Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Welcome to The Americans, a mafia game for 15 players with flavour from the FX series of the same name, my favourite TV show of the moment.

The Americans: Outline
Set in the 1980s, The Americans follows the story of Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings, two deep-cover KGB agents living in the Virginia suburbs of DC, their family, their colleagues and the FBI team looking to uncover them. And wouldn't you know, one of these FBI agents just happens to be their neighbour across the road.

:siren: SPOILER WARNING :siren:
There have been 4 seasons so far, this game is set around about Season 3. If you haven't watched up to this point I will be as spoiler-free as possible, but it is inevitable that certain basic plot points will be revealed. Consider yourself warned.

What Type Of Game Is This?
The Americans is a show about espionage and deception at the height of the Cold War. It is also a show about families, shared experiences, and relationships even with people who profess to be our enemies.

I have tried to recreate some of the complexities here. This is not a standard mafia setup, and even people on your team may have different information and objectives.

I recommend that you are extraordinarily careful about claims and flavour in this game - a good cover story is essential in the intelligence business.

This is a role-light game. Some people have actions and some people don't. However, the term "vanilla" doesn't really make sense in this setup.

This setup is a little bit experimental for me and I am likely to stuff it up in a significant way. Please bear with me and I will endeavour to make the experience as fun as possible, even if it doesn't work out.

Should I Play?
This is not going to be the most accurate representation of mafia if you have never played before. Having said that, I always welcome new players and I will do my best to make this game enjoyable.

In line with the setting, this game will be slower and less irreverent than oh, I don't know, games based on another FX show.

Because of this, it is important that you pay attention.
It is also important that you participate and discuss things. If I feel you are not pulling your weight I will let you know about it.

Rules
  • Days are between 24 and 48 hours long, starting and ending around 11am AEST (I think this is 9ish PM US Eastern). If I resolve actions quickly enough I'll open up the thread early.
  • Don’t intentionally post between hammer and flip.
  • Votes will be majority of players to hammer (days can end in a no-interrogation).
  • [REDACTED] players may have been given fake flavour.
  • Using your win condition to out yourself or others in public is technically not against the rules but is incredibly dumb, I recommend you do not do this.
  • No editing posts. Make a clarification in a new post.
  • I'm usually pretty lax about deadposts which don't bear on the game directly, but keep it to a minimum this time.
  • Don’t directly quote mod PMs.
  • If you have any questions throughout the game, PM me.

Role FAQ: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles

Sample wincon
You are [REDACTED]-aligned. You win when there are no longer any threats to [REDACTED].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
  1. Bifauxnen
  2. Lid
  3. Moatillata
  4. Tommunist

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 12, 2016

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Хеы бирдстрике И wоулд лике то йоин тхис гаме. Хопе алл ис гоинг wелл ин тхе доwн ундерверсе

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I have never seen this show but this sounds like a very cool setup, in!

I'd also like to note before the game starts that I intend to ramble about American cultural minutia for my Australian friends regardless of alignment, so please do not read it as trying too hard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Nostarovya

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
VERY WELL!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i know i said i retire but i here for my boy

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i really enjoyed the americans as well

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hello yes im playing a birb game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like birb games. The initial OH GOD MUST DO EVERYTHING phase on Legion has faded too so now I can actually play mafs.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Mod update: Hey folks I'm going out to the countryside over the weekend, I'll be back Monday to start if we have enough players then. I'm hoping we'll pick some up from the soldiers game wrapping up.

The good news is that I wrote the role PMs last week, the bad news is that I haven't got linked pictures for each PM yet but that will take like what, an hour or so?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
can my pm have a picture of a dog?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hm

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
i'll play

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

As long as I'm not murdered for being American

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'll join bird game

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp posted:

can my pm have a picture of a dog?

bird im holding this to u ok

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

flerp posted:

bird im holding this to u ok

I don't actually recall any dogs on the show but okay.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
thank u

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Birdstrike posted:

I don't actually recall any dogs on the show but okay.

Capitalist pig dog

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey everyone I've closed the game unfortunately I wasn't able to get it off the ground. I have something else planned but for now I will share my terrible setup which you will probably see and think "wow I'm glad I didn't have to play that lovely setup."

I was inspired in part but CPig's FF1 multifaction game. There were three factions in this setup as below, representing to some degree the various characters / storylines in the show and their interaction (or lack thereof):

1. The Jennings Family
Factional Wincon: Wins when there are no longer any threats to this faction.
  • Elizabeth Jennings (In scumdoc, can perform NK. Nationality: American)
  • Phillip Jennings (In scumdoc, can perform NK. Nationality: American. ALT WINCON: Martha is alive at the end of the game)
  • Gabriel (In scumdoc, can NK, on N1 is told nationality of two random non-faction players. Nationality: Russian)
  • Paige Jennings (NOT in scumdoc but knows who teammates are, no night action. Nationality: American)
  • Henry Jennings (Not in scumdoc, no night action, does not know who teammates are. Nationality: American)

2. The Americans
Factional Wincon: Wins when there a no longer threats to faction
  • Stan Beeman (Each night may investigate a player's nationality. ALT WINCON: Nina is alive at the end of the game. Nationality: American)
  • Frank Gaad (Vanilla, American)
  • Agent Aderholt (Vanilla, American)
  • FBI Mail Robot (BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME/SHOW, Vanilla, American)
  • Anton Baklanov (Vanilla, Russian)
  • Martha (Vanilla, American. ALT WINCON: Phillip alive at the end)
  • Pastor Tim (Vanilla, American. ALT WINCON: Paige alive at the end)

3. Rezidentura
Factional Wincon: No longer any threats to Russia
  • Arkady (Vanilla, Russian)
  • Nina (Vanilla, Russian)
  • Oleg (Vanilla, Russian)

The nationality mechanic was designed as a super-weak cop/rolecop for town and scum.

The different factional wincons were kind of floaty so that
  • The American faction won when there was no NK and it controlled a majority of votes
  • The Family won when it couldn't be voted by a combination of the Americans and the Rezidentura (the Rezident didn't know who they were and mistakes could be made)
  • The Rezidentura won when there were no longer any American faction players

The alternate wincons were designed to add a level of intrigue outside of standard alignment and were designed to be secret (e.g. does Phillip tell Elizabeth about his Martha wincon? Can Elizabeth and Gabriel trust him)

If someone wanted to do a similar setup in future scum might be a bit OP with 5 players but obviously I never got to balance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
in conclusion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

• Locked thread