Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bjj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. In my Gb beginners class, it's most experienced working with least experienced. Think it's a great system for the new dudes.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Re bjj, is there anything I can do to stop the amount of tiny cuts I'm sustaining? We train on quite rough mats, puzzle mats I think they're called, and I often find myself with half-inch cuts on my feet and hands, occassionally my head. Is this just something I have to get used to? Been regularly training for over 2 years, so it's not a case of getting used to the mats. Cheers.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks. It's just small cuts on my fingers I've noticed today, stemming from training last night I reckon, wouldn't dream of training with open cuts or anything. I keep everything covered, finger tape, rash guard, gi, even yoga socks to cover my feet if there's any cuts on them (much to my teammates' amusement). I'm big on hygene too, showering before and after, fresh uniform every class etc. I DO have dry skin though, have done since I was a teenager. I normally use standard shower gell, would you or anyone else be able to recommend anything better? Cheers again.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
excellent, thanks

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Interesting, thanks.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been reading the ufc, grappling and MA forums here for years and I can't remember any criticism of Slack. This is all strange to me. I enjoy his work.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingslayer posted:

Anything but swinging for the fences in a street fight is cheating. They gotta get them standing and banging again.

I see this all the time in these type of videos. Punching and kicking is fine but as soon as someone gets a dominant bjj position, everyone feverishly runs in to break up the fight. hosed up.

As for training with strikes, I'd love that. It'd probably highlight how weak the bjj we learn is for self defense.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i guess that's what i mean, i probably have a lot of bad habits re keeping safe from strikes. We don't use strikes though so it's fine but I'm trying to keep aware limitations of my bjj training in a potential real fight. I'll run.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will not

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lapel chokes are super legit, get used to them

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't get how it's not true

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommonShore posted:

More grappling doesn't so much improve your cardio capacity as it reduces the amount of energy needed to grapple at your favoured pace. To do actual cardio work on top of that will have an added effect.

So it's true in that it will help you grapple longer without getting tired, but it's not true in that more grappling will not do much to help recovery or lung capacity and the like as much as adding a bit of HIIT to your weekly routine.

It increases your grappling cardio though, no? Which is the whole point?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just grapple imo

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyways with the bizarre content, mad willie

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I hope you stop training.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We'll be interested! Keep posting. I love hearing about bjj.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's another grappling thread btw.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No, and no

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Go on that dude!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Put your legs elsewhere

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well either keep them to yourself, so they can't use them to pass, or place them on your opponent's hips / inner knees. Use them to keep your partner at bay. Your knee on their stomach makes it easy for them to control your leg and move it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. Crossed feet equals narrowed base, easier to take down. I'm taking bjj btw, i don't do judo

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye combat base grip fight for a second or one attempts to pass or one has a position in mind to work from

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Obviously bullshit, gently caress sake man

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not just better, it's the best

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats baby blue!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In a sock?!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What in the gently caress

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where to start with leg locks in bjj?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where to start with leg locks in bjj?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As a blue i agree lol. Congrats dude

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't do any of that. Be a nice person

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goof story Trix, thanks for posting. Very inspiring. Good job.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Could get it from failed arm triangle if partner maneuvers to their side.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Road report please

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We've done that in wrestling and bjj class too

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds fake but ok