Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, just found this thread.

Just wanted to post that I am in my 40s and now a blue stripe in traditional Taekwondo. I plan to go full blue in March for next round of testing and if all goes well, hope to be full red next year.

I was a little intimidated at first when I started as TKD does a lot of kicks and being an old, out of shape guy I was pretty hesitant due to what I felt was my inability to do it, possibly embarrassingly so. However, I took the plunge largely because the instructor for our satellite school is 4 dan, an approx 50 year old woman in incredible shape and super nice and friendly. Very, very glad I did. I'm probably the oldest student in my class, but we have a few others late 30s-early 40s. A couple guys are older than me in some of other schools and of various shapes and sizes.

First few classes were pretty rocky as you are largely thrown into the class and you're sparring with the group within 2 classes and you really don't know wtf you're doing. It isn't easy by a long shot, however, but everyone is super-supportive and since we focus so much on cardio and sparring (we are a very competitive club in international tournaments), my fitness has improved markedly. I talked a good friend of mine into trying it as well and he registered. We are all a pretty tight nit group, become personal friends with my primary instructor, and several others in the club and all do stuff outside of the club as well.

We do not try for contact in sparring, and really promote control especially as you progress into senior belts, but light contact/pad slaps happen often, I usually get a good good couple bruises every couple classes and have broken a rib.

I can't speak for other martial arts, but if it's a legit school with a good rep and intrigues you, don't be scared to check it out because of your age or ability.

I've only looked at the past couple pages and don't see TKD spoken about much or know if anyone else here is TKD, but if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer any to the best of my ability.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Defenestrategy posted:

Do the headgear and chest protectors actually protect you against tornado kicks and such? It seems like it wouldn't.
We don't wear chestgear, that's more of a WTF thing. Traditional is much more similar to ITF (to be fair, probably more accurate to say ITF is similar to traditional) but we don't do the "sine" wave thing. We wear head, hand and foot when sparing. From my limited understanding of WTF, they are much more, maybe exclusively focused on kicks whereas we do a lot punching/hand attacks in addition to kicks.

Headgear helps somewhat for some lighter kicks or incidental contact, but concussions do happen. Typically when people are pushing hard (like competition or sparring during testing), or someone that's still learning control. If you have a full on reverse hook or reverse crescent kick coming to your head and you don't block a piece of it or better yet, get out of the way, you've got a good chance it's lights out. I've personally never taken a kick to the head that hard but I have been the recipient of a bloody nose and black eye and a couple good kicks to the jaw.

e: Front facing kicks rarely cause an injury as the kicker is facing the opponent and can do something to pull it if it looks like contact is going to happen. Not as likely in a reverse kick.

My chest injuries (broken rib, some nice deep bruises... my massage therapist just shakes her head whenever she works on me LOL) probably would have been greatly reduced with chest protectors if we wore them.

In my case specifically, I think it's somewhat because I'm a big adult male so some of the older teens/20s just "think" I'm more experienced than I am and go a little harder than they probably should. That and I don't move backwards very often. My default is to stand my ground and block which typically isn't that smart of an idea when sparring with a good red +. Most of the younger people in my class have not sustained any real injuries as far as I know.

We presently have a push on injury awareness, mostly for concussions. We actually have a few big tournaments coming up later this winter/spring and it sounds like they're doing some rule changes which we'll be briefed on in the next couple weeks as we start training with the national team and masters. I'm curious to see what the proposed changes are.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 11, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

quidditch it and quit it posted:

There’s a reason you don’t see much mention of TKD in here.

Lol should have clarified, that's more than a bit of a misnomer. There is usually "contact" in the sense you are going to be "touching" your opponent, just not using full power. You need to contact to know a point would have been made or the attack succeed. If you are going against a 12 year old kid though, you don't want to hurt them so you dial it back. Adult to adult can get pretty sporty... probably more than we should at times.

But "no contact" still has "contact" we have the bruises to show. Should probably more accurately be called "light" contact or something like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CommonShore posted:

What are the rules of "Traditional" TKD? Is it a "no punches to the head" thing like Kyokushin?

And I've always been a bit :psyduck: by the foot protector thing, as I've really learned to kick with the shin and whenever I kick with my foot I'm like "gently caress my foot hurts and I think I hosed up my ankle." Do they help much? How do you guys make contact with a target?

I'm back at work on my phone so posting sucks and I'll try to give you a bit more of a reply later, but hits to the head are a major component to sparring and why there is a fair amount of concern with concussions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't forgotten about this thread and I'll try to do a bigger reply to some questions tomorrow (had a evening with Mrs. Slidebite which is rare), but the biggest thing to remember with TKD is that there are 2 main "types" - WTF and ITF. From what I understand "Traditional" is the style which originally came out of what is now North Korea and part sort of morphed into ITF whereas WTF came a little later out of South Korea, but by no means am I saying that with authority.

The TKD I practice is most similar to ITF style and if you walk into our class, you'll find most spar hands up, guarding, and we have just as many punches/strikes as kicks. Learning to keep your guard up especially when kicking is drilled into us from white belt. Some senior members might not guard much or might keep an arm out when sparring, but that will be their personal style that they are comfortable with and that's not promoted by any means, but if it works for them and they are successful at it, whatever floats their boat.

I really don't know much about WTF since that's not my discipline but from what I've seen its more arms down, kicking focused and that is what you see in the Olympics. They are also the ones that generally wear the torso protectors when sparring. I think that might be what some of you have in mind when you think "Taekwondo" if you're not overly familiar with it. I don't even know if they punch at all. While I think we do have some specific kicks in common, those crazy wild kicks that seem to be mostly for demonstration are almost certainly WTF, although ITF has a few fancy kicks too but those are generally only brought out for blackbelt testing as a requisite.

You will not see an 8 year old "black belt" at our club. We have a "kids fit" class for the littlest ones, I think 5-8, and then we have a "kids" TKD class for 8+. Generally speaking, if the kid is in his teens, mature enough and a color belt, they can go into an adult class with permission. I *think* we will award a junior blackbelt as young as 15 but they retest for a full adult belt. For a 15 year old to get their junior BB, they probably started as early as they could so probably 6-7 years in by then. But even if a junior belt was awarded, its deserved. They are not given away. I spar with a few teenaged black stripes from time to time and they are drat good by then.

We have several members that came to us with MMA or general kickboxing experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, small effortpost. And when I mention TKD here I am talking about my type, not WTF. As I mentioned previously I know very little about that and don't want to falsely represent that I know anything about it.

CommonShore posted:

And I've always been a bit :psyduck: by the foot protector thing, as I've really learned to kick with the shin and whenever I kick with my foot I'm like "gently caress my foot hurts and I think I hosed up my ankle." Do they help much? How do you guys make contact with a target?
Keep in mind foot pads are multipurpose and different kicks contact with different parts of the foot.

If an attacker is throwing a kick and the defender does a fast powerful block to it, there is a good chance that block is hitting the top/side of the foot, right where the pad is so the pad is beneficial to both.

The foot protector isn't going to do much to deaden the blow where the kick driving in the heel so that's all going to be distance/power judgement for the attacker and up to the defender for the rest.

If the attacker is doing a a kick where they would drive the ball of the foot into a target like a turning kick (and forgive me if we call these kicks something different than what other arts call them) we'll typically flat foot those and contact those with the top of our foot and we're not throwing those strong. If we kick those with any amount of power we're not trying to contact with the ball as those are easily a rib breaker as they generally target the side of the torso (depending on the stance of attacker/defender of course). That's how my rib broke in the spring (I moved into it) and I broke a rib of a partner few weeks back.

Alternatively, for a kick that is delivered with the back of your heel like an axe kick or a hook kick you've got padding around the back of your foot. That won't make a big difference if its a strong kick and fully connects though. It's best to get out of the way or block a piece of it.

Most of the foot "injuries" that happen to attackers are typically from bad form like leading a kick with toes. Basically a heck of a stubbed toe(s). Nothing ever serious as far as I know, but it smarts.

willie_dee posted:

Do you feel this prepares you in any way to defend yourself against someone trying to punch your head off?

Not trying to be a dick, I just went to an Aikido class once and have a massive degree of scepticism to anyone not training something which works reliably outside of its own competitions.
Oh, that's fine. Punching? Sure. We literally have people trying to punch our head multiple times almost every class. Basically for guys like myself and anyone 30+ punches are probably our primary attacks and heads are often the preferred target, although I typically like going for the torso when I get in close because in my experience people are more likely to guard the head and leave the body open.

I can only speak for me, but in my case I think it would help outside class but I had no formal training of any sort before and of course that's going to depend greatly on the skill of the attacker. Like anything else, a skilled fighter is going to probably get the best of someone who is not so skilled, regardless of their discipline. In other news, water is wet, more at 11. Not exactly an epiphany :)

I'm not in it specifically to "learn to fight;" more for the fitness angle. However we train for fast, effective attacks and judging the opponents vulnerable side on the fly. Once you get to senior belts sparring drills are attack, attack, attack with speed and multiple techniques. Multiple kicks without bringing your foot down are the norm. Multiple punches. You would easily startle and overwhelm someone not ready for it. We also train in retreating attacks so if someone is coming forward and attacking, you can still effectively attack moving backwards and try to point. Not that this is unique to TKD by any stretch of the imagination.

Probably no surprise, but there are things that TKD does not really focus on, like holds, throws, grappling, etc. Once you get into blue belt and up, there are some take downs we learn, but that's not what TKD specializes in. We do however have some defensive moves for removing ourselves from standing holds. I believe as you pass 2nd dan (or 3rd?) you will typically specialize and I suspect that's where you might be able to go more down that road, but it's not done to a major extent in the color belts and I can't speak to it.

That said, my primary instructor is a 4th dan middle aged woman (who is in absolutely incredible shape) and self defense is a specialty of hers and she throws some self defense, non-TKD stuff in classes from time to time.

spacetoaster posted:

We call this sparring.
What a coincidence, we do too!

I have some vids of tournaments our team has been in but I am not sure if they are meant to be public or not. I'll see if I can find something the club put out on youtube if anyone cares?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A good school should not only let you watch, they should encourage it. Same thing with trying it before you actually sign up although they will probably have you sign a waiver.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boy, that seems high.

My TKD dues are $60 :canada: per month for as many classes I want to attend in any of our associated schools (4 within 30 minute drive perimeter). But I guess the $$ depends on the market in your area :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question about mouth-guards - since it's not really the kind of thing you can try out ahead of time is there any kind of a consensus on best kind/type/brand?

starkebn posted:

That's...a thing I suppose. We have a general, "everyone helps everyone" attitude. Even a new white belt is capable of pointing out to another white belt they missed something the coach showed in the technique.
We certainly have no rule like that and encourage asking more senior belts for assistance, although each class typically has at least a few black belts in attendance in addition to the primary instructor that are usually more than happy to help. The main instructor would simply be overloaded otherwise. The only time I feel bad or don't is if it's obvious they are trying to work on something themselves.

I was working through a new pattern (form) and had a hand from more senior friend. About 10 minutes of it feeling weird and awkward until it dawned on him he was teaching me the last half of a totally different pattern :lol: so that's kind of the risk, but that can literally happen with anyone.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Actually the dentist isn't a bad idea. I can live with it costing a few bucks as long as it's good. I'll give them a call next week. Have a tournament coming up next month and I really should have one anyhow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

olylifter posted:

Jesus, now that i think about it, let along your tongue. Imagine getting kicked in the jaw with your tongue between your top and bottom teeth.
I discovered that I have a habit of biting my lower lip when doing a high power move, kick or punch.

That is a habit that I really, really want to break.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had my first "real" (outside) tournament this past weekend at a town a few hours away. I think there was 6 or 7 other schools within 5-6 hours driving distance attending. I am OK with how I placed, second in my division (30+ color belts), but on watching the video my wife took I am very disappointed in my sparring technical ability. I'm basically a 2 or 3 move guy and my only redeeming factor is since I'm thick (5'11 220~) and not scared to take a hit. My typical MOis to wait for someone to make the first move, block (or try to, might take give a point or 3) and then unload in punches to the body and head. If they aren't coming in I'll try to draw them in with one of two simple kicks (which I may or may not score on) but that will likely bring them in unless they're exhausted.

Problem with this is I am not varying techniques worth a poo poo, incredibly predictable, and easily get warnings and penalties out the whazoo because it's very, very easy for me to get called for excessive contact punches. I think had 21 penalty points in my last match (which cost me 1st) because of that.

I need to get way, way, better. Watching people that know their poo poo and then watching yourself on video is an eye-opener. I'm not going to compete again until I feel like I have broken this rut.

Mouth-guard chat: Ended up buying an Bite-tech underarmor guard that actually worked really well. After the boiling and fitting feels great and can talk reasonably well with it in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Traditional TKD

Was chatting with my master a couple days ago and he says I'm being excessively hard on myself and comparing myself to people that are much more experienced and younger for that matter. I'm still not happy, but it did make me feel a bit better. We have a big international tournament coming up next month. I'll probably sign up for point sparring and forgo the continuous until I get some confidence that I've improved.

Took a nice kick to the ribs the other day as well. Don't think I broke any because I can breathe OK without the sharp pain, but putting any weight on my side or core movements smarts pretty well. Trained last night and we started to warm up with some jumping jacks I thought "oh, this is going to be fun" but that was probably the worst, until the end when doing some floor stretches :lol:

In case anyone is curious, here are the medals from the tournament. The club that hosted is an ITF club which is similar to our style (in fact, their master trained with ours when younger), although we are at a disadvantage when we do patterns at their competitions because they do the sine-wave movement thing which we do not, and their judges are looking for it. Still got 3rd in the patterns though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

Watching yourself on video is really humbling. Everything looks worse than it feels from inside your head. I definitely look much slower than I feel in the moment.
Truth.

Haha look at that old fat guy trying t....

poo poo, it's me :smith:

One hell of a class tonight. Our 2nd master taught it and I don't think I have ever finished a class so soaked with sweat. My dobok must have weighed 5 lbs and my belt was completely soaked through all around, only the very ends hanging escaped the sweat barrage. The warmup was a little tougher than average but immediately went into drills... and more drills after drills, very fast paced with no let up intermixed with core exercises. A couple of the junior belts actually left the floor and sat down in the chairs we have for visitors - I've never seen that happen before. Then we geared up and did sparring drills for about 20 minutes, super fast paced and then transitioned into full sparring followed by team point sparring. Stayed afterwards with a green belt to help on pre-arranged stuff (need it for belt testing) and even though I was standing around not really working hard for that half hour, just remained soaked. Put on my street clothes to come home and they got soaked too.

gently caress me. The good thing out of this is knowing that I can actually do this poo poo. 2 years ago, absolutely positively no way. Probably not 25% of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes sir, was mentioned just a few posts up so I did not bother to repeat. Traditional TKD.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Judo club looks legit. Ask to stop by and watch or try an intro class.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Odddzy posted:

Edit : upon reading on the schedule, the classes are one hour for your age bracket twice a week. It's not a lot. Depending on price I wouldn't go considering the options on when I could go look really limited.
Didn't even see that. I agree, that's not a good schedule or a good sign to be honest. Makes me think there aren't enough other senior black belts/instructors to help teach. I wonder why?

Our school has adult classes available every day of the week except Sundays which is great because life happens and sometimes you can't make your normal classes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wangsbig posted:

nah dude. if the guy that owns the gym or one of his trusted circle isn't teaching you the basics and making sure you don't get hurt it's not just bad jiu jitsu, it's bad business

Not BJJ, but in our TKD classes the junior belt dictates the pace of the match.

It's easy enough to get hurt in a legit, well run class. That sounds awful.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JaySB posted:

I hated it for about a month but I was really determined not to be terrible at it. I'm probably just bad now.

LOL, I feel the same way to this day in TKD. A real fish out of water feeling for the first week or so for sure. Often I still feel clumsy and uncoordinated, but at least I'm not tripping over my own feet as often. Feels good when you get compliments.

Coincidentally, belt testing today - hopefully blue is in my future. The nerves never quite go away.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did my testing Saturday. Felt good going into class. A little bit of butterflies like all tests, but nothing terrible. Got called up to test and got 95% of the way through my pattern, caught myself making a mistake.

Stopped, bowed to the masters, restarted.... Which sucked because the 3 others that were up at the same time as me were all basically finished when I restarted, so literally everyone there (probably 200 people as it's open to the public and all the parents/family are there in addition to the club members) were staring at me as I was the only guy doing anything and they were waiting on me.

It sort of rattled me.

Then had to do 2-step pre-arranged sparring (7 different ones, each have an offensive and defensive set of moves, so 14 "sets" in total) and I literally couldn't keep my count straight in my head and had to re-do 2 or 3 of those. My last one features a high section (head height) jumping crescent kick, and of course my partner was probably about 6'4" and while I was able to kick head height, we were too close so when I brought my leg down I actually hung up on his shoulder.

Ugh.

End of class spoke to one of the masters about how badly that's going to effect my score and he just said "not much, don't worry about it." All the other instructors said I looked good too, but man, getting rattled just hosed me right up. I suspect I passed OK, but didn't go the way I wanted it to go.. that's for sure.

So out of curiosity, how do all the other arts here test?

Our belt tests are broken into 3 sections pretty much like this:

Pattern specific to belt
Pre-arranged section specific to belt (after yellow, this is a 2 person exercise with pre-arranged offensive/defensive moves like I mentioned earlier)
Open free sparring for 2 minutes

Black belt testing includes the above but also board breaking and special techniques. Also the masters can and will spot test the candidate to do any of the previous belt patterns/pre-arranged at any time, in any order.

While I'm at it, here is our belt progression.

White
Yellow
Yellow-green stripe
Green
Green - blue stripe
Blue
Blue - red stripe
Red
Red-Black stripe

Black

Double promotions are possible, albeit very rare and actually not a good thing IMHO as the student then needs to memorize both new patterns and pre-arranged sets. A real double edged sword.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For us, failures or non passing isn't common but it can certainly happen. Especially the more senior the belt, the more fussy and perfectionist the grading will be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Regarding fail rates, I'd say black is probably (best guess) 60%+ for at least part of it. However, they'll allow just a retest of the failed section, so an entire retest isn't necessary.

Also there is a fitness test for blackbelt candidates that they have to pass. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think they take a baseline at the beginning of the process and expect an improvement on it or, if it's excellent, no backsliding. Regardless of age, if you're 17 or 60. We do have a few current active BBs that earned it past 50.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would ace a fatness test
:burger:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Agreed. You earned the rank. If you were changing schools, I'd ask but same school, it shouldn't be in question.

And I'll echo everyone else, don't worry about your age or shape. That's why you're going to train.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think there is minimal, if any, misogynist feelings at our club. I would say our blackbelts are about 40% female and many are ferocious. The female body type lends itself really well to TKD and their kicks in particular can be amazing.

First time I sparred a 2nd dan female when I was a green stripe and ended up with a black eye and a bloody nose for my trouble.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL, no, they don't try to beat up junior belts on purpose. More a newbie mistake on my side of coming in closer when I shouldn't have and thinking I could take advantage of a bit of timing. I was wrong and got the foot in my face for trying. She felt terrible.

But the advanced women in our club are all excellent and super friendly. Their kicks are just so high and effortless, every male over 30 just :sigh: when we watch them because our bodies just can't do what they are able to do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, had work meetings out of town all this week so I'm just exhausted. But our club is hosting our big bi-annual invitational tournament this weekend so working with about 30 of us were busting our asses setting it up last night from about 7 to 10pm. Expecting something like 400 competitors from 8 or 9 clubs and another several hundred spectators.

I'm going to be working a table doing time or penalty logs, so it will be fun with manpower management as I'm competing as well.

Here's to hoping it goes smoothly. T-minus 1 hour 25 minutes right now.

drat, I'm going to be worn out come Sunday night and need another weekend.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 14, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Came in 3rd in my division in point sparring. Didn't expect to do well seeing who was in my division, so I'm OK with that. Didn't compete in continuous.

I was an inch from moving up - sparring the guy that won 1st. He trains with me and I always lose to him. He's a red belt, 2 more years experience than me, younger than me, 3-4" taller than me, very fast with great reach with both kicks and punches. However, I landed the first 3 points and had a decent lead the entire match. About 10 secs left, he got a couple of questionable points (it happens, I thought I solidly blocked them), but I was still ahead by 1 as the clock was at 2-3 seconds.

If I was thinking I would have just backed away for the couple secs and kept out of his reach but I ain't so smart and got closer and he got a kick off, 2 points as the timer hit. It was a great match though.

Team blackbelt point sparring in particular was some of the most exciting sparring I've ever seen anywhere. The should televise that stuff. 3 participants per team, super fast and free flowing tag in/out when there was a break in play for point votes.

Our team in particular was anchored by a 6 Dan master (late 40s) who runs one of our satellite dojangs followed up by 2 early 20s 3rd Dans that were both phenomenal (came in 1st/2nd in individuals). I am kicking myself for not videoing it but the master in particular was awesome to watch. Dude was technical as gently caress but oh, so god drat fast.

Also, those mats that made up the rings were awesome. I wish we used those everyday.

Highlight was meeting Grand Master CK Choi. Super nice, mellow, genuinely friendly guy. I was walking back to the ring I was running and had to go by the head table, bowed towards him, he bowed back and put his hands out to shake mine but he didn't notice I had a muffin and coffee in my hands so he let out a big laugh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In my experience, one of the biggest things when trying to do a powerful punch is the habit pulling it a bit, even unintentionally. Make sure you are going THROUGH the target if that makes sense. If you're just trying to hit the target front and center, and not the back of the target, that's probably a big part of it there. That and speed. You can be very strong but velocity of your fist/arm makes a big different in kinetic energy.

Also, officially a blue belt now :cool: More than halfway to black, but it keeps getting tougher and tougher. Instructors definitely getting more fussy on technique. We were drilling weds night and we were doing reverse hook kicks, and I could finally pull them off with some speed and technique and not lose balance. That's been a tough kick for me so I feel pretty good about that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question to ask the guys here, especially ones that aren't rail skinny:

Where do you wear your belt? Just over your hips in about the place a pants belt would go or higher up, closer to your navel?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wear mine lower down, closer to my hips like a regular belt but I can't help but think wearing it higher and keeping it tight enough to not come loose would not be helpful for your diaphragm and breathing when doing hardcore cardio work, which we do a significant portion each class.

Does it effect your breathing at all wearing it higher like that? I presume it doesn't or else you wouldn't?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

Will a 1.5 weave gi hang dry enough in 48hrs? Or do you guys who train every other day buy two gi tops?

E: also, the real mystery isn't how to knot your belt, but how to keep your gi pants from slipping.
So, stupid but honest question that never occurred to me - do most people not wash their gi's/doboks after every class? I've literally never even thought of that before. I have 2 doboks that I wear interchangeably, and thinking of buying a 3rd because I typically train 3x per week and they are god drat SOAKED, liked drenched, absolutely sweat logged soaked after every class... especially lately because testing is coming up so they run/cardio the bag off us. I can't imagine the funk coming off them if they aren't washed after every class. It'd be worse than a hockey bag.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: nevermind

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 16, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For you guys that travel, have you ever tried just calling up/dropping by a club of your affiliated sport to see if you could drop in for a class? If so, what was the response/reception?

I know we've hosted a couple "strangers" from time to time and everyone has been super friendly to them as far as I know, but not sure if that's a common occurrence or not?

Also, got rid of my universal gym because I never use it and bought a heavy bag and stand. The stand has studs for plates. Any idea what I'll need for weight for plates? Or, do you see a downside to just using a few sandbags or something draped over the legs?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, I'll call them up next time I'm in town.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LLJKSiLk posted:

I've enrolled myself and my daughter for a year into a place which teaches Tang Soo Do. It gives us something to do together and I'm looking at it like a couple of extra cardio sessions per week as well.

Currently, we're doing two 45-minute sessions per week, and there are 12 weeks in each "rotation" of training. I'm looking for advice on getting the most out of it. We plan on practicing some stuff at home, and next week I was going to make it a point for us to do at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing moves and our form for when it comes time to test for a belt.

Are there any accessories anyone would recommend I have at home and the best place to purchase things? i.e. kick targets/pads that sort of thing.

Thanks.

We have some sort of black belt Tang Soo Do practitioner that trains with us at Traditional TKD. He says there is a lot of similarity and fits in quite well.

2x a week, especially not even an hour each is really not much. Can you train more? Like extra classes? Since you have a partner kick paddles and pads are certainly helpful for home practice if you have the room, but you really need to be confident your not practicing poor technique all the time at home or else your going to be setting that to memory and it will be that much harder to lose.

Amazon is where I bought my paddles but I buy my gear at the club.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Personally I'd still try to do extra classes even if it's duplication. You will need a lot of duplication to get proficient at techniques anyhow, so that's not a bad thing. Maybe videos for the days you can't do classes? Heck I'd do more than 2x a week just for the fitness angle if nothing else. Videos are great, but just to be clear videos are not a substitute for someone senior watching your technique.... which I know you are not saying it is.

I am not familiar with TSD but our warm ups take near 20 minutes and our cool downs at the end is 5-10. 45 minute class wouldn't leave much time for drills/practical work. Do they have you do much warm up?

The DVD is not a bad idea. Our club has videos made by our masters (up to black stripe) which includes all the patterns, pre-arranged and techniques which are available for download by members. So I guess it's sort of similar.

I am curious to hear about Tang Soo Do. I'm not very familiar with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willie_dee posted:

Update. Moped crime has significantly decreased now police officers are allowed to ram them.

The big thing now is knife defence. The only thing I've ever heard that's worth doing if confronted with a knife is run.

If running isn't an option. Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of survival against someone with a knife?

Best option is to not get in the position to need them in the first place, but there absolutely are knife defense moves. We recently spent a class focusing on knife defense and it was incredibly interesting since it was so different from what we typically do. You're not going to learn it on a forum though and needs to be taught from someone in person that knows what the hell they are doing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willie_dee posted:

Did you try it using marker pens? Because every video I've seen that's impartial shows the defense tactics do gently caress all and people end up with a poo poo ton of marker on them.

Liquid Communism posted:

Isn't knife defense mostly about accepting that you're going to get cut, and then learning how to keep those cuts to the places you're likely to live long enough to get medical help before you bleed out?

I've only ever seen the aftermath of a real knife fight once, but man did it stick with me.
Oh, you'll almost certainly get cut. Possibly die. It's foolish to think your going to get out unscathed, even against someone that's not skilled with a knife.

We used wooden knives and between my partner and myself we noticed we bruised each other up pretty good on our arms and torso when we were changing for class the next day.

I don't think anyone would argue the best way to "win" a knife fight is to avoid it at all costs. Run, scream for help, give the guy your wallet, cry, whatever. But if getting attacked is going to happen whether you like it or not, hopefully the attacker doesn't know how to use a knife. You will still almost certainly get cut, but there are some techniques which give you a chance to defend yourself.

As none of us knew how to use knives, we were attacking as best we could during class and some of the techniques worked. Some not so much, especially if the attacker did a last moment change.

Either way, this isn't really a specific martial arts thing so much as general self defense and you are not going to learn anything without a lot of one on one training with someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

But yep, still a good chance you're going to die.

e: \/ I think there is some logic there \/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Feet and head seem to air out ok for me, it's my gloves which are tricky. Glove dogs and maybe a dryer sheet seem to work well. Put them in the when wet and the really help reduce the funk.