Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

that Im talking about. what does this mean? why do you think there are forces that when unwrapped are isolated only to a single joint or bone, that when wrapped now spread around to multiple joints or bones? I dont understand the science behind this. The force should be spreading or not regardless of your hands being wrapped or not. because your bones are already wrapped in your skin and muscle and bound together by ligaments and tendons, and there is cartilage acting as a cushion between them, right?

Think about it this way - you can break one stick with your hands, but if you tape 4 sticks together it's way harder to break them because they're taped together and they support each other. The wraps keep everything in alignment, too.

Gloves actually provide very little wrist support because you can't get them nice and tight around the wrist with the velcro, and the interior of the gloves are sized with wraps in mind. When I wear gloves without wraps it feels like the gloves are flopping around on my knuckles and I hate it.

But you can do what you want. Just note that everyone else in this thread - the experienced people, many of whom have competed, some professionally in striking sports, others who have trained and cornered pro mma fighters and/or worked with people who have fought on pay per views in the UFC - everyone else is unanimous that the wraps make a big difference in preventing injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Have you ever punched a heavy bag at a bad angle, accidentally landed on your pinky and dislocated it? Very difficult to do when wrapped. Isolated fingers vs fingers that you can't separate.

yes, yes, no. and arent your fingers still isolated with wraps? Ive never seen anyone bind their fingers together.

kimbo305 posted:

I honestly think it would be harder to find enough people of the same experience level / attributes to properly stratify the study.
Like past 1 year training of any sport that has full sparring competition, probably 99.9% of people wrap.
true, but I think its probably a little more than 1 in a thousand. out of the ufc's 700+ fighters you can find at least 2 who never use wraps, Wineland as someone mentioned and Gunnar Nelson, who isn't know for his punching power though. But there have to be at least a few more that we just dont know of. And even if it was difficult to find enough people, couldn't you, alternatively, do a different study, say comparing people who wrap their hands one way vs wrapping their hands another? Or comparing different lengths of wraps, or styles (I know they have 'wraps' that are basically just gloves, not sure if many professionals use them). If you find no significant difference, then that doesn't tell you much, but if you find one method of wrapping or length or style does reduce hand injuries, then you've sort of proved that wrapping can be effective.

It just seems crazy to me that millions of people around the world practice sports where wearing wraps is considered the norm, and there seems to be nothing studying their effectiveness.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Think about it this way - you can break one stick with your hands, but if you tape 4 sticks together it's way harder to break them because they're taped together and they support each other. The wraps keep everything in alignment, too.
Yes, but all the bones in your hand are already stuck together.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yes, yes, no. and arent your fingers still isolated with wraps? Ive never seen anyone bind their fingers together.

Your fingers are out of the way because you're making a fist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Yes, but all the bones in your hand are already stuck together.

More support is more support. Just wiggle your figners around. Your metacarpals can move independently inside your meat.

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what? You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?

Wish I drank more milk as a kid and didn't shamefully use wraps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My rheumatologist said that there's a wide range of hand physiology. Some people's metacarpals mostly stay in a line, others have very soft hands. Similar ranges for wrist flexibility.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CommonShore posted:

But you can do what you want. Just note that everyone else in this thread - the experienced people, many of whom have competed, some professionally in striking sports, others who have trained and cornered pro mma fighters and/or worked with people who have fought on pay per views in the UFC - everyone else is unanimous that the wraps make a big difference in preventing injury.
This is true and I agree. While there is no science proving the effectiveness of hand wrapping, there isn't any saying it doesn't work, or that it is worse than not wrapping. So outside of being a lazy contrarian, which I am, there is no reason not to wrap. The worst thing that can happen is that it turns out they really are useless and that your wasting five minutes max every time you train. Just set your alarm 5 minutes earlier, get 5 minutes less sleep, and it will balance out.

CommonShore posted:

Your fingers are out of the way because you're making a fist.
what? why would you not be making a fist? you dont need wraps to make a fist.

CommonShore posted:

More support is more support. Just wiggle your figners around. Your metacarpals can move independently inside your meat.
true, more support is more support. but Im not sure how wrapping your hands up stops the bones from moving around in the meat. if they are moving around in the meat, why wont they move around in the wrap? The meat has been evolving for millions of years to work together with them bones.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 13, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Anyway, Ive been browsing the internet in my quest for an answer to my question, and figured I should probably watch some videos of people wrapping their hands since it has been years sine Ive done it and when I did do it it wasn't for a very long time. So one person explained that the reason to wrap your hands is that it helps you make a better fist more easily. And of course, logically, having a better fist would mean a more secure and protected fist. Ill accept this reasoning, because it implies that you can also make this perfect fist without wraps, but wraps just make it much easier. This would explain why some people can not wrap for years (Eddie Wineland, myself) and never break a bone. We just naturally make a very good, very solid fist. I guess it is sort of like how some people just naturally have a strong punch (not me).

Anyway, thank you to everyone who replied to me and helped me in my journey for the truth

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

The meat has been evolving for millions of years to work together with them bones.

Not for punching, or sitting in office chairs, or dozens of things we do with our bodies now.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

We just naturally make a very good, very solid fist

I don't agree with that. Most people don't know how to make a fist that's worth punching. Wraps let you hold your hand differently from barehanded and still put the knuckles hard on target.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Not for punching, or sitting in office chairs, or dozens of things we do with our bodies now.

I don't agree with that. Most people don't know how to make a fist that's worth punching. Wraps let you hold your hand differently from barehanded and still put the knuckles hard on target.

Yeah that was my point. I was mostly making a joke there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whats a reasonable price to pay for boxing gloves?

I used to have a cheap pair with which I did kickboxing classes for some months on and off. Mostly fitness, some padwork, almost zero sparring. The gloves were in pretty rough shape by the end and I ditched them.

I'm now considering getting a pair again. This time its to gently caress around with/spar with some pals. Probably not very seriously or frequently. If boxing/kickboxing gyms ever allow partner work in my area I may start going to classes again. I already do BJJ so this is never going to be a major hobby.

I guess I'm wondering how little I can pay without going into territory where they're total poo poo and will fall apart on me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've had $100 gloves last a couple years of 1-2 times a week sparring/bag work. Really a waste to use sparring gloves on the bag, but :effort:
No pair I've had has ever torn the outer material. Either the velcro would wear out or the padding would collapse.

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

I'd recommend spending ~$50 a pair and get some dirt cheap handwraps if you don't already own them ($2-7 a hand). The Amazon Basics gloves are fine for messing around just make sure you get 14-16oz gloves assuming you guys are decent sized adults. If you want to go even cheaper you can get Everlast training gloves for like, $30. You can find gloves for 10-25$ but you risk an imperfection in manufacturing which could cause you some grief (loose stitching creating a rough edge leading to cuts for example).
Obvious disclaimer of if you haven't boxed with your friends before watch out; things get heated quick, people forget how hard they're throwing, and no gloves will fully dampen a full force punch from an adult.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Perpetual disclaimer: Boxing gloves protect your hands, they do not effectively protect your sparring partner. A full force punch at a hard target ( like a human skull) can easily break the puncher's hand. Padding the hands means you can punch much harder.

If yall are doing serious full contact, I'd suggest investing in some headgear.

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Perpetual disclaimer: Boxing gloves protect your hands, they do not effectively protect your sparring partner. A full force punch at a hard target ( like a human skull) can easily break the puncher's hand. Padding the hands means you can punch much harder.

Mouthguards are a must but I'm sure you know that. Definitely agree on getting some headgear if you think you'll do this more than once. It's ~$20 a piece and you can pretty safely go cheap on them. I spent my teen years kickboxing my friends, some of them non-martial artists, in a garage with wrestling mats after sports practice and full padding definitely prevented tons of dumb injuries.

Zomblified fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 15, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

I'm aware of all this, but still thanks for the reminder. My good friend and I have messed each other up over the years with the odd scrap so I'm pretty cognizant of the dangers. The few guys I'm joining-- I kinda doubt they wear headgear but I'll keep that in mind. I'm really not very interested in having my bell rung. And I'll absolutely be wearing a mouth guard at all times.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for kickboxing (punching and kicking) pads that will fit a wrapped hand and cost $100 or less? Personal use so they don't need to be "pro" quality but idks and would like to buy something decent for the price (and, quite specifically, the everlast boxing mits I bought once didn't really fit wrapped hands, which was a huge inconvenience).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jack B Nimble posted:

Any recommendations for kickboxing (punching and kicking) pads that will fit a wrapped hand and cost $100 or less? Personal use so they don't need to be "pro" quality but idks and would like to buy something decent for the price (and, quite specifically, the everlast boxing mits I bought once didn't really fit wrapped hands, which was a huge inconvenience).

Do you just want bigger thai pads like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Sanabul-Battle-Forged-Kickboxing-Standard/dp/B06ZZPWWPF

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 21, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, thank you; I'm still out from covid but any day now both and I a friend who also trains will have both our shots, hoping to do some drills and stuff.

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

I'm taking BJJ classes. Anyone have any resources/tips to learn the terminology? I have trouble following the instructor's directions and end up mimicking what is shown and/or relying on my training partner.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pretty Little Angel posted:

Hi,

I'm taking BJJ classes. Anyone have any resources/tips to learn the terminology? I have trouble following the instructor's directions and end up mimicking what is shown and/or relying on my training partner.

You could watch some youtube vids (Stephan Kesting maybe) to get a bit more interaction with the material, but it's like really any language - it'll get substantially easier as you go. Don't be self conscious about that - everyone there has gone through that vocabulary hurdle.

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

You could watch some youtube vids (Stephan Kesting maybe) to get a bit more interaction with the material, but it's like really any language - it'll get substantially easier as you go. Don't be self conscious about that - everyone there has gone through that vocabulary hurdle.

Thanks.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
"mimicking what is shown and/or relying on [your] training partner" is the name of the game. Stephan Kesting has a good beginner's overview for the major positions and some common moves, and another one for the major leg entanglements, although I don't know of a similar guide for open guard positions. You could try writing down any new terms you don't recognize and either ask your instructor about them after class or just Google them or ask in the grappling thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah post in the grappling thread, too. We have lots of purple+ belts who post here and who like to chat about grappling.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretty Little Angel posted:

Hi,

I am doing BJJ in Korea and basically very minimal Korean, so this may be somewhat applicable as I don't use any verbal communication to learn the technique as of late. Mainly, just watch the body/leg placements during the demonstration.

If you're really struggling, I am a big advocate of not being afraid to ask for assistance from the instructor. If they use a term just admit to them you're not familiar with that phrase and they'll more than likely assist in explaining the concept in non-bjj lingo.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My son (7) took a free intro TKD course back in January and ended up loving it. After a couple of weeks, he was CONSTANYLY asking me if I'd start taking classes as well, which is something I've always wanted to do anyway. I ended up signing up for an intro week and had my first class Monday night, and man, after a year of work from home IT work and not being able to go to the gym, I am SORE AF. The general ab and quad soreness is fine since I'll just adapt to that anyway, but the hip soreness from side and round kicks and my general lack of flexibility is killing me. What would be some good stretches to increase my flexibility and minimize this moving forward?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A typical warm up for us consists of fairly low impact, maybe running some laps, jumping jacks type stuff to get some flow, then opening the hips a bit... like low easy crescent kicks and rising kicks (think of a snap kick but not bending the knee). You can do rising kicks both front and side. Slightly increasing in height as you warm up.

Don't push it - a good instructor will give modified warm ups and drills to the newbies, and especially adult males that aren't as flexible as 14 year old girls. Assuming you stick with it you will improve, but don't fool yourself, you'll always be sore to varying degrees the day after a good workout.

e: Assuming you stick with it, patterns without power and speed can be good warm ups too, You won't have any yet though other than Chun-Ji which is just punches and blocks (assuming you follow the common order)

Wait until you start sparring and take a turning kick to the ribs and see what sore is like the next day :lol:

Out of curiosity, which type of TKD does the school follow?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 1, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thanks for all of this! I actually talked to my instructor about the hip soreness and general clumsiness I was feeling and he gave me some good stretches that I've been doing every day. Also, one of my friends that's a 2nd dan black belt in Shotokan and a yoga teacher decided to sit in on classes with me and gave me a lot more good daily stretches and poses that have helped as well.

We're going to a Tiger Rock school (I know, I know, but they're REALLY good with kids) which is now an ITA offshoot. I *think* the founders of Tiger Rock started ITA as a breakaway from ATA, but I'm not terribly sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Stretches definitely help. Probably goes without saying but since you're starting, make sure you are warm first and ease into them. I do a little bit of stretching in my warm up but most as part of the cool downs.

Not familiar with ITA. TKD is so fractured and hosed up. There are even more branches than I originally thought. Our traditional school is aligned with Grandmaster CK Choi. He's technically more in with the ITF but he is closely tied to the traditional schools. I've met him a few times (been to a couple of our tournaments and partook in some of our Covid online classes) and he is an amazing human being.

If you keep into TKD I highly recommend you pick up this book. Try and get the 2nd updated edition. It's a fantastic read. Gets into a lot of the history of TKD including a ton of dirty laundry and politics. It's really interesting read and my wife who doesn't even care for martial arts read it cover to cover in a day.
https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Art-History-Updated-Revised/dp/1770413006/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=killing+art&qid=1622903219&sr=8-1

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 6, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

slidebite posted:

If you keep into TKD I highly recommend you pick up this book. Try and get the 2nd updated edition. It's a fantastic read. Gets into a lot of the history of TKD including a ton of dirty laundry and politics. It's really interesting read and my wife who doesn't even care for martial arts read it cover to cover in a day.
https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Art-History-Updated-Revised/dp/1770413006/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=killing+art&qid=1622903219&sr=8-1

Thanks for this reccomendation; it looks awesome. TKD has such a weird tangled mess of a history.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's really a neat book. This history is certainly interesting and holy poo poo is it messy. It does not pull any punches relating to the origins of TKD. There is a lot of dark stuff, including the war history, the KCIA (Korean CIA) connections and outright corruption which basically sounds like something you'd expect with the mafia. Now that I think of it, it is actually kind of a korean mafia. A few of the bad actors re still active with the sport from what I understand. It's just an all around interesting read. The hardest part I had reading it was the names and keeping people straight with who was who, but you can get past it. It isn't all doom and gloom though, the newest chapters include GM CK Choi and some of the bright spots with his efforts.

The author is a super nice chill dude too. He's done some of our clubs online COVID classes and I'm going to try my best to have a beer/coffee with him next time I make it to Toronto.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Woah, that looks pretty cool; I'll definitely check it out. As an update, I'm feeling a lot of that "bad" soreness is going away and giving way to "good" soreness. I don't really hold back when we're doing bag drill or forms and always try to go full on (well, as much as I can at my age). I'm actually testing up for yellow belt this Monday; pretty sure I've got it, but still a little nervous about it. My son has actually been my biggest cheerleader on this, which I love.

EDIT: Also, History on Fire this week is part 1 of a multipart series on Bruce Lee. Really good so far.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 8, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Belt test after a month? Wow. That's impressive especially to learn and perform the pattern well. What are you requirements?

Good for you if you are ready though. To give you an idea, I *think* we have a 3-month minimum for white to yellow and then 6 month min after that with most taking more.

[aside] Without going into super details, that's up to Black Stripe. It's a practical absolute min of 1 year from black stripe to Dan 1 and then iirc 2 year min after that. All of our dan testing requirements, especially going from black stripe to Dan 1, are quite intense and we actually contract a commitment for it, as in a written contract for 9 months. The average student does a min 5 classes per week plus fitness classes. You could technically get away with 3 classes per week for the 9-month contract but you *will* be behind for sure if you get sick, injured or take a holiday so you practically need to do 5 to account for "life."

We have color belt testing 4 times per year and "most" people take a ~year to test for their next rank after white, although 6-9 months is not entirely unusual. This is especially true for the stripe ranks as it's basically just a new pattern to learn and perfect the other requirements you've already done for the full color test.

We have BB tests 2x per year at most, sometimes only 1 depending on candidates.[/aside]

I was *super* nervous for my white belt test. In retrospect, too nervous.

I hadn't had to perform any kind of graded "test" in front of examiners, peers, students in many years. I guess large part of my nerves was that I didn't really know what to expect. IMHO testing gets a little easier on the nerves side of things after that first test since you have a better idea what to expect, but I still don't like it and get nervous to this day. I just don't enjoy the experience of being front and center with everyone, including the public watching me. But everyone is super supportive and really want you to succeed. I totally tune everyone out and just go into a tunnel-vision type thing.

That was one good thing with the Covid lock down - we didn't allow the public in to observe. Only participants and immediate family for testing.

Our masters give a little bit of a group talk/critique to everyone after testing. One of them is a Dan7, a super, super quiet Japanese guy who almost never says anything in the group settings. He came out and addressed nerves. He said when he tested for his white many years ago, that was the most nerve-wracking test he had. Rivaled only by his 6-dan Master test. I guess what I'm saying, it's normal to be nervous, especially for your first test because it's a new experience.

That said, I am pretty sure your school wants you to succeed and if your instructor says you're ready to test, trust them that you are and you will pass. The expectations for white-yellow are generally not exactly cutting edge super high. They know you're a beginner. As long as you don't totally black out and freeze or do something batshit insane you should be fine. I've never seen or heard of anyone fail a white-yellow test in our club system. I have seen people fail their yellow and green stripe tests though, but it's generally teenagers that just don't give a gently caress. If they put in even the most basic effort they would have passed.

Once you get to senior (Green+) levels, the expectations are much higher though and grow proportionally with each increase in rank. I wouldn't say failing Green+ is exactly common but, it certainly happens. Culminates with Dan testing which I'd say 50%+ don't pass the first try. Vast majority are the younger members though, mature adults have a far, far higher success rate for various reasons.

Will do some checking on that History on Fire. I haven't read much about Bruce Lee and should learn more.

e: Holy poo poo I needed to edit that for clarity

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 10, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Our requirements for white to yellow testing are 10 classes, then I think 12 to go from yellow to green. At green we start live sparring as opposed to bag sparring, and that's where they want you to get to, so I *think* they intentionally make yellow a sort of "slam dunk" to build confidence and then ramp up the requirements from there and increase the number of classes you need. For testing, there's 6 requirements of which you have to pass 4 to advance. These are for white to yellow:

-Ho Am form (first 8 steps). I've been doing this with my son since January, so I'm pretty sure I'm good here.
-Bag sparring, scoring 30 points in 1 minute. This is on a Wavemaster XXL with targets at head, gut, and shin height. Head=3 points, gut=2 points, shin=1 point. You can't hit the same target twice in a row, front hand hits do not count, back hand hits score only 1 point regardless of target, you must follow up a scoring hand strike with a kick, when you kick, your foot must touch the ground before you can kick again. From what I'm told these requirements basically mimic live sparring with the match being "reset" when a hit is scored. My high score on this is 69 points. NICE.
-Board breaking - 1 shot each of reverse front kick, step side kick, downward palm strike, overhand hammerfist. For yellow you only need to break 1 of the 4. I can do all of these with no issues except the side kick because I loving suck at side kicks.
-Sparring flow - basically you stand in a ready stance and they call out 2-4 moves, you do them in that order. Should be fine on this.
-Current rotation techniques-this cycle we're doing a modified kamakubi/goose neck wrist lock, and step spin side kick, and flipping a full mount. I'm good with most of these.
-Some inspirational saying thing; it's like 2 sentences. All good.

I'm sure this is RADICALLY different from actual testing, but I'm interested to hear how different it is.

ninja edit: Here's a link to the first part of the Ho Am form. This isn't my school, but the steps are (almost) the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIyhKRuNW0Y

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 10, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Interesting, thanks for that rundown. Definitely different than us. I agree with you, they want to instill confidence and want you to pass for sure. Like I said, I don't think I've ever seen a white-yellow not pass. Although I'd like to see how bad it would have to be out of morbid curiosity.

The patterns we follow are similar to the ITF regimen (actually, we're traditional so predate the ITF, so more accurately they follow our pattern set).

Our testing for white-yellow is:

Chon-Ji pattern. It's the entry level pattern which consists of basic upper body techniques, middle section punches, low blocks and side blocks with stance changes. Interestingly enough some schools do an intermediate yellow stripe rank which is basically a 4-directional punch set before the full pattern.

Kicks to the hand - With a partner, they present their hand as a target and you kick the target with snap kick, turning kick and side kick. Funny story, when I did my test back in the day I was partnered with another adult but it was a petite female that was all of 5' tall and I am 5'11. I presented the target and she repeatedly kept kicking me in the ribs so after the 3rd time I crouched lower for self preservation. Everyone thought it was pretty funny.

Sparring - 1-2 minutes of open sparing. At this level, they just literally want to see that you know some basic techniques (the ones in your pattern are fine) and you are striking to the air at a distance as they don't want to risk contact. Control is not a thing that white belts are known for.

Every rank has a new pattern and sparring as part of the testing. Additionally, every full rank/belt change throws in another set of techniques called "pre-arranged" or "step" sparring. These are at their core are a prearranged set of moves which have both an attacker component and a corresponding defensive set of moves for the other person. These serve several purposes but really help the students judge distance and help to learn making changes on the fly.

Yellow (up to green stripe) Basic sparring - solo techniques, mostly focused on the basic kicks, punches and slow motion technique for balance.
Green (up to blue stripe) have 2-step partner sparring - 7 sets
Blue (up to red stripe) have 1-step partner sparring 7 sets - includes 3 take downs
Red (up to black stripe) has appointment partner sparring 5 sets - advanced techniques

Memorizing these is probably my biggest liability. I can work through all the previous patterns with a bit of thought, but I have a hard time keeping the step sparring straight in my my head... added altogether it's 38 unique combinations of moves (not including basic) and they can be called in any order as you get up to the advanced belts. Some of the moves, especially 2-step attack moves, are very similar but not exactly the same. As a black stripe I am expected to know all of them at any time. During testing (or often as part of warm ups in class or to instruct junior ranks) they can call anything out of the blue. For example, they might say "2 step #6 defence" or something like that, and you do that corresponding half of the set. Or, if you're partnered you'll do the whole thing. My memory blows and I have a hard time with keeping them all straight and this is a challenge for me. Being that I am the most senior color belt in class (also in age) I am, by definition, always at the front of the class so everyone can see me and might follow my lead if they get stuck. Jokes on them because good chance that might not be a good idea. Whoops.

We don't break boards as part of the formal testing until black stripe - Dan1 testing, although we do it in class with some of the senior color belts from time to time. We might bring out the re-breakable boards for the other color belts periodically but we certainly do not focus on breaking to any major extent. We usually bring them out as we get closer to testing, but many weeks or even months will go by without touching them. I'm not a fan of the practice boards as they are actually a different technique to do effectively. Black Stripe-Dan 1 also adds many more things to the testing regimen which I won't get into here.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 12, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dang man, that’s pretty intense and a lot closer to what I’d always made belt testing to be in my mind. That also sounds closer to “real” TKD to me, which is cool. We did a sort of trial run in class today and I feel much better about the whole thing. Funny story, though there is legit a lady in a back brace with both knees and wrists in braces that just started with us. She’s barely mobile and I have zero clue why she thinks any art outside of non martial Tai chi is a good idea in that condition. I got partnered up with her for wrist locks today which was SUPER awkward trying to work around those braces but still do techniques correctly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure what your school is like but it sounds like you have some doubts on the quality of instruction? If so and you don't think it's "real" maybe consider supporting one that is? I know absolutely zilch about "tiger rock" but after my quick google it appears to be a franchise outfit. I don't mean to disrespect your club but that's a pretty big red flag to me. I suppose that doesn't mean you can't get quality instruction, but I would be cautious. I know you said they're really good with kids, but keep in mind most clubs with a kids program probably are. I only have personal experience with my club, but I have friends involved with other arts (Karate, Kung-Fu, Judo, even the local anti-covid/masking MMA/generic fighting academy that decided to open during the lockdown because they know SCIENCE better than the stupid guberment) all have kids/young member programs where the kids have fun but have legit, bonafide instruction. You might want to consider sitting in on one or two just to see what they are like and get a comparison?

Regarding the braces - yeesh. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. We have a ~50 year old student that wears a pretty rigid knee brace (for additional support which ironically helps her with a straight legged hook kick properly) but a back brace? I'm not sure how that would even work. You have to bend at the waist so much in TKD and even bend back a bit for proper snap kicks and twisting kicks. Good for them wanting activity I guess but yikes.

External braces can be dangerous for both students as well if you get smoked with one or you need to grab someone for a take down. I had to catch her leg mid kick and turn into a take down and it hosed my thumb up for about a month.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 13, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I think "real" may have been a poor choice of words there. "Traditional" is probably closer to what I actually meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No sweat.

I was going to PM you this but I see you don't have platinum.

Here is a vid of one of our associate schools giving tips for our white belt testing. Thought you may be interested in watching.

The presenter is late 40s 6 dan. I've seen him spar and guy is an absolute machine in endurance and technique and a super nice guy. He is an excellent instructor and gives fantastic feedback.

He threw this together during the 2nd COVID lockdown so its out of his basement :lol:

Do me a favor and don't quote the link, I'll probably edit my post after I know you've watched it.

e: removed link

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 13, 2021