Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Fixed hydra, unbroke fake modern.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe it's to keep the ability from being cheated out somehow?

There really isn't any way in the game to activate an ability of a permanent without paying its cost. Note that this doesn't stop you from copying this with illusionists bracers or rings of brighthearth.

AJ_Impy posted:

Dark Depths.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

You could get a turn 4 20/20 flying indestructible Marit Lage and an extra turn. I made it harder to do that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't think you should be worried about dark depths combo in modern. Also it's turn 5.

e: and I was more responding to what dark depths had to do with adorn doing anything on the first iteration of the card.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 12, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think you should be worried about dark depths combo in modern. Also it's turn 5.

e: and I was more responding to what dark depths had to do with adorn doing anything on the first iteration of the card.

There's more than just dark depths. Thing in the Ice is also a great combo piece with it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Isn't the new version then better using thing in the ice, since you can cheat out more turns in a row?

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Well with Thing in The Ice by itself you would need more counters to activate the extra turn and to reach Adorn 10.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lack of Bear posted:

Well with Thing in The Ice by itself you would need more counters to activate the extra turn and to reach Adorn 10.

Both versions have adorn 10. The new one only has you remove 5 counters instead of 10.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Yeah that is on purpose. It keeps it from being nuts with Dark Depths and has the added bonus of not making your extra turn completely nerf your whole field. I think having it move down to adorn 5 would be too easy to activate. I am happy with it as is.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
How does being better in modern make it unbreak modern? It seems to better in all cases except when going off with dark depths. That's what I was getting at.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 12, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dr. Stab posted:

How does being better in modern make it unbreak modern? That's what I was getting at.

Previously, the "win the game" combo went something like this:
Have four lands and Time Scrivener in play.
Play Dark Depths
Activate Time Scrivener, remove 10 counters from Dark Depths, get your beatstick, get an extra turn, probably win the game.

Now, it goes
Have four lands and Time Scrivener in play.
Play Dark Depths
Activate Time Scrivener, remove 5 counters from Dark Depths, get an extra turn where you are unable to activate Time Scrivener on your extra turn since there's only 5 counters in play.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Entries are closed. Judgment is in progress.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Dark depths is not a modern legal card.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Well that makes more sense. You should have just said that in the first place. I don't play Modern. My mistake.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 13, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Definitely a hard time judging.

Honourable mention:

I like this as an overrun effect in a devotion strategy.

3rd:

Interesting. I like the way they turn on during the opponent's turn, and the way they turn cards like Words of Wisdom, Vision Skeins and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea into tactical tricks.

2nd:

I love it. Addresses the problem of discard cards going dead and gives you a nice payoff, reminiscent of Guul Draz Specter.

Again, takes a problem (Edict effects get worse the more creatures your opponent has) and comes up with an elegant solution without feeling overpowered. Congratulations, Entropic!

Spreadsheet updated.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
poo poo, I haven't checked this thread in ages and didn't have a plan for if I won. I'll see if I can come up with something tomorrow at work otherwise you guys gotta wait til Saturday!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
New Contest: JOLLY GREEN GIANTS

Show me your best Big Dumb Green Beef

I'm looking for a big (I'm thinking 5/4 or bigger) green (mono-green for preference!) creature with a simple but evocative design.

We're talking Timmy cards here.
Something that looks powerful and exciting straight out of the pack. I don’t want to have to read it three times to see if it’s good. If your design has so many lines of rules text that the font makes me squint then you’ve probably missed the mark.
Show me something that makes me grin and want to sleeve up my basic forests and Llanowar Elves.

Doesn't have to be rare. In fact, bonus points if you can come up with a cool design that doesn't feel overpowered for uncommon or common. Show me your payoff for drafting the green ramp deck!

You can use whatever mechanics you want, even make up your own, just so long as it's easily grokkable. Bonus points for something that all on its own implies something really cool about the set / draft environment it would be in.

But mainly it's got to be big, straight-forward, and green.

Good luck, and credit your artists.

Contest closes Friday night, Dec 21st.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Natura, the Last World Tree
GGGGGGGG
Mythic Rare
8/8
Legendary Creature - Treefolk
Trample

Nonbasic lands are Forests.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That seems a little OP

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Apologies for the bad artwork, I couldn't find any good images of something that was at the right place between 'leopard' and 'lizard'.

Also, hopefully the slight overuse of not-actually-keywords isn't too bad? I understand if that kind of takes it out of the running though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Made a less bizarre version of Natura.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

If you’re gonna put multiple new abilities on a card you gotta make it clear what is what, you can’t just have one big jumble of reminder text. And you don’t need to reminder text Trample my dude.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Entropic posted:

That seems a little OP

Compare Sylvan Awakening, Ambush Commander, Avenger of Zendikar, Vengevine and Thornling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Natura, the Last World Tree
GGGGGGGG
Mythic Rare
8/8
Legendary Creature - Treefolk
Trample

Nonbasic lands are Forests.

Edit: Whoops, broken link.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 14, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this might be playable in limited but I find it wholly unexciting and I don't think it's just because I'm an old jaded cynical magic player

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, yeah, but what a cute ability.

(It would possibly be better at 6/5, though, kind of a spin on an easier-to-cast Vulpine Goliath.)

Also, hilarious niche, it fizzles Asphyxiate and Backlash.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I'm looking for a big (I'm thinking 5/4 or bigger)

Is 4/6 large enough? If not I can tinker with it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

EDIT: And a resubmission

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 15, 2018

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 16, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Is 4/6 large enough? If not I can tinker with it

Sufficiently beefy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hardcordion posted:

EDIT: And a resubmission

I like the first one, mostly because the flavour text sells it, though I think uncommon might be pushing it for rarity.

For the second one, that's cute, but I don't think Fuse and split cards can actually really work for creatures like that.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Entropic posted:

For the second one, that's cute, but I don't think Fuse and split cards can actually really work for creatures like that.

That's quite likely. The theme it was originally designed for was something along the lines of "put mechanics where they don't belong"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean, you've cleverly made it so both sides will end up in the same place by the end of the turn, but how to we physically represent the board state in the second main phase if the haste half died in combat?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Changed it to a cast trigger.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Entropic posted:

If you’re gonna put multiple new abilities on a card you gotta make it clear what is what, you can’t just have one big jumble of reminder text. And you don’t need to reminder text Trample my dude.
Here is Spotted Baloth with reminder text reshuffled. Sorry for the confusion.