Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Pookah posted:

No, its normally called 'haís' or 'an tábac bhfuaici"

Wait I thought you guys used runes and not spanish....?

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
or scottish i dunno its all the same poo poo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

What is the deal with the IRA not being bad guys in American media?

Like I watched Burn Notice and Fiona is ex-IRA and blows up Miami constantly and I was like wtf why is she the good guy she's literally a terrorist from an organisation that killed more people than the 9/11 attacks

5000 Irish trouble deaths over 30 years, compared to 3000 in one day.
And half of those from the Troubles were from the other side fighting the IRA.
Some irish comedian had a joke saying that 9/11 had an upside, Irish people were no longer strip searched every time now.

And some sections of the US have this romantic idea that the IRA is fighting for 'freedom' ala Braveheart freedom.
So they still have fund raisers with fiddly dee irish music, dancing and shtty tasting Guinness, and the money raised gets sent over to drug dealers and extortionists.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Buttmeister posted:

Wait I thought you guys used runes and not spanish....?

Runes are for blow-ins, we use ᚛ᚑᚌᚆᚐᚋ᚜

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Serious Frolicking posted:

though i guess i could be wrong about that because that describes your mom pretty well and she always has a cock or six in her.

Got to cover the trailer park fees somehow, the lap dancing only just pays for the crack habit.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

happyhippy posted:

sent over to drug dealers

I mean, you probably have cheaper drugs now, right? It's not all bad!

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

happyhippy posted:

Some irish comedian had a joke saying that 9/11 had an upside, Irish people were no longer strip searched every time now.

And some sections of the US have this romantic idea that the IRA is fighting for 'freedom' ala Braveheart freedom.
So they still have fund raisers with fiddly dee irish music, dancing and shtty tasting Guinness, and the money raised gets sent over to drug dealers and extortionists.

short answer is the movie "boondock saints"

people believe what they see in movies

support for the war on drugs is largely because of the pacino "scarface" film. people believed (and still do) that drug dealers really do live in huge ridiculous gilded mansions - so everybody was in support of civil forfeiture laws to take those golden mansions and corvettes away from the drug dealers

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

The IRA supported the PLO which is really all the evidence you need that they were scumbags.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Buttmeister posted:

I mean, you probably have cheaper drugs now, right? It's not all bad!

Bizarrely, the drug trade has helped the two sides intermingle more.
Not on the dealer level, but people looking for weed go to the whoever has the poo poo for sale.
So you get catholics hooking up with UVF drug dealers and vice versa.
Building bridges, one toke at a time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
V.I.C.E. Reports: How An Tábac Craiceáilte Has Broken Down The Peace Walls Of The Mind.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktqNNsVJhUE

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the irish are scummy bog folk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Drink Cheerwine posted:

the irish are scummy bog folk

Stealing your Apple taxes

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

In Maine they have a candy called needhams that uses potatoes as one of the main ingredients.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

happyhippy posted:

The tank was British, not Irish.

The tank didn't exist outside that movie, in real life they shot the civilians with regular guns

The tank was added machinegunning the crowd to force Americans to empathize with the underdogs in the asymmetrical warfare narrative

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dashticle posted:

The tank didn't exist outside that movie, in real life they shot the civilians with regular guns

The tank was added machinegunning the crowd to force Americans to empathize with the underdogs in the asymmetrical warfare narrative

You are thinking of the Croke Park Massacre in 1920?
Yeah, they added a tank to that in the movie didn't they.

I was saying about the one in 1921, pics are here:

https://ansionnachfionn.com/2015/09/16/a-british-tank-on-an-irish-street/

Edit: Maybe I did misread the original guys post on it, he did say 1920s.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
that looks like a candy potato shell, and i refuse to read the thread to see if im correct because the alternative is to dumb and stupid to consider

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

chocolate in potatoes sounds awful

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

happyhippy posted:

You are thinking of the Croke Park Massacre in 1920?
Yeah, they added a tank to that in the movie didn't they.

I was saying about the one in 1921, pics are here:

Croke Park was a LAV not really a tank and IIRC they didn't run over anyone.

They just decided to drive it onto the middle of the field and then unload a .50 cal light machine gun into the crowd filled with the elderly.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

happyhippy posted:

That's interesting actually I hadn't seen any pics like that, I guess because it was after the 1916 rising nobody cares to include them in all the galleries going around atm

Also lol at how cartoonishly evil the Brits were, shooting into a peaceful protest and then using the deaths caused as an excuse to do a wave of searchs (ie ram with tanks) a bunch of people's homes and businesses.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

reallivedinosaur posted:

are they just wrapped in fondant to look like potatoes?

still gross

also there is an e in potatoe

Okay, Dan.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Croke Park was a LAV not really a tank and IIRC they didn't run over anyone.

They just decided to drive it onto the middle of the field and then unload a .50 cal light machine gun into the crowd filled with the elderly.

You're recalling from a movie called Michael Collins which dramatised a bunch of bs, nobody drove a tank/LAV/whatever into Croker to shoot people they shot the people with good old fashioned regular guns and just used the armoured machine gun car to try stop people escaping, apparently

Which is grand really when you think about it, considering it still wasn't enough to stop us putting chocolate in potatoes

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dashticle posted:

You're recalling from a movie called Michael Collins which dramatised a bunch of bs, nobody drove a tank/LAV/whatever into Croker to shoot people they shot the people with good old fashioned regular guns and just used the armoured machine gun car to try stop people escaping, apparently

Which is grand really when you think about it, considering it still wasn't enough to stop us putting chocolate in potatoes

I was always curious as to why the casualty count was so low. Even if the stands were sparsely populated, using a 50 cal in that environment would usually create a total slaughter house.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess Scotland's habit of making the most revolting food possible was transmitted to Ireland.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Then you don't know many of them

I think I'd prefer to keep it that way!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I guess Scotland's habit of making the most revolting food possible was transmitted to Ireland.

Scottish food is boss.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

reallivedinosaur posted:

i dated an irish girl and her gramma lived with her and her gramma was 90 and senile and only spoke gaelic and i would go to the house and it was like having demons screaming at me and all around me

poo poo this sounds pretty metal :black101:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Wamdoodle posted:

poo poo this sounds pretty metal :black101:

she looked like the gramma in the cellar from the evil dead movie it was 2 spoopy 4 me

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

happyhippy posted:

I've heard loads of stories of American girls coming over here to lay flowers on Micheal Collins's grave after falling in love with the Liam Neeson depiction of him, though I suppose that was in the time where it was more about the "braveheart" freedom and not just bitter rear end terrorism and organized crime

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

reallivedinosaur posted:

i dated an irish girl and her gramma lived with her and her gramma was 90 and senile and only spoke gaelic and i would go to the house and it was like having demons screaming at me and all around me

Irish is a language so terrifyingly awful even the Irish don't speak it

except the ones that do but there's like 10 of them so they don't count

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Theophany posted:

Scottish food is boss.

I'm talking like deep fried Mars bars and poo poo, not haggis.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
ai de dai de day oh potaytoes and whiskey in the jar-o boy-o

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I feel bad for the irish it must be awful

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

whoflungpoop posted:

I feel bad for the irish it must be awful

imagine having a big brother who poo poo all over you for the entirety of your childhood and then gets really pissed off and violent when you tell him to stop making GBS threads on you

it's basically that

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

What is the deal with the IRA not being bad guys in American media?

Like I watched Burn Notice and Fiona is ex-IRA and blows up Miami constantly and I was like wtf why is she the good guy she's literally a terrorist from an organisation that killed more people than the 9/11 attacks

The British aren't people.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hey OP, post pictures of hot Irish women. Thanks man, you rule.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

happyhippy posted:

Stealing your Apple taxes

Not even stealing them. We don't want €13bn in taxes from Apple, which the EU said Apple owe us. :suicide: The State Aid ruling literally turned the entire Irish establishment Eurosceptic overnight.

Worldshatter posted:

Irish is a language so terrifyingly awful even the Irish don't speak it

except the ones that do but there's like 10 of them so they don't count

The way Irish is taught is appallingly bad, or it was when I went through primary and secondary-level education. In primary education you went through about 5 years of just reading our passages, then they last 3 years maybe learning basic grammar, and learning of prepositional pronouns without knowing their true meaning or how to use them properly. Then second-level Irish education just throws you into a 5-6 year literature course, in the exact same format of the English course, just with some Oral exams attached. It's not taught like other languages at all. The only people who get through all of this without a passionate hatred of the language are native speakers, those who started out in an Irish-language primary school (a good proportion of these people have their heads up their asses as they're way more fluent compared to their second-level peers), or those who want to teach in primary level (Irish is required).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This thread reminded me to listen to the badass Whiskey in the Gyro cover by Metallica today, thanks for that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Sorry OP but this thing was done already in reverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KndzOOv-0&t=292s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

The British aren't people.

Theory checks out

• Locked thread