Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

'Create a token' is new wording from Kaladesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also in the vein of enchant players you could conceivably put on different players:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah all you really need to do with MSE is type words in boxes and double click to add a picture.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks. I will post the new contest shortly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lands with non-mana effects

Over a third of your deck can often just sit around producing mana, but sometimes lands can be much more. They can be payoffs for archetypes, mana sinks or even win conditions in and of themselves. This contest is about lands that have at least one ability not related to mana production/fixing. This includes "mana sink" effects like manlands, sac effects like the Blighted cycle, triggered abilities and abilities activated from outside the battlefield like cycling.

I would particularly like to see lands that are unique mechanically or in how they play out. When judging I will also be thinking about balance and whether they'll lead to interesting gameplay.

Closing date: Friday, 14th October.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 4, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oops. I'll say Friday, 14th October just because it will be easier for me on Friday.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For the purposes of this competition it's OK to do lands that don't produce mana, even if they wouldn't be printed any more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's cool to see so much activity in the competition. I think I should issue a slight clarification on how I'll be judging this since my initial criteria was vague. I did mention "balance", but I didn't say what format I expected it to be balanced for.

You can aim the power level at any commonly played format, so I'll regard a card as "balanced" if I think it can do good but not oppressive things in stuff like Legacy, Modern or Standard. If I think a card could be broken but I'm not sure I'll probably give you the benefit of the doubt if it's only dangerous in shells designed towards the land. I'm a lot less likely to if the land's power mostly arises from it having a very low opportunity cost to the extent that it would end up in almost all on-colour decks (although that might still be OK if I think it would lead to good gameplay).

I will also give some credit for elegant/intuitive designs, although that's not a major focus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OK I'll set the deadline for this to be 21:00 GMT, in about 2 hours 40 minutes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat there were so many good entries. I've collected my favourites in this post. I ended up selecting the winners based on the ones that made me feel most excited personally while also trying to think about what interesting things the cards would be able to do.

Honorable mentions:

Zephirum posted:

no backsies
I think this is priced at a reasonable point to be a sideboard option against big artifacts. The mechanic also feels quite fun and the Relic templating gives it some flavor.
A reasonable take on Tabernacle for newer formats, seems like a good card for non-creature decks. I think the decision of whether you need a creature this turn may also be more meaningful than Tabernacle where you're mostly just forced to pay the cost.

I wouldn't want this in Standard due to lack of land hate, but I think this is reasonable in Modern.
I like the loyalty mechanic (suggesting Urza's power lingers even after death) and the overall balance of this card feels good. I don't think it leads to particularly unique gameplay/deckbuilding though. The fact that it's a repeatable on-board trick is also a bit of a mark against it, you can just hold it up each turn to make it awkward to block without any actual mana investment.

I quite like this. It seems very powerful but I like that it encourages you to play multiple spells each turn and to build your deck with a good mix of sorcery and instant speed effects. You don't get the normal sol land benefits of slamming big drops early, and it's actually not trivial to use both mana from it.

Seems busted in multiplayer though.
I think this effect is super neat, and really encourages you to use your sideboard as a resource to make this card good. It seems like a good way to allow maindeck answers to linear decks (eg graveyard based) without having them be super exploitable like wish-for-spells often are. That said I think its power could maybe be pushed a bit beyond the second version - it costs enough that it's probably going to sit dead some portion of the time. I'd probably have it ETB tapped or have the ability cost 1 personally, and I'd probably even just about let the first one slide.
Honorable mention just for the pun. The fact that it can infinitely untap itself is pretty bad though. Should probably be legendary and "untap another land" but that would spoil the joke.
Straightforward and cool. There have been similar effects like Gargoyle Castle but I like that an aggro deck can cash it in on just 3 lands to advance their boardstate.
Cool mana sink. I like that you can just charge value into it for later use and to help hedge against board clears/removal.

Winners:
Third: Rainbow Nexus by Lottery of Babylon
This card is super neat. An ETBT Mana confluence is something a five color deck could reasonably play, and it also acts as a payoff later in the game by being a land that, while expensive, can end the game in a couple of swings. I don't think this card is super powerful but I can imagine it being a popular build-around in 5c control shells in standard.
Second: Cliff by Lottery of Babylon
The flavour of this fits together perfectly and I like that it has an unusual drawback for an untapped "basic". I think it would also play out interestingly. It's probably not a card you want on turn 1 but it can jump your team for a surprise lethal. You can also build around it to some extent with Ball Lightning-style effects.

First: Sorin's Sexy Swingers Party by gangsines
No, seriously.

I actually really love this card. It's kindof a fun design for messing around in casual formats, but I think it also has some more serious potential as a "fixed" form of land hate against greedy decks.

In a 1-2 color aggressive deck you could probably work some of these in, and then since you hit the board early you could potentially mess up the fixing of a slower deck with more colors. This might have been a good tool in something like the Khans/BFZ standard, and it gets around some of the concerns about land hate because it doesn't reduce their total number of lands and has the drawback that they can get their land back if they get ahead on-board. Compared to the other land-hate cards I like this a lot more because it seems like less of a shutout - instead it's a generally fun card.

In terms of ~design elegance~ I like that the effect is easy to understand and that the card's downside (tapping for colorless) is also its upside. In terms of flavour it isn't something they could actually print but it is funny so hey.

Congratulations black potus!

Also shoutout to Lottery of Babylon for that one post with four lands that I really liked. I'll do another rough post with feedback on most of the other lands. I've been judging this for hours now so sorry if I missed something about your entry.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Note that as I said at the start I am using uniqueness as a fairly big criteria - if a card largely does something that an existing card already does that will count against it.

As a general comment on lands that are strictly better than basics: I'm fine with cards that are super strong, but I wanted them to be strong in a unique/interesting way. Having a card that's just a basic land plus a large upside (in some cases an upside so large it would probably be overpowered on a tapped colorless land) isn't really interesting - it's just something that would go into every deck. Legendary isn't really much of a downside either, it means you will always play at least one. In general it should be remembered that land abilities shouldn't be costed as if they are spells, they need to be weighed against the opportunity cost of playing your land over a basic.

On that note lands that don't tap for mana at were judged pretty differently because they don't have the inherent utility of producing mana. That means that situational/inefficient upsides that would be fine on regular lands aren't worth it there.

Too strong: There's a cool idea here but overall the costs just seem too low. It already provides you graveyard hate at an "OK" rate and running any way to kill/pick up your own land makes it ridiculous (imagine replaying it with bouncelands or whatever). I think there should probably be some cost associated with the second ability, and having it only trigger when the land dies makes more sense to me from both a flavor and a power level perspective.
Making the game as slow as molasses doesn't strike me as particularly interesting and it's probably broken if you deploy some cheap stuff before you play it/are playing Legacy Lands.
I actually think the first ability is very interesting and could fuel some kind of neat land milling deck (like that minor theme in SoI block). The second ability is just poorly thought through though, even though it does fit well with the first. It means you get completely free mana off fetches. Also while I'm OK with cards doing crazy poo poo I don't think "turn two victory with two of these and Hedron Crab" is what you were going for.

The second ability should definitely fetch the land tapped and should probably cost mana too.
Dampening Wave attached to a land seems too good to me. That said I do like the way you can mostly only use it to frustrate your opponent's attacks or their blocks each turn cycle.

Too weak: Consuming Abyss as discussed is much worse than storage lands. It's also mostly a land that just produces mana. The Hexmage effect could perhaps work on a land that taps for mana but this is an extremely conditional card, and since it doesn't tap for mana it doesn't have any of the upsides typically associated with being a land.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, if you don't just want to give that turtle the win, I've been on a Kaladesh kick.
The flavor/design is neat but I think this is too weak. It's a land that taps for no mana, and the upside is that you can keep a creature out of the game at the cost of 3 lands per turn but only after it's already got a hit in.
It's a pretty narrow upside for an ETBT land. That said it is sweet and I would totally have picked this in BFZ draft
As written this is a weaker Radiant Fountain. I assume it was meant to be templated to save you from death.
I'm afraid I don't get the reference.
The general idea is good but I think you've set it a bit too high at effectively a 5 mana sink before your effectively ETBT colorless lands do anything. Also the red and white ones in particular don't seem like they'd be that good during the super lategame.

Cards that I don't like for design reasons: This probably wouldn't be broken right now but I think giving a sol land with significant upside to an archetype just isn't good design. It leads to swingy gameplay depending on whether you draw the card or not and makes very ordinary looking cards busted.
I do like the idea of a vehicle land but I don't really like the statline on this one. While Crew 3 means it's probably not overly good I don't like that it just makes a giant blocker that's basically impossible to get through until your opponent finds instant-speed hard removal, that would just stall the board if the card were playable. Making it an artifact would actually somewhat address this concern by making it a little more vulnerable.
This largely does the same thing as Cathedral of War. I like Cathedral of War more since decks that are looking to beat down would probably prefer to have the land untapped and try to work around the color.
Kinda funny but I'm not really sure what this does? Seems pretty conditional although there could be some combo with it.

Skyl3lazer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/i43B3qp.png
This could be a neat payoff in some deck but it is a parasitic design space and I don't think it does something particularly unique to suspend/a thing that a suspend deck in particular would want.
I think this is too narrow to reasonably see play, you can't put that many Planeswalkers in your deck since they start at 3 mana and need creatures to protect them. I could imagine them printing something like this, although I really don't like cards that only interact with mythics and the response to Call the Gatewatch was similar.
The balancing effort on this is reasonable but I don't really like the gameplay it would lead to. If you're ahead on board you get free value on top of your basic, if you're behind you get screwed. Planeswalkers always have that aspect but they at least cost some mana and therefore force you to weigh up whether you can protect them in spite of tapping out for them.

Skyl3lazer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/IyT6E6L.png
This has the same problem as the other "just for Planeswalkers" card. The second ability is cool though, I'd like it more if it were attached to a more general first ability like tapping for colorless.

Decent power level/design that didn't make it into a higher category: This is a fairly clean design but I don't think it plays out particularly well. It will generally just be extremely good on the draw and pretty bad on the play. This is a cute take on a combined Maze of Ith/Man Land effect. This doesn't do anything too different from Dryad Arbor but it is balanced and pretty cute. I do like that it can act as an early blocker for slower blue decks though.
I think this is
I think this is costed about right to see some maindeck play. Color-wise it's a bit odd that black can't do either of these things but I do like the use of off-color activation.

Skyl3lazer posted:

(Alternate version we were discussing)
I think the original version of this card is actually reasonable. The effect is readily activable and repeatable so I think it would be too good on a land that taps for mana. I do quite like this effect from a deckbuilding perspective, I can imagine a value oriented deck playing a lot of cheap filtering and using this to grind out card advantage.
While similar to Khalni Garden the upside and downside vs that card are both logical and a free body is obviously way more valuable in a slivers deck. Typically those decks are very color intensive though so it might have trouble making its way in.
I appreciate what this is trying to do in terms of giving decks with fewer colors a way to push back against fast decks. I think it does that a bit too hard though, if you play this early it's pretty likely your opponent will never really get into the game. This kind of continuous prison effect is dangerous on an uncounterable and hard to kill permanent. Compared to the previous card I like this kind of effect more in standard as a hedge against lands that could otherwise be hard for decks to beat, eg manlands against control. It feels like too much of a shutout against fetches in older formats (which is where I think this would actually be played) though, just deleting most of your opponents lands on turn 2 doesn't seem like good gameplay. And as discussed before its on a land type that's hard to answer, particularly when it's immune to Wasteland from turn 2 onwards.
This is a neat and simple design that I wouldn't mind them printing. It doesn't particularly excite me though, I don't think the payoff is high enough to build around it super hard.
This seems fine to me, although stuff like Bojuka Bog has a fairly similar function.

TWIST FIST posted:

rather sloppy patch up
I quite like this in theory because it pushes your deckbuilding in a certain way and pays off uniquely. However, the fact that you can activate this over and over again with the same two cards makes it seem potentially oppressive. I'd probably introduce some kind of mechanic to limit how many times it can activate (counters? saccing?) and maybe some anti-flicker clause.
I really like the model you've used for quests. The fact that it's just an ETBT basic for several turns allows you to do something super powerful with the reverse side. However, the reverse side in this particular case basically just makes it very difficult for your opponent to attack into you profitably because you can just keep trading lands for their creatures. I'd rather see a more proactive reverse side that helps you win the game.
A land that creates Eldrazi Spawn is a cool way to do an ETBT colorless "storage land". It's a simple template for something that's normally quite complex and the flavor is cool. If it were just that I'd probably put it in honorable mentions, but the exile ability is a pretty ridiculous form of inevitability to put on a land and I'm not convinced that being exposed to removal mitigates that enough since it has 4 toughness (and is therefore a good blocker early on too). If the body died to bolt/shock I might be more willing to see it that way.
This is a reasonable fixer, I could imagine this at uncommon. It's somewhat out of the scope of the competition though.
The mana producing ability looks cool but this mostly amounts to a more fiddly/worse version of Reflecting Pool. It protects your manlands which is kindof neat, although I don't think manlands need to be any harder to kill really.
This card seems well balanced overall but I'm not sure the modality adds very much compared to it just being 3 abilities. It does remind your opponent about your on-board trick I guess. A lot of the time it seems like it would just be an annoying prompt/thing to miss in your upkeep.

Elyv posted:

Candelabra's Base

Land - R

T: Add {C} to your mana pool.
X, T: Untap X other target lands.
I quite like this. It supports the "stack auras on a forest" playstyle that you occasionally see in modern, and also rewards you for playing bouncelands and the like. I think it should be legendary though, it going infinite would probably come up quite a lot because you'd always want to play it in a deck with a tonne of ways to produce multiple mana out of one land.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a two-card combo than a 3-card one, and what's more there's basically always something in standard that would deliver a kill with infinite death/etb triggers (eg right now you could use Zulaport Cutthroat).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fateful Hour was only on 7 cards, and represented the forces of good fighting back in the most desperate of situations. But perhaps it could also represent the grim determination of those who are prepared to sacrifice everything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is the intended use of the card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a reason they try to design around this stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Behind every great warrior stands an army of bureaucrats.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neat. I'll put up a contest tomorrow.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Non-creature tokens
Tokens have mostly just been a way to put a lot of bodies on the board. There has been some experimentation with other tokens recently, but I think there's a lot more interesting space to explore.

Feel free to use any non-creature permanent type. Your submission should involve a new kind of token rather than an effect that creates a copy of an existing permanent. I don't mind whether the tokens appear on a single card or if it's part of a theme along the lines of clues - in the latter case you should make a few cards to illustrate what you're doing with the theme.

The factors I will be considering when judging your card or mechanical theme:
1. Uniqueness: does it do something new, that makes good use of the token aspect?
2. Gameplay: would it be fun to play with?
3. Elegance: do all elements of the design mesh well together? Does it have complexity that goes beyond its textbox?
4. Flavor: I don't expect detailed lore but I like it when what a card does makes intuitive sense.
5. Power level: will the card be able to do things in a format without being broken? I don't mind which format the power level is aimed at, as long as the card is not blatantly broken or unplayable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sorry I forgot to post the closing date. I'll close this tomorrow when I get back (in about 34 hours).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sorry I managed to just forget about this again. Honorable mentions:
Fuzzy Mammal: Osteo Extraction The flavor of this card is very cool, and flooding the board with cheap equipment is a pretty cool effect that I could imagine being a mechanic at some point. It lets your guys scale up into the lategame and is very flexible.
Lottery of Babylon: "Arrest"
I think the lengthiness of the textbox is offset by this being a common effect that almost all players will be familiar with. The flavor on these cards is on-point and it feels like a unique effect that would be hard to do without these tokens.

Winner:
Poison Mushroom: Enchanters I think this is a pretty cool take on a "tribe". Rather than flooding the board you're encouraged to play and protect just a few enchanters so they can gradually generate a powerful enchantment presence. I like that the abilities are instant-speed sinks, which encourages a style where you hold up mana to protect your guys. I particularly like Warbeacon as a take on the Assemble the Army win condition, and Lawcrafter as a way to shut down your opponent's board.

Congratulations Poison Mushroom!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first one does just let you exile your whole library, playing any 0 mana cards in the process.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the cycle in general but the Esper one seems too strong. -2/-0 for all creatures makes it really hard for your opponent to accomplish anything meaningful on-board, and it isn't costing you much for that effect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that it gives your opponent life does make it harder to abuse in aggro and combo decks. You could probably break it in eternal formats but IDK about standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was fine as it was:

quote:

614.5. A replacement effect doesn’t invoke itself repeatedly; it gets only one opportunity to affect an event or any modified events that may replace it.
Example: A player controls two permanents, each with an ability that reads “If a creature you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals double that damage to that permanent or player instead.” A creature that normally deals 2 damage will deal 8 damage—not just 4, and not an infinite amount.
Otherwise a card like Chains of Mephistopheles would go infinite on itself.

e: I also prefer the original "first card" wording, it seems bad to have a loophole that lets people cast all their instant speed draw during their drawphase to avoid this effect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also seems like an unintuitive card - you can use it as a Goryo's Vengeance but you mostly have to do it in your opponent's end step.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Not sure if it being counterable when cast as a 1/1 for (X)G is that relevant.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The elephant seems like it could lead to a gamestate where both players are just handing it back and not drawing any more cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is a neat idea, but it seems really weak. Also your spawn tokens don't sac for mana unless you add that rider to the creation text.
I guess they're not supposed to get that, otherwise the plus would be better than the minus. They shouldn't be called Spawn in that case though.

I think the power level is actually OK for a 1 mana card, but it's weird to associate Emrakul with a low impact planeswalker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

President Ark posted:

resubmission:
Murderous Rider ended up being weirdly similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012