Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Inquisitor Julio Kierkegaard XII, Ordo Hereticus

Front and Center

Julio smirks. All the subtlety and understatement of a raging bull grox. And far more destructive potential, which is what really mattered.

"It's nice to see you too, Polonia. And frankly, I still can't quite believe it myself, and it's been a decade. But if it makes you feel better: this time, he's not getting away. When it comes right down to it, I intend to shoot first and ask questions later. Fool me once, shame on you, Daizon. No one gets a second chance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Marchus

Marchus Drexler, Judge of the Adeptus Arbites, sits and waits. He's grown accustomed to patience in his years of service. Stakeouts, interrogations, trials... prison. Prison teaches you all about the nature of time. Somewhere in there is a lesson in relativity, but that's for the tech-magi to discuss such forbidden lore. Still, he's accepted that he must sit and wait. It's been nearly 9 hours but still he waits.

This isn't an interrogation of his own, he decided early on. None of the usual arbiter tricks have been employed. The temperature of the room is steady and comfortable instead of sweltering. A plastiglas pitcher of ice water was provided. It's still cool though the ice melted some time ago during the wait. Nobody's come in to speak to him, or even just to slap a dataslate cryptically on the table in an attempt to get Marchus to speak. He's sure they're waiting behind the one-way window watching him and discussing his fate even now, but Marchus sits patiently, without fear even. Vindication from on high has given him a faith in the Adeptus Arbites second only to the God-Emperor of Mankind. Due process was followed and he was released back to his position none the worse for wear, despite losing several years of his life. Even so, that was proof that the wheels of justice were always turning. Never once did he lose his faith in the system.

At last the door opens and a senior interrogator enters. The man wears a bodyglove under his greatcoat and, of course, carries a dataslate. Perhaps now it begins. Marchus stands and salutes the man. The salute is informally returned, as is the right of a superior, and the officer gestures for him to take a seat once more.

"Arbiter Judge Drexler, Marchus... Your record is one of continued success, it would seem."

"Thank the Emperor that it should remain so, sir."

"Indeed. You have done much in His name. Seditionists, heretics, and other undesirables among the many criminals you've brought to justice. There are a few marks on your record, but only one that stands out. You know, of course, what I refer to?"

Marchus didn't flinch away from the reference to his tribulations. If anything, he felt a small measure of pride for bearing them with resolve and faith.

"I do, sir. My entire department was accused of blasphemies most foul."

"And some were executed for them. Their guilt proven by confessions from their own lips, but not you."

"No, sir."

"Why not?"

"I knew my innocence, sir. I bore my time easily knowing that the truth would come out at last. And so it did."

"And so it did..." The interrogator did not seem particularly predisposed to kindness or hostility. He simply continued on repeating facts on record. "But only at the testimony of a member of the Holy Ordos."

"For which I am thankful, though I am sure that the truth would have arisen eventually. The heretic witch could not have hidden his actions for long. Though I cannot access the records of the actual event, I have heard that was how the Inquisition found him and his cult. They were unable to keep their secrecy due to the madness of their goals."

"So you would say you are indebted to Inquisitor who spoke on your behalf?"

"Grateful, to be sure. But I daresay he needn't have bothered. Witchcraft was my downfall, not any action of my own. That would have been found out. There are good, stalwart men and women in the Arbites. I have several recommendations for service if you have the time."

"I do, but I'm afraid you don't. I'm certain our guest can explain everything to you."

The interrogator gets up and leaves, speaking quietly to someone just outside. Marchus is left to wonder just what the purpose of this meeting was, and who it is that's outside waiting to speak to him.

pre:
Name: Marchus Drexler
Homeworld: Hive World
Career Path: Arbiter -> Judge
Background: Proven Innocent
Divination: “Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets Retribution.”

Characteristics: Characteristics: 10#2d10 

11 8 5 7 2 12 12 17 10 12

WS:   43 = 20 +  5 [+15 Advance] [+3 Background]
BS:   50 = 20 + 12 [+15 Advance] [+3 Background]
S:    34 = 20 +  8 [+3 Background] [+3 Divination]
T:    40 = 15 +  7 [+10 Advance] [+3 Background]
Ag:   40 = 20 + 12 [+5 Advance] [+3 Background]
Int:  58 = 20 + 17 [+15 Advance] [+3 Background] [+3 Transition]
Per:  45 = 20 + 12 [+10 Advance] [+3 Background]
WP:   43 = 20 + 10 [+10 Advance][+3 Background]
Fel:  52 = 25 + 11 [+10 Advance] [+3 Background] [+3 Transition]

Wounds: 16/16 Wounds: 1d5+8 12 [+1 Background]
FP     : 3/3 Fate: 1d10 4 [-1 Background, +3 Ascension]
Insanity: 18 Ascension Insanity 8d10 -4d10 WB: 4d10 18
Corruption: 10 Ascension Corruption 8d5 -4d5 WB: 4d5 10

Skills:

Carouse
Charismatic Mastery
 - Blather +20
 - Charm +20
 - Command +20
Ciphers (Underworld)
Climb
Common Lore (Administratum)
Common Lore (Arbites)
Common Lore (Imperium)
Common Lore (Underworld)
Concealment
Deceive
Dodge +20
Evaluate
Forbidden Lore (Cults) +10
Forbidden Lore (Heresy) +10
Investigation Mastery
 - Inquiry +20
 - Interrogation +20
 - Intimidate +20
Literacy
Logic
Observation Mastery
 - Awareness +20
 - Scrutiny +20
 - Search +20
Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy)
Scholastic Lore (Cryptology)
Security +20
Shadowing
Silent Move +10
Sleight of Hand
Speak Language (Low Gothic)
Tracking +10

Talents:

Air of Authority
Ambidextrous
Basic Weapon Training (All)
Counter Attack
Decadence
Exotic Weapon Training (Webber, Web Pistol)
Heightened Sense (Hearing, Sight)
Hip Shooter
Indomitable Fortitude
Leap Up
Lightning Reflexes
Light Sleeper
Melee Weapon Training (All)
Peer (Arbites, Enforcers, Government, Nobility, Underworld)
Pistol Expertise (All)
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Sound Constitution x3
Sprint
Step Aside
Swift Attack
Total Recall
Wall of Steel

Traits:

Accustomed to Crowds
Caves of Steel
Hammer of Heretics
Hivebound
Imperial Authority
Insitutionalization
Wary

Gear:

Best Combat Shotgun
 - 3 clips
 - 1 clip Executioner Rounds
Common Bolt Pistol
Common Arbites Carapace
Power Maul
Badge of Office
Arbites Badge
Webber
 - 3 clips
Suppression Shield
Legi-pattern Arbites shotgun
 - 3 clips

XP:                     20000/20000

Trooper                       0-499 - 500
-----------------------------------
Background                      100
Rapid Reload                    100
Ballistic Skill +5              100
Intelligence +5                 100
Toughness +5                    100

Enforcer                    500-999 - 500
Common Lore (Underworld)        100
Security                        100
Leap Up                         100
Light Sleeper                   100
Tracking                        100

Regulator                 1000-1999 - 1050
Dodge                           100
Climb                           200
Silent Move                     200
Sprint                          200
Ciphers (Underworld)            100
Fellowship +5                   250

Investigator              2000-2999 - 1000
Decieve                         100
Security +10                    100
Heightened Sense (Sight)        100
Heightened Sense (Hearing)      100
Peer (Underworld)               100
Carouse                         200
Evaluate                        200
Decadence                       100

Arbitrator                3000-4999 - 2100
Dodge +10                       100
Concealment                     100
Ambidextrous                    100
Peer (Government)               100
Agility +5                      250
Perception +5                   250
Step Aside                      100
Forbidden Lore (Cults)          200
Logic                           200
Sleight of Hand                 200

Intelligencer             5000-6999 - 1850
Security +20                    100
Total Recall                    100
Tracking +10                    100
Common Lore (Administratum)     100
Scholastic Lore (Cryptology)    100
Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy)   100
Ballistic Skill +5              250
Weapon Skill +5                 250
Toughness +5                    250

Magistrate                7000-9999 - 3000
Toughness +5                    500
Weapon Skill +5                 250
Willpower +5                    250
Perception +5                   500
Fellowship +5                   500
Forbidden Lore (Heresy)         200
Ballistic Skill +5              500
Air of Authority                200
Lightning Reflexes              100

Justicar                10000-12999 - 3000
Hip Shooter                     200
Forbidden Lore (Cults) +10      200
Forbidden Lore (Heresy) +10     200
Peer (Nobility)                 200
Wall of Steel                   200
Weapon SKill +5                 750
Perception +5                   500
Intelligence +5                 750

Judge 9                 13000-16999 - 4000
Basic Weapon Expertise          400
Pistol Weapon Expertise         400
Peer (Arbites)                  700
Peer (Enforcers)                700
Silent Move +10                 200
Swift Attack                    300
Counter Attack                  300
Exotic Weapon (Webber)          300
Exotic Weapon (Web Pistol)      300
Sound Constitution 1            100
Sound Constitution 2            100
Sound Constitution 3            100

Judge 10                17000-20999 - 3000
Charismatic Mastery             400
Investigation Mastery           400
Observation Mastery             400
Melee Weapon Expertise          500
Dodge +20                       700
Indomitable Foritude            400
Shadowing                       200
pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel
43	50	34	40	40	58	45	43	52

Wounds: 16/16
Fate:    3/3

Armour: 6/10 Body and Shield Arm

Parry 58  Dodge 60

Shotgun         30m  S/2/-  1d10+9  I  Pen  0  14/14  Full  Reliable, Scatter
Shotgun (Ex)    30m  S/-/-  1d10+13 X  Pen  1  14/14  Full  Reliable, Reroll to hit at Short or Standard range, Ignore cover bonus
Bolt Pistol     30m  S/2/-  1d10+5  X  Pen  4   8/8   Half  Tearing
Webber          50m  S/-/-  ------- -  Pen  0   1/1   Half  Blast 5, Snare
Power Maul (L) Melee -----  1d10+3  I  Pen  0   ---    --   Shocking
Power Maul (H) Melee -----  1d10+8  I  Pen  5   ---    --   Power Field

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 18, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

Julio glides in and takes a seat across from Marchus, studying him quietly for a few seconds. The Judge returns his gaze with the exact calm he'd displayed this whole time. Throne, he was good; you didn't stare down an Inquisitor without total faith in yourself. That was a good trait for anyone to have. And as Julio's background checks had revealed, he had criminal contacts. That, more than anything, was what had attracted the Inquisitor's attention. It was a very good sign.

Not that Julio had any great love for criminals; he'd been one himself, a lifetime ago, but he knew drat well that your average Imperial lawbreaker was an uneducated cutthroat, a waste of human potential who'd kill you for fun. No, the reason Marchus's criminal contacts and past mattered was that they indicated flexibility, and that was a trait in short supply in the Imperium. For better or for worse, the Imperial Creed made most people's minds hard. And as a consequence, they were brittle. Efficient, predictable, faithful citizens were the positive. But if a heretic could make the tiniest chink in that armor, they couldn't adjust. Their whole worldview crumbled around that tiny little flaw, because ignorance had been their only defense. And that was how you ended up with entire worlds put to the sword. The Puritans and Monodominants weren't wrong when they said that a single heretical thought could drat a world. They were just wrong about why.

So someone flexible in spite of adherence to the Creed, that's a special creature. That's someone who understands the intent behind the laws. That's someone who can be trusted to do the right thing. That's a true believer, someone who has actually examined their own belief in the Emperor and found it flawless. And someone who really knows, deep down, that they're in the right? That's the most dangerous man in the world. At least, if you want to stand in his way.

Julio cracks a smile and relaxes, sliding a dataslate of the mission details across the table.

"Judge Marchus Drexler, you are without a doubt the finest example of the Adeptus Arbites I've ever laid eyes upon. Your faith and focus are both perfect in every way, and I don't settle for less than perfection. The Imperium needs more men and women like you. And to get to the point: I need you. A Rogue Trader by the name of Daizon has resurfaced. He is a renegade witch, a heretic, and a meddler in things long forbidden. I cannot let a threat of this magnitude continue to exist. I ask you to do your duty. I ask you to stand with me."

He abruptly stands and heads for the door, barely glancing back as he goes.

"I'll see you aboard the Fist of Terra within 24 hours, Judge Drexler."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith Waelon. Also Known as the Criminal Kingpin "Cold Hand"

Davith stands in his deluxe flat and stares out the window, looking at the Tricorn Palace in the distance. He moves some shoeboxes from the back of his walk-in closet, and pulls out a worn surplus Imperial Guard footlocker. He opens it up and stares at the contents. Photo-visor, body glove, all of his Inquisitorial wetwork gear. He drags it to the middle of the room and opens it. He makes his way across the marble floors to where Zivah stands over by his weapon display cases.

Zivah was the only person in his Organization that knows it is a front for the Inquisition, and the only person he would trust with leading it while he was gone. She was a former penal guardsman, in the legions due to stealing Munitorm supplies and selling them to armed insurrectionists. She kept her head shortly shaven, and was covered from head to toe with tattoos. Not only did she look intimidating, she was. And she'd have to be; with Davith gone, both internal and external forces would try to probe for weaknesses.

"Alright, keep things status quo. Anything class 4 report through the standard dead drops, got it?" Davith begins to open up his display cases and takes out each gun, a pair at a time. He secures each one in a padded case and throws them in the footlocker. First the bolt pistols, then the slug throwers, and then the las-pistols. When he gets to the Ripper Pistol, he instead takes it in his hands.

Cold Hand was the nickname he was given, and by extension his organization. He never named it; the moment you name your criminal organization it makes it that easier to find. He turns and looks at his left hand. That one was replaced by choice, back in his youth to house some scribe-times. He then turns his attention to his right hand. Lost that one setting up this little empire of his, but that is a story for another day. Turning the Ripper over in his hands, he instead puts it in its holster and wears it.

The Ripper pistol went well with the rest of his clothes and his overall aesthetic; high quality yet functional. His suit is dark and simple, but made of the highest quality and rarest of materials. The best displays of wealth were often muted and understated. Davith finishes loading his weapons into the footlocker, and then locks it before turning again to Zivah.

"Okay, some shadowy looking guys are going to come to pick this up. Give it to them, they'll get it to me. I'll keep regular contact. Don't assume I'm dead until someone with an ]I[ tells you I am. Now if you excuse me, I've got a date with some arbites."

Davith wasn't too hot on this extraction plan. Even if he was a "legitimate" exporter-importer by cover, enough of his rivals knew who he was, and kept tabs on him. If they followed him walking to the Tricorn and getting in an Inquisitor's shuttle, that'd be the end of his Organization. Instead, he had to get pinched. Everyone gets pinched. So he was going to go to dinner with some acquaintances. While there some arbites were going to very publicly, and very loudly, arrest him, These arbites were on Julio's payroll. They'd load Davith onto a Arbites Rhino, and then take him to the arbites block. From there a shell game with some rhinos and transports would see him off world and on The Fist of Terra. Once there he'd rendezvous with the Inquisitor, and more importantly, his guns.

Then he could tell them all where to find that Rogue Trader gently caress, and kill him.

pre:
Name: Davith Waelon
Homeworld: Void Born
Career Path: Adept->Bonded emmisary (rank 4) ->Desperado when we ascend 
Background: Void Commercia (200 exp)
Divination: "kill the alien before it can speak its lies" agility +2
Transition Package: Lord of the Underworld

Characteristics:
WS: 20=(20+5)-5[background]  
BS:  50=(20+10)+20[advance] 
S:    24=(15+9)
T:    24=(20+9)-5[background]
Ag:    43=(20+11) +2[divination]+10[advance]
Int:  61=(20+16)+20[advance]+5[transition]
Per:  41=(20+11)+10[advance]
WP:   37=(25+12)
Fel:  54=(20+14)+20[advance]

Wounds: 13=9+5(sc)-1 (transition)
Fate Points: 3
Insanity: 8
Corruption: 2

Influence:45=40+5(transition)

Skills:
Barter +20
Blather +10
Deceive +20
Disguise
dodge
Charm +10
Evaluate+10
inquiry +10
Logic
Scrutiny
Pilot (spacecraft, civilian craft)
Trade (copyist)
Tech use +20
medicae
common lore (imperium +10,administratum +20,mercantile, tech)
Forbidden Lore (cults +20, heresy +20, archeotech +10)
Scholastic lore (mercantile +10, bureaucracy +10, heraldry +10)
Secret tongue (rogue trader dynasty, administratum)
Security +20 
Slight of hand +20
Speak language (ship Dialect, low gothic, high gothic)
Navigation (stellar)
Literacy

Talents:
ambidextrous
Pistol training (sp, las, bolt, flame, launcher, melta, plasma, primitive)
Basic Weapon Training (Bolt, Flame, Las, Launcher, Melta, Plasma, Primitive, SP)
Crime Lord
Light sleeper
Sprint
Peer (administratum, nobility, Davith's criminal network)
quick draw
rapid reload 
step aside
Sound Constitution x5
Resistance (psychic powers)
Talented (deceive, barter)

Traits:
Charmed: when use fate point roll 1d10, on a 9 the fate point is not spent.
Ill-omened: -5 on fellowship test to interact with non-void born
void accustomed: immune to space travel sickness. zero and low gravity are not difficult terrain
unnatural intelligence
Criminal Mastermind: an auto succeed on interaction test with group I have peer or good rep with
Master of coin: +5 on influence or acquisition rolls for goods and services 

Gear:
Stub revolver w/6 bullets
Admin robes
auto quill
chrono
data-slate
backpack
Best-Craftsmanship stub autos with man-stopper ammunition
Best craftsmanship flak armor
Multi-key
Badge of office
Microbead

Acquisitions:
2x common quality Mauler class bolt pistol
-40 bolt rounds 
-2 red dot laser sights 
2x common quality Mark IV command Laspistol: 
-6 charge packs 
-2 hotshot packs 
-2 overcharge pack 
- red dot laser sights 
2x common quality encarmine pistols 
-300 bullets 
-5 clips manstoppers 
Common quality armored body glove 
re-breather 
Photovisor 
medkit 
Disguise kit 
combitool 
common quality cybernetic hand (left) 
Scribe tines left hand
Common quality cybernetic right arm (transition) 

Hell pistol and three charge packs
Ripper pistol and three clips
Angelus bolter w/ telescopic sight
Ryza pattern plasma pistol

Archivist-500/500
Void Commercia 200
Pistol training (las) 200
Pilot (civilian craft) 100

scriviner-/500
Peer (administratum) 200
Blather 200
Forbidden lore (cults) 100

Scribe-1000/1000
logic 100
Ambidextrous 300
Common lore administratum 100
Common lore (administratum) +10 100
Secret tongue (administratum) 100
Blather +10 200
Forbidden lore (cults) +10 100

Bonded Emissary elite rank-1000/1000
quick draw 200
Deceive 100
deceive +10 100
Deceive +20 200
Disguise 100
Scholastic lore (heraldry) 100
Talented (deceive) 100
Talented (barter) 100

Scholar-3000/3000
Common lore (administratum) +20 100
Scholastic lore (bureaucracy) 100
Scholastic lore bureaucracy +10) 100
Dodge 100
Agility simple 250
agility intermediate 500
Intelligence simple 100
intelligence intermediate 250
intelligence trained 500
intelligence expert 500 
step aside 200 
pistol training bolt 200
speak language (high gothic) 100

Comptroller-/2000
Fellowship simple 250
Fellowship intermediate 500
fellowship trained 750
BS simple 250
barter +10 100
Charm +10 100
resistance (psychic powers) 50

Logister Comptroller-1950/2000
Resistance psychic powers 50 (cont)
BS intermediate 500
BS trained 750 
Perception simple 100
Perception intermediate 250
Evaluate +10 100
inquiry 100
inquiry +10 100
Medicae 50

Sage Logister 2950/3000
Medicae 50 (cont)
Scholastic lore (mercantile) 100
barter +20 200
Rapid reload 200 
peer nobility 100
FL cults +20 100
tech use 200
tech use +10 200
tech use +20  200
forbidden lore heresy 100
forbidden lore heresy +10 100
forbidden lore heresy +20 100
Forbidden lore archeotech 300
forbidden lore archeotech +10 300
Scholastic Lore heraldry +10 100
Scholastic lore mercantile +10 100
unnatural intelligence 500
Sound Constitution 50

--------------------------------------------------
Pre ascension total: 1300
---------------------------------------------------
Post ascension to spend, 7000

rank 9 13,000-16,99(4000)
sound constitution 50
Ballistic skill expert 1000
Pistol expertise 500
Shadowcraft Mastery 700
Sound Constitutionx2 400 
Sound constitution x2 600
peer (rogue trader) 700
Peer (underworld) 700
Fellowship expert 200

Rank 10 17,000-20,999 (3000)
Fellowship expert 800
Basic weapon expertise 600
Crimelord 700

Exp left unspent: 50

stats: 10#2d10 10 5 5 9 14 11 12 16 9 11
fate points: 1d10 9
starting wounds: 1d5+6 9
divination: 1d100 18

Werix fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 21, 2017

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

"Aye, sir. If the Emperor needs my service, I shall not be found wanting."

The rest of the day is spent delegating active cases to arbiters and judges. Even cold cases needed to be followed up with, in case something relevant applies to a recent crime. Drexler's juniors tend to hate the assignment but are often forced to admit that he has a point. Several criminals were apprehended after years of laying low thanks to commonalities between the crimes. Given the size of the hive and the section that Precinct XI serves, it takes a while to foist off all the work. After that it's a matter of gathering the equipment necessary to carry out his duty. No doubt the Inquisitor would have all manner of wondrous tech at his disposal, but Marchus knows that a firm hand and a well-serviced sidearm will carry him through most days. That said, this assignment will likely test him. The Ordos are a world beyond the petty criminals and back alley heretics he normally prosecutes. As he packs his kit he makes sure to leave the Book of Judgement on top for easy access. It's a certainty he'll need it on this journey. All that's left is rest, what little will come. In the morning Marchus joins the ranks of the Inquisition.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Von Directus

The space marine said nothing, but he did pause in the middle of cleaning his armor. Flattery. He hadn't expected that, and it made him immediately suspicious, but... it got him thinking. Why would an Inquisitor be flattering him? It didn't make any sense. Maybe to make him more tractable. It didn't make much sense to threaten someone seven feet tall before power armor. Von Directus scratched at the back of his head. His hair tended to spontaneously grow in a thick undercoat when he was particularly stressed (Space Wolf gene seed was a hell of a thing) and he was starting to overheat within the confines of his cabin. He'd never been away from his battle-brothers for so long before, and he didn't like the relative emptiness of the Fist of Terra.

He couldn't stop thinking about what Julio said. His combat record was impressive... but Julio had helped kill a Greater Daemon. Even if he was an Inquisitor rat, praise from a man like that mattered. The space marine opted to let his power armor charge and pull on his furs, just so he could wander around a bit. Maybe he could find something to distract his mind. He'd meditated and written enough already that the thought of doing either made him want to puke. He could use a drink.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Zachariah

Clad in the traditional roughspun robes of a pilgrim, Enos steps onto the Fist of Terra and lets out a sigh of finality. "Nine decades of living off and on voidships and I still can't bear the stink," he says, wrinkling his nose. Behind him, a pair of beat-up servitors labour under the weight two enormous trunks. The priest turns to the straining machines and cries, "put them down, you stupid things; we're here!" Turning back around, he grabs the first crew member unfortunate enough to wander too close. "Where's Kierkegaard? Bloody bastard asks me to travel halfway across the sector and he can't even take the time to welcome me aboard? And find someone to take my things to my berth. Hurry up!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Davith is the final member of the team to arrive, coming in a day after his gear had arrived; it had been arranged that the story would be his transport was be forced down onto a feudal world, where he would remain in hiding until such a time he could return to his organization. The first person Waelon bumps into is the statuesque von Directus, clad only in his wolf furs and towering a meter or more above the former scribe. The two walk together over a kilometer to the bridge.

Julio awaits in the bridge with Polonia, Zachariah, and a serious looking arbites who stands at attention to the Inquisitor; von Directus squats slightly to enter the room behind Davith, standing to the side with his chest bared and his brow furrowed. It is the first time in years the four acolytes have seen each other, and each has changed substantially since they last met, save for Zachariah, who is still old and crotchety.

This is also the first time the two new recruits have met, and the first time they have met the acolytes that once served alongside Inquisitor Kierkegaard when he slew a greater daemon. But before introductions can be made and acquaintances made, the door slides open once more, and a figured with a red cloak draped around its shoulders sidles into the room, its head lowered.

For a moment, the creature simply stands in silence, before pulling its hood back to reveal its face.

The orangutan grunts and hoots at Julio, gesturing wildly with one hand as it uses the other to scoot across the floor quickly towards the Inquisitor. His confusion and lack of understanding frustrates the little jokaero, and he rolls his eyes with a long, growling grunt. He raises a finger to ask the Inquisitor to wait a moment, pulling a wire from the dataslate on its wrist to hook up to one of the viewing monitors, sticking his lower teeth out as he tries to think. Davith cringes a little, finally recognizing the creature for who it is.

After a moment, the jokaero begins to type furiously, letters appearing on the screen.

"INQUISITOR KIERKEGAARD, I AM TRACY, SCIENTIST SMUGGLER ENGINEER OF JOKAERO. I AM CONTACT FRIEND OF "COLD HANDS", I BRING GOODS AND SUPPLIES. INQUISITOR WANT GOOD ACCESS TO GOOD STUFF, TRACY WANT GOOD ACCESS TO GOOD PLANETS. INQUISITOR LIKE IDEA?" The letters flash in a bright green font on the screen as Tracy's lips peel back to show off his big, nasty orangutan smile.

While it is possible for Julio to use his Inquisitorial assets to gain equipment for the crew, the possibility of having a direct contract with a jokaero is certainly tempting, and the creature is likely to have access to some excellent equipment. But what would dealing with him mean?

Feel free to greet one another and weigh in on if you want the monkey to give you guns.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 28, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

Julio turns and smiles. Finally, everyone was back together.

"Zachariah, apologies on not greeting you personally. I was unavoidably detained. That's the trouble with authority; more power is more problems to worry about. Now--"

Julio trails off as the xeno enters, hooting and growling at him. He reads the dataslate in confused silence and glances up at Davith.

"I... take it that you know this, er, Tracy. Now, some of my colleagues would give you a long lecture on consorting with xenos. Or they'd just shoot the both of you. But I know that Jokaero are useful and generally not considered a hostile or threatening species, so I'm willing to use its services. Of course, if it offends the majority of you, I can send it away. That being said..."

He glances apologetically to the Space Wolf. He'd hoped that he would have a little more time to measure the Marine's character before he confronted a necessary heresy like this. This could get very ugly if Von Directus didn't take it well.

"Lord Von Directus, I don't need to be a psyker to read your mind. I would appreciate it greatly if you didn't splatter this creature across the bridge. Unless, of course, it harms one of us in some way, in which case I would consider its presence exactly the sort of thing I recruited you to deal with."

He turns back and smiles thinly down at the Jokaero.

"Are we clear, Tracy? Don't betray my trust and I'll let you do as you like, so long as your actions benefit the Imperium."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

This is the first time Arbiter Drexler has come in contact with any of the various xenos races in the galaxy. Though it doesn't show on his face it unnerves him to see some sort of primate species communicate so intelligently with the Inquisitor. The Book of Judgement is quite clear on the penalties for trucking with aliens but it's also clear that the Inquisitor has some history of doing so. A servant of the Emperor so entrusted is to be obeyed and followed dutifully.

"Sir, though I have strong reservations in dealing with... your guest, I will of course follow your lead."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith can barely hide a laugh on his face when Tracy scoots his rear end into the room. At Julio's comment, Davith does smile. "Yeah, if you're going to go ahead and off me for having acquaintances with a Jokaero, guess that's your call. But afterwards, you should take that shiny ring on your hand, the one I'm sure is capable of melting a tank, and turn it on yourself. Because digital weapons, and I mean ALL digital weapons, are the work of the Jokaero. Imperium is already using their work, so what the hell, why not? Plus on the list of scary poo poo that comes from Xenos that is dangerous to the Imperium, Jokaero weapons rate alongside fossilized Eldar poo poo. Jokaero poo poo ain't even near the deep end. poo poo, it ain't even in the loving pool."

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Von Directus

Von Directus did not take it well.

His lips peeled back to reveal his big, well-cleaned, but still fairly ugly Space Wolf teeth. "The first time I come in contact with an Inquisitor, and he engages in blatant heresy within less than a week. Typical. And he recruits an Arbiter who allows for such things, as well as the man who summoned this blatant heresy in the first place. Your earlier flattery makes sense now." He drew himself up to his full height, crossing his arms across his chest. "And it is probably armed to the teeth, and is likely to kill us in our sleep. That is what xenos do." Von Directus snorted, filling his mouth with literal venom. "My commander has told me to obey you, and I will do so, but he is going to know about this. People like you are the reason my chapter hates your kind."

He glanced over at Polonia. Surely a Psyker of her caliber would know not to consort with xenos. Surely she would know the danger they presented. He also glanced at the priest-- if Zachariah allowed this, Von Directus knew this company was doomed. He would be reporting it to his commander immediately once he got back to his room either way. If he stepped out of line too often, he wouldn't get to go home, but he couldn't be expected to play nice with Xenos. It wasn't in the contract.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Polonia Samsara

"At it again already, aren't you?" The psyker sighs, and continues. "You can't depend on the Jokaero, Inquisitor, not even on them betraying you like you can the Eldar. They rarely have any considerations other than moment-to-moment survival. Frankly, I'm amazed this one has thought far enough ahead to talk to us." She rolls out her neck, and fiddles with the transistor-library hung about it -- a useful nervous gesture around those who cannot recognize a psy-focus. "However, there's a simple way to make this decision." Then she focuses, hard.

Polonia has FL (everything), so she at least knows what a Jokaero is.
Let's do a fettered Mind Scan on this space-ape, 4 power dice. fettered mind scan: 4d10 27
With a un-failable channeling test, that's +18, for 45 power.
mind scan wp test: 1d100 22 vs 81
Unless he rockstars the WP test Polonia should know whether to trust space-ape, who I hope is just the kind of go-getter this organization needs.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Tracy turns his head towards the comparatively booming voice of the Space Wolf, ooking gently in surprise. He waddles towards the massive marine, his arms over his head with his hands dangling downwards in a jokaero sign of peace. He stops just in front of Cibus, lifting his chubby orangutan body by pushing against the floor with his incredibly long arms, hooting and grunting as he studies the marine. He plops down onto his rump, folding his legs beneath him and rubbing his chin in thought for a long moment, before tapping away at his dataslate again and showing it to the marine.

"WHY NAKED? WHERE ARMOR? NEED FIXED?????" Tracy's lips peel back in a broad grin as Cibus reads the message, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Polonia, meanwhile, plunges into the depths of the space ape's mind. As her mental form manifests within the simian's brain, she is wholly unprepared for the absolute assault of blueprints, schematics, and theses, most of it in languages she can barely comprehend. Every second, the chaotic brain whirls into a new set of plans and ideas, and all the while the mental body of Tracy hovers in the center of it all, his body in the classic lotus position of meditation. Before him hovers his surface thoughts, images of space marine power armor that he plucks armored plates from to place in various weapons and sundries. As quickly as they form, they are dismissed to be drafted anew.

Hovering there, she sees nothing but a mind dedicated to the art of weapon and armor development. There are no lies hidden behind the schematics, only acres and acres of more schematics. Every now and then, she sees a glimpse of more base thoughts, hunger, the need to relieve oneself, and unfortunately for her, mating. Mostly satisfied that she has seen all the simian's mind can offer her (and more than she likely wanted to see,) she returns to reality in time to see Tracy trying to measure Cibus' chest.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

Julio folds his hands behind his back and gives Von Directus a sympathetic look.

"Lord Von Directus, resist the urge to kill it for that. I respect you, Lord Von Directus. I would not refer to you by title if I did not. And because I respect you, I'm going to be blunt with you. Don't waste your commander's time with complaints. I am an Inquisitor. The only authority a Space Marine holds over me is the kind that proceeds from the end of a bolter. There is nothing he can do to me, and more importantly, there is nothing he will do to me. Let us not kid ourselves: you and I both know this a punishment detail. He will be happy to hear that you suffer and it will only prove him right about you. Better to return to Fenris after this mission triumphant and uncomplaining, proving that you can place duty above... personal feelings. More importantly, this is the nature of our work. The Astartes live in battle and battle is a place where absolutes exist. The Inquisition does not always have that luxury. It is my duty to judge the line where heresy begins. I say it begins with Daizon, and not with this xeno. Are we clear?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith tilts his head back and looks at the Astartes as he's measured up by Tracy and steps away. "Wait, hold on, he's here on punishment detail? You don't even have the pull to get us an up and up Gene bulked, post-human killing machine?" Davith smiles at Julio, obviously kidding about pull, any astartes was impressive, even if a gently caress up. "Next you'll tell us that the Arbites is from a Penal Legion. I might be a criminal, but at least that's my job!"

Davith then turns to Tracy, "once you're done fixing up a new suit for big, tall, and hairy, try to scrounge me up something in a long gun format. Pistols are elegant and my go to, but I have been training with long guns, never bought one though. Preferably something that fires a round I can hold, like a bolter. Thanks you furry firearms fiend."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

The sound of the word punishment brings up Marchus' head. Not from some undue zeal, but more out of confusion. The Astartes was one of the Emperor's finest, the military arm that represented His might and majesty. To think that one of the Imperium's angels of death had been sent to the Inquisitor as a form of penance like some common trooper was... disillusioning, to say the least. Could these superhumans be as unruly as the lowly men and women they protected from threats from beyond? Instead of confronting the marine he turns back to Davith.

"I have never served in the Guard, and my innocence was proven beyond doubt to the Arbites."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Polonia Samsara

As much as one might desire it, there are no rubber gloves for the mind. Luckily, a lifetime of service with the Psykana comes close. With not much more than a twitch, she tries to relate the contents of the xenos' mind to the others. "This thing barely thinks of anything but whatever schematic happens to be in its forebrain at the moment. It can't even plan for meals -- hunger would probably make it build some sort of... food teleporter, or something." She shrugs, and continues. "Keep it if you like, Inquisitor, but I imagine such a beast has little to offer those in my profession."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Tracy trundles back to Julio, extending his hand for the Inquisitor to shake it; as it seems most of the team has agreed to work with the little monkey, Julio takes his hand and gives it a firm pump. Once again, the jokaero's lips peel all the way back in a massive grin, and his eyes sparkle as he ooks happily. Digging into his jacket, he hands the inquisitor a soiled catalogue, tapping it while making grunting before flipping it over to point at the order form. He gives the Inquisitor a grin and slips him a business card, before making his way off the bridge to wherever he intends to stay on the ship.

Looking at the catalogue, it looks like the jokaero can definitely get the inquisitorial team a good deal on weaponry and miniaturized defenses. He recalls Daizon was spotted on Ral Prime, a hive planet known primarily for its export of fighting holovids and other base means of entertainment not fully outlawed by the Imperium as of yet. The quarters would likely be cramped and there was no telling what the old Rogue Trader might be hiding this time around..

ACQUISITION TIME

Thanks to Tracy, you can treat all power, plasma, melta, and flamer weaponry as one step easier to acquire, as well as any force field; neither acquisition can originally be unique or near-unique. Chain, SP, Laser, and other items are at their normal rarity. Digital weapons are two steps easier to acquire.

Due to the Inquisitor's influence, you may each make an acquisition with modifiers that total no more than -40, which can be spread across multiple items. Only DH items can be acquired, except in the case of Axqu, who may acquire any item without a renown level from Deathwatch as if she had a renown of 60.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Von Directus

"I am not nude. My power armor is elsewhere, its machine spirit feasting and resting for the coming trials, as are my weapons. This is a traditional and sacred form of dress for my peo-- do not touch me!" He reached out with his foot and gave Tracy a somewhat less than gentle shove back with it, although it was downright kittenlike by Astartes standards. If he stepped out of line, he wouldn't get to go home.

The space marine took a deep breath in through his nose. He let it out through his mouth, the acrid, bitter scent of his venom carried with it. So Julio was going to humiliate him in front of the rest of the crew then. He fixed Julio with a stare that would've turned lesser men to jelly, pointedly ignoring Davith's comments. No mortal could possibly understand. Davith would eventually die, and be ground into the eternal machinery that made up the Imperium of Man, and Von Directus would still be there to protect a new generation of children from themselves and the xenos that threatened them. Or, at least, that was how Von Directus thought of it. "Tempting," he replied smoothly (and a touch facetiously-- he was more venting frustration than anything else) when Julio brought up the bolter, "but I understand perfectly. My duty is to protect the children of the Emperor from those who would do them harm. If you, as my commander, have decided that Daizon is the greater threat, and have further decided that we would be best served in eliminating this threat by consorting with nonhuman filth, then consider it done. My hands are effectively tied. Far be it from me to question one who has helped to slay a Greater Daemon. I was brought here to kill in the Emperor's name, not to think."

He would feel much, much better when they were in a battle. That was what the Astartes were for. The subtleties and bending of doctrine made his head hurt unpleasantly, like someone was tightening a vise grip on his temples. Julio had the right of it, in a way. Things were much more simple in black and white, when the only diplomacy one had to engage in was the negotiation between bolter ammo and squishy bits. He'd never had to have this much psychological flexibility in his long, long life, and it wasn't remotely comfortable. His one recourse in situations this uncomfortable was usually to brawl over it, or to pound the threat into dust, or shout it down, or glare it away... but all those had been taken from him too. Von Directus felt profoundly, deeply lost. He'd done variations on just one thing his entire life, and here they were, meeting a xenos instead of making a rug out of it.

It was likely that this mission with new experiences and new kinds of people would provide him ample opportunities to learn and grow as a person, and ultimately give him the opportunity to become a better man than his narrow, rigid worldview currently allowed for. He was not in a position just yet to see it.

Von Directus started to look at the catalog anyway. If he could get some new weapons with which to slaughter wave after wave of heretical scum, it'd make him feel a little better about the whole situation. Preferably something that involved fire, or glorious fountains of gore. The Emperor could always use more splattered heretic briquettes. Everyone could use more splattered heretic briquettes, really. It was the gift that kept on giving.

((Gonna do my acquisition stuff later; just wanted to get a post in!))

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Polonia Samsara

Polonia had not been idle in the maintenance of her armory in the intervening years. From the thankful mill-fathers of Kulkus IX's Bismuth Cathedral, her armor had received freshly wrought servos and thrice-blessed warp deflecting wards. To this was added an ecclesiarchal Rosarius, stripped from the neck of a heretical cardinal when its sputtering field ended his corruption with his life, and a chain around the waist to hold the sacred censer and incense she'd needed to kill the daemons he had summoned. They'd cost an arm and a leg in "donations", but were well worth it.

The faint odor of primitive primate hung about her quarters when she checked her gear, particularly her precious force-field and its ebony box, but it all seemed in order. She'd ask for a better lock if such a thing could ever stop a curious Jokaero.

Adding Hexagrammatic Wards to armor for -20. -40 for BC Rosarius (thank you space ape), then I'm spending those 1000 thrones I still have left on 5x Drusian Incense and a Thurible because I can't believe I've missed a way around daemonic presence all this time.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 1, 2017

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Zachariah

The old man softly chuckles. "Try not to worry about it so much," Zachariah offers to the Space Wolf. "After all, is it not better to turn a blind eye to one sin, in order to prevent a greater sin?" He shrugs at the space marine, adding, "At least, that's what I tell myself."

Acquisitioning a Daemonhammer (Ascension, p.141)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

"The law calls it 'mitigating circumstances'. I have yet to see a case where such things were valid."

It's hard to see the upside of an obscura junkie shoving a friend out a window to keep him from assaulting his woman, or one stubjack gunning down another for taking the wrong contract. Legislation is very clear on handling lawbreakers like that. While Marchus is no stranger to the shades of grey he always strives to stay on the straight and narrow. Of course, working in the shadows has its advantages. There are plenty of eyes that see out of that darkness without being seen in return.

"I have no illusions that the work of the Inquisition can be dark. But I understand the necessity."

Getting a Webber, Suppression Shield, and the Legi-pattern Arbites shotgun for a total of -40.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

"Right, lovely, that's dealt with."

Julio keeps the smile going until the Jokaero is out of view, then he rolls his eyes and makes a sound of disgust. He turns to the nearest bridge crew, holding his right hand away from his body.

"Someone! You there, whatever your name is. Yes, you, with the cyber-eyes. Get me some bloody hand sanitizer, immediately. Right now the only way I could trust this hand less was if I'd shaken hands with a damned Death Guard."

Acquiring 3 clips of Psycannon Bolts for my pistols (-20), a Targeter upgrade and 3 Clips of Hyper-Density Penetrator rounds for my Spectre (both -10), and if I can throw some +0s on there too I'll take Lumen-Heraldry for my armor and an RDLS for my Web Pistol.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

"Come now Julio, Tracy isn't that bad. Yeah, I know, working with Xenos and all that poo poo, but those knuckledraggers really are harmless. They love tinkering around with human stuff anyway, which I know is tech-heresy, what with no 'innovation' and poo poo, but some alien making a better las-gun is at the bottom of the heresy chart as far as I'm concerned."

Davith then walks towards the center of the bridge, "Speaking of the top of the heresy chart, we have a one-eyed rear end in a top hat to catch."

I'm going to leave it to dyne to speak for davith on the intel he found.

As for requisitions, that will be one Angelus Bolter (inquisitor's handbook Page 120) With a Telescopic sight
and one Ryza pattern Plasma Pistol (Ascension page 137)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

MArchus

"Yes, I'm very interested in learning about this man. All I know that he is a heretical rogue trader. Whatever information you have I'll be glad to help process it. Much of the work in a precinct is data evaluation."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Davith steps up to the computer console, plugging his data slate and tapping a few buttons at the holo-keyboard nearby. Within a minute, the 40 odd displays on the wall before him begin showing his presentation, one picture at a time; each pict is a candid shot of a long-haired man moving through the underhive at various points during the day. Each pict shows a different date, and it appears the surveillance has gone on for over four months; for the other three who had already faced him, it was difficult to tell that the man was actually Daizon. His hair had begun to grey at the temples and what could be seen of the beard was longer and gaining the salt and pepper look.

But the final picture, one from the day that Davith had contacted Julio, fills up the entire bank of displays. The man is looking directly at the cameraman now, and in spite of the aging and the lines in his face, it is impossible that the person in the pict is anyone but the sorcerous rogue trader. He still wears his eyepatch, and Polonia seethes as she recognizes the runic pattern upon it; he apparently hasn't changed it in the years since they last saw him. He wears a flak coat now, rather than the finery they remember him wearing when they last saw him.

"I had to be sure it was him. In spite of everything back on Caro V, we weren't able to get his warrant pulled, but he's been playing it smart and not using his family's wealth to keep from being tracked. It was sheer fuckin' luck he showed up on Ral Prime." Davith advances the display, showing the same figure watching over several thugs loading crates into the back of a truck. "He's been doing deals with some of the other local crime syndicates, helping them move product and protecting their warehouses with his sorcery. In exchange, they've been helping him move something big in from off world, and he's got a warehouse deep in the Ranba Underhive that has a private army on it."

Cold Hand yanks his datapad free, shutting off the display dramatically. "It's got to be his Men of Stone. I don't know what good Ral Prime is to him, but he's got to have something heretical and sorcerous up his sleeve. He's made contact with EVERY criminal organization on the planet and every single one of them has a hand in it, one way or another." Davith hands the dataslate to Marchus first. "Everything we know about Daizon is on there. His familial connections, his holdings on Caro V... he's disconnected completely from the Deisgradus family, probably to evade us. Whatever he's doing, it's big."

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Von Directus

The Space Wolf rubbed at one of his temples, a tight half-smile on his face. The old priest's words were comforting, against all odds. "I suppose you are right. If we cannot eliminate all sin, then eliminating the greatest sin is the best course of action. Thank you for your guidance, Venerable Lord Hierophant. I have already come to miss the wisdom and guidance of our chapter's battle-chaplains. I too would be interested to know how best to slaughter this heretic."

Davith's explanation made his features set into a stoic mask... right up until the kingpin mentioned Men of Stone. Then Von Directus cocked his head to the side, his brow furrowing. "What are Men of Stone? I know they are heretical from context, but have never heard of them before. Are they genetic heresy?" It was a good guess based on nothing but the name, but he'd never even seen a book on one before. Most people hadn't.

--------

Ok so bear with me. 60 req points.

So I get 25 free req points of special ammo beyond that (as long as it's 1 clip) because something something deathwatch. Gonna spend that on 1 clip of Hellfire rounds (25) because that's badass.
As for the other 60: Astartes flamer (10), Auspex/Scanner (12), Astartes Power Fist (because Dyne is encouraging me to get it and it is pretty sweet 30), Astartes Grav-Chute (5), Magnoculars (3)
Personal Teleporter has no fame req and it's free so it's mine now.

quote:

Hellfire Rounds (Bolter): Ignores Natural Armor, inflicts RF on 9 and 10. Gain Tearing. With Heavy Bolter, RoF changes to S/-/- and gains Blast (3). +1 Magnitude Damage against Hordes.
Astartes Flamer: Basic/ 20m range/ 1d10+9e + 4 extra damage because Astartes flamer. Pen 4/ clip 6/ 2 full to reload.
Astartes Power Fist: Melee/ 2d10E/ 9 penetration/ Power Field, Unwieldy/ Increases Unnatural Strength modifier by 1

Auspex/ Scanner: +20 Awareness when in use. Can make a Tech-Use test to detect imperceptible things (gasses, biosigns radiation, etc). Range is 50m, walls 50cm thick and some materials can block it.
Personal Teleporter: A personal teleporter. May only be used with power armor and requires Pilot (Personal). Doubles base movement, even charges, and may be used to teleport even further distances.
Astartes Grav-Chute: Allows a safe fall from any height
Magnoculars: idk man just binoculars that can maybe do other poo poo?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Polonia Samsara

Barely repressing her reflexive sneer at the image of a sorcerer, Polonia turns to the Astartes. "As a matter of fact, these particular abominations are an intersection of many heresies. Like most early-stage heretics, Daizon Deisgradus actually believes himself to be of purer character and will than true servants of the Imperium. As such, he believes he can operate as an unsanctioned psyker, wield forbidden sorceries, and make use of sciences not blessed by the Emperor-as-Omnissiah. I do not believe it necessary to go into details, but his "Men of Stone" are an attempt to utilize dangerous, forbidden tech-heresy from the Dark Age of Mankind, with even more dangerous sorceries worked into some sort of organic control mechanism."

She sighs, and adds "I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that his creations have not already consumed him and whatever planets he used them on, before moving on to any surrounding sectors. They are a far greater threat than him alone, and we must ensure the complete destruction of all records pertaining to them."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

"Indeed. But I don't think we've stumbled across him by chance. No, I'd bet every throne I have on me that we've only found him because he wants to be found. We underestimate him at our peril. So far as I'm concerned, this is first and foremost an ambush meant to draw out any pursuers. Any other purpose he has is just a bonus for him. And if upon further investigation it looks like we have taken him by surprise, then that's only more reason to be suspicious."

Julio starts pacing from side to side, thinking aloud.

"We'll need to examine his whole operation, try to get an idea of weak points, bearing in mind that any weak point is almost certainly there on purpose and better guarded than it appears. From there, we need to hit him fast and hard. I won't have him scuttling back into the shadows if we break his plan again. This time, he dies, no excuses, no exceptions. Frankly, even if we captured him I wouldn't trust the Inquisition to hold him. Perhaps I'll send in my own Acolytes ahead of us to do a little personal information gathering. They could use the experience."

If possible I'll assign my own squad of acolytes to go gather more information on what Daizon's up to. The book says that it's entirely up to the GM whether or not my acolytes succeed at any given mission and what the effects are. If you want to randomly determine the results, it says to roll my Influence -20.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Julio presses a button on the console next to him, sending a signal out to his acolytes to assemble at the bridge. Several minutes pass before the door far door slides open, and the four acolytes shuffle in, a mixture of excitement, nervousness, and exhaustion filling the air.

Among them are Jebediah, a priest who favors the flamer and prose over hand to hand combat and uses his weapon of choice to ignite his sole vice of lho sticks; Ricardo, the roguish leader of the group whose pride and joy his is cyber hawk; Telleria, a psyker with a focus on telepathy and a keen hatred of mutants; and Eric, an accountant who had survived an encounter with the unknowable only by the grace of the Emperor and has dedicated himself as a penitent berserker in His Holy Name.

Ricardo stands at attention, he and his cohorts bowing their heads as they give the sign of the Aquila to Julio. "Lord Inquisitor Kierkegaard, we came as quickly as we could. What would you ask of us?" Eric, after his sign of respect, punches himself as hard as he can in the jaw, growling through the pain and causing Telleria to scoot closer to Jeb.

"Dearest Acolytes, I have assembled you here today because my intel on the most dangerous man in the sector may be up to several minutes out of date. You will go ahead of us and VERY CAREFULLY probe the outside of his known operations to see if anything new has developed since Davith last checked. Here is the data, now go get it done and prove I didn't waste my time recruiting you people in the first place." Julio tosses a dataslate to Ricardo, who deftly catches it and once again bows his head.

"We are but the edge of the blade for the Emperor! Come, fellow acolytes! We have an investigation!" Ricardo hands off the slate to Telleria without so much as glancing at it, and the woman follows in step behind him, head down to read it; Polonia picks up that she is sending the information telepathically to her cohorts, and Ricardo is warning her of dangers in her path as they walk. Jebediah lights up a lho stick and shakes his head, and Eric pauses at the doorway to grab it with both hands and slam his face into it with all of the force he can muster.

Some time passes before Tracy returns, riding atop a massive crate being carried by a handful of servitors. He ooks happily as he hops off of the crate, throwing it open and taking the clipboard attached to the side; the simian licks the tip of his pen and starts handing out the equipment, striking it off his list as he goes. When he reaches Julio, he gives him another big monkey grin and holds up a finger, writing down in a horrible, almost illegible script:

I HAVE GOOD SURPRISE FOR YOU

The jokaero whistles, and the door leading out of the bridge opens up; hovering into the room is Julio's prize servo skull, completely gilded now and covered in numerous tiny skulls likely gained from the odd vermin hanging around the ship. Most notable, however, are the two underslung shotgun barrels that have been jammed into the skull's eyesockets and obviously wired to go off when the plasma gun does. Tracy looks up at Julio with an expectant grin.

Outside, the ship containing Julio's acolytes breaches into the warp as they head off onto their mission.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Von Directus

The Space Marine cracked the barest hint of a smile at Polonia's words. "Organic control mechanism. This means that I need a flamer, or a power weapon. Perhaps both." Other than the fact that he'd always wanted one of each, of course. Astartes flamers were badass by just about any standard. "With apologies to the Lady Primaris... I have heard rumors of weapons designed to kill psykers, specifically. We largely used bolts through the skull to kill them, though that required that their defenses come down. Usually, this was handled by our Brother Librarians and our Brother Techmarines. Disable their technology, break their minds, then splatter said minds across the faces of their underlings. Even if they appear to be dead, it is always best to be sure, preferably with a decapitation." Here, at last, was somewhere Von Directus felt at home. If they could get to the sorcerer, with their combined might, Von Directus was sure they could kill him. Especially if the massive Astartes was in possession of a lascannon... but that would come later, perhaps. "No offense is intended, madam. You are a sanctioned and important member of the Emperor's forces. The focus to my words is upon killing xenos sorcerers and unsanctioned sorcerers." The Space Marine really, really, really did not know how to talk to women. He'd never spent more than an hour or two at a time around one since he'd been recruited over a century and a half ago, and he didn't know what they were like beyond a few hazy, very old, rather vague, training-addled memories of his mother. Smaller, of course, but then anyone was smaller than an Astartes. Did they think differently? He'd heard of mortal men doing really stupid things to impress women, and he didn't understand it. Women just seemed like any other type of people to him, but he had no way of knowing if that was true, beyond memories long warped by time. He planned just to treat Polonia like any other human unless she gave him a reason not to.

When the crate arrived, Von Directus took his weapons with a kind of childlike joy. The power fist, in particular, he cradled gently in his massive hands. This, at the very least, would not leave his person... although he did have great love for his other gear. His power armor's machine spirit would likely be as overjoyed at the new gear as he was; it tended to agree with him on many things. Von Directus would likely be using the power fist at every available opportunity. When you had a power fist, everything looked ripe for punching. He wasn't sure how he'd been able to pull off getting one, but he would not be letting go of it. He had a flamer and a power fist in addition to his bolter. It was like five birthdays and Christmases all at once, if such things as Christmas or birthday celebrations existed in the Imperium.

Von Directus watched the young Acolytes enter with a faint nostalgia, seeing in them the same bright-eyed eagerness he saw in the young Scouts often assigned to him and his Brothers. So naive, so eager for glory, so bright. Eric's antics made him smile; the young accountant reminded him of the raw emotional bloodlust that practically oozed off of brand new Space Wolves. He thought about saying something-- extending some of his knowledge of emotional control techniques to the young berserker... but the moment passed, and Eric was gone. Von Directus could only hope that the young man would learn on his own before he developed brain damage.

"...what happens now?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

"I would imagine we head to the heretic's last known location. On the way we pore over every scrap of information we can to piece together everything available, even in the abstract. I would suggest looking over the where and when these pict recordings were captured. That may lead us to the why. Once there's a trail we follow it like your noble lupine brethren to the kill."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith finishes his presentation, and turns to addressing the Marine's question. "Yeah, School Marm got that down pat. Men of Stone are basically really tough servitors that can actually think for themselves, so if they think the human telling it what to do is a dick it can kill that human, or well all humans. It is also smart enough to be able to produce more of itself, as well as make improvements! Their Nastier older brothers, the Men of Iron are thought to be one of the primary causes of the Age of Strife, along with galaxy-wide warp storms. So yeah, not good."

He remains mostly quiet as the acolyte squad are paraded out. He looks at the four of them, then back at the original group, then back again, about half a dozen times, his mouth slightly ajar. "Seriously, where did you find them? So what, I'm the team's nerd who is now a an unlikely badass? You couldn't even do some gender swapping?"

Davith runs his right hand through his short hair while his left one reflexively deploys into scribe tines and starts to pick and sort at unseen documents. "We all know Daizon is not to be hosed with, and you just sent the chuckle brigade out there to scout? You realize that if Daizon finds them he will kill them, and then be lost to the winds, right? We should have just move in ourselves; recon the place and then killed the fucker. Shame, that Ricardo one was kind of cute, it'll be a shame to loose him in a horrible and painful manner."

When Tracy comes back in Davith's left hand folds back into its regular shape as the Jokaero brings two cases over to him. He opens the smaller one and pulls out a plasma pistol and a holster. Nothing too fancy, but he spends some time admiring its robust (for a plasma pistol) design, before taking the time to attach the holster to his belt next to the Ripper Pistol. He then turns to the larger box, which he opens to reveal a polished oak box with expensive ivory inlays. Inside that box Davith finds one beauty of a weapon.

The weapon itself is a work of art, a wooden decorated stock matching the box is the most glaring item. The inlays of ivory and gold must have taken an artisan hundreds of man hours to craft, and depicts an astartes in Iron Mark armor fighting a bloodletter on the left side, while the right shows a depiction of the Golden Throne on Terra, the Emperor taking up the center of the stock. The stock merges itself into the main assembly of the weapon, crafted with some sort of metal polished to an Obsidian shine. Davith quickly slides the bolt back to see that the breech is clear, and then pops open the back of the stock, reveal a hollow that can hold three large shells end on end, like the tube magazine of a traditional pump shotgun.

Davith then reaches into the wooden box and pulls out something that gives Von Directus pause: an astartes sized bolter shell. Davith holds it up to a nearby light, and gives it a smell. "It even smells angelic." He glances over at the astartes, Good news, at least we can share shells. This think will blow up a small building from 300 meters. drat, these things almost make me want to forsake pistols. Almost."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

Julio stares solemnly at his priceless combat servo-skull for several seconds, then grins and nods to the Jokaero.

"Emperor on Earth, you've added more weapons to my skull and then attached smaller skulls to it. I apologize for doubting you, Tracy, that may be the single most Imperial gesture I have ever seen. Well done."

He turns and shrugs at Davith.

"First of all, I haven't the slightest idea what you're on about. In no way do they resemble us. Secondly, more current intel is always valuable. And thirdly, nobody lives forever. I can't tiptoe around pretending that I don't face danger, recruiting the Imperium's finest only to do my paperwork and fetch me recaff. The Rosette is a heavy burden; I am expected to spend lives and take them as I see fit. I've lost Acolytes before and I will lose them again. What matters is that I make use of their lives so that the Imperium can become a better place, so that one day perhaps lives won't need to be spent."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith's mouth hangs open, and his eyes are wide behind his shades. "Seriously? A dashing rogue with a name of same ancient Terran linguistic origins, a priest with a vice, a psyker, which is the same gender as our current school marm, and well that Eric rear end in a top hat,
an accountant turned brawler, as opposed to a bureaucrat turned gunslinger? I swear, you coudn't make that stuff up!"

As Julio goes on about the burden of the =]I[=, Davith takes off his shades for the sole purpose of Julio seeing him roll his eyes. "Don't go lecturing me about sacrifice. You think I've built up one of the largest criminal organizations without loosing some good people? And they are good people. Sure, some are hardened criminals, recidivists, drug addicts, and so on, but a lot of that is due to the poo poo station they found themselves in life. You want to lecture me about the currency of human life? My organization is a loving sham,
Julio! It exists for the sole purpose of passing along information about real Alpha-Level heresy poo poo to you folks."

Davith's hands instinctively rest on his holsters, not in a threatening manner, but one that still makes the guns accessible. "And guess what happens when some rear end in a top hat tries to sell that poo poo to my folks? I pass along that information. But if others keep getting caught in the raids and my folks never do, everyone knows that I'm working with the law. So I send good men and women to these exchanges, knowing Arbites or Inquisition are going to break it up, knowing, beyond a shadow of all doubt, that they will end up dead. Your little acolytes there might be out-matched, but you at least have the delusion of thinking they might pull through. Try sending fifty-three people to their deaths, knowing that some Inquisitor's acolyte is going to torture them to death. Yeah, I know exactly how many, and I remember each of their names."

Davith replaces his shades and goes back to admiring the new Angelus Bolter.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Front and Center

"Then it sounds to me like you're wasting an opportunity to dispose of men and women who aren't so good, Davith. Would anyone else like to add their sob story to this little pissing contest, or are we going to get to work on finding Daizon?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

"I said good men and women you dense rear end; its called listening comprehension, how the gently caress did you get inquisitor? Yeah, I've used it plenty of times to take care of idiots in my organization. But you know what, you're right, next time someone wants to smuggle a Halo Device to an unsanctioned Psyker I'll set up a meet with one of my assholes that'll betray me for five thrones and a handie and hope he keeps the parties together long enough for your special ed rear end to get there."

Davith rubs his temples, "Finding Daizon? How loving dumb are you. I found Daizon you idiot!" Davith motions at the image of Daizon still up on the monitors. "But instead of, oh I don't know, moving in on the target, you decided to send the wonder brigade out there to waste loving time and die. So how about it Mr. Inquisitor, how about we go and get him, or do you have any other doppelgangers around here that'll make you hard to send to their deaths?"

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Von Directus

Von Directus' face paled a little when faced with Davith's explanation of the Men of Stone. Sapience. Constructs with sapience. His brother-by-blood, a man by the name of Mentula Cabut Von Directus, was one of the few Techmarines among the Space Wolves. Most of what his brother said went over his head, but the party's Von Directus knew just enough about tech-heresy to know that sapient machines were bad. This was different than machine-spirits, and individual suits of power armor having distinct personalities. Somehow. It all made sense in his head, but then again, he'd never questioned it or thought about it too hard. "By the Primarch's blood and His holy axe. Why? Why? What would possess any man, mortal or otherwise, to construct such things?" Daizon was a daemon. There was no other reasonable explanation for someone to do something so outlandishly insane.

The bolt did indeed give him pause. "...I see we of the Astartes are not the only ones given to appreciate the majesty of a bolter weapon. Is this your first?" he asked, a small knowing smile on his face. "It is a fine piece. Perhaps differently ornamented than my taste accounts for, but a beautiful thing nonetheless." Because Cibus Cabut Von Directus could resist many things, but complimenting another man's exquisite, large weapon was not one of them. He briefly considered offering to show Davith his own massive Hellfire rounds in return, but the time didn't seem right for it.

All the talk of duty and sacrifice, though, made his blood run cold. "Sacrifice. It is a strange concept, and one so few understand. I can see where the lives of others would matter so little to those whose lives are so tragically short, and to those not committed to the protection of even those who waste their lives away. We are taught that all lives have value, have meaning, and it is a shame that mortals view life as so disposable. I have seen countless of my brothers lost to the implantation of the gene-seed of our Primarch, soon may He return, stripped of all their humanity until the kindest thing to do for them is to end them. I have seen countless others torn limb from limb by hordes of ravening xenos, and I was far too late to save them. Commanders who will not take the field themselves can talk all they like of sacrifice; it is hollow prattle if they can do so without seeing firsthand the cost of their actions. My commander dragged several of my brothers from the jaws of death with his own hands because he recognized the sanctity of the lives he held. It is easy to send people to the slaughter if you do not view them as people. Sacrifice is easy when it is not your own." He spent a few seconds in dark, brooding silence, staring off into the middle distance. "There is merit in noble sacrifice, but to use lives as mere grist for the mill is ignoble in the extreme. More and more, the Inquisition troubles me. To think, the mortals I am sworn to protect freely dispose of their own. The dishonesty chafes." With a heavy sigh and a heavier heart, Von Directus looked down at his feet. "Let us kill the witch quickly. There is no holiness to be found here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marchus

This is... certainly not the sort of highly-trained investigative branch of the Imperium that Marchus had expected. They'd gathered information vital to the search, that much is true, but did they fall out with constant bickering in the face of personality conflicts so easily? He tried to stay out of it as much as possible but it was beginning to grate.

"Inquisitor, I have no doubt that you have scanners on this ship that can view us clear down to the bone. If we could consult them, sure we could find out who's bigger without further argument and actually get on to accomplishing our mission?"

• Locked thread