Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

heres my piece of poo poo

flavor token

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i apologize for nothing

errata: Bogled weapon does not grant the token creature hexproof. it is just a vanilla 0/1 green Beast token.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I feel like I've missed something obvious, but why is my first strike and deathtouch equipment attached to something with 0 power?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Its a bogle focused equip, being encouraged to put other auras and equipments on to it to gain its true value

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

gif Probst posted:

Its a bogle focused equip, being encouraged to put other auras and equipments on to it to gain its true value

Oooh, I see why I was confused. Your token card doesn't have hexproof on it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I would be very surprised if something like this doesn't already exist, but... :shrug:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 15, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thats broken

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

EDIT: Updated to deal with rules issues and templating.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 15, 2017

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Why does an enchantment have a tap effect?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I don't think that works. You choose targets when you cast the spell, so when the spell gains that ability, it won't have a target.

A dude posted:

Why does an enchantment have a tap effect?

There's no actual rule prohibiting enchantments from tapping. They just generally don't.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think there are two enchantments with a tap effect and they're both from Future Sight

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gynovore posted:

I don't think that works. You choose targets when you cast the spell, so when the spell gains that ability, it won't have a target.
You're right, let me fix that.

Gynovore posted:

There's no actual rule prohibiting enchantments from tapping. They just generally don't.

That's actually just a brain fart on my part, just so used to "tap, sacrifice" effects.

Updated cards are now live.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I feel like I'd rather have the tokens sacrifice to grant a static ability like a planeswalker emblem. "Sacrifice ~: The next time you cast a spell this turn, ~ deals 2 damage etc."

Though that's fairly different mechanically.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Man thats cool

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

gif Probst posted:

Man thats cool

ty

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Alrighty results posted soon!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Honorable Mentions

This reminds me alot of The Wretched, a really bad card that I loved as a kid. The Deathtouch/Block abilities are the absolute worst way to use the extremely powerful static ability, and should be dropped to clean the card up. Its ability should also explicitly only work on non-token creatures.

I wish there was some way to mash the abilities together to produce more concise rules and I think its undercosted, but I personally would love to turn my opponent's graveyard into a horde of gummy worms.

Pretty baller, seems like it would work better as a sorcery at reduced cost tho. As an enchantment, I feel like it will just gum up alot of games.

Third Place

One thing keeps worming (hehe) into my brain: the tokens will always have one higher P/T than the generator! If there were an additional cost besides the +1/+1 counter removal, even a small one to make the tokens, you could start the main creature at 1/1 and then there would be less bookkeeping.

Second Place

Non-creature tokens for burn? Neat! However, I wonder if the enchantment tokens shouldn't be artifacts

First Place

The winner goes to a little girl who I will blink to make lots dragons and then I find some way to murder her. This card is pretty bizarre, but its definitely interesting. Child murder your way to victory? You truly are the worst submarine!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 16, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Child murder your way to victory? You truly are the worst submarine!

Yay! I have some contest ideas, will post later tonight

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Flipping Out

Wizards has mostly given up on printing flip a coin cards. This is because they suck at it.

Oh you flipped wrong? gently caress off m8 we done talkin

They've made some cards where neither heads nor tails screw you over, they just change the card's function. We'll call this modal random.

heads: meh. tails: meh

Here's a card from Hearthstone that's good modal random:

and the three random options it can get:

Each result is statted above the cost of the card. This is because they have to make up for the downside of randomly changing your gameplan.

I want you to make a good card that's modal random (varying random options, none of which are inherently bad).

It doesn't have to involve flipping coins, but it should still be very random - off the top of my head the only other option is rolling dice or literally having "randomly pick one of the following options" on the card.
Don't limit yourself to red and blue, if your card makes thematic sense it can be white, black, or green, maybe even colorless.

Contest ends the night of Sunday, October 22nd.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 17, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

With a bit of scrying, you can stack the deck (:haw:) to make sure you've got some good options available.

:science:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 17, 2017

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Magic doesn't let you determine targets based on the result of an effect resolving, so that second card doesn't work very well. I'm not sure if you could activate it by targeting a spell on the stack plus two permanents or just not activate it at all, but it's pretty awkward either way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Magic doesn't let you determine targets based on the result of an effect resolving, so that second card doesn't work very well. I'm not sure if you could activate it by targeting a spell on the stack plus two permanents or just not activate it at all, but it's pretty awkward either way.
I'll fix the wording, I have an idea.

Edit There, that should (hopefully) work. The ability targets a player, and then that player chooses a target.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 17, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

It takes too many words to do simple things in Magic.
Still, a submission is a submission.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 17, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
No guarantee that I got the templating right on this one.
EDIT: Corrected the templating.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 18, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

"where X is the result of the die roll."

I think that would be the correct templating. Other than that it's fine. Some of the best cards in this thread (and plenty of average submissions) have had wrong/borked templating so don't sweat it too much. The contests are more about the ideas than getting everything right.

I still enjoy fixing broken things though. :spergin:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Something old, something new.

Probably both templated wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

"Roll a d6. Target creature gets +X/+X, where X is equal to the die roll" works fine, based on the templating of the die-rolling D&D themed cards, and Goblin Archeologist, and Growth Spurt, respectively.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Lone Goat posted:

"Roll a d6. Target creature gets +X/+X, where X is equal to the die roll" works fine, based on the templating of the die-rolling D&D themed cards, and Goblin Archeologist, and Growth Spurt, respectively.

I considered this wording but wanted to make it clear the creature needed to be chosen before the die was rolled. That's less important for Bloom than for Wilt, but keeping them symmetrical to each other seemed like a reasonable excuse to break from it.

VVVVVV: Duly noted, will revise. Thanks for the input!

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 18, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I considered this wording but wanted to make it clear the creature needed to be chosen before the die was rolled. That's less important for Bloom than for Wilt, but keeping them symmetrical to each other seemed like a reasonable excuse to break from it.
Don't you always have to choose the target before you cast it anyways?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't you always have to choose the target before you cast it anyways?

Yes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There's already a source of variance in the game, without needing to flip a coin or roll a die. Every time you shuffle, you're randomising what you get. Let's go digging around, searching through the underbrush, making use of everything we find, and getting ridiculous in multiplayer.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It might look like a "heads comes up, gently caress you", but a black deck can always use a zombie, or a death trigger, or both.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 18, 2017