Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Cynic Jester posted:

Which is nifty.

Which is busted. It's a turn three "kill" vs everything but infect. Or it can be done all in one turn with rakdos charm on turn four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
the opposite of mana of any color is the upkeep step right? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Not Alex posted:

Which is busted. It's a turn three "kill" vs everything but infect. Or it can be done all in one turn with rakdos charm on turn four.
As long as you can still take damage, just not lose life, it's actually really cool.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 8, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Lose life, not damage.

(damage causes loss of life)

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

As long as you can still take damage, just not lose life, it's actually really cool.

As Mind Crank helpfully informs us, damage causes loss of life.

Edit: Shakes fist at TheChirurgeon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, never mind.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

I probably wouldn't know it if that wasn't my favorite reminder text.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Not Alex posted:

I probably wouldn't know it if that wasn't my favorite reminder text.

I’m partial to The land continues to burn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

I’m partial to The land continues to burn.

Somebody on its Gatherer page posted:

The reminder text is also his flavor text.
:allears:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Couldn't resist. Original is the card we've just been discussing.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I couldn't figure out making a PW in MSE in the five minutes I had this morning, so maybe I'll update this to be a picture this weekend. Don't hold your breath though.........

Garruk of the Tail 1GG
Legendary Planeswalker - Garruk
+1: Each player may search his or her library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into his or her hand. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
-2: Target player sacrifices a non-creature, non-land permanent.
-6: Search your graveyard, hand, and library for up to eight creature and land cards. Target opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put the pile of your choice onto the battlefield and the other into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
Loyalty 3

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Skullclamp

Inverting the +/- makes it unplayable.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mirrors:

e: now with flavor text

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 11, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Sire of Insanity

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Finally got an idea.

Pongify

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
After lurking the thread for weeks I finally made something!

Based on:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Infected Bite makes the creature unable to activate the ability granted by Infected Bite.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Simple fix for it would be to say "~ loses all abilities" while the enchant grants the tap ability. I think that works, but I don't know layers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One more!

From creature spam to madness beatstick.

Vengevine

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks for the submissions, everyone! I'm pleased with how this contest turned out. As I judged, I was primarily looking for entries to do something more interesting than just mirror the exact text in another color. On a personal note, I also tend to prefer cards There were a lot of good submissions and picking a single winner was tougher than I thought it was going to be.

Now, on to the winners.

Honorable Mention

There are several cards I could have put here (Gifts Unforgiven, Infectious Horde, Fabritect's Will), but I'm just gonna pick two.

I like this a lot, in part because it absolutely fits Red's jam and I could see it being colorshifted and put into a real set at some point. Buuuuuut Red and Green are allies, so this one is just an honorable mention.

This is a really clever take and it suits Black very well. I'd have liked to see it do something with land, since destruction is in Black's wheelhouse, but it would have been broken as gently caress at that cost, and it's already way undercosted (just like its opposing card, I'll grant you). Still, I really like what you did with this.

Third Place

I love the simplicity of this card. I think it could actually be a hybrid card that costs W/G. Or U/G, even.

Second Place

This is another card I could see getting actual print one day. I like the concept, though I suspect WotC might also consider making it red/blue. This is a card destined for EDH.

:siren:WINNER PLACE:siren:

The land continues to drown is just perfect, and shifting the effect to be landtype-changing, something blue has done several times, is a perfect change--it synergizes with Merfolk (even if it isn't one itself), it's flavorful, and it's very strong. In a contest flush with strong entries, this stood out the most. Congrats!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yay! Only four more wins to surpass Lottery of Babylon! Spreadsheet updated, truly none can match Pmush's HONOUR.

Gimmick Tribes!

Tribes have had certain characteristics since Alpha, where elves first tapped for mana, Merfolk first islandwalked, and Dragons flew and breathed fire. Over time, some tribes became entirely about something that creatures with that type uniquely did.

So, you're going to come up with a unique new creature type, or take a very infrequent established type as Innistrad did to Werewolves, and you're going to give that tribe a unique selling point that all of its members do, one way or another. Bonus points for being something that makes sense for the type, if possible.

Deadline is next Sunday, 18th February, at 23:59 UTC.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
This is my first contest, so go easy on me.

Introducing Beavers! Only previously having one card - in Unstable, which unfortunately robbed me of the eager beaver card name - these little guys eat wood and make dams. So of course, that means in Magic they must eat Forests. Probably play this with some land recurring, like Ramunap Excavator/Crucible of Worlds or something, so your beavers can keep their bellies full. Also these probably aren't actually playable, but hey, it's not like Magic hasn't had it's share of bad tribes over the years.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Placeholder, until I can get to a pc to make the cards.

Presenting the Youkai: a tribe of creatures derived from the "ghosts" of Japan. They come in all flavours and colours, and each has its own abilities, strength, and weaknesses, but what they all share is that they're really hard to get rid of with conventional means. So they all have a new ability: undying. Undying works simply like this:

"Undying X: ~ enters the battlefield with X life counters on it. If ~ would die, remove a life counter from it instead; if you can't, sacrifice ~."

This way you have a tribe, thematically related and linked by an ability, but which can have a wide range of uses in a deck.

Examples of the cards to be added later, as I said this is a placeholder for now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikl posted:

Placeholder, until I can get to a pc to make the cards.

Presenting the Youkai: a tribe of creatures derived from the "ghosts" of Japan. They come in all flavours and colours, and each has its own abilities, strength, and weaknesses, but what they all share is that they're really hard to get rid of with conventional means. So they all have a new ability: undying. Undying works simply like this:

"Undying X: ~ enters the battlefield with X life counters on it. If ~ would die, remove a life counter from it instead; if you can't, sacrifice ~."

This way you have a tribe, thematically related and linked by an ability, but which can have a wide range of uses in a deck.

Examples of the cards to be added later, as I said this is a placeholder for now.

You might need a different name for that ability.

Also, what you're describing has some similarity flavorfully to the soulshift Spirits from Kamigawa and functionally to the Phantom creatures from Judgment. It's Magic so that's not unexpected though

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The flavour thing like you said is to be expected, since Kamigawa has a Japanese flavour. Might change it around a bit so it's not too similar though.

The ability name is me being dumb and not checking if an ability of that name was already present. I'll think of a different one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Came up with a cool idea for a creature type, and even made a cycle for them!

Couldn't for the life of me tell you how I came up with it, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Okay, I gave it a bit more thought, so here it is: my tribe. My adorable tribe.

e. tweaked the cards to have less :words:, thanks Lone Goat! :)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 16, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If you want to make it much simpler, how about "remove a life counter from (this): regenerate"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That's a very good suggestion, thanks. Simple and elegant, and gets rid of :words: in the card. Right now I'm on mobile, I'll fix them next time I'm at my pc.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

That's a very good suggestion, thanks. Simple and elegant, and gets rid of :words: in the card. Right now I'm on mobile, I'll fix them next time I'm at my pc.

Yeah, then it doesn't need a keyword mechanic; you can just have each card etb with 8 life counters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Done, I've modified the cards in my original post (and I took the chance to tweak some of them a little bit). Thanks again! :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
post hot modrons and the maro-est pics u got

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Wooo modrons! Fantastic flavor and abilities. Question though, what happens if a cheap cast Primus gets flickered? It'd be a creature right? That's not a problem I'm just trying to get a handle on the mechanic. Also it doesn't have a type when cheap cast. Does that cause any weird things?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not Alex posted:

Question though, what happens if a cheap cast Primus gets flickered? It'd be a creature right? That's not a problem I'm just trying to get a handle on the mechanic.

Blah I totally missed this. I think its a problem. I should add a clause that requires it to be cast from your hand or find another condition to get Primus to fight for you.

Not Alex posted:

Also it doesn't have a type when cheap cast. Does that cause any weird things?

This I'm totally okay with. Modrons are weird and all this really means is that its really hard to target.

e: Honestly I'm not a huge fan of modrons as an idea. The newer artwork for them is super awesome tho so they kinda sort grew on me a bit.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 14, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Blah I totally missed this. I think its a problem. I should add a clause that requires it to be cast from your hand or find another condition to get Primus to fight for you.

There are only two cards that can target a non typed permanent with a flicker effect. You're probably fine.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
You need to give modron God a type besides creature. If cast for CCC it has no type

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not Alex posted:

There are only two cards that can target a non typed permanent with a flicker effect. You're probably fine.

Hmm, that I also didn't consider. I'll think about it. Thanks!

e: also the Decaton's wonky counterspell ability probably needs a poo poo ton more templating to actually work correctly

TheChirurgeon posted:

You need to give modron God a type besides creature. If cast for CCC it has no type

That was intentional

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 14, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Something I've been wondering regarding this card's mechanics.

If I use the copy ability to copy a creature, I assume the Life counters will stay on the now-transformed card; but does the discard-regenerate ability stay too? My line of thinking is that Nekomata fully becomes the card it copies until end of turn, so its own abilities are gone for the duration, so it can't regenerate even if it has a Life counter on it. Am I wrong?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Unless the copy effect specifies that it has additional abilities, it loses its name, colors, cmc, types, power, toughness, and abilities, which are then replaced with the name, colors, cmc, types, power, toughness, and abilities of what it is copying. If you want it to keep the "Remove a life counter: regenerate" ability, you have to specify that it does so in the copy ability. For instance, look at Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, and Progenitor Mimic for an example of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
You could theoretically regenerate it preemptively before the copy ability resolves. I'm not sure how many situations in which you want to do that. But I kind of like the idea of this shapeshifter being killed and then, next time you look, it's a cat.