Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone here in the Southern Indiana/Louisville area? If so, which places can you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Does this thread also have a Discord channel?

Pretty excited, I'm starting martial arts again this week! Going to be studying hung gar. I'd been looking for either Wing Chun or some other kind of kung fu and remembered an old buddy of mine studied kung fu, so I reached out and he pointed me towards his school. Hopefully my knees are up to it, but I'm super stoked.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

slidebite posted:

Cool stuff, I know nothing about that at all. No discord afaik.

Me either! I've done TKD, Taijutsu, a bit of karate that I don't remember the style of, and I currently also do longsword fencing. I've always been interested in kung fu so figured I'd give it a shot.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, that would definitely help — the kinetic energy imparted on the bag would get converted to potential energy as the center of mass of the bag swung up. Just a foot of leash slack might not do a lot, but 2 feet might help noticeably.

What are you looking to get out of hung gar? And what style/school of fencing is that?

The longsword stuff is HEMA, focusing on the German schools.

As for hung gar, I'm basically just looking for fun and exercise, but my friend said there's definitely self defense benefits from it, so I guess we'll see. I just really miss martial arts. I was looking for karate stuff but most of what is around here is tae kwon do. I was thinking of BJJ but I've got some iffy knees so thing like knee locks and bars would make me nervous.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Congrats slidebite!!

So I had my first hung gar class last week and absolutely loved it. I was sore as hell the day after but its all good. Been working on my horse stance and the part of the form I've learned so far, but was wondering: a bit ago someone posted a Sense Seth video and I quite liked it and have gone down the rabbit hole with him and his friends. Does anyone know of any kung fu type channels like that?

Also, if you all love martial arts/action movies like I do, I recently discovered Scott Adkins's YouTube show "The Art of Action" and it has been a great time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Morter posted:

One more update from me and my Wing Chun journey. I've earned my fourth belt (10 being Black belt) after passing an exam, and I'm now an intermediate student, where things will not only get more technical, as well as getting into official sparring classes.

I started in February at 242 lbs (5'8") and with 0 experience in fighting. I'm now under 200 pounds (Hovering ~196) and now i'm going to slug it out with others! Most fulfilling thing about this is how nice fellow students, new and old, were to me regarding the work I put into this, now that I've ascended in a significant way. It's very encouraging and rewarding to work and hone myself alongside others. In fact, when I took my test, someone who's in my grade, but is older and has experience in other arts (thus, I look up to) said I had powerful, 'WWE Style' takedowns when we tested our ground-based movements and leg-shoot takedowns for our belts. It surprises me how good people say I am at something, compared to how weak I am at something.

But now I have a collection of novice belts to hang up, so that counts for something. :sweatdrop:

That's awesome, congrats! Also, I had no idea Wing Chun had ground techniques or takedowns.