Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
allouratoms
Dec 18, 2015
I'm a dumb, naive 20-something year old Australian travelling to the US just after Christmas. My most affordable ticket options include a short stopover in Dubai International airport. I have no idea what to expect, and my girlfriend is vehement that I should book a more expensive flight that bypasses non-American stopovers (ie. Australia to Los Angeles or Houston). I really don't see a problem with Dubai, but I don't want to spend 3 weeks with an angry girlfriend during what should be an amazing trip.

Basically, any insight into the airport itself, yes/no opinions on whether or not to change the stopover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tell your girlfriend to pump her brakes. Dubai is a great airport. Everything is ultra modern and clean. Probably one of my favorite airports in the world to get stuck on a layover at.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

It is a surreal experience worth having at least once. That's going to be a crazy long trip though, see if you can manage an overnight layover so Emirates will put you in a free hotel.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Alpenglow posted:

It is a surreal experience worth having at least once. That's going to be a crazy long trip though, see if you can manage an overnight layover so Emirates will put you in a free hotel.

Depends on which side of the US he's going to. Since he mentions stopping in LAX or IAH for a possible layover I assume he's traveling to the East Coast. It's still a long flight but kind of a six of one, half dozen of the other thing. Emirates is a really nice airline, so I wouldn't worry about opting for a long layover. Certainly not by choice. However if you get stuck there for a bit, so be it. The terminal hotel is quite nice. With that said, there's plenty of lounges and sitting areas that can be used as beds and I've never felt unsafe there traveling by myself.

Take the cheap flight through DXB and enjoy the vacation with your girlfriend.

allouratoms
Dec 18, 2015
Yeah, spending New Year's in Massachusetts with my girlfriend and the in-laws. I'm looking at 30-odd hours of travel each way so an overnight probably wouldn't be too bad, but my girlfriend's almost certain that I'm going to get stolen because it's a huge place and I am a 120 pound white girl travelling across the world, on my own for the first time

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Everything there will be in English, and everyone working there will speak fluent English, for what it's worth.

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006
Everything will be fine with connecting in Dubai, Emirates have built up an entire business based on connecting people in their Dubai hub and deal with people from all over the world on a daily basis. A 120lb white girl is as normal as it gets for them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, I'm late to the party here but honestly you will be 100% fine in Dubai airport, even as a first-time female solo traveller. All the announcements are in English and French, and all of the signs are in English and Arabic, so you'll have absolutely no trouble getting around. And since Emirates fly to pretty much everywhere in the world, it feels like you're at a UN conference or something - standing in line for coffee with fat Americans, bogan Aussies, Afghans in robes, Africans in traditional dress.

I remember at one point Emirates would offer a free night in an airport hotel if you had an overnight layover of more than 8 hours, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Though if it's only an 8 hour layover, I wouldn't bother since by the time you clear customs, immigration, wait for the shuttle, check in etc you're only going to get a couple of hours sleep before getting back up to go back to the airport.

So yeah, go for Dubai. I've only been to a smattering of US airports but Dubai is nicer and more modern than all of them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What exactly does your girlfriend think is going to happen to you in an ultra-modern, extremely safe airport like Dubai? Is it because there might be ~Arabs~ there or something?

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
I think it's worth a few hundred dollars to shave 10 or so hours off of what would otherwise be a 30-hour trip if you can. If there's not much of a time difference between the routes, then by all means go through Dubai. But when you're traveling so far, cost isn't the only thing to take into consideration. I've traveled from the US and Canada to Australia and its neighbors many times, and long trips with 2+ layovers really aren't pleasant. If the routes with American-only layovers are substantially shorter, they're worth considering.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Bardeh posted:

What exactly does your girlfriend think is going to happen to you in an ultra-modern, extremely safe airport like Dubai? Is it because there might be ~Arabs~ there or something?

I kinda think a woman might be concerned about her girlfriend spending any extended period of time in a country where homosexuality is punished by jail time or the death penalty.

That said, the Dubai airport is great and for transit you don't have anything to worry about.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Notahippie posted:

I kinda think a woman might be concerned about her girlfriend spending any extended period of time in a country where homosexuality is punished by jail time or the death penalty.

That said, the Dubai airport is great and for transit you don't have anything to worry about.

Yeah that's fair enough, although if the OP is on her own and presumably not hooking up with strangers how would anyone know?

But agreed that you will have no problems at Dubai airport.

allouratoms
Dec 18, 2015

Notahippie posted:

This exactly.
Anyways, plans have changed and I'm no longer going through Dubai but thank you all for you input.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
A bunch of my colleagues just flew Emirates through Dubai and got screwed by Emirates being assholes in their Dubai hub. A typhoon at their destination kept them from taking off out of Dubai for 10 hours, but Emirates kept telling them it was a 4 hour delay every hour for the first 6 hours (since their policy is to give you a hotel room for a 5+ hour delay). Also most of them weren't able to leave the airport as they didn't have visas for the UAE.

I don't think any of them will fly Emirates again when work is paying for the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Not that it helps any (and I'm way late on this), but Emirates' transit hotel is actually outside of the airport - you have to go through immigration to get there.

Assuming Emirates knew they wouldn't have been allowed into the UAE, that may have been why they kept refusing to put them up in a hotel?

• Locked thread