Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Huh, I had no idea. Magic rules have lots of nuance and plenty of little twists and turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

its Insult on a stick :v:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Breaking things just right is a hard balance.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

One of them enhances every other creature and has a body equal to cost. Two of them is lethal on the board

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like this one because making a nonlegendary token isn't enough, you need to actually sidestep the legend rule.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, aside from that land, I don't really have any other ideas.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The wording in the first part strikes me as a bit weird. Wouldn't "as an additional cost to cast Throne of Plenty, sacrifice two untapped lands" work better?

VVVV ...duh :cripes: and here I was wondering while Lack of Bear did that roundabout wording. Never mind! :downs:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 26, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can't cast lands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm trying to math out if this is good or not. My gut says it's not even breaking even until at least T4, T3 if you get a Rampant Growth or Explore in, and doesn't give a real 'profit' until T6. But I guess that's the point of playing 2.

Edit: Except the EtB effect would trigger on copies, too, and set you back even farther.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

As soon as you have 2 you have infinite mana.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lack of Bear posted:

As soon as you have 2 you have infinite mana.
:doh:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Mikl posted:

The wording in the first part strikes me as a bit weird. Wouldn't "as an additional cost to cast Throne of Plenty, sacrifice two untapped lands" work better?

VVVV ...duh :cripes: and here I was wondering while Lack of Bear did that roundabout wording. Never mind! :downs:

I think "When Throne of Plenty enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two untapped lands" works, doesn't it?

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 27, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

The wording is so that you don't get to double your mana at sorcery speed for the cost of a land drop. It is what they use for stuff like lotus Vale.

It is in the Oracle text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
The picture isn't super helpful as it doesn't represent the oracle text. Also you could just have it enter tapped with the simpler clause.

Edit: Cursed edits!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Why won't they bring back Homarids? Why will they remake every movie except Waterworld? Are these things related? My conspiracy-sense is tingling.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are new homarids in dominaria.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mikl fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 29, 2018

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 28, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Returns another target creature" or it can self infinite with just one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

"Returns another target creature" or it can self infinite with just one.

Thanks, I missed that (obviously).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Reminder that the deadline is in an hour. I'll be doing my write up in the next few hours.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I tried to make a contest that would have a limited number of submissions since I was busy moving this week. I succeeded well enough in that, but I failed in the fact that I had to meticulously analyze a bunch of cards looking for hidden and subtle infinite loops. There were a lot of them. So good job on that.

Honorable Mentions
Elder Yamazaki by Lack of Bear

I love the flavor. I like that this guy takes advantage of a previous legendary card that already ignores the legend rule, and that he's a 5 drop so he's meant to be played right after you play his sons on turns 3 and 4.

King Delmuth by Mystic Mongol

Would this cause a draw if you had two out? Can a static effect cause a draw if it causes an infinite "loop", and a number cannot be determined? I didn't bother asking the thread because I liked the card either way, and if it does cause a game ending draw then that's in the spirit of the contest, and exactly why two of them should not be allowed on the battlefield.

3rd Place
The White Prophet by The Gorp

What I liked most about this card is that it subverted the example I gave that duplicate legends should be more than just another body on the field. This card is just that, except for it boosts itself and the existing body on the field when it comes down. So it basically does exactly what I did not want it to do, but dances around it well. It also has the bonus of being useful in multiples either at the same time, or at different stages of the game. It has a nebulous play with the rules of the contest, yet still meets all of the criteria, and that's pretty cool.

I also like that he seems like a video game NPC that you meet every couple of towns.

2nd Place
Sorcerer King Khoumuned by Mystic Mongol

This guy is costed to be played right as you are running out of cards. One his own, he isn't bad in a deck tuned for him. You discard your hand at the end of the turn and make yourself helpless, but you can play all of the lightning bolts you want on your turn so long as you draw them. Eventually, that second land you draw this turn is going put a halt to your plans though. Having two of them out lets you filter past that land draw on your turn, but still leaves the disadvantage of discarding at the end of your turn in play.

1std Place
Guybrush Threepwood by Nebalebadingdong

Simple and blunt card with hidden tactics. Exert even makes it fair. Get two of these attacking, and anything that gets through does quadruple damage. Exert also encourages alternating Threepwood attacks so something is trying to get through for double every turn. A lot of potential combat decision making happening on both sides of the table if multiples of this guy get out.

Congratulations, Nebalebadingdong.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. Nebalebadingdong moves up into second.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I'm going to try something a little experimental, hopefully to increase design discussion and education.

Contest: Fixer Upper

I want you to pick a design from an earlier contest on the following criteria:
1) You didn't design it
2) It didn't win 1st place

And then I want you to redesign it to win that contest. You MUST follow the rules for that contest. Your redesign can be very minor modification or a total redo, just as long as some aspect of the old card still exists, even if its just flavor or bare concept. You can use a new name and art or not. If you would keep the original art, you can leave the new card's art blank and you won't be dinged that.

PLEASE POST A LINK TO THE ORIGINAL CARD AS PART OF THE SUBMISSION

Major bonus points will be given for:
1) explaining what you liked the original submission
2) explaining what the design's weaknesses were and how you fixed it

The OP has links to the more recent contests. To help you, I've provided links to several more previous to those.
Gotta Go Fast
Gimmick Tribes
Opposing Forces
Mulitplayer Madness
¡LUCHA! ¡LUCHA! ¡LUCHA!
Design a new Mechanic across all rarities
doggos!
Design a Card for Chewy's Awesome Fanset
Uncommon Ground
Stock Photos
Trap Cards
Magic Realism
Stronger Together
Transitory Cards
Lifelink
Halloween Spooktacular
Flipping Out
Timmy's Tokens
Vehicular Goonslaughter
Planeswalker Signature Cards
The Heist is on!
weird poo poo
Rehabilitate a Mechanic

Contest ends May 6th at Midnight, Central Time!

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Could you be more specific than "redesign it to win that contest"?
Each submission should require...

1. A contest
2. A card
3. ????

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Pretend like you're designing for the contest that card was submitted to

Like for example, if you were doing a card in Flipping Out (which was about coinflips that weren't win/lose) your redesign still has to be about coinflipping

e: i hope that makes sense :ohdear:

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 30, 2018

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I have lingering questions like "Do I change the contest entirely?" that are floating about.
Flipping out was about a heads/tails where neither is better than the other; could I make a card with two options that are equal and ignore the coin? What about keep the coin but make them uneven?
Because the original judge isn't evaluating the cards I feel like this theme is too open ended. It's literally every theme and we break the rules anyway.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

E: oops, misread

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

This contest is "design develop a card from a previous contest".

I was actually thinking of doing something like this next time I won, but specifically requiring the designer to fix a card that lost one of their own contests (or one of mine if they never ran one)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The Gorp posted:

I have lingering questions like "Do I change the contest entirely?" that are floating about.
Flipping out was about a heads/tails where neither is better than the other; could I make a card with two options that are equal and ignore the coin? What about keep the coin but make them uneven?
Because the original judge isn't evaluating the cards I feel like this theme is too open ended. It's literally every theme and we break the rules anyway.

You're not changing anything about the contest. You're taking a card that didn't win in a previous round and "fixing it" as if you were making a new entry into that old contest. In your example, taking the coin flip or the balanced outcomes out of the card wouldn't fly because you need stay within the rules of the original contest for that card.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I don't mind throwing up something else if folks think this is confusing or has too many hoops to jump through. You have til 7pm to change my mind!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm on board with this idea, and think it's neat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I totally get it. It's a cool idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
On board and contributing:

Lack of Bear made this guy for the 0 Toughness challenge. I really like that it has little text and really gets the flavor across that this guy is TRYING SO HARD to be a good necromancer but, man, does he need a hand. Maybe he'll get the hang of it sophomore year. The name doesn't really sell that flavor, though, and the card is pretty weird as it stands. As it was noted, it's a way to double up on creature-death triggers, which is cool but I don't think it fits this card.

I made it more complicated:

First of all, like every necromancer since Diablo 2, this guy comes with a buddy. Like every good necromancer, he makes his buddies stronger and stronger as he does, and when he dies they crumble to ash. And like every great necromancer, for him death is only the beginning...