact Planeswalker is UB.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god that's clever

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Normally a white effect, but what better way to distract than with a burning goblin? (is there any problem that can't be solved by setting a goblin on fire?)

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obligatory recycled entry.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. Judges, please put the creator's name with the card they made when judging.

If we're going to break the pie, let's really break the pie. Plausible monogreen Wrath.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 14, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Needs a "Then" for proper templating, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Similar to PM's Pay In Blood above, though it's a riff on Unsummon rather than countering a spell.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 14, 2018