Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

100%

I don't know about others but I find having someone else involved (or a group) really motivates me more than completely on my own. A coach to give direction and work on reaction drills would probably be really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

thanks for the responses, folks

yeah, it's quite a shame, but it looks like it might not be good for my health if i continue to pursue full contact boxing. probably should indeed have done so more than a decade ago when i had the chance. :smith:

that being said, i suppose there's nothing wrong joining a boxing gym just to punch the bags, right?

Full-contact sparring is overrated. It's only one part of the training, and in terms of the proportion of total training time, it's tiny. It can be quite beneficial, fun, and challenging to do a striking sport with partner drills, padwork, and touch sparring. poo poo, if you're not planning to compete, imo there's no benefit to full-contact sparring beyond doing enough times to actually know what it's like.

You'll be able to learn a lot about boxing without it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a terrible boxer and really wish I was better, but we don't touch spar, and what my gym considers light sparring bothers me, and it's my one really big complaint about this gym that I see guys like Icy Mike and Sensei Seth doing this very light, friendly, playful rounds, and I can't have that and have largely quit attending kickboxing. :smith:

Edit:

This looks so fun:

https://youtu.be/WONtg5-lxaY

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 5, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Full-contact sparring is overrated. It's only one part of the training, and in terms of the proportion of total training time, it's tiny. It can be quite beneficial, fun, and challenging to do a striking sport with partner drills, padwork, and touch sparring. poo poo, if you're not planning to compete, imo there's no benefit to full-contact sparring beyond doing enough times to actually know what it's like.

You'll be able to learn a lot about boxing without it.

wait seriously? :monocle:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

Like, yeah. Heavy sparring is only one part of it. poo poo, we don't let people spar at our (muay thai) club for at least 6 months after they join and we have competitors who only do anything heavier than touch sparring when they're thinking about taking a fight. At the boxing club I went to, which was way more active for sparring, people still were only allowed to start contact sparring under extremely controlled condiations.

You definitely won't be sparring on day one and I wouldn't recommend that anyone join a striking club that allows (or god forbid pressures) day one sparring. Go to the club, take some classes, and see if you like it.

e. and if it's a legit gym, once you get to know people and make some friends, it wouldn't be unusual to go with a more experienced, trustworthy person and say "touch only to my face, but real sparring to the body".

ee. because there should be no contact for new people, feel it out, watch what other people are doing, and then talk to your doc.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 5, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm a terrible boxer and really wish I was better, but we don't touch spar, and what my gym considers light sparring bothers me, and it's my one really big complaint about this gym that I see guys like Icy Mike and Sensei Seth doing this very light, friendly, playful rounds, and I can't have that and have largely quit attending kickboxing. :smith:

Edit:

This looks so fun:

https://youtu.be/WONtg5-lxaY

That's a great video. That's how I like to spar and watching that makes me want to spar.

I typically wear headgear when doing that because gently caress it I'm safety sally

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

2 points:
Many (most?) people mean full strength/speed when they say full contact. In the old days, full contact meant a ruleset that let you strike everwhere (where it was legal in karate), as opposed to semi-contact, which forbade clinching and striking with the shin and backfist.
It's still common to limit the ruleset when you spar depending on what you're preparing for and what your partner needs to work on or avoid.

Gyms should train people using a continuum of sparring, and you should certanly consider some of those levels even with higher risk of injury to your jaw.
Experienced fighters have all of their responses to basic attacks fully committed to muscle memory, ready to pick between multiple options and execute without any hesitation.
It's horrendously inefficient to get that level of proficiency sparring fast and hard from the get-go. Let's say you're learning how to deal with a jab, and know how to slip it or pat it down, depending on range, speed, what you want to do next, etc.
At first you'll just be doing drills practicing those moves over and over, with very specific footwork. The maybe the puncher can pick between two different attacks.
Then you might get in the ring and spar with just the jab, slowly, so you can rehearse your responses and figure things out while not having the threat of a hard counter clouding your mind.
At my gym we call the safe exploratory stuff interactive sparring -- "75% speed, 25% power." In reality, it's close to 100% speed but pulling/softening your strikes at the end. It's bit of a counter-habit to the kind of followthrough you want on some strikes, but pretty good exercise in control. But this format lets you work on things you've been meaning to try without taking any damage while you figure it out. Like maybe you would to step off line and pivot and the throw a 1-2. But the first few times you go to try that, you get very lightly tapped on the head by your partner who sees the opening. Doesn't hurt much, but definitely presents the hazard you need to address before your technique is any good. So you keep going for it, maybe adding a weave as you pivot to come under the punch more. You get to a solution faster this way because you're not working at the limit of your fitness to protect against or evade serious power, getting more reps at your test move in an alive and uncertain environment without the extra hindrance of full power.

I'm very wary the first time anyone asks me to spar, but if someone I've worked with before asks me to do interactive sparring like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONtg5-lxaY&t=160s
I'll jump in any time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The gym I mentioned above did it that way too. Zero sparring for at least six months. If you were progressing then drill-like sparing with only jabs or narrow parameters for a few months, then open sparring.

Even then, it only one or two rounds so you didn't gas or accumulate too much damage due to lovely noob defense. It was explained to me that you really shouldn't be that tired after in your body - even if your mind was buzzing from the adrenaline and what not.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, this week I sparred my head instructor's wife who has a sprained ACL and also a heart condition (also a really badass instructor in her own right) and got a beautiful round kick to the head. She absolutely amazing lolz.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh I know what you mean. Women who like to spar are fantastic and dangerous as hell. Nothing like standing what feels like nose to nose and going for a punch to the head but just end up getting a kick to the face for your trouble. My original instructor for my first four years was petite female, and she loved to spar but got an injury that ended in her retirement from anything other than patterns. But she was amazing and absolutely got intense and intimidating as hell.

2 weeks to go until my BB test. I easily feel the most prepared I've ever been for a test, 9 months straight of hardcore training, but I'm still very nervous for it. It's going to be a brutal day. Ironically, I think my leg breaks are the ones I need to get mentally out of my head. I've done them, but my technique wasn't great so took a couple times. I've been working hard on it with the bag and pads, but next time is for real.

One thing to look forward to though: I haven't drank alcohol since NYE so 6 months dry, so that Saturday night after the test will probably be a ugly :lol:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 20, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hellz yes, dude! If you feel that good about it, then that's a huge head start. I cut WAY back on my drinking and junk food lately also and it's helping a ton. I'm jacked as hell for this tournament coming up; hopefully I'll do a little better than last time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do you have any idea big the tournament is that you're going into? What are the divisions?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Do you have any idea big the tournament is that you're going into? What are the divisions?

Not sure, honestly! Last one I went to (our smallest tournament) black belts had their own day set aside for competition with the rest of us separated by gender. I *think* that since this one is so much bigger that we get grouped by belt and then hopefully by age since I don't want a replay of that 19 year old kicking the poo poo out of me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you don't want a 19 year old kicking the poo poo outta ya, should probably not be in martial arts lol

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I guess that depends on the 19 year old! No more 6’4” navy kids plz thx hahahaha

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ha ha..^^

Had a good class today. I'm super fortunate that my primary instructor is an 8th Dan, and just all around excellent instructor. He can be stern, expects things to be done well, but is very patient and gives excellent instruction. Which is good because I'm old, dense and not a fast learner.

Anyhow, he's been focusing on us bb candidates very hard for the last month and leaving the assistant to teach general class, so basically tons of one on one time with, biasedly, potentially one of the best instructors on the planet. And even though I'm admittedly biased, it's not just for me saying that, a very respected grand master told us that before and he's not one for lying or hyperbole.

Anyhow, worked a lot with my partner today and did two of our advanced forms which are prerequisites and also a pre-arranged sparring set which includes a jumping scissor leg Takedown... which is a little unnatural and a bit of a brain gently caress.

He was leaning against the wall watching us. After I performed the takedown he looked over at me, smiled, and said "that was... pretty good" (that's about as good of a compliment from him as you're going to get) which made me feel great. Then he watched us both do 2 of the 3 forms (3rd will be a randomized advanced color pattern and sprung on us on test day) and he said "you do it like that in a week and a half, you're going to pass that section of the test"

:unsmith:

High 5 my partner, walked up to master and fived him too. Felt awesome and a great confidence boost.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh hells yes! What’s that scissor takedown? My dumb brain keeps turning it into a pro wrestling move and I’m really curious to see what it actually is.

My head instructor is out for a couple of weeks helping another school (owner/head instructor had to step away indefinitely, so I think that our guy is actually just going to buy it out) so his wife is teaching the majority of our classes for the time being. She’s absolutely brutal. Same basic curriculum but when we’re waiting to do something (like say partnered up on a heavy bag taking turns to do a combo) instead of waiting, it’s always like “ok do burpees until it’s your turn” or “do jump squats until it’s your turn.” First time I took her class, I was DEAD afterwards and decided that I’d try to avoid her classes in the future but man, the last 2 or 3 I’ve taken with her, I’m still feeling the workout afterwards (and the next day) but I’m actually completing them without having to break and rest a second and even weirder I feel loving GREAT. Maybe I should go out if my way to take her classes more often.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Kani basami?

Watch out for that one, can blow out uke's knee if done wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah we don't even bother to teach it in judo anymore because it's even dangerous when doing it static

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Scissor takedowns look awesome and it's a drat shame that they have such a high risk of injury when done improperly. As I understand it, they're reasonably safe as long as you make a point of posting your outside hand and supporting your weight on it *before* you try to entangle the other person's legs. I'd suggest looking at capoeristas for good/safe technique, since they seem to do them more often than any other martial art I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaGbb4R1Vto

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

drat, that's cool as poo poo. During sparring, I'll unintentionally end up grabbing kicks when I block like I reflexively want to grapple, and found out this week that the black belt level classes mix a BUNCH of grappling and throws in to our normal strikes. SO I guess there's more motivation to get to that level.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Xguard86 posted:

Kani basami?

Watch out for that one, can blow out uke's knee if done wrong.
I had no idea what that is, so I had to google it. Thanks for sharing that and the link above.

The scissor itself is very similar, but there are a couple fairly major differences from what I can see.

Firstly, and this is important to remember, it's for all intents a choreographed sequence. We know exactly what the other person is doing, so no surprises. Unless, of course they forget or get mixed up, then hilarity ensues. :haw: The purpose of this is to show you know the technique, can judge distance and how to adjust on the fly.

The take down itself is part of the defense moves in the sequence, and the second last thing, only quickly getting up and doing a reverse hook kick afterwards to finish it off.

We start it from a separated, sparring stance, probably 2-3' around apart, not tight like grappling/holding.

Compared to the examples that I saw, I think the biggest difference is that we do it much higher on the body from a tall standing position. The person doing the taking down jumps onto the torso of the target. A little hop bringing the leading leg to the front of the body of the target, quite high. Basically chest height, at least over the stomach for sure. The trailing leg, on the backside of the target, is obviously lower, realistically under the butt but it invariably slides down a bit. The goal is to squeeze and lock on. We then "twist" our torso quite strongly and takes the person down, falling backwards, with them doing a complete backwards somersault once they hit the ground. We then spring up and do a reverse hook kick over the target, basically an "as if" they were getting up to come after you. All choreographed theater, but when done well looks fantastic.

I totally see how a knee injury could happen, especially with how I've now seen the ground guys do it, but with us the biggest injury risk we probably have in practice is smacking the back of your head to the the ground (the recipient). I had my bell rung from that pretty good the first time I did as I didn't quite know what to expect. Since it's choreographed, the person getting taken down should try to bury their chin in their chest to alleviate that risk. Probably has to do more with us starting it from higher position.

Committing to do the take down is the hard part and easily what people have the roughest time getting over, purely mental, as it's not the type of thing we do much of.

We typically do it on wood floors, but as you can probably imagine the landing can be hard, so if we're practicing it more than a couple times we either do it in the back where the floor is made of the soft interlocking mats or we bring out the tumble mats. More than that on the wood, you get sore pretty quickly. Master was telling us yesterday when he learned back around ~1980 his club had concrete floors so they had to learn quickly how to fall well. gently caress that noise.

I wish I had a video of it to show, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well.

EdsTeioh posted:

drat, that's cool as poo poo. During sparring, I'll unintentionally end up grabbing kicks when I block like I reflexively want to grapple, and found out this week that the black belt level classes mix a BUNCH of grappling and throws in to our normal strikes. SO I guess there's more motivation to get to that level.
That is totally a natural instinct, but a bad habit for sparring. A guaranteed call in a match. Try to turn your hand so you block more with the back or side of your hand, you won't be able to reflexively grab as easily.

Take downs and throws are not a big part of TKD (our traditional at least) and we never do them in general sparring. But, we do start teaching them at the blue belt level and are mandatory parts of the test.

EdsTeioh posted:

My head instructor is out for a couple of weeks helping another school (owner/head instructor had to step away indefinitely, so I think that our guy is actually just going to buy it out) so his wife is teaching the majority of our classes for the time being. She’s absolutely brutal. Same basic curriculum but when we’re waiting to do something (like say partnered up on a heavy bag taking turns to do a combo) instead of waiting, it’s always like “ok do burpees until it’s your turn” or “do jump squats until it’s your turn.” First time I took her class, I was DEAD afterwards and decided that I’d try to avoid her classes in the future but man, the last 2 or 3 I’ve taken with her, I’m still feeling the workout afterwards (and the next day) but I’m actually completing them without having to break and rest a second and even weirder I feel loving GREAT. Maybe I should go out if my way to take her classes more often.
LOL do you belong to my club? We totally get those too and that's how you improve your cardio. Keep on your toes like you're sparring, ALL the time. Doing all the drills, or even warm ups, in your sparring gear. Burpees in between or plank, but listen when being instructed, that kind of thing. If there are tons of people sparring, maybe have half the class sit on the side and plank for the 2-3 minute round until its your turn.... and by then you're just exhausted.

Sucks rear end when you're doing it, but at the same time when done, glad I did it when finished... even if I am sore for a couple days afterwards :lol:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

That is totally a natural instinct, but a bad habit for sparring. A guaranteed call in a match. Try to turn your hand so you block more with the back or side of your hand, you won't be able to reflexively grab as easily.

Take downs and throws are not a big part of TKD (our traditional at least) and we never do them in general sparring. But, we do start teaching them at the blue belt level and are mandatory parts of the test.

LOL do you belong to my club? We totally get those too and that's how you improve your cardio. Keep on your toes like you're sparring, ALL the time. Doing all the drills, or even warm ups, in your sparring gear. Burpees in between or plank, but listen when being instructed, that kind of thing. If there are tons of people sparring, maybe have half the class sit on the side and plank for the 2-3 minute round until its your turn.... and by then you're just exhausted.

Sucks rear end when you're doing it, but at the same time when done, glad I did it when finished... even if I am sore for a couple days afterwards :lol:

Yeah, I've been working to break myself from the grabs. We don't ever do takedowns or throws in general classes either, and I didn't think any of that was traditional TKD (more like hapkido from what I understand). I think the thing is that our highest ranked teacher (that isn't an owner) also teaches BJJ and just ends up mixing that stuff in as an optional thing once you're a certain level.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah the way you describe it is the more dangerous way in a grappling context but obviously that is almost totally gone if you both know what is about to happen and you've practiced it. So more power to you that sounds sick to watch and fun to do.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Scissor takedowns (which I love) are safe as long as you do it correctly and the other guy is static. As soon as the other guy starts moving the injury risk goes up and if he tries to defend against it the injury risk goes up again. Danaher did a really detailed demonstration of the risks on that ‘Train Safe’ thing, which BJJFanatics released for free. He spends like 20 minutes explaining how and why the fall can go wrong, and proposes an alternative movement that achieves a similar effect without those risks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ours is static at that point. There is a back and forth flow up to it, and then the the "attacker" finishes his last move and stands there waiting for the scissor to clamp onto them and take them down and roll.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Oy, weird question. I started training Aikido again (at the moment I'm cross-training with Wu Tai chi) and I'm having a very specific problem. When I'm being thrown and standing back up over and over I find that my underwear isn't keeping everything together and I get into a position where if my pants were to suddenly fall down everyone would see... everything. I wear briefs, does anyone recommend a different style and brand for keeping things tight that works well under a gi?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is the general "style" I wear, I think they are called "performance boxers"

I'm not brand fussy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yes, 100% same. I got some Target branded ones after I discovered early on that the regular woven boxers I’d been wearing were both limiting my kicks and getting ripped once my kicks were getting better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Same style for me. They rarely bunch up and never come down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Unscientific survey of just being in the locker room, I'd say 9/10 guys wear that style.

But yeah, they keep everything in place and do not hamper leg movement. Since they are quite form fitting, they work well if you want to put a cup over them too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've been sitting on this gif for a while, but it's a highlight of Cung Le doing the scissor takedown in sanshou fights:
https://streamable.com/8yekl
He's might be the person who's done it the most in competition (that allows this takedown).
And clearly he's hunting for times when they're relatively still and going to be easy pickings, but that's the point of any technique you're good at.

He catches Jason Yee with it at the end. Yee is the coach of my coach. I think one of the other people is Rudi Ott. There's only a few names in the American sanshou scene.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice clip. I love the guys that just get latched on and go almost all the way over.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My man needs a DHL sponsorship on those shorts stat.

Edit for content: Do you guys wear your gi/dobok/hanfu/whatever when you're practicing at home or just rock gym shorts?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shorts or something if I need to move lots (like working a ton on a heavy bag)

I never put a uniform on unless I'm training at the club.... or if I buy a brand new one and need to get the legs hemmed a couple inches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Guys that train with home freestanding heavy bags, how do you keep from pushing the drat thing around the room?

I've got a bag that's about 120lb, about a hundred pounds of weights on the three corners anti-slip tape on it and I still push it probably 5+ inches each time I kick.

Is it a lost cause?
E: short of a hilti or concrete anchor. I'd rather not put holes in my basement floor.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 29, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting and very esoteric competition format -- taichi fixed step push hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_2RyTkiQI
push hands in taichi is analogous to chisao in Wing Chun -- you're trying to stay in contact with your opponent and figure out the best moment to strike. Though here it's to push / throw / trip them without being pushed yourself.

The taichi guy obviously spends thousands more hours in this domain than the random MMA fighters who signed up, but there seem to be a few impressive skills he's using:
- high sensitivity to what the opponent's doing. Obviously directly from training this all the time
- never committing until absolutely necessary to react or attack
- switching very quickly from a rotating/yielding structure to a completely rigid structure with his entire body to nullify a push and return a push with maximal effect

I bet judoka of similar years of training would do significantly better, though not sure if they'd be allowed to grip clothing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Does this thread also have a Discord channel?

Pretty excited, I'm starting martial arts again this week! Going to be studying hung gar. I'd been looking for either Wing Chun or some other kind of kung fu and remembered an old buddy of mine studied kung fu, so I reached out and he pointed me towards his school. Hopefully my knees are up to it, but I'm super stoked.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

10 Beers posted:

Pretty excited, I'm starting martial arts again this week! Going to be studying hung gar. I'd been looking for either Wing Chun or some other kind of kung fu and remembered an old buddy of mine studied kung fu, so I reached out and he pointed me towards his school. Hopefully my knees are up to it, but I'm super stoked.

Awesome! Keep us posted; I love reading everyone's progress!

slidebite posted:

Guys that train with home freestanding heavy bags, how do you keep from pushing the drat thing around the room?

I've got a bag that's about 120lb, about a hundred pounds of weights on the three corners anti-slip tape on it and I still push it probably 5+ inches each time I kick.

Is it a lost cause?
E: short of a hilti or concrete anchor. I'd rather not put holes in my basement floor.

What kind of bag do you have? Mine doesn't slip terribly much but I've got it on Zebra mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

10 Beers posted:

Cool stuff, I know nothing about that at all. No discord afaik.

EdsTeioh posted:

What kind of bag do you have? Mine doesn't slip terribly much but I've got it on Zebra mats.
It's a big everlast but it's on carpet short pile carpet (my exercise room is a spare bedroom). I did try to put them on my interlocking mats, but that seemed to make it worse :(

it looks like this but I have the bag tied with ratchet straps to the frame to keep it the bag from moving too much and the plates on the 3 "corners". I was thinking of experimenting with the straps and seeing if loosening helps at all, I'm thinking for force gets directly transferred to the frame, and letting the bag swing a foot or two might be good? But wtf do I know.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 31, 2022