Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh hey, used to do card creation contests all the time over on PureMTGO a few years back.

Here's the original: Rullor Dav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Zephirum posted:

This one just needed a push to be a positive investment of resources. A repeatable Dark Rit is very exploitable so I hope the cost balances it out.

Islatsosce Merpents... just, Islatsosce Merpents.

That's a very weak Lake of the Dead and a plausible but expensive Psychogenic Probe. Think about Cabal Coffers and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx: 3 is the break even point if you're paying 2 and tapping a land to get mana. As it stands that's some nasty card disadvantage and no upside over just running a basic swamp.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 17, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Poison Mushroom posted:

More card opinion times!

Rullor Dav: If there's a particular award for artistry in "make sense of an 'old computer' card". this might get it. How you interpreted Totalwolk is brilliant and I wish that ability existed on a real card. I know you were sticking as close to the card as possible, but I think it might work better as a 2/1, though. As a 1/1, the ability is basically useless on its own without a buff of some kind.

You're in luck, it does exist on a real card. Admittedly a draft fodder evasive creature from a terrible set over a decade and a half ago, but it's there. I avoided going for a higher power owing to how it scaled: It starts out as just a look at your or your opponent's next draw, but stick any equipment on it and you can fateseal lock your opponent, Jace the Mind Sculptor style. I thought that was worth requiring the extra effort, and makes the card play better by incentivizing your opponent to tap out once it becomes that manner of threat, but an ignorable steady source of damage unboosted.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Or, for extra annoyance, the near-illegible full art version:

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 21, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's hearken back to something iconic from the very beginning..

Not entirely a new concept: Soulfire Grand Master did something similar for instants and sorceries whilst Sydri, Galvanic Genius can do it for artifacts if she turns them into creatures first, but putting lifelink and deathtouch on noncreatures is both viable and can cause all sorts of nastiness. Planeswalkers which deal damage love this, and there are quite a few damage-dealing lands such as Desert or Keldon Necropolis which get that much better. Stick it on an Aether Flash, run indestructible or regenerating creatures. Make Talon of Pain into a self-replenishing pinger. Nullify the drawback from Torture Chamber.Speed up Five-Alarm Fire. Plonk it on Caltrops or Lightmine Field for maximum Moating. All this and more!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

BagOfDucks posted:

I know the mechanic was previously colorless, but I really don't want to drag Maro's color theory into this...

Leyline of Singularity was blue, legendariness manipulation seems about right there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I was worried at first that this was too narrow/dry a contest theme. Then the first day's entries blew me away. Now activity's dried up and I'm back to thinking it was too narrow.

There's still a couple days left to make some sweet Auras!

Fine, I'll do another one.

I'll see your narrowest animate dead and go narrower! Some planeswalkers produce emblems, usually as an ultimate. They generally couldn't be messed with, until now. Includes bonus planeswalker manipulation for fun and profit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Krosan Verge meets Land Tax, collects a Tithe which is a veritable Gift of Estates, then goes off exploring for White Orchids in Oreskos.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 4, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Undying, the mechanic from Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored representing evil things coming back from the grave stronger than ever to do horrible things to the living. It touched four of the five colours, but as with Persist, White does have a stake in self-recurring creatures. Let's just shake up the initial conditions and make it need to be a bit more selfless...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, that's interesting. Probably too hard to remove for limited, but in constructed, that would make a really fascinating mental puzzle, about just when and how to make it vulnerable to removal (when it's the only creature left without shroud)

Funnily enough, it dies to wrath effects since it can't be in play with no counters (short of an Anthem), but it does save the rest of the team. (Except from things like Languish, Mutilate, Black Sun's Zenith, Flowstone Slide or Marsh Casualties.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Elyv posted:

This card by itself gives you infinite etb/ltb triggers if you have another creature, dunno if that's intentional. You keep activating and removing counters in response to previous removal of counters.

This is correct: I thought about adding in a clause to prevent that or making it a tap, remove X counters activation. but on the whole I considered that to be no worse than Melira/Persist combos which are still modern-legal.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
He's right in that you can activate the ability in response to itself, and the state-based death after you remove the last counter triggers the undying on top of the stack, but since this results in the creature leaving play, there's a window of opportunity to kill the target before anything resolves.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I was thinking about submitting a 'tap, remove x counters, prevent x damage' white undying card to get around some of the problems, but definitely 'cool idea, too many rules considerations' territory.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Big, iconic tribe, never had a lord. How's this? If the terms seem a little unfair, you don't have to sign...

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 31, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Doppelgangleader amuses me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Looks human to me, otherwise that's beautiful in form and function.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Take a look at the BFZ/OGW creatures that give land creatures abilities. "Other Planeswalker Gideon Creatures" should cover it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Planeswalkers are individuals possessed of a Spark, which, if it ignites, gives them the ability to traverse the blind eternities. Sparks are phenomenally rare, sparks that ignite even more so. Entities as powerful as Yawgmoth and Memnarch have sought ways to transfer a spark to themselves: Ironically, Yawgmoth pretty much succeeded at the first try, traping Glacian's spark, one of his contemporaries, in a powerstone, without realising it. That stone split into the Mightstone and Weakstone, which when reunited gave Urza the ability to planeswalk, and after him, Karn the Silver Golem.

So, empirically, it can be done. If you have some means of acquiring a spark, you can make any Joe Schmoe a Planeswalker. Perhaps something like this:

Bear in mind Sparks are rare, and there's only one in the engine: The new Sparked subtype is still subject to the Planeswalker rule, so as with Glacian, Urza and Karn, you can still only have one around at a time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tezzeret not getting compleated and subsumed stood out like a sore thumb in SoM block. So, one phyrexianised planeswalker:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
In Constructed, all the cards in your opponent's sideboard are at least constructed-worthy, even if irrelevant. In limited, your opponent's sideboard is filled with all kinds of 13th-15th pick chaff, often entirely off-colour. What better way to mess up your opponent than loading their deck with cards they can't even cast?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Poison Mushroom posted:

I feel like making a draft-effect card is kinda cheating.

Change it from shuffling to exchanging with the top cards of their deck, and it's suddenly very good.

Fair point, but no need to take cards out. Bigger decks have higher variance even if they shuffle the gunk away.

Revised version:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Last minute forgot-about-this-when-I-was-on-holiday post!

We haven't had a good Living Death effect for a while, we don't have anything that solely reanimates Planeswalkers despite a couple of cards that reanimate any permanent.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 10, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The one character that can beat just about all of them. Also a great babysitter, though that's trickier to represent in card form. Predator Ooze meets Verdant Force in a splashy mythic that may look weak at first glance, but which can be surprisingly dominant on the battlefield.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tollymain posted:

"here's an example of what not to do"

*immediately creates an entry with exactly as many keywords*

'What not to do' was pile on every conceivable ability onto one card, such as the four extra things to represent Superman's reluctance to use violence, leadership, heat vision and whichever one of his laundry list of powers is represented by tapping things. Squirrel Girl basically does two: Defeat everyone else and get squirrels. Anyway,

AJ_Impy posted:

Also a great babysitter, though that's trickier to represent in card form.

Self-imposed alter-ego card challenge go!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Basically Equipment or Fortification for nonland, noncreature, non-planeswalker permanents, adding all sorts of baroque extras to them.

Who doesn't want to install a rose window in their gearhulks, thopter tokens or retreats to Kazandu?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Veyrall posted:

Unbalanced because I need some serious help templating these bastards
I'll do what I can.

quote:

Invocation is the one-time buff version, while Dweomer is basically a sorcery that becomes an enchantment, but it's vulnerable to graveyard hate and counter-spelling. I know what I want both of them to do, but making them stick and be balanced is getting me. And, yeah, they're parasitic, but I don't think parasitism is completely unacceptable if it promotes fun gameplay.

Variant Splice. Dweomer really needs an attach cost, Invocation might just get away with it if you cost it like Rebound or Haunt. Be very careful you don't make an 'oops all spells' win condition if Invocation stays free. Black Utterance looks fair, compares to Black Sun's Zenith for 1. Thundering Thoughts acts as an engine in the Dweomer deck, if there's any other cantripping Dweomers it gets very dangerous. Might need to be costed like Cipher, IE too costly to do much outside of limited.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
What would it take for the big iconics to make an enemy-colour splash? What would it cost them to do so? Let's find out.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

For all of its flaws, there were at least a few things that Yu-Gi-Oh does right, and one of them is making tribes feel important and cohesive. (They also tend to overcorrect in the other direction, but that's a discussion for another thread.) So why don't we rip some pages from their book?

So, that's Coat of Arms, Xenograft, two interesting and original cards, and Extinction? That'd be two cards that somewhat amusingly predate the debut of Yu-Gi-Oh TCG altogether.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tribe-infecting Virus is somewhat distinct from Extinction, too, in that you target a changeling with it, it's a wrath effect. In other words, a better Endemic Plague. Regardless, Malicious Infector looks very nice.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yikes. That last one with a changeling gets +234/+234.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, I'm figuring out a more elegant workaround than just limiting the per-turn activations or limiting it to non-shapeshifter creatures, which solves the Changeling problem but looks so, so bad.

Remove all creature types from a creature you control?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ungulateman posted:

I feel like you designed this card and then tried to force it into a cycle (which is something I do all the drat time, trust me). It's probably a bit weak, but it's interesting enough that I'd want to try it in some variant of a W/B token strategy.

Yeah, pretty much, and that was indeed the first.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Right then. Let's mix in Eldritch Moon's body horror/merging creatures together with Innistrad's tribal themes and mechanics and see what wakes up on the slab.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
For the 'Red/Blue creature' category, let's get a fun little enters the battlefield effect.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's get everything your opponents did not stop you killing or driving off, everything they have spent or sacrificed for their own benefit, all of it, and let's bring it back, and turn it against them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

quote:

why do you keep your opponent from getting more cards you can cast?

Same reason as with Yawgmoth's Will: They're cards you can cast. Otherwise when they resolve they return to a zone you can cast them from again, letting you chain them with themselves indefinitely. Making it one-sided is doable but would be kludgy and wordier.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Something which hasn't been seen since Shadowmoor, tweaked, partially colourshifted and taken in a couple of intriguing extrapolations.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 8, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

"If your opponent is playing green, you win."

An overrun-style game ender/stalemate breaker seemed appropriate.

Elyv posted:

Your second card is missing p/t(2/2 I assume)

Thanks, fixed. And yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I mean, the difference Overrun makes you win if you have a good board, whereas this makes you win if your opponent has a good board. Overrun can't just win you the game out of nowhere from an empty board.

Which is why this costs more and has a higher colour requirement, in colours that respectively can punish overcommitment to the board and can win from an inferior board position with burn/turn creatures against their controller.