Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Hey everyone, quick reminder that this is the last day to submit entries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

i made feldon before morophon was spoiled, haha

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

pup tart posted:

i made feldon before morophon was spoiled, haha

that feldon is actually sort of a nonbo with morophon; while the first part works to make it cost 0, it makes the second part of feldon impossible to trigger since you never spend WUBRG, and there are other ways to do the first part of feldon like fist of suns

(i think)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

gently caress you Tron. I mean I could have made it "all creatures" or "target permanent", but still.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Alright, shop's closed! I'll get the results as soon as possible, figuring everything out now.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Hi everyone! It's time for me to judge my first contest! Mission accomplished: Lands really mattered this week, and if I could I would just give everyone first place, forcing all of you except me to pick a topic in which I'd be the only one who could compete in it. Since I can't, though, here are my picks.

Honorable Mentions:

Capfalcon's Mana Extractor: One thing I learned about myself in this contest is that I really like cards with a fun risk/reward ratio. This card helps you out in the short term but has a price (that can be exasperated via proliferate, a mechanic that I've been sort of overestimating as of late.) I keep feeling like this card is more red than black, but I could see it either way.

Eeevil's Blight Baron: A neat card that kind of sort of shuts down landfolk, but has utility without it as well. I admit some bias here, because I really love D&D's blight druid subclass and this reminds me of it. Also, it can move any kind of counter around, which is always really neat. I sort of wish it could only move counters around from target lands (but still to any permanent).

Not Alex's Terra Incognita: Turns all lands into creatures into a really unique way. My first thought was to want to include this card in a deck with a lot of manifest and morph, and it was sort of a big disappointment to me to realize that it would hurt those decks more than anything. I feel like I'm being overly harsh because I like this card a lot and almost put it in my top 3, but I also don't care for the color combination, feeling like it doesn't feel very Naya and absolutely feels like it should have blue. I would have gone blue green red, personally.

Only 17 Characters' Tsabo of the Web: Look at this spider! Extremely gross and good. It felt sort of overpowered to me at first glance, getting access to what in a multiplayer game would be a heck of a lot of card draw while also gumming up people's mana, but I like the way it personally needs a lot of colored mana that you'd normally get from said nonbasic lands. It would also be a good spider tribal commander, having the same color combination as my friend Thantis while having a more generalized strategy.

Tulul's The Titan's War: Did I mention in my contest post that I'm real into Lore and specifically old lore? This card does a really cool set of things that feel very... I'm struggling to remember the word I want to use but "cinematic", if that makes sense. This is actually close to my very favorite card in this set, but I hesitate to podium it because it's only roughly related to the theme, almost treating the lands as a punishment. A "lands matter less than equipment" theme.

Third Place: Lack of Bear's Deep Root Hedera:

Mark Rosewater spoke in his discussion of the Amonkhet block about how important it is to make your players feel clever; like they figured out something that the game almost didn't want them to know. This is definitely one of those cards, giving a keyword that does nothing on its own and then encouraging you to find ways to abuse it. I keep finding myself thinking of cool combos to use with this card, most obviously putting it in a Gitrog Monster deck, with cool lands like Gargoyle Castle.

Second Place: Desktop_Metaphor's The New God of Amonkhet:

In the War of the Spark lore, it was specified that the Hekma was restored, basically turning Amonkhet back into the old place minus the Bolas trial bits. This was really disappointing to me, because there's a lot of really cool lore ideas that follow the idea of a people in exile in a dangerous land. The New God of Amonkhet is a great example of a card that could have been, made in such a way that I honestly can't believe it wasn't made top down. Utilizing the power of deserts is a great feature, as is its use of the black/blue color identity to do something that matches the colors but doesn't feel dimir.

First Place::pup tart's Dreamwood Logger:

I'm surprising myself by liking this card so much. A land tax with a higher cost that does less for more cost might seem bad, but at uncommon it's just about perfect (and Land Tax was maybe too good anyway). I wrote earlier on about risk to reward, and this is that in the best sense of the word. Give yourself a boost in mana at a really difficult time, but you gotta give up some long-term mana to do it. The fact that it only works if you're already behind the mana curve by definition makes it especially risky to activate. That said, you can do that tap effect at instant speed, allowing its use in moments when you may desparately need the mana for counterspells or flashed in defenders. While this isn't personally a blue card, I think it works well with them and hints at a cool identity for that particular wedge. Good stuff, first place.

Congrats to everyone for your real good land cards, and best of luck to you all in the next week!

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
i liked the concept of a theme that happened a bit before i joined, so here we go...

foxes that are not fox people

let's get foxy! i want cards that represent foxes -- not necessarily as fox creatures, but they should do something fox-flavored. if you're familiar with the "bear alignment chart" i'm looking for cards that are aesthetic purist, but they can be anywhere from stats purist to stats radical.

if you're not familiar with the chart, check this out:

a few more notes!
  • a lot of foxes (and dogs) in magic have "sacrifice this creature:" abilities -- i don't like that! treat your foxes and dogs well! "when ~ dies" effects are also maybe a bad idea.
  • foxes are usually tricky and clever, so cards that do something along those lines are a safe bet (i also personally enjoy cards that are tricky and clever). cards that run with other characteristics of foxes are also very welcome.
  • personally, i'm not a huge fan of creating new keywords -- your cards shouldn't need to alter the rules of magic to work. you can try it, of course, but don't say i didn't warn you!
  • even though i really like foxes, i probably won't like cards that are too strong (for their mana costs).

Contest ends Saturday, June 1st at 11:59 PM, PDT.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

e. actual card image, also: VVVVV you can make one too, I don't mind!

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 24, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mikl posted:

Fox Mulder (UU)
Creature - fox, rare, 1/1
Whenever Fox Mulder attacks or blocks, investigate.

I'm kicking myself that I was beat to this.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Here is a cycle I made of Foxes, each based on adjectives that describe foxes. Each one is also an homage to a different magic creature with the same adjective in its own name: theoretically, you could create 5 new cycles out using these foxes and the original cards. All art is made from photos of foxes I found online that I then put through a deep dream generator to make look like they were painted art.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 25, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

e:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Fox got two mentions in Ice Age, one a permanent, one a mediocre slowtrip combat trick. Let's upgrade.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
This started as a dumb joke about foxes stealing eggs, but this art is really pretty and the black lotus is too perfect to pass up.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
I messed up on a couple of my foxes, but here they are, fixed.

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 28, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I was also told to revisit this concept:

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Here's one of the zaniest bird tribal cards, remade for a fox tribal deck. It's a bit derivative but I think it works. I made them enchantment creatures because I like those.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 30, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I feel like it should be something like "If The Quick Brown Fox would be blocked by a Dog, it gains flying until the end of combat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think the card needs a j, an m, and a v