Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Considering the attacker was an elite state wrestler, he was clearly also very experienced and athletic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd give him a huge fitness boost over the average person, assuming he was still doing some training after high school.

But just shaking off solid hits to the head has to speak more to his state of mind than wrestling background.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

'Kano was the founder of all martial arts, the concept of martial arts'.

I knew there was a reason he turned off the comments. :D

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

'Kano was the founder of all martial arts, the concept of martial arts'.

I knew there was a reason he turned off the comments. :D

It was a very simplified (and wrong) way of talking about the change from -jutsu to -do, which is a philosophical and practical distinction.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The home invader was just about the worst nightmare scenario for a single unarmed guy (probably on drugs, definitely out of his mind, a very experienced wrestler), but if I were one of the few people on Earth who could plausibly register their own body as a deadly weapon, I'd also probably be making it sound like a hard-fought battle for legal reasons; just saying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think having any sort of weapon would be a couple notches more of a nightmare...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Smith doesn't really talk about attempting to take the guy down and restrain or choke him out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drysdale is putting together a documentary called The Closed Guard about the history of jiu jitsu. He said recently they're aiming for a summer 2020 release too! Should be neat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Drysdale is putting together a documentary called The Closed Guard about the history of jiu jitsu. He said recently they're aiming for a summer 2020 release too! Should be neat.

He has been working on this for years and years, which suggests to me that he's doing something resembling proper research for it. I'm quite excited.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

He has been working on this for years and years, which suggests to me that he's doing something resembling proper research for it. I'm quite excited.

Here's the instagram page. He's interviewed super old man bjj guys in brazil and for some reason there's one old guy in a speedo which you'll immediately notice on this page.

https://www.instagram.com/closedguardthemovie/

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It will never see the light of day

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Malaysia's relaxing the quarantine restrictions a little and my boxing gym has decided to run again I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS

i do know actually, i feel it's a BAD IDEA

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

JaySB posted:

Smith doesn't really talk about attempting to take the guy down and restrain or choke him out.

He probably remembered you don’t sell PPV buys with takedowns and restraint.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

He probably remembered you don’t sell PPV buys with takedowns and restraint.

I didn't realize it was possible for you to be the worst poster in multiple threads.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the Closed Guard instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_wFb01pYij/

quote:

Yassuiti Ono was Helio Gracie’s first great rival. They fought twice and was considered to be an expert in ground-fighting. His instructor in Japan allegedly invented the triangle choke.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Y1C5tmQ.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That's super cool. I was on a real kick of watching Senegalese and Indian wrestling for a while, there's a lot of great matches on YouTube. Will have to do that again and check out some other regional styles as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If I wanted to get into a martial art with an eye towards competition and general fitness, is BJJ the way to go? I was looking at Muay Thai too but it sounds like BJJ is way more common. There seem to be a decent number of Judo gyms in the area too (Austin if any other Texas goons know the area and have specific recommendations).

I'm in good shape but I don't have any real martial arts experience aside from like middle school taekwondo and wrestling that I'm sure would be absolutely worthless if I retained any of it whatsoever. I enjoy competition and find it useful for staying motivated in most of my hobbies so that's probably my biggest consideration aside from general gym quality.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sort of depends on your personal preference when it comes to Judo/BJJ vs Muay Thai.

Do you think you'll like getting punched in the face a bunch or having it kicked?

I personally don't like that which is why I went with BJJ/grappling. Though I have been kneed in the balls on more than one occasion. :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Probably the biggest factors are how well the school supports its competing students, and the relative volume of events and competitors for a given sport.

How active are martial arts gyms right now with the coronavirus running around? I'd just assumed most places were on hold, which would limit your ability to go check out places in action.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

All of the martial arts you listed are awesome and have strong competition scenes all over the world, and all of them are good for fitness. I would literally just make a list of every gym (of all those arts) in driving range and do a trial class at all of them, then make a shortlist of the places where you liked the vibe. Then, compare the shortlist for stuff like price, distance to drive, how it’ll fit into your work commute, etc.

You’ll be training for years, right? So invest a bit of time into checking out all the options. If you can’t decide between your shortlist, describe the gym vibes here and we’ll tell you if we detect any red flags.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really love grappling but if my clubs shut down and I had to go somewhere new, I'd take a muay thai or boxing gym with cool people over a judo or BJJ club where I felt uncomfortable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

kimbo305 posted:

Probably the biggest factors are how well the school supports its competing students, and the relative volume of events and competitors for a given sport.

How active are martial arts gyms right now with the coronavirus running around? I'd just assumed most places were on hold, which would limit your ability to go check out places in action.

Everything is still shut down here, but they're talking about reopening gyms and fitness clubs by the end of the month. I think I'll probably wait a bit and see how that turns out first, as much as I miss being in the gym, but I wanted to give myself time to research some schools before diving in. I'll definitely take advantage of free trial classes and see which ones just seem like a good fit.

Are there any specific questions I should be asking to get an idea of how well they support competing students / how serious they are about it?

Mekchu posted:

It sort of depends on your personal preference when it comes to Judo/BJJ vs Muay Thai.

Do you think you'll like getting punched in the face a bunch or having it kicked?

I personally don't like that which is why I went with BJJ/grappling. Though I have been kneed in the balls on more than one occasion. :smith:

Grappling looks more fun to me on the whole but I've always really enjoyed watching MT and I'd ideally like to learn some mix of grappling / striking eventually. Getting kicked in the head doesn't sound super great but as long as there's enough precautions taken in training to make sure my brains don't get scrambled I'd at least be willing to give it a try.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 8, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there any specific questions I should be asking to get an idea of how well they support competing students / how serious they are about it?

Here are some questions I'd ask:
- how many students compete at your school? What % of the students compete?
- what range of skill level competes? If you have 30 white belts competing but only 1 black belt, it suggests that the school might be hitting its coaching limit before black belt
- how many events a year do you try to send students to?
- is prep for an event special classes led by coaches? scheduled ad hoc among the competitors? How many hours of event specific training outside of classes do competitors get? Does it cost extra?
- do the coaches who train you for competition have competition records?

With striking sports, I'd also ask what the minimum skill level is before coaches will let a student to compete.
Without a solid belt structure, where you have some hope of being matched up to people of your skill level, and with the prospect of serious injury if you're underprepared, I'd say the minimal bar you have to meet before you're fighting someone is higher with striking.

Getting head kicked with your hands out of position is a different thing than being freight train doubled, brutally cross faced, and then armbarred. With the latter, your entire training will have prepared and guided you for tapping before that arm gets hyperextended. With the former, there's no way to tap to mitigate the damage before it happens.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Fwiw many bjj schools have a more serious comp crew even if the gym isn't super competitive on the surface.

Guys will have private open mats or workout together outside the gym. Sometimes coaches will quietly let them skip instructions to drill for upcoming comp or have off-book lesson times for the serious crew.

Tons of a ways people compete without the critical mass of people that makes Nova uniao or renzo NYC.

So if you find a place with good instruction you vibe with, really consider it. Even if it's not obviously comp focused.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Fwiw many bjj schools have a more serious comp crew even if the gym isn't super competitive on the surface.

Guys will have private open mats or workout together outside the gym. Sometimes coaches will quietly let them skip instructions to drill for upcoming comp or have off-book lesson times for the serious crew.

Tons of a ways people compete without the critical mass of people that makes Nova uniao or renzo NYC.

So if you find a place with good instruction you vibe with, really consider it. Even if it's not obviously comp focused.

Our gym does this kind of thing. On average there is at least one off-schedule workout every day, and it gets even busier when someone has an MMA fight coming up. One of my favourite ways to train is to help shark tank someone for comp prep.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I don't compete but I've always stayed in good shape and been serious enough to help the competitive guys get reps.

I usually end up the secret list despite being pretty mediocre. I've heard I'm a good partner. Probably because I am very safety conscious and don't mind losing haha

I appreciate it because at least I get some pseudo competition

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Area street fight manages not to go to the ground.
https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1259982680369901569

That karate stylist is pretty high level. I assume he's not TKD cuz he's keeping his hands up. He doesn't flinch when the punches come, stays centered over his feet on punches, and has the balls to throw a spin kick on uneven ground in a streetfight.
His unguarded stance switch at a distance is very sparring mentality, but it was fine.
Too bad the last kick didn't land the liver.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

kimbo305 posted:

That karate stylist is pretty high level. I assume he's not TKD cuz he's keeping his hands up. He doesn't flinch when the punches come, stays centered over his feet on punches, and has the balls to throw a spin kick on uneven ground in a streetfight.
His unguarded stance switch at a distance is very sparring mentality, but it was fine.

Am I seeing this right, shirtless guy is giving an indication that he gives-up and the kicker strikes him from behind. If he wasn’t in danger and the guy was surrendering kicking him from behind where he can’t see it coming seems brutish and cowardly.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Can't believe he threw spinning poo poo on the streetz.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Am I seeing this right, shirtless guy is giving an indication that he gives-up and the kicker strikes him from behind. If he wasn’t in danger and the guy was surrendering kicking him from behind where he can’t see it coming seems brutish and cowardly.

I think he wanted to land a clean blow to teach a lesson.

And then there's the 2nd video where shirtless grabs a 2x4, so he wasn't exactly harmless.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Can't believe he threw spinning poo poo on the streetz.

I think he wanted to land a clean blow to teach a lesson.

And then there's the 2nd video where shirtless grabs a 2x4, so he wasn't exactly harmless.

Ah ok, the context makes more sense.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

He also checked what looked like a blind side headkick and went body instead.

Probably not a defense for a courthouse but judging by appearance I'm prone to think the shirtless drunk/high looking guy started it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

He also checked what looked like a blind side headkick and went body instead.

Probably not a defense for a courthouse but judging by appearance I'm prone to think the shirtless drunk/high looking guy started it.

According to Twitter he did, he was abusing women and yelled he would hog tie karate dudes misses. Karate dude confronted him and shirtless drunk attempted to strike first.

Shirtless dude should of gotten more hurt, he didn’t say stop, he said hang on, like he wanted a pause and reset on the fight. Karate guy should of done more damage because shirtless dude went and got a wooden plank, came back, and broke Karate dudes arm.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't fight in the streetz but that spinning kick was pretty sweet.

Also, if I took a round house kick to the ribs, from a big man, with training, from behind, when I was already winded, I'm not sure "walk away with a limp" is something I could manage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

and broke Karate dudes arm.
Pt 2:
https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1260267704033980419

First round from above (skip to 26s):
https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1259983688911269889
When he does the spinning sidekick at 32s, he turns his torso first and looks at the target before throwing out the kick. Very noice technique.

From tweeter:
"I just talked to 'Jeff Goldblum' doppelgänger and he doesn’t want to on video being interview but he appreciates everyone supporting him Face with tears of joy and if he makes a gofundme for medical expenses I will post it !!"

"After all this shirtless dude had a round 2 but with a 2x4 then cops were called BUT shirtless got broken ribs and nose, and roundhouse kick man got a broke arm"

If it was the cops and not EMTs, I'm guessing self assessment. Not denying that thwack on the arm during the getup would lead to a fracture, though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for a heavy bag app? I have one, shoutbox timer, but it's not great. I'd be willing to pay.

I mean the kind of app that would say like "one one three" and "round house"; reacting to an app is fun for me, but the one I have just can't possibly be the best one available.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At some point, I tried the Bas Rutten workout tapes. He narrates the whole thing, so it's not random, which might have you bored at some point. There's quite a few different rounds of different intensities.
It's not an app, but I assume you could just play the mp3.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/bas-ruttens-mixed-martial-arts-workout-boxing/1245858837

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If my years of fight videos has taught me anything it's that if you win, get the hell out of there before they come back with a weapon or their buddies jump you or God knows what else.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

If my years of fight videos has taught me anything it's that if you win, get the hell out of there before they come back with a weapon or their buddies jump you or God knows what else.

Or do enough damage that they don’t get back up any time soon and are so severely hurt they can’t mount a repeat attack, and hopefully are so badly damaged think twice about doing so once they have had time to process the long term consequences of it. But finding that balance when you are on camera with going beyond what is reasonable to defend yourself is tricky.

I’ve always thought a Kimura to its natural conclusion would give a fairly long term lesson and someone with a fully broken arm even coming back is doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Well also not catching a charge yourself is important.