Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Just went to my first BJJ class ever and it was pretty different from what I was expecting after reading a decent amount about others' first experiences. The gym was way more packed than I expected, there must have been 50+ people there.

They had a group broken out just for newbies with about 12 of us in it. I was not alone in being brand new, two other people I talked with also started just this week and I got the impression that everyone was in their first month or two. What we did was drill I think 5 different moves instructed by a couple blue belts. 1 from guard and 4 from mounted. Mounted stuff was about how to maintain mounted position plus 3 different submissions (americana, armlock and some blood choke using their arm and your bicep) that could be used if the bottom person tried to bench press the top person off.

The weird part was I ended up paired up with someone going through their second class so both of us were basically going through the drills extremely slowly trying our best to copy what they showed but still getting it wrong. We did often have one or another of the blue belts talking us through it as we were drilling it so that helped, but it still felt bizarre drilling against someone else who was just as clueless as me. I guess the most surprising part of it was that when it was over after an hour(all we did was those drills) I had barely broken a sweat because of how slowly both of us were going just to try to figure out the motions.

It wasn't bad but I really wasn't blown away excited by it like a lot of people are after their first lessons and like I expected/hoped to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

different school do it differently. I'm personally very favourable to having newbies roll against experimented dudes the very first day just so they get to feel just how much they don't know how this work. I also believe it's good to drill with more experimented people often. But I know a lot of school split newbies and others completely until the newbies have the basics which doesn't seem ideal to me, but it still works.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yup. In my Gb beginners class, it's most experienced working with least experienced. Think it's a great system for the new dudes.

Bangkero posted:

September is also a time when a lot of gyms get an influx of new people and that was probably their way of dealing with it. Ask the instructor if it's usual that many students in one class - if not then you'll have a good chance to roll and drill with experienced students. If it is normally that many students in a class I would try a different school.

Yeah going against someone experienced, if for no other reason to just physically prove how valuable the training is, is definitely what I was missing. I know logically that I have no skills and would get destroyed by anyone with the slightest idea of what to do, but I imagine there will be a big difference from realizing that in theory and realizing it in practice.

It makes sense about September probably being a popular sign up time though and I know a huge chunk of new people quit quickly so I can understand why they'd want to do it this way. I'll try to stick with this school at least through the trial period because I'm convinced it's a great school even if the beginner program isn't what I expected.