Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Kind of super overpowered but no idea how to make it fair.

Probably just the first spell.

Whenever a player casts his or her first spell each turn, counter that spell unless that player pays {x} where ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A simple cross of Ancient Ziggurat and Cavern of Souls. With no ◇ ability it's narrow enough that it might even be printable!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This plus a fetchland is 1 mana ahead of schedule for no card investment. Not ancient tomb but probably too good for modern play. Also it should be lands you control going to the graveyard as these sorts of things are nonsymmetric nowadays.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

e: buffing a little cuz why not.
e2: Following AJ's suggestion to add Human

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man I really love this stipulation. Finding abilities or mechanics that click with a tribe is a great challenge.

Gnomes have always been about sacrificing themselves so some recursion seems a nice fit.

And Soritami are also pretty well themed. Though Scry and Prowess weren't evergreen back in Kamigawa block.

Noggles are just wacky UR dudes I dunno.

There are quite a few creature types that only appear on tokens, so I thought something that worked with them, but indirectly through their parent type would be cool.

And *that* got me thinking about more token-only types and I tried a top down design.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
An alternative to blood moon, but also good against red.

You at least get one use out of your lands...

I liked the idea of 1/1 equipment makers. Kind of like +1/+1 counters but more flexible. You could make them lots of ways. This one seemed pretty clean and flavourful.

And, a top down design. Could probably be made way better but it doesn't need to be.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

You have seriously undervalued indestructible, especially permanent indestructible. Until end of turn would still be really good. Until end of the game is way too strong, and also is a magic no-no because it doesn't leave any visual reminders on the card.
I am aware of those points, and actually looked at using divinity counters for the indestructable, or granting protection but it was much clunkier. Maybe making it sorcery speed would balance it a bit. Memory issues aren't likely to be a problem with a splashy centerpiece legendary mythic imo.

noted on timg.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok a couple more based around a damage token, similar to clues or gold. Probably wreaks havoc with the colour pie, unless you really do things like tie it to the power of a creature in green, for example.

Your basic common burn spell:

And a Pongify variant:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Might as well start with the easy ones.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I am dying to smugly show off my clever aftermath names so someone please make the next challenge that tia.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If not we can just use normal split cards for now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Technically tear contains fuse text but w/e

This one's my favourite

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Making the second half synergistic with the first is proving quite difficult.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All right! Thanks, Lottery. I'll come up with a topic for tomorrow morning.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The next contest will be to design: Mana Rocks

Usually colourless artifacts themselves, mana rocks tap to ramp, splash, filter, or more exotically cantrip or animate themselves. They range in strength from power 9 and edh staple to limited late pick. They range in complexity from the basic to rather complex.

To focus the scope a little bit, I'd like entries to be fit power-wise in to a modern day expansion or commander product, where commons and uncommons serve a limited purpose (common would somewhat conform to NWO principles, an uncommon would frequently be part of a splash enabling cycle or two colour theme), constructed playables and splashy edh targets are rare, and a mox level card is clearly mythic.

Feel free to fix broken cards of the past, pair the mana ability to set mechanics or new mechanics, or make parts of cycles.

I will evaluate cards based on,

1) Cohesiveness. Does the card feel printable? A splashy rare, powerful first pick uncommon like a signet, limited 22nd pick, et cetera.
2) Creativity. Does it do something new? Is it a fresh take on a series of similar cards we've seen before?
3) Execution. Templating and flavour/concepting, basically.
4) Taste. My taste I guess :)

Today's Wednesday the 17th, so let's leave it open until EOD Saturday the 27th. Good luck!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's cool. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to have the hybrid be off colour even, as CD mana is more useful to players than CC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I guess delve kinda proved this impossible, but I always wondered whether a legendary mox that had {t}, exile a card from your graveyard:" was truly out of the question. In standard it doesn't seem any worse than mox opal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol and I actually thought to myself, "People get annoyed at all the ellipses use these days, I'll skip it." while posting that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks the entries seem to be coming a bit slow so I'll cut it short and make the submission cutoff EOD Wednesday instead of Saturday and I'll try and finish the judging on Thursday.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Okey doke. Thanks for your submissions everyone.

Honourable mentions:

My second favourite attaching type card. Though the bestow - aura subtype interaction probably makes it too rulesy for an actual set.

Another excellent 2 cmc for colourless, with a little upside limited rock.

Obviously busted in eternal formats, but that's ok. It reminds me of the delve cards that were ok in limited and standard. It might be impossible to make a balanced mox by definition.

This is cute and hits the flavour, but I think allowing mana costs to be paid after the spell is on the stack means it doesn't work as intended.

This certainly embodies a mana rock commander. Bravo.

3rd place:

Could slot right in to Ravnica. Very nice.

2nd Place:

Perfectly clean, simple, and balanced.

Winner:
Voxic Quarry by Lone Goat.

I like this card best among the equipment/attaching theme of entries. Making something useful out of fortify is nice, and turning excess lands in to cards makes this an excellent and powerful topdeck. A physical mine fits the flavour well too. It could probably be simplified a bit given the unlikelihood of lands changing controllers.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm I'm not sure. Can't overrides can. Which is why most serpent text is like "can't attack unless" and things that animate walls say "as if it didn't have defender" to address just the one particular reason for being unable to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Catalogs for everyone