Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Contest ends today at 5PM PST. Time to resolve the stack.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So Greed but it's harder to cast, but easier to activate when you are at 2 or less life.

Broken with Lich's Mastery though!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

So Greed but it's harder to cast, but easier to activate when you are at 2 or less life.

Broken with Lich's Mastery though!
It's hard to make a good "Greed but balanced".

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Honorable mention:

This card is really cool, but probably breaks everything. I have no idea how to cost this effect, and I feel like the text box or the rules reminders would have to be huge to account for the weird corner cases it creates. This is a card that would directly influence every future card printed with the word search on it.

3rd Place:

This is like information dealer on steroids! Wizards is a powerful tribe and I think this slots right in as either a commander or one of the 100.

2nd Place:

This is an interesting take on playing off the top card of your deck. I like how it is indirect and also reveals information. Bonus points for the adorable art.

1st Place:

This is a great way of giving red card draw. It encourages attacking even into trades and feels very red to me. I could see an effect like this being printed on an aggressive creature, maybe in multicolor.

AJ_Impy is this week's winner!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. There are now three posters on six wins, behind Lottery of Babylon's eight.

Limit Breaks

There are cards that have different modes which depend on certain game states. Usually but not always these game states are keyworded.

Your task, up until Wednesday December 12th at 23:59 UTC, is to come up with a novel mechanic or card along these lines, does something if you're below a value, does something much better above it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

e.:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 6, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is it bad that I heard the Fourze sound the Final Fantasy 7 sound?

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

This gave me an idea for a couple that I am not sure quite fit the contest:

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 6, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lack of Bear posted:

This gave me an idea for a couple that I am not sure quite fit the contest:

Can a Sorcery even be on the battlefield? Miracle X? What's X?

Edit for content:
Don't you wish equipment was more viable?

Armory Tower
Land
Rare
T: Add C.
T: Add CC. Activate this ability only if you control three or more Equipment.

Hunsen, Lord of Blades
3W
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Knight
Mythic Rare
4/3
~ and equipped creatures you control have first strike.
Arsenal - If you control three or more Equipment, ~ and equipped creatures you control have double strike instead.

Sharpen the Blade
1W
Instant
Common
Target creature gains +1/+0 and has first strike until end of turn.
Arsenal - If you control three or more Equipment, draw a card.

Whetstone
Artifact
Uncommon
T: Add C.
Arsenal - If you control three or more Equipment, creatures you control gain +1/+1.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 6, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

You know when you change a card 10 times and then the last change makes you blind to the rest of the card that is still messed up?

It was going to be miracle nonland but I saw that it is only an instant/sorcery thing. The X was because so many miracles have X discounts and I am still thinking about X cards. I know it is kind of weird and not really necessary.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
[changed below]

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 7, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Probably easier to just give them indestructible or even "prevent all damage done to ~ by creatures" (or even All Damage, Period) unless you specifically want them be killed by pingers or Niv Mizzet or something.

PMush Perfect posted:

It's hard to make a good "Greed but balanced".

Yeah but Greed is bad and you made it worse!

also:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I would love a leveler frame that didn't need a microscope if you want more than just a couple keywords.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Probably easier to just give them indestructible or even "prevent all damage done to ~ by creatures" (or even All Damage, Period) unless you specifically want them be killed by pingers or Niv Mizzet or something.

Yes, this is what I wanted to do. I left the option to remove them via ways other than combat damage on purpose. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

Also, I went ahead and made these cards a cycle:

(Anton, the red one, was modified from the previous version.)

VVV Ooooohhhhhhh, right. I'm dumb, and I didn't get it when Lone Goat pointed it out, until you said it explicitly. Welp. Changed the wording (and changed the wording of Sylvia a bit too).

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 7, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Mikl posted:

Yes, this is what I wanted to do. I left the option to remove them via ways other than combat damage on purpose. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

Also, I went ahead and made these cards a cycle:

(Anton, the red one, was modified from the previous version.)

"Prevent all combat damage dealt to ~" is the traditional rules wording for what you're looking for.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Changing my previous entry to make a keyword ability for a cycle

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm not really a fan of using different ability words to describe the same thing; the point of ability words is to give people mental shortcuts and they don't serve that purpose if each one is different.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hm, I see what you mean. Maybe something a la Metalcraft? Something like this:

Lone Watchman -- as long as you control no other creature, (effect).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's got an interesting combo/nonbo with Exalted, depending on how you build that, too, which is cool.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

There's no good reason for this to not just have "deathtouch" without 15 other words around it. (flavour is not a good reason)

Mikl posted:

Hm, I see what you mean. Maybe something a la Metalcraft? Something like this:

Lone Watchman -- as long as you control no other creature, (effect).

Even just Loner -- would be fine.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

There's no good reason for this to not just have "deathtouch" without 15 other words around it. (flavour is not a good reason)

Even just Loner -- would be fine.

You're right on both counts. There's a tiiiiiiiny bit of difference between the wording I had and having simply "deathtouch", namely in that whenever it's subject to a "x fights target creature" effect (as either x or as the target) deathtouch doesn't activate, but it's an outside case that would come up maybe once in every hundred games.

Here's the updated cards, I'd actually made them earlier today but Imgur was being an rear end.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

This being an instant is weird, since haste isn't going to be much use on your opponent's turn. Also, it's doing two drastically different things between its modes and your opponent can screw up your plans if they draw a card in response to this. Maybe make the On Edge rider be a You May?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also seems like an unintuitive card - you can use it as a Goryo's Vengeance but you mostly have to do it in your opponent's end step.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

On edge is proving kind of hard to balance and keep interesting at the same time.

I wanted to make the player have a reason to cast it with either mode. I think this way works. It is either a return spell or a surprise blocker that sticks around until your turn:

I also made this:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I had the second one called "Acceptable Losses" but they already used that name on some garbage Limited card back in Odyssey. :negative:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 10, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
more pressure cards (with a slight re-wording)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

more pressure cards (with a slight re-wording)

Where's the art on these two from? The style is really great.

Also pressure seems like a fairly interesting mechanic. Reminds me of the transform stuff from Innistrad 1, but with more flexibility.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Where's the art on these two from? The style is really great.

Also pressure seems like a fairly interesting mechanic. Reminds me of the transform stuff from Innistrad 1, but with more flexibility.

Julie Dillon

https://www.google.com/search?q=jul...Q_AUoAXoECA4QAQ

She's done a few actual magic cards

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I should've known. The style looked familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Excellent showing so far, I'm going to have a hard time judging all this. Last 24 hours.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 12, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This is really good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Typo on the Hydra, should say "put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature" I assume

Time Scrivener having Adorn doesn't change its functionality at all, does it? You can't pay its activation it if you have fewer than 10 counters on permanents anyway

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elyv posted:

Typo on the Hydra, should say "put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature" I assume

Time Scrivener having Adorn doesn't change its functionality at all, does it? You can't pay its activation it if you have fewer than 10 counters on permanents anyway
Maybe it's to keep the ability from being cheated out somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Elyv posted:

Dark Depths.