Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Or if you want to follow the fetchland "do whatever the hell we want with land colors" style:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So, does the flame counter make the forest a copy of this card? If so, this will exponentially set all your forests on fire.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gynovore posted:

So, does the flame counter make the forest a copy of this card? If so, this will exponentially set all your forests on fire.

My intention was that "This ability may only occur once per turn." restricted all of them to once per turn. I might try and clarify it a bit.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I know that one of these should be the other way around to make the cycle work, but flood counters and mire counters already exist and I like the flavor.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 24, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

A middle ground between 'enters the battlefield tapped', widely regarded as too weak, and the original duals, regarded as too strong. You can get mana right away but you have to wait for fixing.

Spreadsheet updated.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 24, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

That gave me an idea for some snowshocks:

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 24, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That's basically a worse Tendo Ice Bridge/Aether Hub, right?

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It still adds the mana without the counter. The counter is just there as the band-aid that you have to rip off to use it for colors the first time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lack of Bear posted:

It still adds the mana without the counter. The counter is just there as the band-aid that you have to rip off to use it for colors the first time.

Ah yeah, missed that.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Obligatory-repost.jpg

I actually did a whole cycle of them, I just never found art for all of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pretend I made the whole cycle, they're too mechanically similar for me to care that much about finishing a cycle when the concept is obvious.

Burgeoning Badlands, Bubbling Bayou, Promising Plateau, Spreading Savannah, Sprouting Scrubland, Turbulent Taiga, Thriving Tropics, Tranquil Tundra, Subterranean Sea, Volatile Volcano

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

In a slight time crunch so this is just a starting mockup, but I'm sure you know where this is going.

First part of the name taken from fetches, and the pattern is to follow (ex. Windswept Isle/Wood/Peak/[Bog/Fern, not sure yet]).
I picked these two to demonstrate the difference from the UW Plains one and the UW Island one

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
I'm surprised they didn't do something like this when they brought transform back, might be a little underpowered for rare lands though. (pretend this is a cycle)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BaiSha posted:

I'm surprised they didn't do something like this when they brought transform back, might be a little underpowered for rare lands though. (pretend this is a cycle)

It should ETB tapped, otherwise it's just straight-up better than a basic.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 26, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This one should probably also tap for C, otherwise it's just totally worthless.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:THE RESULTS:siren:
This was tougher to judge than I expected it to be. Apologies for not putting up the winner last night.

Honorable mention
Pseudoscorpion's Hedron of Order:

This needs a "may" in its triggered ability, but I liked it. The only thing that kept it from placing is that it felt more like limited fixing than a rare dual land. You wouldn't want this thing in most constructed environments. There were a few designs that I thought were neat, but felt like they'd be straight-up better than basic lands.

Lack of Bear's Steamworks

I really liked this card as a way to make tournament-viable charge land duals. The templating is a little off, but it's a solid design.

Third Place
Eeevil's Jungle Sanctuary:

This one wins the award for the land I could most see getting printed in a future set. It's very clean and strong. It's also a little boring, and feels a bit too close to the Theros Scrylands.

Second Place
Capfalcon's Forest Aflame:

I really loved this conceptually, and I liked the addition of the blue mana to "quench" a forest. The only knock against it was that it's really complicated, templated like a hybrid card (it doesn't seem to actually be red and green), and the ability still doesn't quite work. I'd have worded it as "forests with aflame counters on them have "T: Add R to your pool and this land deals 1 damage to you" and some reminder text like "These lands continue to burn after ~ leaves the battlefield." Still, a great attempt and probably the most interesting entry in this contest.

First Place
PMush Perfect's Cannibal Copse

I don't care that it's a re-entry, it's a neat idea. The creature cost for initial play is pretty steep, but keeps this from being too powerful as-is. It was reaaaaaaaaal close between this and Forest Aflame. Congrats, PMush!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot:

I'll have something up in a bit.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Second Place
Capfalcon's Forest Aflame:

I really loved this conceptually, and I liked the addition of the blue mana to "quench" a forest. The only knock against it was that it's really complicated, templated like a hybrid card (it doesn't seem to actually be red and green), and the ability still doesn't quite work. I'd have worded it as "forests with aflame counters on them have "T: Add R to your pool and this land deals 1 damage to you" and some reminder text like "These lands continue to burn after ~ leaves the battlefield." Still, a great attempt and probably the most interesting entry in this contest.

Thanks! I agree with all of that, especially how wordy it ended up being. My only thought is that I liked the idea of making all your forests painlands. It made the fire feel more out of your control than if you could still tap them for Green mana normally, while still being something that a crazy pyromancer might do to get more power. I think if I were redoing it, I'd drop the part where you get burned if you run out of forests.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Snow Permanents!
A mechanic that wasn't used much outside of a couple of not-great sets. Let's see if y'all can do better! Make snow permanents, spells that care about snow permanents, or a spell or permanent that uses snow mana.

Contest ends Monday, September 3rd, 11:59 PM, PST.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 2, 2018

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Will mock up shortly:

Hoarfrost Elemental X2RR
Snow Creature - Elemental [Mythic Rare]
When Hoarfrost Elemental enters the battlefield, each player chooses X lands they control. Put a frost counter on each of those lands.
Lands with frost counters on them are Snow lands with "T: Add {C}" and "{S}, {T}: Add one mana of any color." (They lose all other abilities)
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player may remove a frost counter from a land they control.
3/3

black potus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 27, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

prob easier to make it "cast this spell only during the end step" rather than how it's written now.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
You could probably just specify "Cast ~ only during the postcombat main phase or end step." The earlier you can have players cast it, the better, since it's gonna cause memory issues.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Cast only after combat.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Change it to simply "Each creature that dealt damage this turn"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Change it to simply "Each creature that dealt damage this turn"

That's pretty significantly different

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 28, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If we're going to have Snow mana be something other than a middling alternative cost, then Snow needs an identity. So, for me, the general idea of Snow permanents is the following:
Snow punishes non-Snow permanents rather than rewards Snow permanents.
Snow slow the game down, either by making it harder to attack, making spells cost more, or disabling permanents.
Snow likes making other things Snow.

And, while it's not technically part of the Snow identity, if you're not playing with Snow, you still need to be able to interact with it.

Finally, here's the big, flagship enchantment for Snow decks. The Ice Age itself.

(MTG Card Smith isn't cooperating, and doesn't recognize snow mana in the casting cost, so pretend all that white mana is actually snow).

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Re-entries from the Return to Ice Age challenge in thread 2.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

vvv :effort:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

you might want to rename

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You guys are right.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If your opponent is playing snow, then that's good for you. If your opponent isn't playing snow, then that is also good for you.

I designed this card around this picture that I found while searching for an image for my first card. I liked the idea of these two lost numbskulls eventually becoming badass snow creatures after turns and turns of freezing conditions and meager provisions.

I'll probably go back and edit this to cost 1U because it's too good as a tempo/removal card right now. It's not meant to be a good card anyway, so making it more expensive won't matter.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cumulative upkeep is pretty rough as it is.