Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

https://shazam.com

https://youtu.be/XTgFtxHhCQ0

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

I'm probably too late but I wanted to post SOMETHIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44

and some nerd stuff...

Only 17 characters fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 24, 2019

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

I would make a Giant Steps card but this is already amazing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:siren: Time's up! :siren:

Judgement when I'm on my lunch break, so five or six hours give or take.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

First off, I'm going to partecipate in this context too. It's a low hanging fruit, but I simply cannot resist. Sorry.

Now that I got that out of my system, let's move on with the judging!

All entries were good! I had trouble selecting just five (two honorable mentions and three top-threes), but alas I must. So without further ado...

Honorable mentions

Only 17 characters' Circle of Fifths

Excellent. A very good joke / pun on musical theory, and the card can be very useful against certain decks. It just barely not made it into the top three.

Eeevil's Burning Desire

Good reference to the lyrics here, and the card is good to boot.

Third place

Tulul's Orcestra

I love this pun, and the card is well-built and useful (if tempered by the fact that it also backfires, but otherwise it'd be undercosted). I'd put it into a deck.

Second place

Jade Rider's Pied Piper

A solid card overall, and perfectly references the original tale.

First place

TheChirurgeon's Castlevania Cycle

This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I posted this contest, but it fits the theme. It fits the theme very well, as it turns out. Each card is very good, and they all fit both the colour pie and their name. I wouldn't be surprised if these saw actual play. (Beyond the obvious "being non-official cards", of course.)

Congrats, TheChirurgeon!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Sweet! Fun fact: Symphony of the Night was the first card of the cycle I made, and it started out as Monster Mash.

OK, let's take a things in a different direction. I *love* the Modern Horizons set. Hell, I loved the Time Spiral block. The most disappointing thing about Modern Horizons was that it only had three cards that mashed up two mechanics. But we're gonna fix that! Your task this week is...

:siren::siren:Design a card that uses exactly two non-evergreen named mechanics:siren::siren:

What I'm looking for: You should ideally used two named mechanics that are set-based and couldn't otherwise show up together unless a set was specifically using both. See the examples above if you need inspiration, but there are more in Time Spiral block you can look to. The Modern Horizons designers left a lot of meat on the bone, and I expect you to tear the rest off. I'm particularly partial to cards that make sense within the color or colors they're being used on, but feel free to shift a mechanic if it makes sense and is flavorful. Also I've got a preference for cards that are constructed playable, but not broken.

CONTEST ENDS at 1 AM EDT on TUESDAY, JULY 2nd

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yes I know Intimidate has been replaced by Menace, but Menace doesn't work with this card. I hope it's still within the contest rules.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 25, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A combination of a very polarizing mechanic and one that I didn't even remember until I was flipping through the list of mechanics.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Let's fool around with counters a bit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Obligatory resubmissions.

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 26, 2019

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I made a little thing to randomize combinations of mechanics if anyone's looking for inspiration (just scroll down and click execute). Besides keywords/abilities/actions, I put in rare subtypes, combinations of types, every non-keyworded uncommon mechanic I could think of, and some of the Unstable mechanics that would be reasonable in black-border magic.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 30, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tulul posted:

I made a little thing to randomize combinations of mechanics if anyone's looking for inspiration (just scroll down and click execute). Besides keywords/abilities/actions, I put in rare subtypes, combinations of types, every non-keyworded uncommon mechanic I could think of, and some of the Unstable mechanics that would be reasonable in black-border magic.
This is really cool! Gave me the idea for this:

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Forgive the lack of the enchantment creature type and frame, failing of the editor I use. Love how the progression of this matches a classic haunting story though. Starts out with a little spooky action. Becomes something actively stalking its target. Then you think you deal with it. But then a huge crisis point happens. Then, if you're still around after that, it's over.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 26, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Here it is, the ultimate card, combining two of the best mechanics the game has ever known.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Tulul posted:

Chalk me up as another person who got inspired by this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

And me too, it gave me a nice little idea for a combination.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dead bull gives you wings.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Edit:

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 26, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

image source: this website i found on google https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends-europe/hermes-0011776

e:

e2:

image source: https://drawception.com/game/MN8qtcYfEh/destruction-rains-from-the-heavens/

explanation of miracle suspend because i couldn't figure out how to write reminder text in a way that looked good: you can only suspend this card if it's the first thing you drew this turn

e3: the end is nigh should be rare

e4: man this contest really lit a fire in my brain:

e5: another submission: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789848&pagenumber=113#post496312267

e6: another one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789848&pagenumber=113#post496334229

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 29, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

double post, i know, but this is to remind everyone that if you're using MSE and your text box is getting choked by reminder text you can right click on it and hide the reminder text

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

e:

e2: Changed Temporal Convergence to an instant and added uncounterability to the threshold.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 28, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

my original plan was for this to cost more and have affinity for clues, but the rules for this one say 2 mechanics only

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 29, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This is a variant of a card I designed and submitted a while back as a pile of hybrid mana symbols.

Joining it are some new friends.

(I think somebody else already did Unleash + Undying, which doesn't surprise me - it's a good combination of keywords!)

e: It just now strikes me that Scab-Clan Rioter's second ability plays nicely with Riot, and that Riot would be a reasonable alternative to Bloodthirst on it depending on mana cost, etc.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The design was Bant at first, then I realized I could do Jeskai and make the obvious joke/flavor.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 30, 2019

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

Turn 2 it has 2 instances of exalted then turn 3 it has 4 and then 7 and so on. And to clarify, Multiple instances of exalted stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Haven't even gotten to the honorable mentions in 3 contests. Might as well go balls-to-the-walls and hope something sticks instead of being conservative.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 1, 2019