Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I've always thought Savage Summoning was cool, but....

Savage Casting
G
Sorcery
Rare
~ can't be countered.
Add G. Spells cast with this mana can't be countered.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Make me any permanent type that can be played for a single mana. It can have other costs or ways to play it for more mana, but it must be fully playable at 1 mana on your first turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Capfalcon posted:

Looking for some art to use when I get home:

Forgetful Guard
W
Creature - Human Soldier
Uncommon
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Misplaced Sword. It has “Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike,” and equip 2.
0/2

lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought I was being cheeky, it lets you put down another permanent.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
ah poo poo, I have to make a permanent, huh

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hopefully, that was a "lol that is funny" as opposed to "lol how could you think that's a good idea.."

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
As a judge, I cannot comment

as a shitposter, i thought it was funny and it made me laugh :shobon:

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I've always thought Savage Summoning was cool, but....

Savage Casting
G
Sorcery
Rare
~ can't be countered.
Add G. Creature spells cast with this mana can't be countered.

That's pretty weak, I'd add on something fun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Edit: Did something cool.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

And here's the full card

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

And here's the full card

I like it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This made me wanna make a CMC1 'Walker. This is what I came up with.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 16, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

EDIT:

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 17, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Contest closes in a couple hours. Winners should be up before 9am

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Honorable Mention

I absolutely love what's going on the first half of this card. Wish the planeswalker was more interesting!

Third place

still lollin' and that is some great art you found!

Second Place

Elegant and holds potential throughout the game.

First Place

I love Goblin Guide and I love this variant. This is flavorful, useful and adorable. Nice work!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Alright! I think I'll give people a choice with this one.

It's very simple: Red or Blue?

You take the Blue Pill...

And you design a blue-black combat keyword. WOTC has been trying to come up with one for a while now, with middling success. Skulk was quite frankly a non-starter, and these days, Blue-black cards mostly seem to use block mechanics for their combat power. We're looking for something evergreen.

Or you take the Red.
And we do something a little nuts: Boros Control. What does a long-game Boros deck look like? Assemble the Legion is probably the closest thing we've had to a control finisher in Boros. But there's a lot that goes into why Boros control has issues. Boros simply has a lack of incremental advantage cards, good card draw, methods of slowing your opponents down. I'm interested in what people come up with to solve these problems.

:siren:Contest will go till 12 AM Saturday 29th :siren:

Good Luck!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can one person submit for both?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

PMush Perfect posted:

Can one person submit for both?

Sure, I'll accept multiple entries.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Boros likes lots of little dudes that join together into becoming an unstoppable wave of minions. It's pretty baked into the flavor of the guild and to the Red and White colors of the guild. Control, however, doesn't like one for one answers. It generates card advantage and wins by two or three for oneing.

So, when we're talking about a Boros control deck, we're talking about a deck that has to play lots of minions to gain card advantage, but also play them in such a way that they just don't end up making the Boros aggro/tempo decks a superior choice.

Boros Helix Sentinel
2RW
Creature - Human Soldier
R
Defender
When Boros Helix Sentinel enters or leaves the battlefield, deal two damage to target creature or player and gain two life.
0/2

As an added advantage, It likes getting cleared by White and Red board clears.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
awfully quiet over here

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

A recursive win condition that can be exiled, or can threaten being exiled, to control the board.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Prowess that triggers off mill, discard and kill spells.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 25, 2018

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

Tried to give them sortof "exile matters" theme since it was one of the things that both red and white did in a different way.

The thing is virtually triple white since it really wasn't a red card.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
When it comes to evergreen keywords, I think evergreen keywords have to do several things to be truly "evergreen". When designing a U/B combat mechanic, I tried to work around these restrictions.

1. Evergreen keywords are tools to help explain the basic rules of the game.

Most evergreen keywords can be explained simply as exceptions to basic rules of the game - this allows them to be used as tools to teach the game. For example: "A blocked creature stops all incoming damage that the attacking creature would do to you, unless the attacking creature has trample." Thus, a new player who reads the reminder text for a trample card in essence learns the rules regarding blocking, because they know that trample is the exception to that rule.

2. Evergreen keywords should make sense to only be printed on only a few cards in a set and thus should stand on their own.

Some evergreen keywords will skip sets or only be printed on one or two cards, so thus the keyword has to make sense in isolation.

3. Evergreen creature keywords should be able to be printed on a random card to slightly boost the power level without requiring changing the design of the card otherwise.

"First Strike" and "Vigilance" can be stapled onto a random rare to make the card better without significantly impacting the rest of the text box.

Truth be told I think the idea that U/B needs a combat keyword is kind of a box ticking exercise but Maro seems convinced that its something that needs to be solved.

Anywho, my first requirement is by far the hardest one to fulfill. There just aren't that many basic combat rules that are left to be explored, particularly in the combat rules. The two big ones that stood out to me were the fact that attackers/blockers must be assigned all at once and creatures not needing to tap to block. The former seemed far too complicated and fiddly (and not particularly deep design wise) but the latter seemed like a decent spot to work in. And thus the following mechanic was born.

Originally I had this being called 'paralyzing' but that sounded like it was an on-damage trigger. In a perfect world, this would be implemented as a rules change. Similar to how when cards are declared as attackers, they have to tap to attack (unless they have vigilance), Debilitating would be the opposite, where creatures have to tap to block Debilitating creatures. I found the flavor I went with the most was the idea of 'frost' for blue and of 'paralysis' for black.

A few more commons/uncommons for basic variants on the card.

And finally some uncommon/rare "payoff" cards.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Whoops missed my own deadline.

Seems unfair.

:siren: Contest Closes in 6 hours:siren:

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Red doesn't have many defensive 1-drops.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I am now a master of missing deadlines.

:siren: Contest Closed :siren:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
In retrospect, I'm glad I gave you guys a choice. UB combat keywords might be box-checking, as ChewyLSB said, but there's surprisingly little space to work with. There were more entries for RW control, and a number of very solid ideas and concepts put forward.

Honourable Mentions

Capfalcon's Boros Helix Sentinel

It's strange, but undeniably RW and built with control in mind. not sure I'd be willing to pay 4 for it, but a draft focused around RW control would probably be quite happy with it as a pick.

Exile for 4? Targeted, very conditional exile. Countering triggered abilities is blue, but I've made my feelings about blue and it's mechanic stealing/bloat clear for a while.
It will never be printed, but I'm interested, I'm also super interested in Accelerated Memory.

AJ_Impy posted:

Prowess that triggers off mill, discard and kill spells.

Prowess is already in the doghouse at WOTC, and this is... better? Conditionally. In general, mill happens for large enough numbers I wouldn't like to see this, but it's a solid attempt with a grain of something in there.

In third place,
Say hi to Cinder Wall's tiny cousin who does white things. He's Vent Sentinel's best pal.

In Second Place,
I'ma sucker for Royal Assassin, and debilitating is a strong mechanic with a lot of thought put into it.

Winner

by Lack of Bear
This is absolutely something I can see as a build-around archetype. the fact you have to pay mana for damage feels bad, but the alternative is very much an aggro card. this card could win a control matchup, and it comes down early enough to have a marked effect on the game against aggro decks. Well done, Lack of Bear.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Both options were a challenge to design for. I thought debilitating was a cool mechanic.

October is about to start, and that means it is time to get spooky

Spooky Scary Skeletons

Design a skeleton card, a skeleton tribal card, a card that makes skeletons or a skeleton themed card.

Bonus points for finding a way to add some interesting color or flavor.

Contest will end Sunday, October 7th at 12 Noon PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgFtxHhCQ0

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

An entry from last Halloween seems fitting.

Edit:

That last one could probably be a non-silver.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 30, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PMush Perfect posted:

An entry from last Halloween seems fitting.

i loved the poo poo out of this :allears:

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 1, 2018

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Here's a dumb idea inspired by undergrowth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eeevil posted:

Here's a dumb idea inspired by undergrowth:

Menace feels like it would be more fitting than trample, and more on-color.