Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm certain this doesn't remotely work ruleswise, but hey!

I think the much less elegant, but much more sane wording would be something like "Until target spell resolves, you may cast spells as though they had flash, your opponent can't cast spells or activate abilities, and you can't activate abilities of creatures" but pshaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

The tap ability should be tapping the equipped creature, I think. Otherwise it's just pure upside because equipment basically never gets tapped normally.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Procrastinator posted:

The tap ability should be tapping the equipped creature, I think. Otherwise it's just pure upside because equipment basically never gets tapped normally.

It is pure upside, yes, but once a turn rather than shuffling it around for multiple uses. It's boots that are good at kicking for every definition of kicking.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Contest Closed. Judging to commence after I get back from work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The timing on that is so clever, I'm giving you an honorary mention.

Also to all the Yu-Gi-Oh people, you wonderful jerks. And everyone submitted great cards, but these were the ones that most tickled my particular pickle.

Third Place:

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think the much less elegant, but much more sane wording would be something like "Until target spell resolves, you may cast spells as though they had flash, your opponent can't cast spells or activate abilities, and you can't activate abilities of creatures" but pshaw.
I really like the more intuitive sane wording.
Second Place:
Winner is:

Weird and intuitive? And flavorful to boot? Bestill my beating heart.

Zorajit is our winner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally your first post in the thread gets you a win. Goddamn, Zor, hell of a way to make an entrance! :toot:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Holy crap, expected to at least have to pay my dues. Thanks for the win! I've got an idea or two in mind for challenges, give me a day to put a good post together for the next challenge. Thanks again!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Did you know there is a bank that suspended its vault over the road in front of its building to make the only means of entry through the normal hallways? Or that many art galleries quietly have a policy of paying ransoms on stolen pieces, because they'll be recouped by their insurers? Or that a quarter million euros worth of wine (which may have turned) was recently stolen by cutting through a wall in the Parisian catacombs?

We've had a few fairly complex mechanical-focused rounds now, so this week is more about theme and conveyance. My favorite stories, bar none, are heists. I like the dramatic dynamic of circumventing superior resources through guile. And I like noir-infused con artists and their ilk being too-cool ala Nick and Nora Charles of The Thin Man. So for this week's challenge

:siren:The Heist is On!:siren:

Your task this round is to: Present one or more cards for a hypothetical, draftable set themed around a major heist.

Magic has a long history of wars, exploration, and horror. Sets like Hour of Devastation are thematically about a very short time period or single event. I'd like to see how you would present a story of burglary through Magic's toolset. Top down designs around this subgenre's tropes are encouraged: pick a mark, assemble a crew, scope the joint, get in and get out, and get away with the loot. Try to go beyond creatures that can't be blocked, loot or rummage effects, or taking control of other player's stuff. Consider the impossible, magical, vaults to be robbed, a dogged investigation of the job, or even dozing guard dogs. Bonus points for elaborating on the mechanics you present and the particulars of the narrative it informs.

Finish the job by 11:59 pm CDT, 19 September and I'll let you know who'll be kicking back in Monaco with the filthy lucre.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
hell yeah this is my kind of contest!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Any amateur can get into a vault. What takes an expert is getting back out again.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
The new set playtested under the dev nickname "Cops & Robbers" and placed a heavy focus on hand information. Early announcements featured odd reprints like Hired Torturer and Friendly Fire before revealing one of the new keywords; Stealthy.

If the powerful but conditional evasion wasn't enough to set rich lordlings to worrying about their horde, another new mechanic allowed bold criminals to put the stolen wealth to their gain.

Of course such artful thieves needed something to steal. Several cards were printed rewarding players for guarding themselves well.

And of course there are interesting characters on both sides of any potential heist.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

My entry is here.
I stole it >:^)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Ixalan really created the mechanic I wanted to use for this, and I was struggling with it until I realized I could just use that mechanic. In this hypothetical set, Heists are primarily in Blue and Black with some spillover into Red. It'd probably look like Conspiracy 3, with Knights in White/Red/Black with a coup-style mechanic, and there's maybe like a UGW ecoterrorist faction or something.

Anyways:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 12, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Uhhhh.... I don't get it. You choose a card, but it does nothing with that card?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gynovore posted:

Uhhhh.... I don't get it. You choose a card, but it does nothing with that card?

Best part is: what happens if they have no permanents??

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

The worst submarine posted:

My entry is here.
I stole it >:^)

u fucker!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did someone say STORY SPOTLIGHT CARDS ?

EDIT :

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 13, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is your opponent attacking during your turn?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Silly me. Got to edit that.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey all, the entries so far have been tremendously exciting to see. I'd hope to see a few more, there's plenty of time left in the week. So I just wanted to pop in and make a couple requests for clarification:

I know it's been brought up already but these cards need to be edited. I'm not going to be a stickler for getting wording exactly, perfectly correct; and I'm modestly willing to fiat rules changes that would be needed to make cards work. But I can't divine what these are supposed to do.

I get what this does, but do you think you could revise the reminder text? It arguably has double negatives and feels complex enough that I would expect to see a promo card with a little flowchart on it to keep everyone on track. I might also recommend you consider the memory issues this mechanic entails. Since Magic, unlike my usual poison, Netrunner, permits note taking, speed of play could be significantly impacted with a volume of hand revealing effects.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Hey all, the entries so far have been tremendously exciting to see. I'd hope to see a few more, there's plenty of time left in the week. So I just wanted to pop in and make a couple requests for clarification:

I know it's been brought up already but these cards need to be edited. I'm not going to be a stickler for getting wording exactly, perfectly correct; and I'm modestly willing to fiat rules changes that would be needed to make cards work. But I can't divine what these are supposed to do.

I get what this does, but do you think you could revise the reminder text? It arguably has double negatives and feels complex enough that I would expect to see a promo card with a little flowchart on it to keep everyone on track. I might also recommend you consider the memory issues this mechanic entails. Since Magic, unlike my usual poison, Netrunner, permits note taking, speed of play could be significantly impacted with a volume of hand revealing effects.

What's wrong with laser field other than it doesn't say "at the beginning of your end step"
You need to donate it, attack with your odric, make it block something that doesn't kill it, then steal it back. It's a lot of hoops to jump through, but the card does what it says.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Honestly, I was operating on the assumption that those were not the steps intended by the author. For that matter, Review the Plan does work in that you can choose a permanent without doing anything with it. I'm just asking for clarification, and, if that's the intent, that's the clarification.

EDIT: Review the Plan has been edited since my original read of the card. Sorry for the mix up!
EDIT again: It probably still needs either an "until end of turn," or a (This effect lasts indefinitely).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And indefinite effects without some kind of on-board reminder are a big no no.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Top down designs around this subgenre's tropes are encouraged: pick a mark, assemble a crew, scope the joint, get in and get out, and get away with the loot.

- assemble crew
- scope the joint
- get away with the loot

Could a single card encompass an entire heist story?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
A big part of the heist is figuring out ways to get things where they're not supposed to be.

Perhaps you have a special way to hide with interesting limitations...

...but sometimes you don't need to hide yourself, just make the things you're carrying more dangerous than they look...

...or take advantage of a team's coordination to break it up into individually unremarkable parts.

Of course, there's always the option of just getting yourself an inside man and letting them do the hard work.

EDIT: minor clarity edit to Perfidious Sentry

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 14, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, it's fixed.

Also :

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nebalebadingdong posted:

- assemble crew
- scope the joint
- get away with the loot

Could a single card encompass an entire heist story?

So you can cast spells from that hand indefinitely? Also, name a land spell.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dr. Stab posted:

So you can cast spells from that hand indefinitely? Also, name a land spell.

Hmm, I dont think so. Why would it be indefinite?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The tricky part is that you can't have the hand revealing as part of the trigger because that means that if two stealthy creatures attacked, the second one would always know what to name.

And yes it is a bookkeeping issue. But I really feel that hand knowledge really suits the heist feeling. The clever ways you can get cards revealed to the shrewd guesses based on mana held up. It's like getting the combo to the safe or the password to the terminal.

I don't know how to fix it. Maybe I'm just tired, I'll look over it in the morning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if the thing you're stealing... is time?

I don't really have a unifying theme, yet, I just liked the idea of stealing time counters and am trying to figure out what to do with it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Not Alex posted:

The tricky part is that you can't have the hand revealing as part of the trigger because that means that if two stealthy creatures attacked, the second one would always know what to name.

And yes it is a bookkeeping issue. But I really feel that hand knowledge really suits the heist feeling. The clever ways you can get cards revealed to the shrewd guesses based on mana held up. It's like getting the combo to the safe or the password to the terminal.

I don't know how to fix it. Maybe I'm just tired, I'll look over it in the morning.

It can't be fixed if it has to reveal the hand every time. Every combat will take a long time to resolve while you play the guessing game, and having constant access to your opponent's hand is incredibly powerful.

Like if it was a one-off ability at a higher rarity that would be okay, but as a mechanic that shows up even at common, is ridiculous.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

You're not wrong. Resubmitting my first card as:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's make sure we know what we're getting into, until our cover is blown.

Let's grease a few palms to make sure things go missing or eyes look the other way.

Let's slip the guards a Mickey Finn to keep them out of our hair.

If that doesn't work, what a good blackjack lacks in hitting power, it makes up for in keeping them out of it.

Because at the end of the day, we just want to get away...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Hmm, I dont think so. Why would it be indefinite?

I think the less ambiguous wording "you may cast any number of nonland cards revealed this way"

What you've written is the same as what's on mind's desire or yawgmoth's will, just without a duration, so the expectation is that it functions similarly. I'm not actually sure what specifically your effect as written would mean, it just feels more like those sorts of effects.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Your task this round is to: Present one or more cards for a hypothetical, draftable set themed around a major heist.

Well, first thing we need for a heist is some sort of Macguffin to steal. Wouldn't be a proper heist if there wasn't something worth filching, right? Well, luckily for us Magic has already come up with something like that. The Monarch!

The most important part of this will that we can print a version of the token without an embarrassing typo on it (not pictured). In this set, the monarch won't necessarily be the crown of Fiora, but it'll be some other thing that I didn't both figure out because I'll leave that up to creative. Just pretend it's a canvas bag with a dollar sign on it.

But the people in charge will not be so happy to give it away. Once you get your hands on power, you don't want to let it go.

And some ways of getting the monarch are less... clean than others.

Fun fact about this card, it used to be a 2BB instant but then your opponent could steal the monarch after you activated Saiyul's Warden and it would prevent the damage to THEM because it would check who the monarch was on resolution. I still wanted to leave you the option of preventing damage to someone else if they were the monarch, so this set would contain no ways to take the monarch at instant speed. Yes, this could still happen with stuff like Quicken or Vedalken Orrery, but that's beyond the scope of this set and that's fine.

Also we got the big Kingpin herself.

The bonus draw trigger is at the beginning of the upkeep because it's more important for her to HOLD the monarch. She's greedy like that. But if you lose it, she can rumble on in and get it back.

And now we have the actual thieves:

pick a mark (and then punch them in the face)

scope the joint (from up high)

assemble a crew

get in and get out, and get away with the loot

And who else to pull off this caper, but the Greatest Thief in the Multiverse ™ himself.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dr. Stab posted:

I think the less ambiguous wording "you may cast any number of nonland cards revealed this way"

What you've written is the same as what's on mind's desire or yawgmoth's will, just without a duration, so the expectation is that it functions similarly. I'm not actually sure what specifically your effect as written would mean, it just feels more like those sorts of effects.

Yeah you're probably right that it could be clearer. Stuff like Talent of the Telepath uses "among them" which is probably what it should be changed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?