Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know this thread was back. I loved the one from a few years back, even if I was awful at it.

I like the idea of a hydra whose heads stick around after they're lopped off, and maybe even get eaten again by the hydra proper for a small boost of energy.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

A few more:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I think you have this backwards. The opponent can choose 0 and nothing will happen.

Oh, whoops. The logic isn't backwards - if it was inverted, you'd get situations where you, say, scry 5 or something, and I wanted either one to be approximately equal in value - but I didn't consider the 0 case. Let's change it - twiddling is probably a little less value on average, but it seems useful enough:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

One more - workposting again so no mockup.

Ethergorger Hydra 3GGW
Creature - Hydra
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile any number of target artifacts or enchantments an opponent controls until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield.
CARDNAME's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards exiled with it.
X/X

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 20, 2018

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The Den cycle takes place in Return to Return to Return to Ravnica, when the guilds have, for Plot Reasons, have all started exhibiting cult-like behavior. The Den cycle rewards players for playing their colors by making it easier to cast that guild's multicolor cards. This cycle was widely regarded as too narrow to be useful, and have been relegated to bulk fodder.

Theros 2: The Sequel To Theros added the Gateway cycle, a cycle of enemy-color lands with basic land types that enter the battlefield untapped. The rider seems harmless at first, but it shut off utility lands tapping for colorless mana, and combined with a long-awaited reprint of Spectral Searchlight, as well as several other cards with the 'downside' of giving your opponents mana, the cycle saw limited play in Standard, with better reception in aggressive decks in Modern.

With Zendikar 3: The Search for More Money came a new cycle of lands - Hedrons, better known now as 'burstlands'. They saw middling reception, but a niche Modern combo deck that uses Scapeshift to grab many Hedrons, which all die simultaneously to generate a ton of mana that's dumped into a lethal Banefire or Torment of Hailfire has kept the price around the $5 mark. Despite this, however, the Banescape Torment deck remains solidly tier 2.5.

This is stretching the definition for what's allowed so you're not getting any fun flavor for this one :colbert:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 21, 2018

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

vvv :effort:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2018

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Workposting, but I had an idea.

Black Jack, High Roller 3RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Jack
CARDNAME can't be damaged.
0: Each player exiles the top card of their library face-down. Any player may activate this ability.
0: Each player reveals all cards exiled with CARDNAME. The players with the highest total converted mana costs of the revealed cards may put one revealed card onto the battlefield under their control. Then each player puts all other cards exiled with CARDNAME into their owner's graveyards. Any player may activate this ability.
0: Each player puts all cards exiled with CARDNAME into their owner's graveyards. Any player may activate this ability.

He's a planeswalker to get around the rules baggage of 'a player may activate one, but only one, of these per turn'. Plus, seemed like a fun way to get a gambling-themed 'walker, even if it is, to a degree, just a glorified enchantment

e: man the text for this card extremely doesn't fit on a planeswalker.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gurmag Angler variant. Probably unplayable as a 4/2 but probably too good as a 4/3.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 14, 2018