Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Rishadan Port replacement, meant to work with the rebel/mercenary search cycles of Mercadian Masques. Maybe broken?

e: should probably be legendary

(also using the new dominaria templating :eng101: )

Updated with a new clause so that I don't have to make it Legendary. Also better art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The friends I played with in middle school must have had an infinite supply of this cards.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Updated with a new clause so that I don't have to make it Legendary. Also better art.

Yikes. up to 4 free loots every time you cast a Green Sun's Zenith?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I guess if you spend the resources to get all four copies of them onto the battlefield, sure why not?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 19, 2018

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Don't make me beg!

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Real life has rudely gotten in the way so I'm extending the deadline by 2 hours to 2pm pacific.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

My original thought for this card would've been a card that could exile cards from graveyards and then add mana based on them, which was somewhat based on one of the GDS3 submissions, but it felt too similar to DRS so I totally threw it out and started from scratch. Based on the art and RTR's themes the card had to deal with the graveyard, and Black and Green both have access to returning cards from the graveyard, and the graveyard looter seemed like an interesting enough offshoot to be worthy of printing. The repeatability and the relative "strength" of the graveyard loot helped justify it in rare. Its possible that as a last-second replacement this card could be costed at 2{B/G} instead of Development is worried about it.

I really wanted to make a replacement card that completely changed the cardtype, which is where this Splinter Twin comes from. I'm almost a little surprised that this card doesn't already exist, although its possible that its a _slight_ bleed, but Red does already get token copies of creatures so I think its easily justifiable. My original costing had it at 3R as a straight shift from Clone, but because the card is mostly an Act of Treason that gives you ETB's I decided to shift it down to 3 mana and then add the extra color requirement as a bit of a safety valve.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

And Time! I'll put up a thing within the next hour.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This was a strange contest, and a hard one for me to judge. I definitely could have explained what I wanted better than I actually did, but people got it so I didn't feel the need to clarify. I also really liked quite a few of the submissions and figuring out the winner and the order was a real struggle for me, I seriously considered just about everything from the Honorable Mentions up. As a result, people were knocked down on what were basically quibbles, and there were more cards that I liked that didn't make the HM.

Honorable Mentions:

I actually had a version of this post written up with this card in first. I think it's a very good fit given Urza's enchantmentartifact theme and I think it fits well with the art. Unfortunately, Catalog exists in the set and I don't think they would have two such similar spells.

I like the design of this a lot and I think it fits the art well. My only objection would be that I do feel that the card might be a little strong for an eleventh hour replacement.

I like the aesthetics of using the old symbols and templating quite a bit. I like the design of the card quite a bit too, it's like a clunkier but easier to use Jaemdae Tome. My problem is that I feel like the art wants you to store memories away and then bring them back all at once, which this doesn't do.

Lker posted:

I absolutely buy Smuggler's Copter as a spycam, I just don't think it feels rare to me.

Third Place:

This card's name is perfect for the art of Windfall, I love it. The effect is fine too, certainly not overpowered. The two quibbles I had with it were that I don't think the effect quite matches the name, because it's everyone is learning from everyone else, and I think it fits more naturally at rare than uncommon.

Second Place:

This card is very cool, not overpowered, fits the art, and plays well with the themes of the set. I just don't think an Eldritch Moon set without an Emrakul would be a thing that would happen.

First Place:

I think this card plays to the art very well as the Felidar leaping in the way and protecting whatever the thing behind it is. It also sets up Revolt in a very elegant way. I wish it cost 1W as mostly a bear with upside, but that's a minor quibble. I went back and forth on it because the premise of the question involved a replacement at the very last second and they probably wouldn't have had time to commission a Felidar token, but ultimately I felt like that was an unfair thing to consider since I didn't mention anything to that effect in my post. Congratulations to Kuiperdolin!

Elyv fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. Lker nets double-honour and the bronze for a masterful haul.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yay I rule!

The new theme is :

A matter of form

(I'm at work so pretend I posted pics of Form of the Dragon, Form of the Squirrel and Form of the Dino; I'll edit it later.)

What if instead of summoning creatures you became a creature (or something else). What does it mean, how does it feel to be a dragon, or a squirrel, or a homarid?

I'm looking for cool mechanisms that change the way the game plays, resonance with existing types, flavour and originality.

I'm not that hung up on power level (I'm bad at determining it anyway).

Have fun!

End time : april 2nd, 23:59 CET.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

I'm fairly certain each and every one of these is a mistake.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 21, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
don't talk to me or my son ever again

(tho i guess this is a creature becoming you, instead of the other way around. does that still count?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

don't talk to me or my son ever again

(tho i guess this is a creature becoming you, instead of the other way around. does that still count?)
Doesn't do anything against damage, so somehow the heir can't protect you from getting killed?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
That was intentional because I think that would promote unfun gameplay. (It doesn't protect against infect either)

Its for pacts, glorious end and final fortune type spells and liches. Basically, for weird/bad combos and EDH junk

e: considering angel's grace, its way overcosted for what it does

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Players used to be fluffed as Planeswalkers. Why don't we make that happen again? Because it's really, really wordy.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

"Form of End the Game"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Placeholder

Soul Container (2UUBB)
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, pay half your life points rounded down and sacrifice a creature.
Create an artifact token named Souljar with "as long as Souljar is on the battlefield, you can't lose the game".

Inspired by a certain book series; I'm not sure it fits the theme though... Sort of? Since it transforms part of you into the artifact?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Tick tock.

As always I could use some help on balance. Pure life gain is weak until it isn't.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

e: in hindsight, this is so obvious i'm sure its been done before

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 21, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Nebalebadingdong posted:

That is a thing of beauty. Hat tip.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gotta make my invitational card

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

This is perfect and I wish I made it.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Yes, the effects are supposed to damage you as well as your opponents.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
That's a pretty cool idea. Let me ruin it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Neat idea. I will see it and raise you:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 21, 2018

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

This would basically force every deck in the same meta to include semi-consistent enchantment removal, wouldn't it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Why become one creature when you could become any of them?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Neat idea. I will see it and raise you:

So why wouldn't I just cast this on myself so that I can only die to enchantment removal, decking, or possibly stuff like lab maniac or infect if the format has them?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

xanthan posted:

So why wouldn't I just cast this on myself so that I can only die to enchantment removal, decking, or possibly stuff like lab maniac or infect if the format has them?

You totally would. That's intentional

Aabcehmu posted:

This would basically force every deck in the same meta to include semi-consistent enchantment removal, wouldn't it?

Hm. this is a fair criticism, and it's probably undercosted. So let's change the hand size limitation to make it something that will eventually cause you to lose as your body decomposes

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 21, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
If you enchant your opponent, they can't sacrifice it because they don't control it. So you'd never be able to actually beat them and they'd just sit there with nothing on the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Also, sacrifice a permanent plus play from graveyard on the same card makes for a really easy and exploitable upkeep.