Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mostly just the stuff you listed. Will need to measure then order a driveshaft. Fab work on my end should be simple stuff like tank mount, windows and some minor sheet metal stuff. Couldn't order hoses without the car to get measurements, hoping to find a bulk of these used.

Once seats mounted I will have to have a harness bar added, need to find a shop that works with chromoly. I'm pretty sure the fab shop near my house can do it and other stuff he's done for me has come back quickly and very well done.

Wiring, plumbing and assembly will still be a major project. Schedule looks fairly clear for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mini update as I'm horrible at having a thread.

Installed wheel, quick disconnect stuff then did a test fit of the seat. It fits but just barely, this cage was not designed for a halo seat and anyone taller than me. Not to thread in the master cylinders to make sure seat distance is correct but it felt pretty good.

Also tossed in one of the Ground Control race camber plates.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mini update as I'm horrible at having a thread.

Installed wheel, quick disconnect stuff then did a test fit of the seat. It fits but just barely, this cage was not designed for a halo seat and anyone taller than me. Not to thread in the master cylinders to make sure seat distance is correct but it felt pretty good.

Also tossed in one of the Ground Control race camber plates.

I see that you've trimmed the lip on the shock tower a bit. Was that required for those plates or just something to make the more extreme (EXTREME!) settings easier to get at?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

I see that you've trimmed the lip on the shock tower a bit. Was that required for those plates or just something to make the more extreme (EXTREME!) settings easier to get at?

Na that's how they are from the factory. I may end up doing some trimming to get more camber since these cars run best at -3 to -3.5 IMO. It does look like at some point in this cars history someone messed with the shock towers though, I think they were modified for more camber with some cutting and welding. I'll try to remember to get a picture of that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Instead of packing the E21 for the E30 meet that I had planned on arriving at yesterday morning I tinkered with the track car a bit. Put in the other camber/caster plate. With the camber plates and modified shock towers I can get around 4.25 degrees of negative camber with the plates maxed out. I plan to run in the 3.5-3.8 range but it's nice to know I have more available. Got a couple pictures to show the previous shock tower adjustments which seem to have added 1.5-2 degrees.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Little update as I've been tinkering with things and trying to figure out the best way to run various plumbing things. Just doing a photo dump :effort: but painted engine/trans mounts (Rustoleum high temp silver is fairly close to Lachssilber), installed and removed the pedal box 20 times, got hardware for the pedal box and master cylinder mounting and went through roughly 500 latex gloves...I need to buy thicker ones next time. We're also baby sitting a monster lab for the next two weeks. He's big and dumb but a good garage buddy once he calms down.

I also looked at some old race cars, full album here but it's mostly interior stuff - http://imgur.com/a/RVWEU This is completely free to view and open to the public, if you're near Spartanburg, SC it is worth a stop.

Ok now for my present dilemma that I've been bugging the AI Slack about. I need to figure out my brake plumbing, mostly going from one thread to another. Master cylinder for reference - https://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/master_cylinders/flange_mounted_types/vertical_flange_types/cp2623_type.aspx I have the tools to make all the regular brake flares but not the 37 required for AN.
Master in - 7/16"-20
Master out - 3/8"-24
Fluid Reservoir out - 4AN
Calipers - M10x1.00

So in is easy, found 7/16-20 to 4AN o-ring boss adapters (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3603) and three are on the way.

Master out to the brakes is where I'm trying to figure out best route. Rear need to go out then run through the cabin to a four way split in the rear, front needs to go into a tee fitting as close to the master as possible then run to the front corners. I can find 3/8-24 to 3AN but then I have to go 3AN to m10x1.00 and I'm not finding 3AN female to m10x1.00 adapters. I also don't want a mess of adapters and connections cluttering things up and leading to possible leaks.

Something like this would be ideal except for the 3AN outputs, getting rid of a tee fitting is always a bonus. Would have to make sure I'd have room for it though, especially if I had to have adapter on the ends.

So best way to go 3/8-24 (o-ring boss) to m10x1.00 brake?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think I must be missing something. From the master outlet to the tee or distribution block etc, why not just use a hardline with a 3/8"-24 fitting on that end and an M10 on the other?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Exactly what I realized a couple minutes after posting. Just need to find a fitting that will seal since I think the outlet is just a hole with no flare to seal but a crush washer or something should do the trick.

Yay for over complicating things as usual.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Exactly what I realized a couple minutes after posting. Just need to find a fitting that will seal since I think the outlet is just a hole with no flare to seal but a crush washer or something should do the trick.

Yay for over complicating things as usual.
As long as the bottom as the hole isn't really poorly machined, a bubble flare should work just fine, though, shouldn't it? I assume they just drill it such that it has a conical bottom to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

As long as the bottom as the hole isn't really poorly machined, a bubble flare should work just fine, though, shouldn't it? I assume they just drill it such that it has a conical bottom to it.

Easy enough to test I guess but these should be pretty nicely machined coming from AP Racing. Thanks for bringing me to my senses. Big ol bubble flare and only tighten it down once I'm sure it's in for good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, don't forget you get 2 lengths of threaded fitting, so try one on its own first, and if it bottoms out the hex to the top of the cylinder before hitting the bottom of the hole, you probably need a longer one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This trans mount is triggering the mech engineer in me pretty hard. Why not just have it fully boxed (connect the two sides in the middle so they aren't cantilevered like that)?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Larrymer posted:

This trans mount is triggering the mech engineer in me pretty hard. Why not just have it fully boxed (connect the two sides in the middle so they aren't cantilevered like that)?

Oh it bugs me too, and I mentioned that next time he probably wants that to be one solid piece. I'm making something to tie them together that may eventually be welded on. I think due to lack of time and it being much easier this way is why he did it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Unrelated to the actual content, but you may want to go up a size with the gloves. I hosed up once and bought a box of mediums and I think I spent more time changing gloves than I did turning wrenches. I'd just blast them open like yours there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I think that's the problem, downside is I bought in bulk so I have 1000 small gloves. Good news is I'm at least 1/3 of the way through the pack

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Glove chat: These are working out pretty good for me, they still get torn from time to time but I usually go more than an hour on a pair. They don't tear just trying to put them on like some of the lovely ones I've had in the past.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC14K4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Even just a flat plate joined by those two bolts would seem to be an improvement and there appears to be enough thread to accept it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Even just a flat plate joined by those two bolts would seem to be an improvement and there appears to be enough thread to accept it.
That's my plan. Have some 1" x 1/4" bar stock I'll cut to length then make a few holes in it. Quick coat of paint and while it won't be pretty it'll work fine.

Tried to salvage the throttle pedal assembly last night but the bushings are shot and some of the stuff is bent up. I'll still be able to use the :krad: gas pedal but need to probably just order all new parts for all the pivot stuff. Would be lying if I hadn't thought of picking up a 3-pedal box but the one I have will work fine for now.

May see if I can simplify it slightly but I'm probably better off leaving it alone.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's my plan. Have some 1" x 1/4" bar stock I'll cut to length then make a few holes in it. Quick coat of paint and while it won't be pretty it'll work fine.

Tried to salvage the throttle pedal assembly last night but the bushings are shot and some of the stuff is bent up. I'll still be able to use the :krad: gas pedal but need to probably just order all new parts for all the pivot stuff. Would be lying if I hadn't thought of picking up a 3-pedal box but the one I have will work fine for now.

May see if I can simplify it slightly but I'm probably better off leaving it alone.

Three pedal boxes aren't that expensive and give you a lot more options as you're building your hydraulic systems. Honestly probably less of a pain in the dick for you to do it now rather than adapting your circuits to one later when you change it.

Yes, I'm enabling a bit, but also this is an actual race car so you might as well avoid trouble down the road :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If I didn't already have a nice Wilwood two pedal box I wouldn't even hesitate, maybe I'll see if their three pedal boxes mount nicely where a two pedal was previously. That or just go floor mount for less holes in the firewall and cleaner looking install.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Working on brakes over the long weekend, have 1/2 the lines bent and wanted to bolt things up on one side to do a hardware store run. Ran into a little snag on the rears...the rotor will not work with the calipers. Not a huge surprise given they look like rusty rear end original rotors. I haven't been able to find info on what rotors would work yet but the thread needed an update.

Rear calipers are AP Racing CP5020 - https://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/brake_calipers/pro_5000_range/2_piston_caliper_family/cp5020-20s0_(rh)_/-21s0_(lh).aspx
Calls for this 280mm x 9.6mm rotor - https://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/brake_discs/solid_discs/%C3%B8280mm/9.6mm_thickness/176.8mm_p.c.d.-bolted-cp5000-177.aspx

I'm worried that the mounting bracket being used will space things different making those rotors too small. I'll need to find the mounting hardware to bolt the rotor to the rear hub as well. Anyway here's some pictures...

Enjoy my pale legs

In case I haven't posted how they converted to proper coil over in the rear before.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Did you take those in your underwear? :confused:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

I thought it was obvious that he was loving it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ishikabibble posted:

:rolleyes: Leave it to a goon to not be able to recognize gym shorts smh

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Goons :rolleyes:

Random mismatched hardware aside this is how they'll sit once I find a floating rotor adapter that puts the disc in the correct location.

Fun fact: Stock E30 M3 front rotors are 284mm, rear 250mm. I'll be running 330 front, 280 rear

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 4, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Talked to the M3 group, seems this is a common issue though not specifically with the calipers I'm running. They recommended have a set of custom hats/bells made to adapt the AP discs or seeing if someone makes one with spacing that could be bought undrilled and made to fit.

Coleman Racing out of Michigan was recommended several times and it looks like they do a lot of custom work for people. I'll take some measurements and see how much :homebrew: a set of custom hats will be.

Solid mount option on this PDF should take care of my needs.
http://www.colemanracing.com/Assets/file/Custom_Rotor_Mount_Hat.pdf

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not ask AP?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've sent them an email, will see what they say

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Coleman racing is relatively low buck and good quality. Almost anyone else worth using will be worse money.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bit of a dilemma...

Rotors will be at the cheapest (I've found so far) £305 (~$400) shipped from the UK, they aren't sold in the US according to one distributor. Of course that distributor was also asking $335 per rotor. Then whatever is costs for Coleman to make me a set of custom hats. Using the existing calipers and mounts. This gets me 280x9.6mm in the rear. Should work as long as I don't screw up any measurements.

Other option is something like this http://www.massivebrakes.com/brake-systems.php?p=e30M3_rear_300_SL4R 300x32mm, Wilwood superlite calipers and hats made to fit. Massive is very well respected in the M3 world and great customer support, he's even helped me figure out some things for my current brake issue. 1050 maple bucks is around $810 USD

New my calipers sell for around $325 so if I'm lucky I could sell the set for say $500 or something to recoup some of the cost. Will wait for quote from Coleman before I decide anything but that's the options I'm looking at now.

On the upside before running into this I have the front hard lines done, rear hard lines nearly done and just need to bend the long hard line going from the rear master to the 4-way behind the rear bulkhead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Whose rotors are they? How much are they quoting for shipping? Could one of us send them out to you for less?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Coleman does solid rotors too. $335 per rotor for solid rotors is ridiculous.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rotors with Coleman hats would be AP Racing 280x9.6mm https://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/brake_discs/solid_discs/%C3%B8280mm/9.6mm_thickness/176.8mm_p.c.d.-bolted-cp5000-177.aspx
But any rotor of that size would work, I need to see what the smaller formula cars run because I may be able to find something more readily available in the US. You'd think a simple thin blank like that would be comparatively cheap.

I found them on http://www.burtonpower.com/ for ~$170 a piece which still isn't cheap but cheaper than the other place quoted me. Demon-Tweeks website is being fucky today so I can't see what their pricing is, kind of sick of their vague as hell ship times and additional $40-50 on everything though.

Coleman one piece rotors are another option but I think I may be over the 2.75" max height with how far back these will need to sit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you want anything AP, give Techcraft Motorsport in Warwick a try. I do have an email for the guy there which I can PM you if you want, but his number is 01926 403721, just account for the time difference if you call. Small company so bit more personal to deal with.

I'm afraid that trying to send lumps of metal across the atlantic is always going to be somewhat eyewatering cost-wise, though on the flipside you shouldn't have to pay our 20% sales tax.

Certainly, it seems that what you really need is someone in the US who makes blanks which they'll drill to suit for you, even if it's a bit pricey, it might well be less than what you're looking at here.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rotors with Coleman hats would be AP Racing 280x9.6mm https://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/brake_discs/solid_discs/%C3%B8280mm/9.6mm_thickness/176.8mm_p.c.d.-bolted-cp5000-177.aspx
But any rotor of that size would work, I need to see what the smaller formula cars run because I may be able to find something more readily available in the US. You'd think a simple thin blank like that would be comparatively cheap.

I found them on http://www.burtonpower.com/ for ~$170 a piece which still isn't cheap but cheaper than the other place quoted me. Demon-Tweeks website is being fucky today so I can't see what their pricing is, kind of sick of their vague as hell ship times and additional $40-50 on everything though.

Coleman one piece rotors are another option but I think I may be over the 2.75" max height with how far back these will need to sit.

OK, those are 11" diameter by 3/8" thick with the standard 8x7" PCD mount... so metric looking but not really. Formula Continental is almost universally about 10" diameter and usually 6 bolt, so that's no good, and Atlantic is going to be vented. Coleman's custom bolt mount solid rotors are here http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-Rotor-14-12-Custom-Solid-Mount-P4592.aspx ... so that's any size between 1/4 to 1/2" thick, diameter up to 12 3/16", any bolt pattern, for about a hundred bucks, and that's for still hat mounted.

*quickedit* If you didn't have the rear calipers I'd be tempted to go to 11x0.81" vented rotors because that ironically makes the consumable cost cheaper.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 5, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Demon Tweeks' website is always fucky, real bad website that one!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

To add another option to the mix I talked to someone this morning running E46 M3 rear rotors and calipers, all that's needed is a bracket to mount the calipers. Seeing as calipers can be had for ~$200 a set (all four) and rotors are under $100 a pop this might be the way to go. Waiting on a reply for more info on the brackets.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

To add another option to the mix I talked to someone this morning running E46 M3 rear rotors and calipers, all that's needed is a bracket to mount the calipers. Seeing as calipers can be had for ~$200 a set (all four) and rotors are under $100 a pop this might be the way to go. Waiting on a reply for more info on the brackets.

That seems a lot more reasonable. The prices you were posting for solid rotors were just silly. Personally, I wouldn't run solid rotors on anything racy that needed to stop more than once, anyway, even on the rear (disclosure: not a brake or racecar expert).

edit: capitalization, or lack thereof.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If I was in your position I would sell the ap calipers and get a bbk from someone stateside to access cheaper consumables with less lead time. Also, the rotors on those AP racing calipers seem kind of thin for what you have planned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have a set of CSL front and rear calipers that I took off the Z4M, already upgraded with brass guides, complete with braided stainless lines. PM me if you're interested, I will cut you a super Goon deal on them. :)

• Locked thread