Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Just got back from a sport karate tournament (I'm part of an unaffiliated TKD school so we tend to have people compete at sport karate tournaments). A lot of the guys in the adult under-blackbelt division went hard but there was a Kung Fu school that sent students that had zero chill. Hard back leg round kicks to the stomach (which rarely landed on anyone but blocking hard kicks over and over again sucks). Still, it was nice to go to a tournament with decent attendance in the adult under belt range. I came out in 3rd with a by, a loss against the guy who went on to win, and then a win.

I kind of want to get the instructors to spend some nights going over tournament sparring cheese because I saw a lot of kids lose to repeated dive back fists to the head or lunge reverse punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In my TKD classes the owner/former owner of the school's son was one of the assistant instructors for a long time. He knows what he's doing and he's pretty good a point sparring and he's very quick but he never teaches people when he spars them.

We tend to end every sparring night with King of the Ring (two people fight, who ever wins stays in the ring, fights the next person) and he spends 90% of king of the ring in the ring every time. He uses a small number of techniques to score his points, over and over and over again and stays in the ring.

You could argue that by sticking with the same techniques he's forcing people to learn how to adapt to them but he doesn't work with people to lean how to counter them and after a few months (nevermind a couple years) of doing the same stuff it should be clear that people aren't going to learn it without more direct help.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Question for the strikers in the thread: Thoughts on coming up on the balls of your feet when doing front snap kicks?

During a kid's class I was assisting with a few weeks ago I noticed one or two students coming up on the balls of their feet when doing snap kicks as part of an attempt to get higher kicks than their level of flexibility actually allows for. There were multiple other issues with their form that were all tied together (scrunching up the upper body, bending the planted leg too much to get the hips tilt enough for the kick) so I was pretty confident telling the students to keep the foot planted and the instructors backed me up on it. But I've caught myself and some of the students more senior than me coming up on the balls of their feet (but without the issues) and now I'm trying to figure out how big of an issue this really is.

Ninja Edit: For context, this is WTF-esque TKD.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations for de-stanking my sparring gear? It's getting to bio-hazard levels. I'm considering tossing my feet and hand protectors and replacing them.

EDIT: Hands are these: https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/sparring-gloves/c-gear-gloves-11540 . Feet are these https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/boots/c-gear-boots-11240

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 6, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
On the knife fight topic: I'm super uncomfortable when we do knife self "defense" stuff in TKD with kids. It terrifies me that one of these kids might ends up at like 19 or 20 thinking they might successfully disarm a dude with a knife. Sure we mention all the time "don't do this stuff if they just want your wallet or phone, just give them up" but then we spend 20 minutes drilling something that isn't "hand over your stuff and cry like a bitch"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

You need ACTION JEANS with the flexible crotch.

You joke but these are a pretty big thing https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-ballroom-coolmax-jeans-46217.html

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone familiar with the downtown-ish area of Seattle? I'm moving out to Seattle for job based in the downtown area and so I'm trying to find a replacement for my TKD school I currently attend. Seems like tai chi and aikido are pretty common but karate or TKD less so...

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Checked out my first martial arts school in Seattle after my move. It was this place https://www.tkd-seattle.com/

Pros:
* Regular sparring on the calendar
* Sparring isn't WT style
* It's within walking distance
* Tons of classes

Cons:
* Expensive, $195/mo if I go month-to-month, $165/mo if I sign up for a year
* The more aggressive kind of sparring is apparently only done with this massive safety boxing gloves
* The adult black belts didn't seem that good
* Doesn't promote competition

I'm leaning away from this place, which is kind of sad because it's nearby and I kinda want to continue practicing TKD.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Competition is big, even tkd. It's goofy rules but there's some external feedback for the gym.

You don't need world class competitors and everyone doesn't need to compete but I would flag a place that never competes, ever.

My last school wasn't huge into competition but we'd have students go to sport karate tournaments a couple times a year. Just point sparring and it was all supposed to be controlled contact and no face strikes but you still could end up getting drilled in the face. It was enough that you could at least tell if they're training you to at least be good at playing tag.

This place I checked out said they don't do tournaments because they focus on the practical application of TKD. It's just enough to smell like bullshido. I would just give them the benefit of the doubt and try it out for a month but even with $techbux their monthly fee is a bit high.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Well, tonight I said fukkit, spend $180 on a Judo gi, a USJF membership, and doko fees to start learning judo. First class is on Monday.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Had my first Judo class tonight. It was pretty fun. There was a visiting instructor that only spoke Japanese and the usual instructor translated. Turns out she's Nakamura Misato, a two time Olympic medalist. Well, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LLJKSiLk posted:

Usually Korean terms, questions related to what we're learning, etc.

Doesn't seem that weird to me for TKD. Seems like a lot of traditional martial arts like TKD or Karate do some kind of written assignment as part of black belt to pay homage to that whole "develop more than the body" schtick.